• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

TimmmV

Fellani was just the starting point.

You guys just fucked it up that summer before getting him - iirc that summer United were going after Fabregas/Kroos first and missed out on both of them?

Or try to steal our scouting system, as you like our players so much. 😂

Also our local paper is saying we want way more then £50m

Jeez

Yeah, Liverpool shouldn't be paying that much for a defender at the moment, even if Sakho goes for £30m - the squad needs strengthening in all areas so putting all the eggs in one basket like that seems pretty short sighted.

Liverpool need to be rivalling Spurs/Dortmund/Atletico/Napoli for the types of players they are picking up for relatively cheap, and then trying to keep hold of them when the super clubs come for them, as opposed to spending these huge sums on 2-3 players

It sucks because thats really hard to do, but seems way more realistic than what some people are speculating at the moment

if Liverpool buy van Dijk I think they'll have enough stamps for a free player.

Bertrand could solve our LB issues.

thinking-face.png

CrayToes

Mo Salah's agent has supposedly agreed terms with Liverpool. Just need to meet Roma's asking price. That would be a fantastic start to the summer. I look forward to him joining Spurs while we spend £40m on Nathan Redmond.

That's true I guess. Still kinda silly. I mean, given a couple more years at the top level I'm sure he'll become one of the good goalkeepers around (not sure if ever "great", but time will tell), but right now he is not worth €40M, not by a long shot.

He isn't but third party has bumped the price up significantly and the owners seem happy to pay Mendes when he asks for it. If I could have it my way I'd make all teams that use third party ownership have their players with a buyout clause set by independent valuation. Ideally get FIFA and UEFA to pull there finger out and ban it completely.

At the moment City just need a competent keeper that can save as well as play out and Ederson seems more competent than Bravo and that is all we have as a keeper at the moment.

Jarnet87

You guys just fucked it up that summer before getting him - iirc that summer United were going after Fabregas/Kroos first and missed out

Summer of 2013 was Bale, Thiago and Fabregas, Kroos was to be the following year if Moyes had stayed. Many muppets were lost that summer. And they also overpaid for Fellaini by getting him on deadline day instead of early.

DBT85

You guys just fucked it up that summer before getting him - iirc that summer United were going after Fabregas/Kroos first and missed out on both of them?

Fabregas I think was confirmed yeah.

It was a ridiculous year though, no Fergie and no Gill for the first time in however long. Moyes didn't have the draw required to get big names, so we got Fellani.

Not sure that trying and failing to buy "Galacticos" makes us a Galactico club though.

The only really crazy spends have been Pogba and Di Maria so far in 4 complete seasons.

Then there was Bailly, Mepmphis, Schniderlin, Shaw, Herrera for a whopping £30m each, Martial for £36 (potentially a lot more) Miki for £35m, Darmian at £15m Schwieni for £7m, Rojo and Blind for £15m, Mata for £38m and Fellani for £28m

I'm not saying we're spending it well, but its hardly crazy fees or huge stars for the most part.

RocknRola

He isn't but third party has bumped the price up significantly and the owners seem happy to pay Mendes when he asks for it. If I could have it my way I'd make all teams that use third party ownership have their players with a buyout clause set by independent valuation. Ideally get FIFA and UEFA to pull there finger out and ban it completely.

At the moment City just need a competent keeper that can save as well as play out and Ederson seems more competent than Bravo and that is all we have as a keeper at the moment.

I think he'll do fine at City, especially if Bravo doesn't get his shit together, but yeah the whole pricing thing these days is utterly insane.

casiopao

I dont understand how both MU and MC can be free from FFP with that huge spending here.

I mean, even Juventus board is damn fearful of FFP with the salary problem lol.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
We want £70m + according to The Echo

I mean Everton got £50m for Stones and he's shite so yeah why not. Football is ridiculous.

I dont understand how both MU and MC can be free from FFP with that huge spending here.

in City's case they've just let a load of high earners go to make way.

Man U are the most valuable club in Europe so they've probably got a lot of headway. I also imagine it's the same as City too where getting rid of some of the long time wasters will free up a lot of money. Rooney alone must be on £300-400k a week now.

Both clubs have the revenue to afford it. The original FFP made City much stronger fiscally though it hit them harder than most initially but were expected to continue as they had been the year after the fines, then UEFA changed FFP and it just gave them a bigger boost. In City's case they have an owner that invests silly money so what they can spend is only really limited by FFP.

casiopao

Man U are the most valuable club in Europe so they've probably got a lot of headway. I also imagine it's the same as City too where getting rid of some of the long time wasters will free up a lot of money. Rooney alone must be on £300-400k a week now.

200 million each season spending should trigger that FFP though.

MC will just get another "sponsorship" via Etihad.

Man. The sport now is sooo unfair especially if one had sugar daddy helping.

Juventus is going to face must stronger competition now with both Milan receiving that chinese sugar daddy money while Juventus never received any help from Fiat hiks.

DBPV4NSXkAA7rDG

New sponsor.

I am going to miss calling Juventus stadium here.

At least got muney to spend.^^

TimmmV

Fabregas I think was confirmed yeah.

It was a ridiculous year though, no Fergie and no Gill for the first time in however long. Moyes didn't have the draw required to get big names, so we got Fellani.

Not sure that trying and failing to buy "Galacticos" makes us a Galactico club though.

The only really crazy spends have been Pogba and Di Maria so far in 4 complete seasons.

Then there was Bailly, Mepmphis, Schniderlin, Shaw, Herrera for a whopping £30m each, Martial for £36 (potentially a lot more) Miki for £35m, Darmian at £15m Schwieni for £7m, Rojo and Blind for £15m, Mata for £38m and Fellani for £28m

I'm not saying we're spending it well, but its hardly crazy fees or huge stars for the most part.

I think a fair few of those players (and failed attempts to sign other players) are at the least done as a statement of power which is what i was getting at with the Galactico thing

There is also the relative cost of a lot of those players vs the usual market cost too, like Falcaos loan fee, Ibrahimovic's wages, or the transfer fees paid for Shaw and Martial despite them both being teenagers, or a Mikhitaryan in the last year of his contract. Id also seem to remember Mata @ £38m being a lot more expensive at the time, its just the mental-ness of more recent transfer fees that makes that seem lower.

I think you can make a decent argument that a lot of the fees for these players have been fairly crazy actually

Syder

He isn't a dick head like Lallana or Lovren. I can see him going for about £65m, either this year or next
If the chance to play for Pep Guardiola arises I don't blame any player for wanting out, to be honest. I think that prospect would turn most heads. VvD is still pretty young for how accomplished a defender he already is, he can win it all really.

Beefy

If the chance to play for Pep Guardiola arises I don't blame any player for wanting out, to be honest. I think that prospect would turn most heads. VvD is still pretty young for how accomplished a defender he already is, he can win it all really.
It will turn his head sure, but he isn't unhappy here. I can see us saying give us one more year and we will let you go, like we did with Morgan(which worked). Unless a big bid comes in.

Man City fear they will be forced to pay more than £50m to sign Virgil van Dijk, according to Sky sources: https://t.co/63gsPVPF4D https://t.co/kEvvOZSfS6

casiopao

United get iirc £80m a year just from Adidas. With PL money on top plus all the other commercial deals, United have money to burn.

Damnnnn. Thats more or less a single Pogba every year bruh.... and thats not counting your other spending and crazy salary.O_O

Syder

It will turn his head sure, but he isn't unhappy here. I can see us saying give us one more year and we will let you go, like we did with Morgan(which worked). Unless a big bid comes in.
I think getting 1 more year out of him is going to be harder until your sort out your manager situation.

Syder

Klaas Jan Huntelaar has returned to Ajax
Striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has returned to a Ajax for a second spell after signing a one-year deal, the Eredivisie club has announced.

The 33-year-old, who recently ended a six-year stay with Schalke, won the KNVB Beker and Johan Cruyff Shield with the Amsterdam club between 2006 and 2008.

However, the Eredivisie title eluded him and Huntelaar feels he has unfinished business with this season's runners-up.

"It's no secret that Ajax are my club, so I'm very happy to be back here," he told their official website.

"I won cups with Ajax but not the league title. The goal is to have that trophy at the end of the season, along with the rest of the team.

"I feel very fit and I'm already looking forward to the end of June when the preparation starts."

Director of football Marc Overmars added: "I'm sure Klaas-Jan will play an important role for Ajax, both on and off the pitch."

Huntelaar made 24 appearances for Schalke last season, scoring five goals.

DBT85

Damnnnn. Thats more or less a single Pogba every year bruh.... and thats not counting your other spending and crazy salary.O_O
Yep. If they can shift Rooney off the wage bill too, and with schweini going in January we've cleared a fair amount off the wage bill too. Still to be seen what happens with Ibra.

Syder

The best thing about Rooney leaving United (presumably for China) is that it will be impossible for people to defend including him in the England set-up.

Zasa

Salah to Liverpool would be a brilliant signing, immediately solves the problem of goals from the left wing, & takes pressure off Mané at the same time. Could just as easily swap both wings & play Salah on his preferred right wing.

Either way, that front three will be devastating. Pace would be insane down the flanks & each player in that front three is easily capable of +15 goals a season, which is huge.

Beefy

Your board should've been more proactive in getting Marco Silva, I think.
He was never on the list according to people that are ITK. We tend to go with kind of out there appointments.

-------------

Also

Liverpool had seen rejected an offer for Roma's Salah of approx 30m€ according to Sky Italy

Audioboxer

United get iirc £80m a year just from Adidas. With PL money on top plus all the other commercial deals, United have money to burn.

I think it's £75m. IIRC the sponsorship deal is £750m over 10 years.

Pep to Mou, you're the real fraud!

Ed Woodward right now

V8CP9eH.gif

But, quick, deflection

The Gunners have not lifted the Premier League since ‘The Invincibles’ season of 2004 and never tasted success in Europe during Wenger’s 21-year reign.

g45HLel.png

Top Bottom