• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

saw this gif, had to share:

FtZYnbA.gif

I have a way better .gif of Diora Baird that I can't post here.

jtb

Banned
Which keeper do you think we should target and how would you feel if Julio Cesar joined Arsenal?

Mignolet would be nice, I think. Begovic wouldn't be bad either. Just a reliable shot-stopper with premier league experience is preferable, and I think both of them would come at a reasonable price (Begovic more than Mignolet).

Do not want Cesar at all. He's the very definition of a stop-gap solution, and a shitty one at that.

Lightning

Banned
Mignolet would be nice, I think. Begovic wouldn't be bad either. Just a reliable shot-stopper with premier league experience is preferable, and I think both of them would come at a reasonable price (Begovic more than Mignolet).

Do not want Cesar at all. He's the very definition of a stop-gap solution, and a shitty one at that.
I want Mignolet as well with Begovic as the back up option but I fear Cesar is who we will get because of the situation. Such a move would only mean that Wenger would want to persist with Szczesny as our no 1 and use Cesar as motivation to keep him performing.

Just a feeling I get judging by QPR's situation. I don't think Arsenal would be the best choice for Cesar as he won't be no 1 here and I don't think he is any better than Szczesny, just more experienced.

Scum

I want Mignolet as well with Begovic as the back up option but I fear Cesar is who we will get because of the situation. Such a move would only mean that Wenger would want to persist with Szczesny as our no 1 and use Cesar as motivation to keep him performing.

Just a feeling I get judging by QPR's situation. I don't think Arsenal would be the best choice for Cesar as he won't be no 1 here and I don't think he is any better than Szczesny, just more experienced.

What about pinching Vorm?

Zabojnik

Looks like we'll be signing Bonera next week. His Milan days are over, so he's coming on a free transfer. What an amazing start to the muppet season.

BOHICA!

Meier

Scouting is so weird in FM13.. I've got 16 scouts doing their thing and they pretty much never, ever actually find any players in 2021.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
secret: i've supported Cruz Azul since 1994. Team has let me down so many times that i just can't get excited about them winning the final.

America has Aquivaldo. Monterrey has a Foreign coach. We have the best Mexican keeper since Jorge Campos. Giménez with Pavone and Teó. Game over

I thought you said he sucked. Our shitty Argentine coach won't start him in qualifiers. Smh

he was really shaky early on this season, but he's been much better since about january. him + mexes have actually been pretty damn solid, surprisingly. gold tie even said that this will probably be our starting CB pair next season.

of course gold tie is also a notorious liar so we'll see what he does.

Meier

This guy is unreal. I had to spend $47.5 million on him (the most I've ever spent on a transfer in 3 editions of FM) but it was totally worth it.

iuva7ifqEEidS.png

GorillaJu

He was referring to football fans in general deserving better from the press. But no, let's ignore his points and twist his words to suit out agenda.

Maybe with that comment specifically, but the whole tone of the article was "we deserve better," at least how I read it. There's no reason to disparage Benitez, except out of resentment toward the press for calling you entitled, ungrateful and fickle fans.

The main problem I have is that he's giving himself credit for being honest about the facts, then bullshits about how Chelsea should have been better than United. Yes, United relied on their strikers to win games and City were disinterested, but they both still got a lot of points. United almost broke the record. Is it Benitez's responsibility to make other teams perform well against Utd and City? It's not like Utd play Chelsea for 20 games.

A supposedly hated manager, supposedly with an outdated system (despite that 4-2-3-1 is used by nearly every top team) still managed to keep the dressing room under control, and won you a European trophy.

So in the end, he wrote a whole lot of stuff, personally attacked a journalist, and came off as exactly the kind of fan everyone thinks of Chelsea supporters as: entitled, ungrateful and fickle.

MPW

casillas, pepe and albiol needs to be sold

mou will enjoy the love and support he will get at chelsea

if bale is coming, sell cr7

Meier

Fuck me, 15 game clean sheet streak, up 5-0 on Zenit in the Champions League and they just scored in the 69th minute. I've never gotten the achievement for 20 or 30 CS in a row. :(

xintin

There is a good article here about the media portrayal of the Benitez issue:

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/5/18/4340682/rafa-benitez-media-reaction
That's not a particularly good argument.

The article spends way too little time addressing it's point (media portrayal of Chelsea fans), and when he does finally get to it, he cites one excerpt from an article that he kinda seems to have taken personally.

He also mentions how disliking Benitez from the start was irrelevant, but it's not. It's the entire crux of the issue.

Not just that, but he takes some liberties with some of his other facts. Yes, Rafa does love the 4-2-3-1, but it was AVB who implemented it and RDM that stuck with it. With so many new players (Hazard, Oscar, Moses, Azpi, Bertrand, Ake) playing in the first team this season, you can make the argument that some form of continuity was good for the team.

He also mentions how, despite having a wealth of hugely gifted players, we've failed to produce a challenge in the PL under Benitez. That's naive; we do have hugely talented players, but notably not in the positions we need them in. Most Chelsea fans should know that. Benitez knew that as well when he was lobbying for a midfield buy in January and only got Ba.

I'm kinda tired of the whole deal, I posted a few days ago how I think Rafa has done the job set out for him in less than ideal circumstances. I also fall into the camp that, until Rafa's outburst at the Boro game, the atmosphere at the games was not helping the club.

But that's just me. I also don't think Chelsea fans (at least the ones I know here on GAF) are entitled, ungrateful, fickle or whatever other bullshit Liverpool supporters want to throw at us.

Sounds like it was a bad night for Real oh well pastures new for everyone I guess.

Another club that needs a bit of a shuffle gonna be one heck of a summer.

Lightning

Banned
That's not a particularly good argument.

The article spends way too little time addressing it's point (media portrayal of Chelsea fans), and when he does finally get to it, he cites one excerpt from an article that he kinda seems to have taken personally.

He also mentions how disliking Benitez from the start was irrelevant, but it's not. It's the entire crux of the issue.

Not just that, but he takes some liberties with some of his other facts. Yes, Rafa does love the 4-2-3-1, but it was AVB who implemented it and RDM that stuck with it. With so many new players (Hazard, Oscar, Moses, Azpi, Bertrand, Ake) playing in the first team this season, you can make the argument that some form of continuity was good for the team.

He also mentions how, despite having a wealth of hugely gifted players, we've failed to produce a challenge in the PL under Benitez. That's naive; we do have hugely talented players, but notably not in the positions we need them in. Most Chelsea fans should know that. Benitez knew that as well when he was lobbying for a midfield buy in January and only got Ba.

I'm kinda tired of the whole deal, I posted a few days ago how I think Rafa has done the job set out for him in less than ideal circumstances. I also fall into the camp that, until Rafa's outburst at the Boro game, the atmosphere at the games was not helping the club.

But that's just me. I also don't think Chelsea fans (at least the ones I know here on GAF) are entitled, ungrateful, fickle or whatever other bullshit Liverpool supporters want to throw at us.
I love this post and one if the reasons I love Chelsea GAF. Open minded and fair.

Rafa done the job he was asked to do and done a very good job at managing a tired squad who had congested fixtures and the hardest fixtures by far in it and Chelsea didn't have a very big squad.

If I was a Chelsea fan I would be happy with the outcome personally. He's not the man to lead Chelsea forward but he couldn't have done a better job with such a tired squad. Only the defeat to Swansea in the league cup over 2 legs do I think Rafa needs to be held accountable for because that was poor. Semi final loss to City in the FA cup can happen to anyone so really hard to hold that against him.

GorillaJu

I never leveled this accusation at you. The central point is that this guy is whining about the media portraying Chelsea fans as having those negative attributes, and then goes on to prove exactly why he is deserving of that description.

But nice dig, adding in "Liverpool supporters," as if supporting a particular club is grounds to condescend, when you mean me, personally.

Anyway I agree with your assessment on the article and on Benitez. Don't see why you needed to pull a jtb at the end.

jtb

Banned
I never leveled this accusation at you. The central point is that this guy is whining about the media portraying Chelsea fans as having those negative attributes, and then goes on to prove exactly why he is deserving of that description.

But nice dig, adding in "Liverpool supporters," as if supporting a particular club is grounds to condescend, when you mean me, personally.

Anyway I agree with your assessment on the article and on Benitez. Don't see why you needed to pull a jtb at the end.

lol is this referring to a particular post or am I just an ass in general?

Lightning

Banned
schadenfruede is all an arsenal fan can cling to these days :(
The Arsenal situation gets blown up too much. With the sponsorship deals in place I'm rather confident we will reinforce the squad if we qualify for the CL. We will reinforce regardless but moreso if we qualify. Since we don't have oil money to rely on like Chelsea and Man City do and don't have the popularity of a Man United it's the best we could hope for.

deGod

The Arsenal situation gets blown up too much. With the sponsorship deals in place I'm rather confident we will reinforce the squiad if we qualify for the CL. We will reinforce regardless but moreso if we qualify. Since we don't have oil money to rely on like Chelsea and Man City do and don't have the popularity of a Man United it's the best we could hope for.

We have David moyes so we can't expect big name signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom