• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Stubo

Januzaj fee of £9.8m supposedly agreed with Real Sociedad.

Hopefully mistakes have been learned from and there'll be a 25m buyback or there abouts. Could still be great with the right development.

We never bought world class players to begin with.
Our club legends were in another time, the team from 1999-2001 also had no real world class player, maybe Kahn on some days. Ribery was known in 2007, but far away from world class. Robben always had potential but his injuries always stopped him from becoming a world class player. Neuer, Thiago, Lewandowski, Boateng became world class at Bayern. James is the first transfer in Bayerns history where a player with world wide fame and proven world class is joining the club. Yes, we bought Vidal and Alonso, but James is the same level as Pogba, Hazard, Verratti etc.
Lewy and Neuer were world class before they arrived, they just weren't in big clubs beforehand. Neuer had one of the greatest performances of all time by a keeper literally a season before he joined Bayern vs Porto in the 2nd leg. Lewy was clearly one of the best strikers in the world on Dortmund.

As for James, I am finding it very difficult to get hyped over his transfer, but I will give him time. Hugely underwhelming since they went after Sanchez previously...

Pachimari

James was insanely good, especially toward the end of our campaign, whenever he got minutes. He distributed the ball well, and had some perfect sitters. If I was a Bayern supporter, I would be ecstatic.

Jack cw

Lewy and Neuer were world class before they arrived, they just weren't in big clubs beforehand. Neuer had one of the greatest performances of all time by a keeper literally a season before he joined Bayern vs Porto in the 2nd leg. Lewy was clearly one of the best strikers in the world on Dortmund.

As for James, I am finding it very difficult to get hyped over his transfer, but I will give him time. Hugely underwhelming since they went after Sanchez previously...

2 performances that showed their potential is not consistent world class at all.
That game from Neuer against Porto was surely incredible, yet a once in a lifetime game. The way he evolved goalkeeper play as an 11th field player and how he saved many impossible strikes by anticipation were because his coach Toni Tapalovic at Bayern worked with him and expanded the conventional goalie on the line game.

Same with Lewandowski and his magic night against Real. Klopp made him a fantastic counter striker, but he shows his world class every 3 days in a possession holding team with defensive lines of 8 men inside their box. There are many great strikers that finish outstanding when there is space, but the three best strikers in the world play against teams only parking the bus.

We never bought complete world class, unless we were able to get them because of an ending contract (Hummels, Vidal, maybe Sanchez). All our transfers in the last decade were players close to reaching world class.

James proved his quality. Outstanding in his NT and every time he played for Real, he delivered and scored, so yes, this transfer is a new level for Bayern - one of the best players in the world joined our squad.

TeddyBoy

If Sakho was available for that sum, he would be a Palace player again by now. ;)

Loftus-Cheek signed for a season att Palace now att least. Hope that loan turns out better then what Bamford and Remy did.

Oh haha, I hope you do sign Sakho, I still love him as a player but he seems happy with you guys :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Neuer was already Germany goalkeeper and Lewa won Bundesliga. That's world class.

I think you are talking about two different things. World class players vs. world class transfers. At the time of transfer to Bayern both Neuer and Lewa were already great players, but not world class. Bayern is expected to buy the best talent from Germany, but neither of those would have been considered a world class transfer outside Germany at that time. Now yes, but not back then.

Jack cw

Neuer was already Germany goalkeeper and Lewa won Bundesliga. That's world class.

Rene Adler was Germany's N.1 back then and if winning Bundeslolga is a seal of world class then Ailton is fat Ronaldo levels of great.

Anyway, thanks for your world class shit post, m8.

Tunoku

This third kit looks NOICE

DEdw-lCXcAEZATD.jpg:large

m9k2z.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
I think you are talking about two different things. World class players vs. world class transfers. At the time of transfer to Bayern both Neuer and Lewa were already great players, but not world class. Bayern is expected to buy the best talent from Germany, but neither of those would have been considered a world class transfer outside Germany at that time. Now yes, but not back then.
Not sure what meaningful distinction you're trying to make between the two but Real Madrid was interested in buying Lewa before he went to Bayern. I mean he won two Bundesligas and took his team to the CL final. Absolutely a 'world class transfer'. There would have been more clubs interested in purchasing if it wasn't obvious that Bayern had tapped him up earlier.
Rene Adler was Germany's N.1 back then and if winning Bundeslolga is a seal of world class then Ailton is fat Ronaldo levels of great.

Anyway, thanks for your world class shit post, m8.
FFS I can just quote Wikipedia to prove you're wrong:
Adler, however, suffered a serious rib injury which ruled him out of the upcoming 2010 World Cup – Neuer became Germany's first choice goalkeeper ahead of Tim Wiese and Hans-Jörg Butt for the tournament.

Neuer was selected as Germany's number one goalkeeper for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.[62] During the group stages, he only conceded a single goal, a close range shot by Milan Jovanović in the match against Serbia. He provided the assist for Miroslav Klose's opening goal against England, winning 4–1. He played in all of Germany's World Cup matches apart from the third-place game against Uruguay, when Hans-Jörg Butt was rewarded with a spot in the starting lineup.[63]

Neuer played every minute of every match in the qualification campaign for UEFA Euro 2012, helping Germany to secure ten wins out of ten games...

Neuer was first choice for Germany at the 2010 World Cup — that's literally world class.

Moobabe

I always thought the definition of "World Class" was pretty simple...

Would that player be in a world XI or XI + subs?

Neuer? Guaranteed. Lewa? Hmmmm maybe

DBT85

I always thought the definition of "World Class" was pretty simple...

Would that player be in a world XI or XI + subs?

Neuer? Guaranteed. Lewa? Hmmmm maybe

Just limiting it to the best 18 seems daft. Plenty of players just wouldn't get in because there are others in their position.

Like if you have Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez, Messi, where does Sanchez fit in? Does anyone think he isn't world class?

Jin_7

Robben always had potential but his injuries always stopped him from becoming a world class player. Neuer, Thiago, Lewandowski, Boateng became world class at Bayern.

Robben was always stopped from becoming world class while Thiago has become world class already at Bayern?

As far as I can remember Robben made the difference in a lot of the big important matches for Bayern. I don't see why he would be excluded from that status just because of frequent injuries and some others not. Thiago was also injured for a long time.

Robben was one of the most important players in the recent successful years for Bayern. He would be one of the first I would think of as world class if i think about Bayern players ( as a non fan).

Moobabe

Just limiting it to the best 18 seems daft. Plenty of players just wouldn't get in because there are others in their position.

Like if you have Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez, Messi, where does Sanchez fit in? Does anyone think he isn't world class?

Could you make a case for picking Sanchez over any of them?

spidye

Robben was always stopped from becoming world class while Thiago has become world class already at Bayern?

As far as I can remember Robben made the difference in a lot of the big important matches for Bayern. I don't see why he would be excluded from that status just because of frequent injuries and some others not. Thiago was also injured for a long time.

Robben was one of the most important players in the recent successful years for Bayern. He would be one of the first I would think of as world class if i think about Bayern players ( as a non fan).

I think he meant his years at chelsea or real

Robben became world class in munich

DBT85

Just got Sky Sport added to my account and a 60% discount applied. Box Sets and Sport in HD for £28.60 a month. Just in time for the season.

2 performances that showed their potential is not consistent world class at all.
That game from Neuer against Porto was surely incredible, yet a once in a lifetime game. The way he evolved goalkeeper play as an 11th field player and how he saved many impossible strikes by anticipation were because his coach Toni Tapalovic at Bayern worked with him and expanded the conventional goalie on the line game.

Same with Lewandowski and his magic night against Real. Klopp made him a fantastic counter striker, but he shows his world class every 3 days in a possession holding team with defensive lines of 8 men inside their box. There are many great strikers that finish outstanding when there is space, but the three best strikers in the world play against teams only parking the bus.

