• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Man Utd have an average team, and an exceptional manager, with a winning attitude

City have an exceptional team, with a shite manager and a shite attitude

GorillaJu

It may be ridiculous to say that anyone who isn't a United crony would call it an illegitimate goal, but it's also daft to suggest that only a hater would call it legit.

Either way, the right decision was made so it's probably time to just drop it.

Someone sub David Luiz. Apparently playing 3 feet forward compared to normal means you should shoot on sight!! Idiot. Play the ball and move it around.

Clegg

Anywhere that's not inherently team centric, so no RAWK or RedCafe, or Twitter, or even GAF.

We'll go off Guardian, MOTD, and BBC. Best of three.

I'm getting worked up with you, not anyone else, I'm enjoying discussing it.

I'll just ignore you in future.

Good goal by Evra, he's been ridiculous recently.
Now you're just acting childish.

You're a decent poster usually, so I find you behavior a bit puzzling tbh.

It may be ridiculous to say that anyone who isn't a United crony would call it an illegitimate goal, but it's also daft to suggest that only a hater would call it legit.

You're giving Jonny Evans two choices here:

Either play to the whistle as we've always encouraged, which results in him making an unfortunate play on the ball due to the offside position of the defender behind him.

or,

Pull a Fabian Barthez, standing there with your hand up like a twat as the ball trickles through to Cisse who tucks it in, and hoping the officials back you up by making the correct call.

Neither option is good for the defender.

Arsenal fan, btw.

Had a similar situation a few years ago with Koscielny getting a toe to a ball in an attempt to deflect it from reaching Saha, who was about five yards offside (though Koscielny couldn't have known that). He didn't get a solid touch to the pass and it trickled through to Saha, who then scored. It was a big deal at the time, and ended with Graham Poll coming out and explaining why it shoudl've stood. So I guess by the letter of the law, the ref in this game did the right thing.

I still think it's outrageous. His presence in an offside position undoubtedly affected the defender's decision to go for the ball.

Hmm, I'd like to have seen that goal. In the Bundesliga even the slightest movement of an offside player towards the goal or keeper activates the offside and goals (own or not) are not given - or at least that's I gather from remembering some situations.
And it does make sense if you look at the rules:

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s
head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the
ball and the second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this
definition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent
from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing
the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or
movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an
opponent

• “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
that rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar having been in an
offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent
having been in an offside position
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf (p. 100)

But yeah, I guess the ref decided that Cisse's influence was negligible.

////
This game is awesome, lol

Top Bottom