• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Fdkn

Blaming 6-1 score on the referee is insane. I've seen 0-0 games that had bigger mistakes. PSG have noone but themselves to blame.

We can talk about both things

PSG was shit, the shittiest performance I've ever seen on a Champions League round. Emery should be fired, Trapp should be fired and half the team should be shamed for years.

Even with that, without the ref not giving the Mascherano penalty to Di Maria with 3-1 (that Mascherano admitted doing on radio interviews after the match) and without the blatant dive from Suarez for a wrong penalty in 89', this wouldn't happened

One of the biggest bottle jobs in footballing history.

Can't believe they knocked us out of the CL in the previous 2 seasons.

Emery gonna go for that surely?

One of the biggest bottle jobs in footballing history.

Can't believe they knocked us out of the CL in the previous 2 seasons.

Emery gonna go for that surely?

He should, 4-0 up and they decide to be content parking the bus. Owners should be disgusted by the outcome of today.

Emery should have implemented the game plan of the previous game, they definitely would have had a better chance with it compared to today.

PSG was shit, the shittiest performance I've ever seen on a Champions League round. Emery should be fired, Trapp should be fired and half the team should be shamed for years.

Even with that, without the ref not giving the Mascherano penalty to Di Maria with 3-1 (that Mascherano admitted doing on radio interviews after the match) and without the blatant dive from Suarez for a wrong penalty in 89', this wouldn't happened

If PSG didn't loose we would be talking how lucky they were. At least Barca deserved this win. And refereeing while not perfect was not the main reason why PSG lost.

I love that Roberto got the game winner, I thought he had the winner vs Madrid last time with that weird header that was cleared after the 90.

PSG really gave it up, sure the ref gave a bad pen but the other 5 were by the book so no point in complaining.

Berto

I'm still amazed that people thought Dortmund was out after a 0:1 defeat in Lisbon, where they also were the better team.
True, however Benfica scores in every game, they just had to play like they always do, hold the opposition and score the usual goal.

ty_hot

Suarez is such a dirty, cynical player. But I'd have him in any team. Neymar played the match of his life (Iniesta was poor and got subbed, Messi was effective but fairly quiet apart from his pen). And Sergi Roberto ends up scoring the winner. After getting humiliated in the first leg at right-back he redeems himself in the most glorious way.

Iniesta wasnt really good.... but that 'assist' for Neymar's penalty. That guy is a genious passing and controlling the ball.

Pennywise

True, however Benfica scores in every game, they just had to play like they always do, hold the opposition and score the usual goal.

Looks like they don't. They had their chance after the first 20 minutes when we started to invest less in the game and Benfica created some chances.

Dortmund is also a force at home.
Only lost 2 games at home under Tuchel.
One game in the EL where we've been through already and that shitty DFL Supercup, which is nothing better than a preseason game at this point.

The Spanish dominance continues. I suppose we should rename it Spanish champion league

United are gonna make a run soon! you watch when then have to win the Europa cup to even get a spot in the CL they are gonna dominate.

If they want Greizmann they need to secure a CL spot, I can not see him leaving Madrid to go to a team not even in the CL

Blablurn

C6cPMu3UwAAMeb1.jpg:large

Not a bad choreo

Audioboxer

The Spanish dominance continues. I suppose we should rename it Spanish champion league

The gulf in quality between the top European clubs and top English is insane.

England has the money, and to be honest our middle and lower league clubs are on average better than what the middle and lower league teams in Europe are like. That arguably makes the Prem League more fun to follow, but English clubs in Europe in recent years always ends up an embarrassing affair.

Money being thrown around like candy still cannot get Arsenal, Tottenham, United, Liverpool and even Chelsea seriously competing against the top Spanish or German teams. Arsenal 10-2 and Tottenham getting put out by Gent. Just, what the fuck? Shameful.

The EPL 'rest players' trope is complete and utter bullshit as well. How many times do our managers need to get punished for stupid tactical decisions...

luchadork

England has the money, and to be honest our middle and lower league clubs are on average better than what the middle and lower league teams in Europe are like. That arguably makes the Prem League more fun to follow, but English clubs in Europe in recent years always ends up an embarrassing affair.

Money being thrown around like candy still cannot get Arsenal, Tottenham, United, Liverpool and even Chelsea seriously competing against the top Spanish or German teams. Arsenal 10-2 and Tottenham getting put out by Gent. Just, what the fuck? Shameful.

The EPL 'rest players' trope is complete and utter bullshit as well. How many times do our managers need to get punished for stupid tactical decisions...

meh, england are underperforming right now but they dominated the champions league for good while there. so much so they started putting restrictions on foreign players and spending in europe which has largely been ignored now they're going through a shit period. its no coincidence that the domestic league has become more challenging at the same time english teams arent doing as well in europe. you cant say the 'rest players' thing is bullshit when (its likely that) the last two winners of the league didnt compete in europe. its clearly an advantage to be able to rest players.

cyber_ninja

"There are two things that never end: the universe and penalties for Barca."
On the serious note though, congrats too them, they fully deserved it and Psg shat their pants big time.

Iniesta wasnt really good.... but that 'assist' for Neymar's penalty. That guy is a genious passing and controlling the ball.

Honestly it says something that by his standards he was clearly off but he still set up two goals with sheer class that would be the highlight of many a players' season (the improvised backheel for the 2nd goal and the deadly through ball for Neymar's pen). I'm not old, but I doubt I'll ever see a midfield partnership better on the ball than him and Xavi. The talent, discipline, concentration, intelligence, balance, nervelessness and raw year-in-year-out professionalism possessed by both of them is hard to believe. I hope I do, but I can't imagine what it would look like.

Zasa

Catch some Sevilla games when they play home at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan... It's absolute bonkers.
I love watching Sevilla play. They're playing some of the most attractive & progressive attacking football out there right now thanks to Sampaoli. His sides are alway exhilarating.

But yeah for sure, another contender for the best atmosphere. The stadium is always full & it helps that Sampaoli adds some gusto after every goal ;)

Jack cw

Oh the things I would do to attend a Dortmund match live. The atmosphere there is unmatched in world football tbh.
I was there 2011 when Robben failed the penalty and Dortmund won Bundesliga. By far the best stadium and atmosphere I have seen.

GHG

Gold Member
I watched a couple of the interviews on Arsenal TV yesterday.

Is it true that Arsenal squad is more expensive than Bayern's?

Wouldn't surprise me. Bayern have made some smart buys/aquisitions over the years. For example Vidal cost less than Xhaka and Douglas Costa was circa £20m if I remember correctly.

This current arsenal team largely consists of a bunch of overpaid, overhyped primadonnas. It's a disgrace. Wenger can't even use the money excuse anymore. He hasn't had a cohesive team in well over a decade now and its all his fault. These are all his players.

Boogs31

Everyone seems to be saying the Suarez penalty was a dive but I see it differently. The defender clearly is behind Suarez and intentionally moves from right to left and their legs tangle. A lot of people call that incidental contact but when you have two people running at full speed and the guy trailing moves across the attackers body it's going to cause a trip. Now I agree Suarez exaggerated the contract by his throat but I don't believe that contact was why the penalty was given.

Business

I agree the PL is a better competition than LaLiga because of how the money is cut more even among clubs but I'm not sure PL middle teams are better. I think Celta, Villareal or Athletic Bilbao would still dominate say Everton, WBA or Stoke.

T-Rex.

Banned
Looks like Chamberlain wants to leave Arsenal this summer. They're pretty much fucked in the short term, if it's true that both Ozil and Sanchez want out as well.

Germany has a big fluctuation of teams getting into CL and EL every year and they are healthy ahead of England while operating with way less money.

Premier League suffers from some galápagos syndrome where all the domestic money created a bubble where the clubs don't need to compete against other international teams to stay ahead of the money flow.

Looks like Chamberlain wants to leave Arsenal this summer. They're pretty much fucked in the short term, if it's true that both Ozil and Sanchez want out as well.
Ox's agent is just fishing for a new contract after a MOTM performance.

As for Ozil and Sanchez, Ozil wouldn't be a big loss and the club has more than enough money to replace Sanchez.

T-Rex.

Banned
Ox's agent is just fishing for a new contract after a MOTM performance.

As for Ozil and Sanchez, Ozil wouldn't be a big loss and the club has more than enough money to replace Sanchez.
I don't think it'll be that easy to replace either of them. Coquelin isn't good enough, Xhaka hasn't looked great, Cazorla's old, you need another CB, and that's probably a bare minimum as it is. Having to then sign replacements for Ozil and Sanchez on top of that would be tough. And there's no guarantee you'll make CL so unless you spend massive amounts on wages (and the gripe seems to be that you don't and so can't compete) then I don't really see that happening.

Jarnet87

United are gonna make a run soon! you watch when then have to win the Europa cup to even get a spot in the CL they are gonna dominate.

If they want Greizmann they need to secure a CL spot, I can not see him leaving Madrid to go to a team not even in the CL

Atletico are just one point ahead of 5th place, He may not have Champions League to play if he stays next year.

I agree the PL is a better competition than LaLiga because of how the money is cut more even among clubs but I'm not sure PL middle teams are better. I think Celta, Villareal or Athletic Bilbao would still dominate say Everton, WBA or Stoke.

The lower teams in La Liga often play better football than most in the Prem. The fear of going down in the Premier League creates tepid technically inept dross. Watch how those teams play when they go down to the championship, they come alive and start to play decent entertaining football, still might be lower in quality but is far better than what they play in the Prem and is actually good to watch. Spanish teams have ideas on how football should be played and try play that way every game and rather than parking the bus will try change player positioning or formation to take advantage.

Same in Italy, Seria A is also miles better. I watched the Atlanta vs Fiorentina this weekend and even though it ended 0-0 the ability on display was far higher than most in the Prem and far more entertaining, both teams had the typical lack of quality end product that you find in the top teams which lower teams in any league rarely posses but their comfort on the ball, how they play out, how aware all players are of their position and the technical ability expected to play in the way they do was far superior to pretty much everyone in the Prem except maybe two or three teams and I can't think of a single team in the Prem who has the defensive technical prowess of an Italian team, Chelsea is going that way but that is still very raw.

I don't think it'll be that easy to replace either of them. Coquelin isn't good enough, Xhaka hasn't looked great, Cazorla's old, you need another CB, and that's probably a bare minimum as it is. Having to then sign replacements for Ozil and Sanchez on top of that would be tough. And there's no guarantee you'll make CL so unless you spend massive amounts on wages (and the gripe seems to be that you don't and so can't compete) then I don't really see that happening.
Admittedly I remain unconvinced about Xhaka, and I agree about a replacement for Cazorla, one should have been bought a season or two ago.

On Ozil though, you don't need a replacement, you need someone different. Whoever is in charge next season needs to go with a 3 man midfield, which Ozil wouldn't be a part of anyway.

Arsenal need a new left back, an actual defensive midfielder, a winger and a striker. I wouldn't say a centre back is an absolute priority, at least not over other positions, but with Koscielny's age its definitely a position that needs to be strengthened sooner rather than later.

TimmmV

Atletico are just one point ahead of 5th place, He may not have Champions League to play if he stays next year.

United also signed both Di Maria and Pogba without CL football too. They're rich/big enough to attract players without always needing the CL on offer

Shit, I forgot to check that out after last night, anything particularly good?

I only watched Troopz, and while hes (obviously) still pretty mad, he seemed more broken than usual tbh, not as funny as usual
bludfam

Audioboxer

meh, england are underperforming right now but they dominated the champions league for good while there. so much so they started putting restrictions on foreign players and spending in europe which has largely been ignored now they're going through a shit period. its no coincidence that the domestic league has become more challenging at the same time english teams arent doing as well in europe. you cant say the 'rest players' thing is bullshit when (its likely that) the last two winners of the league didnt compete in europe. its clearly an advantage to be able to rest players.

It is bullshit when managers, especially Mourinho, whine about fixtures and tired players. These are top athletes and get spoken about like they're tired kids in a playground. I genuinely think it feeds into a lack of work ethic and woe is me attitude in some players who think they cannot play a lot of games in a row.

Cheers for the replies though everyone, some of it might have been a bit kneejerky off of seeing English clubs implode in Europe again. Also, when I do get around to watching top German and Spanish football I do have to say some of the level of quality of football is still way ahead of what you'll see in the Premier League. Not just because of Messi and Ronaldo either.

Top Bottom