• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Midfielder Frank Lampard, 36, is set to give Manchester City a New Year boost by extending his loan spell at the club and delay his arrival at Major League Soccer side New York City FC until at least mid-February. (Daily Mirror)
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is keen to sign Celtic's 6ft 4in Dutch centre-half Virgil van Dijk, 23 but the Scottish club are believed to want more than £10m for the Gunners to secure his services. (The Sun - subscription required)
Liverpool face competition from Arsenal in their bid to sign Manchester City midfielder James Milner, 28, on a free transfer in the summer, though the Blues are confident the England international will remain with them. (Daily Express)
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert insists England midfielder Fabian Delph, 25, Dutch World Cup star Ron Vlaar, 29, and £20m-rated striker Christian Benteke, 24, are going nowhere in the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

OTHER GOSSIP
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Sam Allardyce should be named Manager of the Year if West Ham finish in the top four. (The Sun - subscription required)
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman believes stopping Crystal Palace wide-man Yannick Bolasie is key to his side maintaining their impressive record on Boxing Day. (Daily Mirror)
Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli, 24, has been warned by manager Brendan Rodgers that he needs to get used to life on the bench and change his style of play. (Daily Mail)
Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 21, says the club's new generation of players would welcome Thierry Henry back at the club in a coaching capacity. (Daily Telegraph)
Alan Pardew says his Newcastle players must resurrect their season with victory at Old Trafford on Friday, despite only winning once there in the past 42 years. (Independent)
West Brom are confident defender Joleon Lescott, 32, can withstand the busy Christmas period after it was revealed he has a personally tailored training regime. (The Times - subscription required)
Liverpool will dig up the Anfield pitch next summer at the request of manager Brendan Rodgers because he believes it undermines his team's passing game. (Daily Telegraph)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Hull City defender Curtis Davies, 29, had some Christmas company as his side prepared for their away game at Sunderland on Friday. "Me &my boy Olaf just chilling!" he tweeted. "About to turn on The American Office! So goodnight all hope you all had a great day."
West Ham striker Andy Carroll, 25, and his Towie star fiancee Billi Mucklow got into the Christmas spirit and revealed they are to become parents in 2015 with a picture hashtagged #OurLittlePudding
Stoke's Robert Huth clearly didn't get the presents he was looking for this year - he simply tweeted: "I hate Christmas."

AND FINALLY...
Former Italy defender Andrea Dossena, 33, who was released by Sunderland last summer, has revealed he surfed the internet to see which teams around Europe had sold a left-back and ordered his agent to enquire if those clubs would be interested in signing him. (The Sun - subscription required)
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has told Newcastle counterpart Alan Pardew and other bosses they are wasting their time ranting and raving on the touchline. The Dutchman prefers to stay seated on the bench and believes it is pointless to do otherwise. (Daily Mirror)
Chelsea chiefs have met supporters in a bid to improve the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge with designated singing sections and individuals to lead the songs among the proposals. (Daily Mail)

uO8LJfX.gif

ll7iHF5.gif

The penis bounce.
CZooEXr.png

A far more inconsistent team.

Yet only 3 points behind...

There's 3 cbs on the pitch. If 2 cbs get injured we can always switch to a back 4. 1 starting cb remains, a cb and Rafael is subbed in making the back 4.

But the last couple of games he seems content with playing people out of position rather than switching from a back 3. So if it's that important to him and those centre halves are made of paper, why not put two on the bench?

Wabba

I am so fucking tired of all the injuries we have had this year. What are people made off? Why can't they train muscles and pre workouts that prevents all the damage to the body. Something has to be done, when Chelsea can play there best men all year and we have made more changes that is common for a regular team in 3 years.

Jarnet87

Same embarrassing lineup as the Villa game. The only chance United take all three points is if they squeeze out a 1-0 win.

Like Clegg pointed out this has been going on for awhile. Oddly enough it was the year Ronaldo and tevez left that it started to happen. 09-10 was the beginning of the yearly back line crisis with Carrick and even fletcher having to fill in before his stomach problem iirc.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I thought Toyota's new tech in our medical facility was supposed to help with injuries :(

Woody got scammed!

That line from the simpsons

Dr. Hibbert: Well, we can't fix his heart, but we can tell you exactly how damaged it is.
Homer: What an age we live in.

inky

Costa 1 goal 1 assist. What a time to have captained Alexis for this gameweek's FPL.

De Gea, Valencia, Jones, Evans, McNair, Young, Carrick, Mata, Rooney, Van Persie, Falcao

United’s subs vs Newcastle: Lindegaard, Rafael, Smalling, Blackett, Fletcher, A.Pereira, Wilson

Wtf where's ADM?

What a fucking joke. Ugh. Good to see Falcon starting again at least =/

But the last couple of games he seems content with playing people out of position rather than switching from a back 3. So if it's that important to him and those centre halves are made of paper, why not put two on the bench?

2 cbs getting injured is worst case scenario, and very unlikely to happen. If that were to happen, a back 4 would suffice. It's not like the back 4 would be for 90 minutes either. What are the chances of 2 cbs getting injured within the first 45 minutes?

Carrick can also fill in at cb as well if it comes down to it. He didn't have a problem doing that the past couple of matches.

Finally, if he's so worried about the defensive stability of a back 4, why not switch away from the diamond if he's forced to go to a back 4? Wingers will always do more defensive work than the 2 strikers needing to be up the pitch.

No matter how you look at it, I see no reason to have two cb subs with 3 cbs already on the pitch and Rafael on the bench as well.

Jarnet87

Supply El Tigre. It'll be okay.

Lol good luck. Rooney will be too busy doing sideways balls to Valencia, mata will get swallowed up evertytime he receives it since no one will make a run from midfield. The only hope is a beautifully picked ball from Carrick or a 1 in 100 decent cross from young/Valencia.

EpGv626.gif

meanwhile remy isn't even in the squad

How does it make you feel?

Angry because Drogba will score against Arsenal even when he's 42?

With all the talk about Kramaric and that Benfica forward, I wouldn't be surprised if Remy left again already. Getting the Mata threatment, maybe that will get United to buy him.

Meier

Kept Azpi on the bench thinking West Ham may score with 3 seemingly easier defensive games. Bummed that Amalfitano shot didn't sneak in..

Lol good luck. Rooney will be too busy doing sideways balls to Valencia, mata will get swallowed up evertytime he receives it since no one will make a run from midfield. The only hope is a beautifully picked ball from Carrick or a 1 in 100 decent cross from young/Valencia.

Good thing Carrick is a midfielder today over Fletcher. He can supply the forwards better. However, 3 cbs, the young valencia combo, and Rppmey spraying balls out to Valencia is going to leave the 2 strikers with shit service.

Hopefully Newcastle is absolutely shit today.

bud

How does it make you feel?

Angry because Drogba will score against Arsenal even when he's 42?

With all the talk about Kramaric and that Benfica forward, I wouldn't be surprised if Remy left again already. Getting the Mata threatment, maybe that will get United to buy him.

you give me a time and a place, i give you a five minute window.

Good result for Liverpool, can't bring myself to be happy about a Chelsea win though :p

Is that an all-British Burnley team? Nice to seem, as UKIP as that sounds

Not got a clue how this game will go. I expect a decent performance, I'm afraid of dismal finishing, I fear that we'll crumble as soon as the first thing goes against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom