• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Syder

Congrats, deserved winners!
Deserved champions
Can't really argue with this. Much like the last time Chelsea won the league the title run was built on the incredibly strong run from September to January. Conte saw a problem with the defence and went to the back 3 with defensive wingers/WBs and turned a team with superstars, like Hazard and Costa, and players deemed mediocre, like Alonso and Moses, and made them winners again.

Can't really argue with this. Much like the last time Chelsea won the league the title run was built on the incredibly strong run from September to January. Conte saw a problem with the defence and went to the back 3 with defensive wingers/WBs and turned a team with superstars, like Hazard and Costa, and players deemed mediocre, like Alonso and Moses, and made them winners again.

At the start of the season I would have been very happy with a top-4 spot. Players like Cahill, Luiz, Moses and Alonso didn't exactly fill me with confidence. But Conte has done a fantastic job. Squad will need some reinforcements though for next season. Can't play Hazard, Costa (if he's even staying) and Kanté every game when you are competing in Europe.

Syder

At the start of the season I would have been very happy with a top-4 spot. Players like Cahill, Luiz, Moses and Alonso didn't exactly fill me with confidence. But Conte has done a fantastic job. Squad will need some reinforcements though for next season. Can't play Hazard, Costa (if he's even staying) and Kanté every game when you are competing in Europe.
When you lot beat us 2-1 at the Bridge (2nd game of the season) I had Chelsea down for 5th or 6th, they really looked bang average, not title challenging material at all. This group of players really is a different beast in Conte's system.

Jarnet87

Gratz to Chelsea

Will one of Smalling and Jones make it out alive of White Hart Lane. Michael Carrick and Daley Blind at CB in the Europa final.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Grats Chelsea. Hopefully we follow your example tomorow :3

T-Rex.

Banned
Remember when the papers were talking about Conte only being a few games away from getting sacked after we beat them at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. What a turnaround.

So proud of Conte. He just turned it around. To win title in his first season in English football, with a team who underperformed woefully last season, and didn't get the reinforcements he wanted, is quite an achievement. As Pep said, he is the Best manager in the world.

Now need a good transfer window, as next year will be tough with CL football.

so looks like tuchel will get fired after this season for criticizing the management of dortmund for scheduling the game with monaco a day after the terrorist attack on the team... but they still want him to secure third place in the league and win the cup..

Fox Deportes was claiming he was the front runner to coach Barca next season.

Gratz to Chelsea

Will one of Smalling and Jones make it out alive of White Hart Lane. Michael Carrick and Daley Blind at CB in the Europa final.

Nobody makes it out alive against tottenham when they show their true colours.
Can't wait for Sunday, officials will bottle it again and man u will have nobody left to field for europa final.

Audioboxer

Congrats Chelsea and fans! Conte showing the two frauds how it is done.

Speaking of one of the frauds, Jose better field youngsters at the weekend. Both teams with nothing left to play for, but Tottenham probably filled with rage that they ran out of steam as usual. If Man Utd somehow go ahead I can see Eric Cantona kung-fu kicks flying.

MrS

Banned
Conte will be a great manager for Inter next season.
Dream on, sucker.

Conte is a hero and leads by example. He is better than Jose. He is a footballing god. All hail King Conte.

Congrats to Chelsea, RIP to my team BORO, bunch of cunts that you are.

Yes I have been drinking this evening

casiopao

What a turn around.^^ In the end, Premier League get their champions faster than Serie A lol.^^

And if Juventus and RM win the league, it will absolutely crazy how many former Juventus player become manager which had won the league now lol.^^ Zidane, Conte, and Carrera.^^ Now we only need to see Juve take the big ears to complete the experience.^^

Jack cw

According to BILD Veratti and Sanchez are close to a Bayern transfer.

Also, Italian press says Sanchez agreed with Bayern, transfer will be announced after FA Cup final.

L'Equipe writes that Veratti favours Bayern, his agent confirmed that Bayern made contact.

Both would cost more than 120m EUR.

Marca says United are close to a deal with Real regarding James.

This summer will be crazy.

Pachimari

It's gonna be fire watching Alexis in Bayern. And I'm okay with James in United, think he might fit well.

It seems like we've already accepted the medical reports from Flamengo for Vinicius, and that the transfer can be confirmed in a few hours. They'll extend his contract till 2022 and raise the clause to €45 million, and I have no idea why. They want to keep him till 2019, but we want him next year and thus Flamengo are willing to accept this price.

Zasa

Batshuayi's tweets > everyone else. Dude is genuinely hilarious.

Though I wish he played more this season back when Conte was eyeing the 424 he ran in the past. Absolute beast in the second half of last season & thrived in a two-striker system with someone to play off of. Oh, & congrats Chelsea! Well deserved.

Upinsmoke

Remember when the papers were talking about Conte only being a few games away from getting sacked after we beat them at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. What a turnaround.

Yeah. He changed formation after that and hasn't looked back since.

I don't like Chelsea but they've easily been the best team, league table never lies.

TeddyBoy

Congratulations Chelsea, your form since switching to three at the back is nearly perfect and your ability to bounce back after last season has been very impressive.

spidye

According to BILD Veratti and Sanchez are close to a Bayern transfer.

Also, Italian press says Sanchez agreed with Bayern, transfer will be announced after FA Cup final.

L'Equipe writes that Veratti favours Bayern, his agent confirmed that Bayern made contact.

Both would cost more than 120m EUR.

Marca says United are close to a deal with Real regarding James.

This summer will be crazy.
Veratti yay
Sanchez nay

Not that I don't rate sanchez but do we really need a 29 year old for 60m+, when we already have by far the oldest squad in the league?

Gambit

Veratti yay
Sanchez nay

Not that I don't rate sanchez but do we really need a 29 year old for 60m+, when we already have by far the oldest squad in the league?

If we get him instead of Costa then hell yeah!

He would also be the Lewy substitute.

Sanchez I would see as a possible transfer, although not my preferred one. Verrati, on the other hand, is so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh at the poor Bild journos who typed up that nonsense.

I mean I'd be happy to get him, but for that kind of money? with a contract to 2021? it's laughable

Jack cw

If we get him instead of Costa then hell yeah!

He would also be the Lewy substitute.

Sanchez I would see as a possible transfer, although not my preferred one. Verrati, on the other hand, is so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh at the poor Bild journos who typed up that nonsense.

I mean I'd be happy to get him, but for that kind of money? with a contract to 2021? it's laughable

Sanchez is pretty much done, Arsenal, Sanchez and Bayern are in talks (for weeks).
As ridiculous as the Verratti story sounds, the infos from BILD are legit, I know their source. That's why they even went putting the story as their main headline today.

The thing is, that Bayern representatives were in Paris this week at PSG.
This possible transfer is likely to become a Martinez pain in the ass story.
It will all depend on what PSG plans for next season, they don't need money.
They will change a lot, Lucas is on of those who will have to leave.

The background to this is that Kimmich will play as FB and Sanches didn't convince the board so far - Alonso retires, there is no CM with skill left, only Vidal and Thiago. Verratti is Carlos favourite, Bayern tries to get him. Plan B is Keita, but the board is not fully convinced to pay 50m for a guy who played one decent season. Plan C is Leon Goretzka from Schalke, but Bayern wants him next year because it wont cost them much. The Modric story is a hoax, James was in talks but Bayern decided against him, because of how the Götze story ended. Our board learned from the Neymar and de Bruyne story and are willing to pay 65-70m for a worldclass player.

Jarnet87

I don't want James, but that's largely because of the price tag. Some will be scared that it's Di Maria all over again but United look to be his preferred destination vs. Di Maria who clearly wanted PSG and we were just a stop gap. Could be a good player but that is money that should be spent on another CB, Striker or midfielder.

Empty

it's hard to imagine james thriving under mourinho, i guess sneijder and ozil had their best seasons under him but i feel like mou has changed as a manager since then.

Pachimari

Ha, I wish I supported Juve, I support Southampton.

Oh.. don't wish you were a supporter of another club. Your club is special too. :)

I'm so sad I missed today's PFL match. Ilocos United lost 2-1 to Meralco Manila in their away game, but I guess that's a nice result anyway since I hear that Meralco is one of the top teams.

1. Meralco Sparks (6) | W, W
2. Global (3) | W
3. Kaya (1) | D
4. Ceres (1) | D
5. Davao Aguilas (1) | D
6. Ilocos United (1) | D, L
7. JPV Marikina (0) | L
8. Stallion (0) | L

My word that was a shit show from City at the end. Don't get why Navas didn't go for a hail Mary, you have an open goal and everyone scrambling just smash it for fuck sake.

Top Bottom