• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

I do think City will win the league next season. Big spending this summer should sort out the holes in their squad. United might suffer a slight downturn though I still expect them to finish 2nd. Clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can't be trusted to sustain any sort of title challenge so it will likely be another 2 horse race.

Surely it's too early for this?

Wilbur

Banned
City are such idiots. Mancini is one of the greatest managers around. There's no way he wouldn't have bounced back from this season had he remained in charge. What's Pellegrini won outside of South America? Nothing.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Linius

We had enough Di Canio gifs for a while.

MFo.gif

Arnie

Been at the library so haven't been following but Hitcher what the fuck are you on about?

We're in a great position with Suarez because he signed a contract last summer. If he's desperate to go we get mega money because we don't want to sell.

Suarez isn't the sort of player to refuse to play, nor is he the type to coast on large wages.

I think you just like getting caught up in the doom and gloom of it all.

jtb

Banned
Liverpool shouldn't even be listed with the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea. I expect at least one of the latter three to mount a title challenge (even if they probably fall short) if only because I expect all three to strengthen significantly (lol Arsenal I know) in the summer.

No it's not a joke. Yes we are stable at winning stuff.

6 trips to Wembley, 2 trophies in 3 seasons.

Look at our squad, with a good summer we could destroy the PL next year.

You are stable at getting yourselves into positions to win stuff, I'll give you that. Not the competetions you should be aiming for with your spending though.

And let's talk about your brilliant squad relative to your aims

Hart - Not all that contrary to media representation
New GK - ?

Kompany - Very good
Lescott - On his way out, inconsistent
Nastasic - Very good
Toure - Meh

Zabaleta - Very good
Richards - Overrated UFC fighter
Maicon - lol

Clichy - Nothing player, defensively inconsistent, attacking ghost
Kolarov - Defensively incompetent, Riise-lite

Barry - Slow, declining, has no impact on anything, glorified Poulsen
Rodwell - Could end up OK, doubt it though. Injury prone, not good enough to nail any position
Garcia - Haven't seen enough

Silva - Top class when he turns up, which is once every ten matches, and only against shit teams
Y. Toure - Capable of brilliance, lazy bastard, can't be bothered throughout a season

Milner - Rubbish. Contributes nothing except for ineffective sprinting towards your own goal
Nasri - The Invisible Man
Sinclair - Non-entity

Tevez - Very good, fuck knows when he'll piss off on holiday though
Dzeko - Blows hot and cold, generally shite when starting, capable of brilliance
Aguero - Should be world class, something wrong with him. Doesn't turn up often enough

Your squad is better than Mancini has you playing, but its nowhere near as good as you think it is. At their best, its the best team in the world. But how many of them play well consistently? 4 or 5? That's nowhere near good enough for a team built with so much money, on transfers and wages.

Then you combine that with your European performances and lack of playing style, and I have no qualms calling you a glorified QPR. You won the title, and your players considered that job done. Its not good enough, at all. You need a change at the top, and unless the new manager has exceptional motivation skills, you need to turf out one or two of the players who jog through matches every week with the knowledge that Mancini hasn't got the bollocks to drop them.

@Arnie, I'm just worried about the transfer window, and don't trust players since Torres left.

FootballFan

Perhaps. I really can't see City and United not challenging though. Equally confident that Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool will not be able to win the league.

Well yeah but it's been like that for a while and I am pretty confident next season will be the same. Man Utd vs Man City/Chelsea.

Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal are good teams but anyone who is being realistic wouldn't give them a real chance at actually winning the title unless some massive changes happen.

But you are being too negative towards Chelsea. With Mou and some new signings it will be you 3 competing for the title.

Well yeah but it's been like that for a while and I am pretty confident next season will be the same. Man Utd vs Man City/Chelsea.

Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal are good teams but anyone who is being realistic wouldn't give them a real chance at actually winning the title unless some massive changes happen.

But you are being too negative towards Chelsea. With Mou and some new signings it will be you 3 competing for the title.
If anybody isn't going to be competing its United.

Arnie

@Arnie, I'm just worried about the transfer window, and don't trust players since Torres left.

Not trusting players is fine, but you're acting like we can't command a fee for Suarez, which makes zero logical sense. We got £50 million for Torres, you'd be mad to think we wouldn't use that as a baseline for Suarez.

Liverpool shouldn't even be listed with the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea. I expect at least one of the latter three to mount a title challenge (even if they probably fall short) if only because I expect all three to strengthen significantly (lol Arsenal I know) in the summer.
I agree that Liverpool are behind those three, but you're fucking insane if you think this Arsenal squad can challenge for a title with one or two additions. You've got no spine: no top keeper, no top defenders, no top striker.

Chelsea will challenge next season, no question about that. Spurs can challenge if they get a top striker.

Arsenal need massive changes that aren't going to happen under Wenger's stubbornness.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Not trusting players is fine, but you're acting like we can't command a fee for Suarez, which makes zero logical sense. We got £50 million for Torres, you'd be mad to think we wouldn't use that as a baseline for Suarez.
lol £50m come on now Arnie. Maybe 2/5 of that.

Yeah, I guess

That second Adam booking was ridiculous. He must be the most stupid player in the league.

Meier

It is hard for dc to be objective about Mancini since he brought the club so much success and as a City fan in Manchester, he's had to deal with a lot of shit his entire life. It's natural there would be an added affinity for the guy who helped the team get over the hump.

The reality of it though is any top manager should be able to succeed at Man City. I would have been fine with him getting another season but I don't think he necessarily deserved it. The team played really ugly football all year and a new coach with different tactics could be a real advantage.

I honestly can't remember many games this season where I actually enjoyed watching us play. It was not pleasant and the scores often reflected that.

Arnie

lol £50m come on now Arnie. Maybe 2/5 of that.

Are you kidding?

Nobody's saying Suarez is a £50 million player. But he's a £50 million asset to LFC. You're living in dreamland if you think FSG are going to let a player who signed a contract last summer go for 2/5 of their own baseline.

Are you kidding?

Nobody's saying Suarez is a £50 million player. But he's a £50 million asset to LFC. You're living in dreamland if you think FSG are going to let a player who signed a contract last summer go for 2/5 of their own baseline.
He probably is a £50m player.

"In this market" and stuff.

Sage must have messed his joke up or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom