• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Is that a joke? Sure, you're stable. But at what level? A title-winning level? Fuck no. Arsenal are stable. Everton are (or were) stable. Norwich are stable. Stable is meaningless when you're going for trophies rather than relegation-avoidance.

No it's not a joke. Yes we are stable at winning stuff.

6 trips to Wembley, 2 trophies in 3 seasons.

Look at our squad, with a good summer we could destroy the PL next year.

Considering the time they have given Mancini I'm not so sure about that, he has had more than enough time to prove himself and there's no way of getting around that he's not good enough for the team City wants to be.
I don't agree.

He came in half way through a season - lets write that off.

In his first full season he won them their first cup and got them CL football. The team played decent football at times.

Next year he won them the title. They played some great football. The CL was poor but forgivable because the group was tough and they did get 7/8 points.

Next year he was bad. Poor in the league. Awful in the CL.

So this is the first chance they've had to sack him when it could be justified. Unless you think he should have been sacked last season or half way through this season?

So if one bad season means he gets sacked, fair enough. As I said, Pellegrini better have a good season.

I'll sort one here, 1on1 indoor football vs Lightning and Tegris.

_58728912_arsene_wenger.jpg

dc89

I actually think we got 10 points Viva. It would have meant we qualified from every other group but ours and maybe United's?

iirc - my memory may be off.

jtb

Banned
Napoli were first time CL competitors too, but they didn't give endless excuses. Dortmund were shit last season in the CL, and weren't shit this season. And City didn't just ifnish beneath them, but City didn't even finish above Ajax. Good team, yes, but when they're on a small fraction of the City budget... come on.

Oh and let's not forget that the only reason a group of death is even a possibility is because Mancini didn't take the Europa League seriously last season. And City will get another shitty group next season because they couldn't even get 3rd in the group to boost their coefficient even a little bit.

Mancini is shit, pure shit, in Europe. There is no way to deny this.

Wes

venison crêpe
Next season could be the closest at the top yet (which gets said every season but):

1. United - New manager so not unfathomable that they drop slightly in performance.
2. City - New manager so could improve or beome worse but will spend big.
3. Chelsea - Jose will be backm likely to improve. Already have very talented attack.
4. Spurs - If Bale stays and they get a BasedLevy striker they could get better.
4. Arsenal - If and only if Wenger spends the kinds of money he is widely reported to have at his desposal.
6. Liverpool - Second year under Rodgers. Up and down results like to reduce over time. Coutinho is player of the season next year.

I actually think we got 10 points Viva. It would have meant we qualified from every other group but ours and maybe United's?

iirc - my memory may be off.
Ah you might be right about that. Either way, if wasn't a horrible effort at all.

Still not worthy of the money but it was a decent attempt.

In a group of death. The two that went through from out group were in the semi final.

We need to improve in Europe for sure. But lets give Mancini one last crack of the whip.

Lets not forget the year before too where you didn't get through... or that Mancini have never been able to deliver in Europe, not even now with his near unlimited funds.

I don't agree.

He came in half way through a season - lets write that off.

In his first full season he won them their first cup and got them CL football. The team played decent football at times.

Next year he won them the title. They played some great football. The CL was poor but forgivable because the group was tough and they did get 7/8 points.

Next year he was bad. Poor in the league. Awful in the CL.

So this is the first chance they've had to sack him when it could be justified. Unless you think he should have been sacked last season or half way through this season?

So if one bad season means he gets sacked, fair enough. As I said, Pellegrini better have a good season.

Huh? I've always said it was nice to see City give Mancini time, but at this point I think it's perfectly fine to fire him.

MPW

Next season could be the closest at the top yet (which gets said every season but):

1. United - New manager so not unfathomable that they drop slightly in performance.
3. Chelsea - Jose will be backm likely to improve. Already have very talented attack.
4. Spurs - If Bale stays and they get a BasedLevy striker they could get better.
4. Arsenal - If and only if Wenger spends the kinds of money he is widely reported to have at his desposal.
6. Liverpool - Second year under Rodgers. Up and down results like to reduce over time. Coutinho is player of the season next year.

If Bale stays, it will be him again

Fry

dc, you have already won your domestic title. I bet all you City fans want to see some success in Europe. At least, getting through the group phase would be an achievement.

You're not getting it with Mancini.

Messi

No it's not a joke. Yes we are stable at winning stuff.

6 trips to Wembley, 2 trophies in 3 seasons.

Look at our squad, with a good summer we could destroy the PL next year.

Your squad should destroy the Pl right now. You are deluding yourself

dc89

Ah you might be right about that. Either way, if wasn't a horrible effort at all.

Still not worthy of the money but it was a decent attempt.

Yeah. Much better than this seasons showing. It was like the defeat to Madrid from a winning position just killed us.

jtb

Banned
Oh, not the "10 points would've qualified in any other group" myth.

6 points came against a side that was relegated (!!!) from La Liga, and I don't think picked up a single point in the group stage. so everyone in the group picked up 6 points against them because they were terrible.

3 came against a Bayern side that had already qualified and played a weakened team.

City did very poor in that group too.

5. Arsenal - If and only if Wenger spends the kinds of money he is widely reported to have at his desposal.
7-13. Somewhere in the middle, below Everton are Liverpool - Second year under Rodgers. Coutinho falls back to his real level, Sturridge gets pissy, Suarez leaves for Russia, Agger finally becomes a full on cripple as his back can't handle the stress anymore.

Fixed.

qindarka

Banned
I do think City will win the league next season. Big spending this summer should sort out the holes in their squad. United might suffer a slight downturn though I still expect them to finish 2nd. Clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can't be trusted to sustain any sort of title challenge so it will likely be another 2 horse race.

I do think City will win the league next season. Big spending this summer should sort out the holes in their squad. United might suffer a slight downturn though I still expect them to finish 2nd. Clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can't be trusted to sustain any sort of title challenge so it will likely be another 2 horse race.
Parody account.

I'm sure of it.

ILvane

this thread needs Facism.

fener vs galata, possibly the biggest rivalry here. galata are already champions, fener fans are angry because galata secured the league and they get couldn't go to finals in uefa. lots of tension building up for quite some time.
controversial match from the whistle, a penalty for galata and two controversial goals. we are in 90+5, fener is leading 2-1, their goalie gets a red card, 3 subs out. their midfielder puts on the gloves.

FootballFan

EPL 2 team league confirmed

qindarka

Banned
It cannot be healthy to be so pessimistic.

It is healthy, actually. I already made myself accustomed to the idea of Europa next season so even if Chelsea had not made it, it wouldn't have been such a blow. And I don't lose anything now they've qualified just because I downplayed their chances earlier. I would feel like an idiot if I predicted success and they fucked up, like earlier this season when I said I wouldn't have taken a simple 1-0 before that bloody home game against QPR.

Linius

this thread needs Facism.

fener vs galata, possibly the biggest rivalry here. galata are already champions, fener fans are angry because galata secured the league and they get couldn't go to finals in uefa. lots of tension building up for quite some time.
controversial match from the whistle, a penalty for galata and two controversial goals. we are in extra time, fener is leading 2-1, their goalie gets a red card, 3 subs out. their midfielder puts on the gloves.

Of course, that's why nobody is talking about that game :p

dc89

You gotta stay on top of the news, think of your PR spin now.

Having a briefing with Soriano in the next hour :p

--

Balotelli's agent Raiola slamming Manchester City: "Who trusted in Mario has been awarded. Who didn't, has been punished"

Tancredi tweeted that. Unfollowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom