• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

What goes through Sheikh Mansour's head to wake up one day and think "I own Manchester City but I want a club in the MLS...FUCK IT I'M BUYING ONE"

This guy is a nutcase.

Dibbz

Podolski meeting tapping up Lewandowski

BKzEUOxCQAEU20Z.jpg

I came from Android and have regular use of iPad and iPhone. I honestly like all the platforms. Each has their strong points. Although, as much as WP8 is my personal favorite, I've said before I would only recommend them to a certain type of person.
I see what you mean, I blame Kharma. He left a bad taste in my mouth.

dc89

I don't think this acquisition is owned by ADUG (Abu Dhabi Investment Group - who own City). It appears to be City and the Yankees. We are standing on our own two feet here :p

Don't suppose anyone saw the program on Sky Sports 1 last night about Frank Lampard w/Geoff Shreeves on his 203 goals?

Recorded it and watching it now. Such a fantastic achievement.

Meier

What goes through Sheikh Mansour's head to wake up one day and think "I own Manchester City but I want a club in the MLS...FUCK IT I'M BUYING ONE"

This guy is a nutcase.

Obviously he's involved in a decision like this, but this was definitely the brainchild of Ferran and the commercial guys. It's added exposure for Man City, it allows players to go on loan and play in front of 20k people a game rather than to play for the EDS in front of a 100 people and it further strengthens the brand as a whole. Ingenious really.

Wilbur

Banned
Obviously he's involved in a decision like this, but this was definitely the brainchild of Ferran and the commercial guys. It's added exposure for Man City, it allows players to go on loan and play in front of 20k people a game rather than to play for the EDS in front of a 100 people and it further strengthens the brand as a whole. Ingenious really.

Why can't they go on loan in England? Seems odd that Man City would spend so much on a feeder club.

And all this 'brand' talk LOOOL. People's club stuff can be eliminated forever now.

Meier

I don't think a second NY team is good for MLS. The Red Bulls are going to see a drop in attendance.

From everything I read in the lead up, most New Yorkers don't consider the Red Bulls to even be a New York team. This being actually within the city itself is going to be huge. They'll probably see a drop-off, but you'd hope their existing fans wouldn't just drop them. This team will just serve different fans.

In other good news for me from the MLS perspective, Orlando City's new owner said this:

Orlando City SC Owner/Investor Flavio Augusto da Silva stopped by the front offices in Winter Park, Fla., Monday afternoon, wrapping up an exciting few days of meetings that continued to move the franchise toward Major League Soccer (MLS). Press around Central Florida came to interview the Lions owner, with the Rio de Janeiro native giving valuable insight on where the club is in bringing MLS to Orlando.

“We had two options after the (Florida) state bill fell through,” said Da Silva in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel. “The first option was to wait another year, see if another bill goes through- but we would not be able to start playing in 2015. The second option, the one that I like and chose, was starting a plan B. That plan will help finance a new stadium.”

While the plan on how exactly the stadium will be financed is currently still in discussion, Da Silva was optimistic about once that part of the plan is completed- there will be only a few more steps remaining to bring a MLS franchise to Orlando.

“We feel confident that once we figure out the finances everything will into place,” Da Silva added.
http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1361

Still hopeful that Orlando is next. Orlando and Miami would be nice additions.

Slizz

I don't really have a feeling toward them. Didn't they have something with United at some stage?

NYC has a population of 19,000,000 as per the City statement.

And a small percentage care about football/soccer of that. There is too many teams in the northeast period. None down south.

EDIT: @Meier, I keep seeing Grant Wahl from SI talking up Beckham and Miami, trying not to get hopes up but there has been rumblings for some time

Tc91

Quit moaning. This is good for the MLS. :p

Yeah I agree with you, I'm not moaning and I'm not mad! It will give greater exposure for the MLS, it's just scary how much money he has :p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have a feeling toward them. Didn't they have something with United at some stage?

NYC has a population of 19,000,000 as per the City statement.

And so what? Due to the RB's location I envision people switching over to the new team closer to NY. Instead of actually expanding to markets they need to like the Southeast, MLS chose to dilute the market.

Wilbur

Banned
What's the ratio of north to south clubs in the MLS at the moment? For such a big country you think they'd want it spread out.

Meier

Why can't they go on loan in England? Seems odd that Man City would spend so much on a feeder club.

I think there's less incentive and certainly less of a guarantee to play as a loanee if you're on a team in the Championship. Unless a team expects to make a promotion run, they're more likely to keep playing their own players to get them experience they need. I think Man City will probably send a few promising guys to NYCFC with the intent they will play in every game or close to it.

Slizz

Beckhammmmmm save Miami! He's got the inside track for a franchise and South Beach is always wonderful.

EDIT: @Wilbury there is the NASL which is like division 2 MLS

England is the size of the state of Louisiana. Think of all the EPL teams pressed into this red blotch:

270px-Louisiana_in_United_States.svg.png

There is no reason for them to spread the franchises out over massive distances. It adds to the logistical complexity, and finding a fanbase for soccer in, say, Georgia is a hell of a lot harder than in New York.

Meier

EDIT: @Meier, I keep seeing Grant Wahl from SI talking up Beckham and Miami, trying not to get hopes up but there has been rumblings for some time

Yeah, I think it would be awesome if both teams were added. Would be great for the MLS to get solid SE representation and obviously we'd have the natural rivalry right from the get-go. Beckham with Miami certainly adds star power that those Miami teams love.

bjaelke

Stefan Coerts @StefanCoerts
Official: #Ajax have reached an agreement with head coach Frank de Boer over a new contract until June 2017.

So much for Frank replacing Tito this Summer.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's been a lot of rumors that Chivas USA are going to be sold since the parent club is about to change hands as well. I'd like to see that franchise relocated to Miami or Orlando City.

Slizz

Yeah, I think it would be awesome if both teams were added. Would be great for the MLS to get solid SE representation and obviously we'd have the natural rivalry right from the get-go. Beckham with Miami certainly adds star power that those Miami teams love.

The mere thought of Becks jus strolling around South Beach while owning a franchise makes me giddy.

Meier

14 in the top half of the country then. If NYCFC are number 20, who is 19? Orlando?

Look how much space top centre and bottom right has, that's absurd. Is there a league below MLS or do they have a college soccer system or anything?

There are some college teams but they're pretty rare for men due to something called Title IX which requires schools to provide the same number of men and women with athletics scholarships. Most big schools have a girl's soccer team but no official men's team. That is part of the reason the US is so good at Women's soccer on an international level -- we have a good training system in place.

There are a number of lower leagues that are pro or semi-pro. Orlando City is in the 3rd level although there isn't much of a difference between the 2nd and 3rd. It's a bit arbitrary. Hopefully OCSC will be the 21st team..

14 in the top half of the country then. If NYCFC are number 20, who is 19? Orlando?

Look how much space top centre and bottom right has, that's absurd. Is there a league below MLS or do they have a college soccer system or anything?
Population densities in the 'top centre' are crazy low, though. In Wyoming and Montana, there are like 6 or 7 people per square mile.

Slizz

Yeah, MLS is essentially Northeast teams, Progressive West Coast teams, and then all the teams(for the most part, Texas has some bad attendance) in the midwest are teams in pretty densely populated cities with no other major sport to care for, like Kansas City, Royals suck so Sporting KC has some of the best attendance figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom