• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Yen

Did you hear that Clattenberg stat about him only reffing us twice in like 7 years? He was very good against Fulham I think, aside from booking Johnson for his first foul, an innocuous challenge for the ball on the sideline

His last game before that was versus Chelsea in 07 when he gave a penalty to Malouda.

Of course. Evans wouldn't have owngoaled if it wasn't for Cisse in an offside position. It's very clear, imho.

Had a similar situation a few years ago with Koscielny getting a toe to a ball in an attempt to deflect it from reaching Saha, who was about five yards offside (though Koscielny couldn't have known that). He didn't get a solid touch to the pass and it trickled through to Saha, who then scored. It was a big deal at the time, and ended with Graham Poll coming out and explaining why it shoudl've stood. So I guess by the letter of the law, the ref in this game did the right thing.

I still think it's outrageous. His presence in an offside position undoubtedly affected the defender's decision to go for the ball.

Arnie

Well, you're arguing with people, but frothing about your position being "unanimous".

Hence, "losing it".

It's not that we can't argue. In fact I'd say ours is better; we argue that Cisse is putting pressure on Evans and forcing him into that move. You're arguing Evans is so shit he would have done that anyway.

You're entitled to your opinion, however.

I'm arguing that Cisse's influence wasn't what caused Evans to stick the ball in his own net, and I refer to that argument being 'unanimous' Sal because everyone who isn't a United fan here agrees with it. The punditry team on this stream agrees with it. MOTD will agree with it. Somewhere, Gary Neville's agreeing. Even Johnny Evans knew it, unless you believe he held his head in his hands because Cisse poked him in the eye.

We'll see what the overwhelming opinion is of the incident, and by association who's correct.

ATF487

"Interfering" means different things to different refs...can't really see how you can argue vehemently in ether direction

Although I do like the goal standing for schadenfreude

Wilbur

Banned
I'm arguing that Cisse's influence wasn't what caused Evans to stick the ball in his own net, and I refer to that argument being 'unanimous' Sal because everyone who isn't a United fan here agrees with it. The punditry team on this stream agrees with it. MOTD will agree with it. Somewhere, Gary Neville's agreeing. Even Johnny Evans knew it, unless you believe he held his head in his hands because Cisse poked him in the eye.

We'll see what the overwhelming opinion is of the incident, and see who's correct.

There's a Dortmund fan five posts up or something that believes its offside, so you're wrong there for starters. And I'd like to believe Evans put his hands on his head or whatever because he's put the ball in the back of his own net. I'd have been surprised if he instantly turned around and claimed offside, and I'm sure he would have if Cisse had got the touch.

It stood though, fuck it. We got ourselves into this mess.

GorillaJu

We'll see what the overwhelming opinion is of the incident, and by association who's correct.

As I understand it, the letter of the law is that for the goal to be called offside the offside player has to have some kind of physical effect on the defender, or touch it the ball.

Otherwise it's no different than when an offside player dummies a ball through to an onside one, who scores. Cisse wasn't tugging or pulling Evans there, they were both going for the ball and Evans fluffed it when he got a touch.

I certainly see the other side of the argument but I think the referees got it right and I give them props for having the balls to make the right call at OT.

Bo-Locks

Personally, I've always set the bar fairly low in terms in what constitutes interference with the play, so to me, that goal was very fortuitous for Newcastle. How high or low you set that bar is the key thing here.

Worlds best LB scores.

Arnie

GAF, Grauniad, RAWK, RedCafe, twitter, Banned Paper ?
Anywhere that's not inherently team centric, so no RAWK or RedCafe, or Twitter, or even GAF.

We'll go off Guardian, MOTD, and BBC. Best of three.
Arnie.

Calm down, son.

You're getting more worked up about this than anyone else.

I'm getting worked up with you, not anyone else, I'm enjoying discussing it.

I'll just ignore you in future.

Good goal by Evra, he's been ridiculous recently.

Top Bottom