• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Anyone watching confed cup final?

Ref spent a few minutes watching a replay of this

https://twitter.com/matt_wiles1/status/881595116842037249

then gave a yellow....

I want VAR to be a thing but it seems like they're intentionally misusing it this point.

The refs in the Confederations Cup at times often felt like they were intentionally being obtuse. We have seen it used in qualifiers and friendlies with great effect. The Confederations Cup wasn't a good example and from a few tweets by different officials it looks like many of the refs weren't following protocol.

The Prem refs seem to really want the tech I would much prefer them to trail the tech here instead where they will do their best to use the tech properly.

acohrs

Carlo is a great coach, but he's never been a consecutive season winner. Tends to overachieve in one or two seasons then have an off-season, then win. Don't know why that happens, but it has seemed to be the case at nearly every club he's been at

TimmmV

I really don't get where this Keita hype is coming from.

If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd want Liverpool to 'Liverpool' this transfer.

I dunno, after being so sceptical about Mane and then being proven thoroughly wrong I'm happy to trust Klopp with this one, even if £70m does seem a ridiculous amount to spend on one player

Am much more comfortable with £70m being spent on Keita than £60m being spent on VvD for sure though. As good as VvD is, your defence is only as good as its weakest player, so spending that much money on one CB when there is still no reliable left back always seemed pretty short sighted.

I dunno, after being so skeptical about Mane and then being proven thoroughly wrong, I'm happy to trust Klopp with this one, even if £70m does seem a ridiculous amount to spend on one player

Am much more comfortable with £70m being spent on Keita than £60m being spent on VvD for sure though. As good as VvD is, your defence is only as good as its weakest player, so spending that much money on one CB when there is still no reliable left back always seemed pretty short sighted.

I saw some talk that he's at least one of the top 5 players in the Bundesliga, and he's 22. This might be our chance to get in early on someone who hasn't even hit their ceiling. And the Mane point is totally true, at this point I trust Klopp for getting the players he wants.

TimmmV

I saw some talk that he's at least one of the top 5 players in the Bundesliga, and he's 22. This might be our chance to get in early on someone who hasn't even hit their ceiling. And the Mane point is totally true, at this point I trust Klopp for getting the players he wants.

Yeah, all the info going round makes him sound ace and perfectly suited to the way Klopp has Liverpool playing.

The converse to that (which is still a worry), is that if he's so great, why aren't bigger clubs going for him too? It does seem a bit odd to be paying up to £70m for a player when there isn't a bidding war for him

But yeah, Klopp has more than earned the benefit of the doubt, so am happy to trust in him with this one.

The problem is if you don't buy Keita this summer, you know that all the top clubs will be hovering over him the next...

He's supposed to have a £50m release clause next summer too. Hopefully that's the reason why there aren't more clubs going in for him now!

Carbonox

DDzuM9GXYAEz6G9.jpg
That's not a weird sight at all.

Today, one of the portuguese "newspapers" says Arsenal offered Sporting 80 million euros for Gelson and William.

A lot of people are raising an eyebrow at this deal given that Mendes is his agent and his involvement with Wolves

Porto needs money badly because of the uefa financial fair play or else they might get suspended. Nuno, now the Wolves coach, didn't even played him at Porto. This is Jorge Mendes coming to the rescue and giving them the money.

The day Mendes gets thoroughly investigated, half the football world will be fucked. They are all in it.

Tunoku

Seems like more people are reporting about the Mahrez deal. Signing him and Lacazette before Australia would be huge.

Westlo

Maybe Lukaku said he'll leave if there's no ambition at the club, so they got the cheque book out.

Unless we got offered something silly (like 100m) we'll be better off keeping him. Same with Arsenal and Sanchez....

Still need a rb.....

faridmon

Unless we got offered something silly (like 100m) we'll be better off keeping him. Same with Arsenal and Sanchez....

Still need a rb.....

We don't need a RB. Coleman and Jonjo Kenny and occasionally Holgate can be deployed there.

If anything we have a shortage of LB

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Liverpool’s defence remains a problematic area for Klopp, but Keïta would undoubtedly improve their midfield. His ability to play in any number of roles in Klopp’s favoured 4-3-3 formation is part of the reason the manager is keen on the Leipzig No8. Only Ousmane Dembélé (103) completed more dribbles than Keïta (83) in the Bundesliga last season, while only Nabil Bentaleb (nine) played more accurate through balls than the young Guinean (seven).

Keïta won possession in the midfield third 37 more times (180) than any other Bundesliga player last season. He also scored eight goals and provided seven assists showing that, as far as midfielders go, he is a master of all trades. His rating of 7.60 earned him a place in our Bundesliga team of the season in his first year in Germany.

Via Ben McAleer in the Guardian

Godan

So Lacazette having a medical right now and seen a few reports that Alexis might accept our new contact offer which is around £300k a week.

Pachimari

Seems like Real Betis have cancelled the meeting with Real Madrid for Ceballos until he makes up his mind on which team he wanna join.

Beefy

Players linked to Southampton:

Izzy Brown
Yann Karamoh
Stuart Armstrong
And some Greek cb

If these are true it looks like we will have a very young team

Beefy

Fiorentina director has just hinted the following deals:
Bernardeschi-Juventus (for 40m€)
Borja Valero-Inter (5m€)
Kalinic-Milan (30m€)

So glad Lacazette is finally done. We've finally signed a top striker, now let's keep Sanchez and Ozil! If we do then we'll be a competitive force this season.

Beefy

So glad Lacazette is finally done. We've finally signed a top striker, now let's keep Sanchez and Ozil! If we do then we'll be a competitive force this season.

Chilean media : Alexis Sanchez has decided to stay at Arsenal and signed a new contract for €10m a year

Top Bottom