• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Jarnet87

And that turned out great for both players.

I don't know how much of Di Maria's heart was in it, PSG looked to be his preferred destination and we came in. He started well but then he had the issue with people breaking into his house and van Gaal's silly first season. Pogba has been inconsistent but he's shown a lot of quality and Mou should continue to build around him. I highly doubt Pogba will look to move after just 1 year.

PSG in for a logo change.

17202917_1271885426224434_4613070634152773062_n.jpg

It is bullshit when managers, especially Mourinho, whine about fixtures and tired players. These are top athletes and get spoken about like they're tired kids in a playground. I genuinely think it feeds into a lack of work ethic and woe is me attitude in some players who think they cannot play a lot of games in a row.

Cheers for the replies though everyone, some of it might have been a bit kneejerky off of seeing English clubs implode in Europe again. Also, when I do get around to watching top German and Spanish football I do have to say some of the level of quality of football is still way ahead of what you'll see in the Premier League. Not just because of Messi and Ronaldo either.
Manchester City still have two goals on Monaco (those three away goals though, yeesh) and Leicester could surprise us, 2-1 to Sevilla at home really isn't too shabby.

Audioboxer

Manchester City still have two goals on Monaco (those three away goals though, yeesh) and Leicester could surprise us, 2-1 to Sevilla at home really isn't too shabby.

English club speciality is usually crumbling under pressure, though. However, yeah, the judas players at Leicester will probably go on and win the CL now lol.

Elchele

Of course its no guarantee of it being a success, but I wouldn't be confident that no CL football for a team like United is that much of a hindrance in the short term.

they had to pay them much more money to replace the CL part. And surely after a season or two without CL they will start asking to leave

la_briola

Why is he posting this now? Shouldn't that be done after he wins the CL with Bayern?

What I really mean: after the season is over

panty

As a long-time Barca fan, I must admit that the ref definetely handed Barca the win yesterday.
No no this is nonsense, didnt you read the posts in this thread.

We talked about this at work with people who follow football, support Barcelona and people who dont follow actively. We all agreed that football needs a video confirmation, penalties, handballs, goals, unclear offsides leading to goals etc.

It's baffling that a single fucking twat has the right to deny a balanced game from the other team. Unbelivable game, a clear penalty denied, a clear dive given.

Fuck off.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
If that is true about Ox, he can fuck off the teenage mutant looking fuck.

Never rated the guy, he's been a "prospect" for about ten years, let him go to Liverpool or somewhere else

Alexis can go too, the huffy prick

Never rated the guy, he's been a "prospect" for about ten years, let him go to Liverpool or somewhere else

Those two and Cech are the only players I would even remotely consider taking from your club.

Also, I find some Arsenal fans approach to Alexis weird, the dude wants to win stuff, to be at the top and the rest of your squad clearly doesn't... happy to coast along in mediocrity, why is Alexis the bad guy? All top players have egos and can be tough to handle, its just part of what makes them tick

I think Sanchez might come to City. He has been a bit odd off-field ever since the rumours of Arteta approaching him about the move.

TimmmV

they had to pay them much more money to replace the CL part. And surely after a season or two without CL they will start asking to leave

Of course, its not something they can do for the long term. But unfortunately just throwing money at players will usually get them to come, and United have plenty of that.

It would take a really sustained period outside the CL for them to not be able to get players in on big money with promises of pushing for the CL imo

Ox seems pretty inconsistent to me still too, but would happily take him at Liverpool for the money thats being rumoured.

Also, I find some Arsenal fans approach to Alexis weird, the dude wants to win stuff, to be at the top and the rest of your squad clearly doesn't... happy to coast along in mediocrity, why is Alexis the bad guy? All top players have egos and can be tough to handle, its just part of what makes them tick

Sanchez is behaving like a total prick tbh, I'd be furious at him if I supported Arsenal. Could understand him wanting to leave, but he doesn't have to strop around and basically show the rest of the squad he thinks they are shit while doing so.

Lashley

Those two and Cech are the only players I would even remotely consider taking from your club.

He acts like a spoilt child on the pitch, I agree that he is what we need, in terms of talent and attitude, but laughing when we're losing or throwing strops on the field? It's pathetic.

Kos even had to tell him off the other day.

Arsenal fans need to realise that when Wenger leaves we will NOT be chasing trophies, we will do a Utd and be mediocre for a few years, maybe even a decade as we rebuild from the ground up.

Need a new owner too.

He acts like a spoilt child on the pitch, I agree that he is what we need, in terms of talent and attitude, but laughing when we're losing or throwing strops on the field? It's pathetic.

Kos even had to tell him off the other day.

Arsenal fans need to realise that when Wenger leaves we will NOT be chasing trophies, we will do a Utd and be mediocre for a few years, maybe even a decade as we rebuild from the ground up.

Need a new owner too.

Well Cech was also grinning iirc and then was laughing with Neuer on the pitch.

I dont see why you'd necessarily need to do a United, hire a manager who is the polar opposite of Wenger who will come in smell the weakness in some of them, ship them out and spend that money the board are allegedly always telling Wenger he can spend and you can compete.

I'd be interested in seeing Simeone, if only to see how some of the players react to such a change and he can probably convince some good players to join you. If there is a transition season then I still dont think it will need to be as bad as United's. The players never respected Moyes and he seemed overawed by the job... you wont get that if you hire an actually top manager.

Lashley

Well Cech was also grinning iirc and then was laughing with Neuer on the pitch.

I dont see why you'd necessarily need to do a United, hire a manager who is the polar opposite of Wenger who will come in smell the weakness in some of them, ship them out and spend that money the board are allegedly always telling Wenger he can spend and you can compete.

I'd be interested in seeing Simeone, if only to see how some of the players react to such a change and he can probably convince some good players to join you. If there is a transition season then I still dont think it will need to be as bad as United's. The players never respected Moyes and he seemed overawed by the job... you wont get that if you hire an actually top manager.

Cech can go too, he has been dire all season

And we might have money, but we can't attract the players, even with a new manager. We're an Elite B team.

We won't hire a top manager, I'd honestly bet on it. We'll get someone like Howe.

Jarnet87

Romero; Young, Jones, Smalling, Blind, Rojo; Pogba, Fellaini, Herrera; Mkhitaryan, Zlatan.

Quite a bizarre starting 11. Looks to be some sort of 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1

spidye

this is alonso's best season with us and it will be his last one too :(

Too bad pep never knew how to use him and thiago like ancelotti does

Pachimari

FC Copenhagen just scored to 1-0 against Ajax! Yes! Even though I'm with their arch rival I'll cheer on them for being a Danish team in Europe.

Onyar

As a Barça fan I know the Suarez penaly was pretty lame, I mean it's like what CR do all the time, I really don't like any of both. Maybe it's a cultural thing, mediterrean cultures tend to be more flexible with cheating while north european if much more strict in that matters.

Aside the ilegal penalty, the match will became in the wall of fame, mainly because it's a match that it's played more with feelings than with the head. The joy of the last goal could be shared not only with the culers, all the world that appreaciate football (and didn't hate Barça) instead.

Didn't watch the match but I followed it on my phone. Going to Russia has never been easy so the away goal is a bit of a consolation. Still... We're playing (mostly) 1st choice players and we're not playing well. United was a club that would've sent 2 1st teamers and youngsters and win comfortably. I don't know what it is but we still have a serious problem with creating concrete goal scoring opportunities and finishing.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
1-1 seems like a decent result there anyway right? Huge trip to make, pitch was in terrible condition, get the away goal and probably do them at Old Trafford anyway.

At least we can blame true pitch for a poor team performance, right? ...right?

Well tbh the field looked equal or worse to the ones I played on in the swedish 7th tier division:p So much bad ballhandling but it didnt look like Utd knew how to handle it. Just kicking it away and praying for some Zlatan magic but his shots destroyed some windows on parked cars outside instead. (man my english is a mess, what did I do all the years in school >.<)

Jarnet87

Terrible game so be happy you dont have to suffer through it like the rest of us.. I shouldve played Zelda instead :/

I spoiled the score for myself by seeing it on the youtube sidebar. Was going to watch but now I will just put in while doing something else.

not a bad result but saw the "highlights" which was like 1 minute only lol. We set up defensively and still let that type of goal in, Mou gonna get him another CB this summer.

Thorrgal

Damn I didn't know this thread existed.

I actually don't think is a good idea to get into it...but

I was there yesterday and all I can say I'm sorry none of you guys will ever be able to live a night like that live...we won't ever see a comeback like that on the CL, ever again :p

EmiPrime

Luis Suárez’s dive exposes Barcelona’s cheating, amid the celebrations

Suárez dived, just as he did earlier in the game when such antics cost him a booking. If you watch back through the dying stages, Barça’s players are throwing themselves to the floor with such desperation it is comical. The not-so- subtle message, as witnessed by millions including impressionable young footballers? When in doubt, when things get seriously tough, keep the conning of officials at the forefront of your mind. The ruse is even more effective when a team are at home, in such an intense atmosphere as the Camp Nou. Referees wouldn’t be human if they didn’t feel pressure to bow to the demands of the bawling masses.

Barcelona versus Real Madrid matches might offer epic theatre but the scandalous level of play-acting is curiously ignored in a manner that insults the intelligence of onlookers. This undermines the fixture.

The common response to such complaints is that some of us, particularly in Britain, need to wise up. British players, it is even stated, should become more streetwise when catching up with the “art” of simulation. It is a ludicrous argument; that cheating, because it has become rife, must be embraced as part of football.

Other sports would scoff. Would the player who signed for a 63 at Augusta National but was later found to have kicked his ball from behind a tree at the 15th be shamed or lauded? Would the wicketkeeper who flicked bails off for no reason be laughed at or hailed? What about the snooker player who subtly shifts a troublesome black with his hand at The Crucible? This all adds up to the same thing: deception.

Jarnet87

Phil Jones in the last two games since coming back gave up the penalty at the weekend and was the main culprit behind the goal tonight. United left Rostov with an away goal and no injuries so I can't complain too much. I Imagine Rostov will look to play the same dreadful football at Old Trafford.

Lashley

Damn I didn't know this thread existed.

I actually don't think is a good idea to get into it...but

I was there yesterday and all I can say I'm sorry none of you guys will ever be able to live a night like that live...we won't ever see a comeback like that on the CL, ever again :p

I wouldn't be so sure, Tottenham will make it to the champions league eventually

Top Bottom