We never bought complete world class, unless we were able to get them because of an ending contract (Hummels, Vidal, maybe Sanchez). All our transfers in the last decade were players close to reaching world class.

James proved his quality. Outstanding in his NT and every time he played for Real, he delivered and scored, so yes, this transfer is a new level for Bayern - one of the best players in the world joined our squad.
It wasn't two performances, he was world class the entire season and amazing for years on end previously. And someone can be world class and still improve like Neuer did. That's like saying Messi and Ronaldo weren't world class until 3-4 years ago.. Like what?

Lewandowski is not debatable at all and I have no idea why you're even bothering with this, just crazy talk. He was world class and was wanted by all the top clubs in the world including Madrid. The only reason he chose Bayern is because he was a legit Bayern fan, which is common for a lot of polish kids when they grow up. I don't where this complete bs is coming from, but Vidal and Hummels are both also 100% world class players. Before and after, even though Hummels played like human feces in the Madrid tie along with Boateng. You have some weird metric on how world class someone is, but you're wrong all 4 of these players, esp the latter 3. Neuer is a generational talent though, dude is the Messi and Ronaldo of the goalkeeping and would easily end up being the GOAT NT GK if Loew wasn't such an amateur on the tactical level (he should have won another trophy by now instead of just 2010)

As for James, I can't consider a guy who was on the bench world class. He was great with Carlo but Zizou has had issues with him and he hasn't been great. Saying that, like you said he is great for the NT and was a boss early into his RM career, but I'm still rather cynical about it all. Saying that, I'm not gonna count him out yet.

casiopao

Milan want Bonucci

Some news said that Milan is offering cash+MDS+Romagnoli.

If thats true, i would had no problemo with Bonucci leaving. Our CB right now is too congested that having Bonnuci is already a luxury for Juventus.

Rugani,Benatia,Chiellini,Barzagli,and Caldara already put us with 5 CB for 2 position only and this is not counting Bonucci lol.

DBT85

Just got on the Groupon for 12 months of half price BT Sport. Giddy right now. Never had sports on my Sky subs in 8 years and now I have everything available £25 a month lol

Might submit a complaint that some of my money goes toward paying for Owen's commentary though.

Moobabe

Bakayoko deal done I guess. Expect announcement on Friday.

Sauce?

I don't doubt you, I just really want him signed...

Edit

Also can any Spanish footy GAFfers talk to me about Danilo? We're supposedly in for him - which seems a little odd with Moses, Azpi and (apparently) Rudiger all able to play RWB, yet we only have Alonso for LWB.

casiopao

Sauce?

I don't doubt you, I just really want him signed...

Edit

Also can any Spanish footy GAFfers talk to me about Danilo? We're supposedly in for him - which seems a little odd with Moses, Azpi and (apparently) Rudiger all able to play RWB, yet we only have Alonso for LWB.

......ummm i had question to u guys Chelsea fans here. Do u guys had some kind of head scouting? As i Chelsea target....seems to be more or less Juventus target too lol.

Moobabe

......ummm i had question to u guys Chelsea fans here. Do u guys had some kind of head scouting? As i Chelsea target....seems to be more or less Juventus target too lol.

Who knows how the hell we pick players! We have a "committee," which seems to be the vogue right now, that draws up lists and targets and, from what I understand, presents that to the manager.

I understand it, in principle, if your managers are short term then you can't be constantly tearing up plans every 2 years. But, on the other hand, I can imagine that that's, in part, WHY managers leave.

Look at Mourinho, for example. At Chelsea he was given Rahman, he was given Hector by the committee when he wanted John Stones. He signed Fabregas, Costa and Matic - then won the league.

Now he's gone to United and signed Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly - obviously Mourinho type signings.

Meanwhile Conte last year wanted Van Dijk, Bonucci etc and got Alonso (which worked out great!) and Luiz (also great!)

And this season the Standard (who are pretty good on London clubs) reckon he wanted Morata, but the club wanted Lukaku, so he relented and then we failed to get him anyway.

Top Bottom