• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 cbs getting injured is worst case scenario, and very unlikely to happen. If that were to happen, a back 4 would suffice. It's not like the back 4 would be for 90 minutes either. What are the chances of 2 cbs getting injured within the first 45 minutes?

Carrick can also fill in at cb as well if it comes down to it. He didn't have a problem doing that the past couple of matches.

Finally, if he's so worried about the defensive stability of a back 4, why not switch away from the diamond if he's forced to go to a back 4? Wingers will always do more defensive work than the 2 strikers needing to be up the pitch.

No matter how you look at it, I see no reason to have two cb subs with 3 cbs already on the pitch and Rafael on the bench as well.

3 players on the bench covering 5. To me that seems reasonable considering their injury record. I don't see the issue with that if he wants to play with a back 3. Is there a player in particular you'd rather see on the bench?

I never even noticed that Januzaj isn't in the squad. Another injury or maybe those loan rumours are true.

That's part of the reason why I didn't like seeing 2 cbs on the bench. We can't switch our attacking formation if it doesn't work out. Wilson being subbed on doesn't change the top 3 positions. Neither does Pereira. If you switch to a back 4 with Rafael at rb and Valencia at rw, there is no lw. It just doesn't make sense.

But I will believe in Dear Leader.

3 players on the bench covering 5. To me that seems reasonable considering their injury record. I don't see the issue with that if he wants to play with a back 3. Is there a player in particular you'd rather see on the bench?

Our injuries are bad, but if we happen to get injuries and are still able to have 3 natural defenders in a back 4 (2 cbs + Rafael), well.... I don't exactly understand what's so bad about that from a defensive standpoint. Like I said, if a back 3 must absolutely be in, Carrick can always fill in at cb. It's worked the past couple of matches.

I would rather Januzaj be an option off the bench. He doesn't have to play, but it gives us the option to play wingers should the current attacking formation not work.

Januzaj of course.

Little do they know, he like Clevgod will end up in Villa a few years from now.

I gave up on Januzaj when he turned into valencia. He needs a loan move in January.

Nobody should give up on a 19 year old who has played about 400 minutes. Otherwise, what's keeping you from giving up on Wilson who has not done much for the attack in all of the minutes he's been getting recently? 19 year olds will go through bad streaks. That's part of being 19 years old. Not everyone is like Messi, Rooney, or Fabregas.

It's all about having the right attacking and defensive options on the bench. I think the defensive options are overkill.

inky

BT has Rooney down as Carrick's partner in midfield.

It's 3-5-2, so it's safe to assume that he is working in some midfielder capacity, and considering Mata doesn't defend well, Mata will most likely be the AMF, and Rooney will sit a little bit back, probably working box to box.

Michael Owen's commentating
nt5j5sS.png

L1NETT

Season's greetings folks

So full of stuffing i may explode at any moment

Still, C'MON CIIIITTTY

oh and Bungie...see the Brentford result. Eesh. Big Mick could be coming to the prem soon, that Ipswich team look gooooood

That's part of the reason why I didn't like seeing 2 cbs on the bench. We can't switch our attacking formation if it doesn't work out. Wilson being subbed on doesn't change the top 3 positions. Neither does Pereira. If you switch to a back 4 with Rafael at rb and Valencia at rw, there is no lw. It just doesn't make sense.

But I will believe in Dear Leader.

Our injuries are bad, but if we happen to get injuries and are still able to have 3 natural defenders in a back 4 (2 cbs + Rafael), well.... I don't exactly understand what's so bad about that from a defensive standpoint. Like I said, if a back 3 must absolutely be in, Carrick can always fill in at cb. It's worked the past couple of matches.

I would rather Januzaj be an option off the bench. He doesn't have to play, but it gives us the option to play wingers should the current attacking formation not work.

I'm just guessing, but maybe he thinks that for defence to be comfortable in this system he can't keep switching it when a player gets injured. He's persisting with it, and clearly the defence is not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom