• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Yen

I've just always had 2 problems with subtitles

1. I can't focus on the events and the dialogue at the same time when subtitled
2. When English dialogue is subtitled, I feel that it loses something as I read the line way before the actual film catches up to that point, which spoils the flow of any revealing piece of dialogue

Doesn't Twin Peaks fall apart well before it ends ala X-Files?

Why would you be watching a film in English with English subtitles? (Unless you're deaf)

rodvik

Apparently Villa will have to pay Sunderland £7m if Bent starts another game. Has this been discussed?

Surely off-putting for clubs who put appearance based clauses in their transfer contracts.

Don't laugh, but, the first season of Desperate Housewives.

Its been publicly denied several times by Lambert & Faulkner. Old rumour I think.

Why would you be watching a film in English with English subtitles? (Unless you're deaf)
I like to do that as a non-native speaker so that I don't have to focus on the dialogue too much. Grinds my gears though when the subs and spoken text aren't exactly the same (damn fan subs)

Yen

Love the whole 'Suarez out wide' angle from the media and others, think people will be in for a shock if that's what they're expecting. If anything, the signing of Sturridge makes Suarez even more fluid. Our wing backs are our wide players, hence the amount of times we've been caught with our pants down during the first half of the season, as the team acclimatises to their new roles.

Nu page

LegoArmo

Love the whole 'Suarez out wide' angle from the media and others, think people will be in for a shock if that's what they're expecting. If anything, the signing of Sturridge makes Suarez even more fluid. Our wing backs are our wide players, hence the amount of times we've been caught with our pants down during the first half of the season, as the team acclimatises to their new roles.

Yep, would take an idiot to move your new found clinical goal scorer out to the flank. Build the team around him.

Wes

venison crêpe
Apparently Villa will have to pay Sunderland £7m if Bent starts another game. Has this been discussed?

I'm sure we owe them something but I doubt it's as much as £7m.

Rumour is Fulham want to sign him. They're also after the centre back Forren who is supposed to be quite promising (Everton after him also). The extended rumour is Fulham may offer Hangeland (whose contract expires in the summer) and some cash for Bent.

I think we should play Suarez and Sturridge together at the weekend. Any kind of relationship they can form could be helpful against the Mancs, even if people would say its unnecessary to play Suarez

@Wes, I can't imagine Bent and Berbatov in the same team working out too well. How were they when they played together at Spurs?

Salazar

rkEfP.gif

Yen

I think we should play Suarez and Sturridge together at the weekend. Any kind of relationship they can form could be helpful against the Mancs, even if people would say its unnecessary to play Suarez

@Wes, I can't imagine Bent and Berbatov in the same team working out too well. How were they when they played together at Spurs?

Give Suarez a rest.

If Sturridge is going to play through the middle I might be tempted to switch to him in my FF team.

Can't wait to use my wildcard. Need to resist the temptation and hold off for a week.

My friend does it and tbh it puts me off watching films with him.

My brother does it with games, and rewinds programmes and films if he misses a single word.

@Viva, I put Sturridge in early, and regret it already since I now have 2 Liverpool forwards and Reina in goal. So basically any match we lose and fail to score in, my team is fucked

My brother does it with games, and rewinds programmes and films if he misses a single word.

With the amount of shitty audio mixing in games I got to have subtitles on, also sometimes I just miss a thing or two not having English as my native language. Also I sometimes like in RPGs to read faster than they speak and skip dialogue when it's boring.

lol, apparently used WiiUs still have the downloaded games linked to them, so they can be played by the new owner without buying them. Absolute dropped bollock of a console

Arnie

Yeah that makes no sense.
To us.
Yep, would take an idiot to move your new found clinical goal scorer out to the flank. Build the team around him.
If you look at the positions he has scored goals in, that wouldn't change with a free role around the box; he'll be making runs wide of the box and through the centre and interchanging with the other two, except he'll have a larger role to play in building attacks.

We're essentially building our attack around him, with Sterling and Sturridge being outlets for his creativity. Take Sterling's goal last night, you'd be forgiven for thinking he was playing as our 'central striker', which makes a mockery of this whole story that's doing the rounds. Defenders won't have clear markers.

Randdalf

lol, apparently used WiiUs still have the downloaded games linked to them, so they can be played by the new owner without buying them. Absolute dropped bollock of a console

It's not fair to criticise it wholly on the basis of the shoddy account system, it's an incredibly neatly put together system overall.

The way they handle users and network stuff makes Sonys handling of that shit sound amazing.

I've never had a problem with the SEN stuff. I can see why it would be an issue if you use one account on about 4 different consoles, but its a piece of piss for me

@Randdalf, the account stuff is far from the only problem. Even dc decided against buying one, and he's a complete moron

Love you dc <3. Not that you'll read this comment anyway :p

Zabojnik

Mabye. Need to get rid of The Brawler first though!

I'm not sure if Jovetic and Jojo can coexist though. Somewhat similar strikers. Then again, so are Vucinic and Jovetic and they play together just fine for Montenegro.

Is 'Killing them Softly' any good Football-GAF?

Decent enough. A somewhat undestated mafia thriller. Some nice scenes with Brad Pitt. James Gandolfini was great too.

I'll need to invest in a good sound system when I'll be making the change from my 5-year old Bravia to a Panny plasma later this year. TV speakers are atrocious, I usually watch movies with english subtitles for this very reason. Can't hear shit.

To us.

If you look at the positions he has scored goals in, that wouldn't change with a free role around the box; he'll be making runs wide of the box and through the centre and interchanging with the other two, except he'll have a larger role to play in building attacks.

We're essentially building our attack around him, with Sterling and Sturridge being outlets for his creativity. Take Sterling's goal last night, you'd be forgiven for thinking he was playing as our 'central striker', which makes a mockery of this whole story that's doing the rounds. Defenders won't have clear markers.
As with many teams these days, going forwards players will be fluid.

But defensively if he is starting out wide then he may find himself having to work backwards more than he has been asked to so far - or else leaving one side of the defence exposed.

So whilst his attacking role may stay the same he may have less opportunities to get shots away.

I don't think it's a bad idea, Sturridge is better through the centre and Suarez is better roaming - but I do think what would be better still is Suarez staying up top with a better wide player in the side.

Kyoufu

It's not fair to criticise it wholly on the basis of the shoddy account system, it's an incredibly neatly put together system overall.

The OS (while new) is crap. The GamePad touchscreen is crap. Needs some major work done firmware wise.

I say that as a Wii U owner.

edit: I will say though, Miiverse is excellent.

The OS (while new) is crap. The GamePad touchscreen is crap. Needs some major work done firmware wise.

I say that as a Wii U owner.

You actually ended up buying one? Can you explain why you bought it, or was it that new console allure which will probably see me spending a grand on the PS4 :p

Kyoufu

You actually ended up buying one? Can you explain why you bought it, or was it that new console allure which will probably see me spending a grand on the PS4 :p

I buy any system that has an online capable Monster Hunter. Love the franchise.

Also looking forward to Bayonetta 2, Retro Studios new game and Xenoblade 2 or whatever.

Top Bottom