• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Nobody remembers Liverpool's come back vs Milan as the "Gerrard dived for a penalty" scandal.

And as much as that writer would love:

Nobody will remember Barcelona's come back vs PSG as the "Suarez dived for a penalty" scandal.

It will just be in the record books that Barca lost 4-0 in the first game and did the impossible and qualified for the next round, something which will probably not happen again for decades and decades.

The writer of that article just sounds like he's bitter, like most the Madrid fans do, that he couldn't enjoy that historic moment.

Tubie

The writer of that article just sounds like he's bitter, like most the Madrid fans do, that he couldn't enjoy that historic moment.

That's really funny considering this was your first post after one of Barca's most incredible/historic wins ever:

I wish we had more Madrid glory hunters in this forum :(

Need to read more of their posts.

What a game.

Why do you care so much about Madrid and its fans?

Just be happy and enjoy your team's historic moment man lol.

You are in a great position to win it all too.

That's really funny considering this was your first post after one of Barca's most incredible/historic wins ever:

Why do you care so much about Madrid and its fans?

Just be happy and enjoy your team's historic moment man lol.

You are in a great position to win it all too.

Haha my bad if I came off that way, I just lurk through the thread and reply to or comment on what I read/the main topic.

DBT85

Until the authorities do something to stamp it out, and refs give free kicks and pens without you having to look like you've been felled by a howitzer, nothing will change.

Business

robben-dive.gif

But I thought it was a mediterranean cultures thing?

EmiPrime

Nobody remembers Liverpool's come back vs Milan as the "Gerrard dived for a penalty" scandal.

Nobody will remember Barcelona's come back vs PSG as the "Suarez dived for a penalty" scandal.

It will just be in the record books that Barca lost 4-0 in the first game and did the impossible and qualified for the next round, something which will probably not happen again for decades and decades.

Well that's a really stupid post given he doesn't just single out Barcelona for cheating but Real Madrid too.

You can bring up less than savoury examples from other teams all you want, objectively speaking it's not remotely comparable to the culture of diving for penalties and simulation to get other players sent off at Barcelona and RM. The reputation is well earned.

The balls on Suárez to dive again after failing to win a penalty and being on a yellow.

It's a bad joke. No "historic moment" if Suarez gets a red card instead of a penalty.

ty_hot

A few weeks ago Barça had to win the Copa del Rey, because they were virtually out of CL and La Liga. Now they are all in for the triplete. 1st in La Liga (one match played more, though), miraculously qualified in the CL and are in the final in the Rey.

Neymar improved a lot after the 4x0 (btw, he was the only one that played well that day). When he plays his best, it is much easier for Suarez and Messi to play as well. Messi and specially Suarez can play very well but dont always make their teammates play better (I am not saying any of them is the best/worst, just talking about their playstyle).

The last bit of your post really gives away that you just reacted because he insulted Barca because he calls out Real for the same thing.

I loved the game, one of the craziest I have seen but Barca did play dirty. You can justify doing so if you'd like but there's no denying it.

I also think its only the 'greatest comeback' on paper, Barca are probably the second best team in the world (we all know they're not better than Madrid, really, even if we prefer Barca), much better than PSG and were playing at home. Yeah, its crazy but I think only a truly great comeback can come in a single game, PSG won the first game 4-0, that's crazy too and if they'd have done that in the second leg and at home we'd all be amazed and running around. It'll be remembered in the record books because its impressive on paper but I still find it far more surprising that PSG beat Barca 4-0 than Barca beat PSG 6-1.

I just think there's been a bit of a football craze of speaking up moments like this so that we can all feel special and like we watched something super awesome and one of a kind that will be remembered forever. Its a hype culture. I 100% bought into it at the time and had my mouth open in awe but I think its all gone a bit far now.

The truly remarkable thing about this game was how late the last three goals were.

la_briola

I agree so hard. Let's not single out Barca, but talk about the bigger picture.
It is kind of ridiculous how many players flop all over the pitch and fake injuries, or try to get an advantage by any means necessary.
This is not what "winning mentally" should look like. It is just embarrassing for the players and the sport as a whole.
What they are teaching future and current players is that cheating is fine as long as you win.
They are all a fucking disgrace.

I don't know the solution to fix it, but a first step would be for FIFA, UEFA and the FAs to start enabling Referees to grow balls again (?) and punish cheating harder again.

I blame Bernd Hölzenbein.

edit: fuck Bayern and fuck Barca and while we are at it: fuck Real.

Until the authorities do something to stamp it out, and refs give free kicks and pens without you having to look like you've been felled by a howitzer, nothing will change.

We see every single week legitimate penalties not given because the player tried to keep on their feet or didn't simulate. When the only way refs seem to catch the contact is if a theatrical motion is made diving will continue to be rife. The only way it seems proper judgement could be made is if there was a video ref.

Big Blue

Yes, post its the dumbest idea you've heard, but yet not post why or what can be done to fix things.

I really have to to tell why editing goals post match is a stupid idea? The very score of a game completely changes the play style, tactics and effort (let's be honest) of both clubs.

Imagine if the Suarez penalty gets erased after the game because referees deemed that it wasn't a penalty. You would rob Barcelona an opportunity to win because at that time they wouldn't know they would actually have to score one more.

The balls on Suárez to dive again after failing to win a penalty and being on a yellow.
When you get coddled by refs for nearly an entire decade now, it's not surprised he pulls that bullshit. What team of unlikeable twats. I hope Atletico gets paired with them and they score 2 needed goals both in extra time at Camp Nou. Then they can turn the sprinkles to wipe away the tears.

But more importantly I'm not going back to find it, but that comment with who does Bayern like more Hamburg or Arsenal, is the GOAT. You sir deserve a medal. Also Arsenal.

giphy.gif

LeleSocho

Banned
Buffon even made a video this past week on how all these arguments against referee favoring juventus were castles in the air.

Good ol' cheating juventus cancer of this sport.

Syder

Which Premier League clubs conned the referee most 2012-2016?

1. Middlesbrough - 0
  2. Wigan - 0
    [*]Bournemouth - 1
  3. Reading - 2
    [*]Watford - 3
  4. Fulham - 4
  5. Newcastle - 4
  6. Norwich - 4
    [*]Arsenal - 6
  7. QPR - 6
    [*]Leicester - 6
  8. Aston Villa - 7
    [*]Hull - 7
    [*]West Ham - 8
    [*]Everton - 10
    [*]Swansea - 10
    [*]Crystal Palace - 11
    [*]Man City - 11
    [*]Stoke - 11
    [*]West Brom - 11
    [*]Liverpool - 12
    [*]Man United - 13
    [*]Southampton - 13
    [*]Tottenham - 14
    [*]Sunderland - 19
    [*]Chelsea - 21
While not all dives get spotted by referees - and therefore don't make it onto the list - the number of times a side has a player booked for diving still gives a pretty good idea of which team is the biggest culprit.

I really have to to tell why editing goals post match is a stupid idea? The very score of a game completely changes the play style, tactics and effort (let's be honest) of both clubs.

Imagine if the Suarez penalty gets erased after the game because referees deemed that it wasn't a penalty. You would rob Barcelona an opportunity to win because at that time they wouldn't know they would actually have to score one more.

Nah, its my fault, realized that mins after I posted, should have edited my post.

How far is FIFA and UEFA from implementing video refs? Have they actually discussed it or is it none existent to them lol

VLiberty

Calciopoli 2 when?
Juventus won at the last second thanks to a inexistent penalty.
Disgusting.

while I usually tend to think that it's more about ref being shit rather than an actual fraud like Calciopoli, I've gotta say this past few weeks have been quite suspicious. I haven't watched this game and I haven't seen the penalty yet but, in case, this would sum up with Juve-Inter and Juve-Napoli, all in the span of month

I'm quite worried for the two matches next month

Syder

Where has that been pulled from?

And its only showing bookings for diving?
Most papers ran with it back in December.

Only fair to have dives that were punished as others are open to interpretation but it still shows which teams do it more often. Not shocked.

DBT85

Most papers ran with it back in December.

Only fair to have dives that were punished as others are open to interpretation but it still shows which teams do it more often. Not shocked.

I suppose. G.Nev and Young used to do it every match. Vardy won tons of pens with his amazing leg paralysis routine etc. New rule, if you get 3 bookings in 1 season for diving, you get a 5 game ban. If you are caught feigning injury when you clearly haven't been touched, 5 game ban.

Just wish the sport could get away from "Someone touched me, I want a penalty" and "I deliberately left my leg there so it would hit him, give me a penalty."

They'll continue to do nothing though.

Syder

As someone already said, video replays would make it harder for the top teams filled with dive-prone players from doing so well. Diving has become an art form and Suárez is one of the best.

luchadork

Which Premier League clubs conned the referee most 2012-2016?

1. Middlesbrough - 0
  2. Wigan - 0
    [*]Bournemouth - 1
  3. Reading - 2
    [*]Watford - 3
  4. Fulham - 4
  5. Newcastle - 4
  6. Norwich - 4
    [*]Arsenal - 6
  7. QPR - 6
    [*]Leicester - 6
  8. Aston Villa - 7
    [*]Hull - 7
    [*]West Ham - 8
    [*]Everton - 10
    [*]Swansea - 10
    [*]Crystal Palace - 11
    [*]Man City - 11
    [*]Stoke - 11
    [*]West Brom - 11
    [*]Liverpool - 12
    [*]Man United - 13
    [*]Southampton - 13
    [*]Tottenham - 14
    [*]Sunderland - 19
    [*]Chelsea - 21
While not all dives get spotted by referees - and therefore don’t make it onto the list - the number of times a side has a player booked for diving still gives a pretty good idea of which team is the biggest culprit.

fake news. especially in the context of getting away with diving. all this shows is how much shit teams like arsenal and barca get away with.

Syder

fake news. especially in the context of getting away with diving. all this shows is how much shit teams like arsenal and barca get away with.
The stats are real. Getting punished for diving comes with a higher tendency for diving, no? As an example, diving has been in Chelsea's DNA since the days of Drogba. Again, all teams dive but some dive more and more convincingly because they're told to and they're usually the more successful teams. Maybe the stats don't back up the narrative you've bought into. Personally, I wouldn't consider Arsenal a team that cheats much. They're too scared.

luchadork

The stats are real. Getting punished for diving comes with a higher tendency for diving, no? As an example, diving has been in Chelsea's DNA since the days of Drogba. Again, all teams dive but some dive more and more convincingly because they're told to and they're usually the more successful teams. Maybe the stats don't back up the narrative you've bought into. Personally, I wouldn't consider Arsenal a team that cheats much. They're too scared.

youre out of your goddamn mind if you think arsenal dont dive. they just get away with it more because they have this perception of playing 'beautiful' football. their whole invincibles season hung on pires diving to get penalties. if you dont believe me just google it.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/footbal...pires-dived-to-save-invincibles-record/#page1

Syder

youre out of your goddamn mind if you think arsenal dont dive. they just get away with it more because they have this perception of playing 'beautiful' football. their whole invincibles season hung on pires diving to get penalties. if you dont believe me just google it.
When did I say Arsenal don't dive? My whole point was literally every team do it. Also, I think you have referee bias when it comes to offsides, giving pens to opposition, red cards, etc. mixed up with just diving which Arsenal have in their favour with every other top team. The Invincibles was 13 years ago, bro, not really relevant here.

EmiPrime

Yeah there is definite culture of diving at certain teams. You'll see more dives in one "el classico" than most premiership clubs will attempt all season.

The only truly egregious dive I can remember at Arsenal from the last few seasons was with Cazorla against West Brom and he got away with that one. We've had a couple of yellow cards for diving that were unduly harsh (Welbeck against Sunderland a few seasons ago) but it generally evens out and that chart gives a pretty good indicator of which teams are the worst offenders.

Top Bottom