• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Loool

Man City USA.

Does NYC really need a second team? Will it grow the sport that much? Totally neglecting the south and south east?

Yep Florida should have gotten the next team.

Yankees taint. I will hate this team forever.

Yeah, I was really rooting for Orlando.

Double hate from me.

Yankees and Man City.

Sheiks in my MLS? Fuck this company. NASL for life.

They got really creative with the name too.

Meier

Chivas USA's attendance numbers are absolutely awful -- not much better than Orlando City's despite OCSC playing in the "minor leagues." I really do hope they move that franchise to somewhere else whether it's to one of the two FL cities that are likely or to Atlanta or Charleston, etc.

This is a classy quote from Ferran (well, from whoever wrote the press release, haha)

“New York City FC will have a permanent home in the City in the great traditions of New York sports and world soccer -- a home that must be a sports, commercial and civic success,” Soriano said.

“But in considering any stadium site, we will listen first. This is what we have always done in Manchester and what we will do in New York. Only in this way, can the Club truly represent the City whose name it will carry.”
I think it'll end up in that Flushing Meadows location that has been bandied about.

Wilbur

Banned
What do you mean move a franchise? As in Chivas USA gets moved to another part of the country? Or gets rebranded? What the fuck happens to existing fans :S

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean move a franchise? As in Chivas USA gets moved to another part of the country? Or gets rebranded? What the fuck happens to existing fans :S

What fans lol?

Yes the team will be sold to a different owner and moved to a different city most likely. This happens in every pro sports league here in the US.

Chivas USA's attendance numbers are absolutely awful -- not much better than Orlando City's despite OCSC playing in the "minor leagues." I really do hope they move that franchise to somewhere else whether it's to one of the two FL cities that are likely or to Atlanta or Charleston, etc.

This is a classy quote from Ferran (well, from whoever wrote the press release, haha)

I think it'll end up in that Flushing Meadows location that has been bandied about.

It would be funny if their temporary stadium ends up being in Jersey.

Slizz

Thats a semi-popular thing in the USA. Lots of franchises have changed cities in all major sports.

Meier

Yeah, it's quite common in the US sports for franchises to just up and move to an entirely different city. The fans, sadly, get screwed. Usually if it's a team that was around for a long time (aka the Cleveland Browns in the NFL), the league will work with new investors to bring a team back some years later although it doesn't always happen. It's why the LA Lakers are named that -- they were originally in Minnesota (The Land of Ten Thousand Lakes). Minneapolis, Minnesota did get another team down the line in the Timberwolves. The LA Dodgers were originally based in Brooklyn as well. Another example is the Utah Jazz who were originally based in New Orleans.

The leagues own a portion of the team so they want them to be run efficiently and in a profitable manner. Sometimes they will take over control of a team and then try and sell them to new ownership if existing owners DGAF. Arsenal would have been taken over by the league years ago if they were in the US. ;)

Tc91

ibzDiZYlspMZVl.png

Slizz

Everybody hates it though. They just have to deal with it.

It's usually the owners fault always, simply by not putting a good product out and attendance figures backing that up. Then a city with no professional team(see Oklahoma City Thunder in NBA) are starving for a team, a couple of good draft picks and it seems OKC is here to stay.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think his son's have trained with every London academy and more at this point. The fact he's with QPR now means he probably isn't very good. :lol

My team is apparently having Cruyff's grandson on trial. Hopefully he is good enough to play in MLS. I don't know anything about him except he played for Wigan in one of their youth or reserve teams.

Meier

My team is apparently having Cruyff's grandson on trial. Hopefully he is good enough to play in MLS. I don't know anything about him except he played for Wigan in one of their youth or reserve teams.

Wayne Rooney's younger brother played for Orlando City last season after not panning out for the Red Bulls but he's back in England now I think. I hope the Cruyff boy pans out for you guys.. that'd be pretty awesome.

Went down to the chippy to get something for this Xbox reveal. Chips and curry sauce.

/Arnie

edit: It doesn't start until 6? Fuck I went too early

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Wayne Rooney's younger brother played for Orlando City last season after not panning out for the Red Bulls but he's back in England now I think. I hope the Cruyff boy pans out for you guys.. that'd be pretty awesome.

The only relative of a famous player that has worked out for MLS is Higuaín's older brother.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bologna have received no offers for star man Alessandro Diamanti, says President Albano Guaraldi.

The Italian international has been paired with a possible move to Juventus or Inter this summer, but the Rossoblu insist they have not been contacted for the 30-year-old.

“At the moment we have not had any bids for him, not even from Juventus,” Guaraldi told Radio International.

“We are doing nothing to try and sell him and he hasn’t asked us to leave either. He’s always acted as a true professional with us.

“I’d personally want him to remain here, but if an important offer was made to Bologna and the player then I think it would be counter productive to keep him.”

Can you smell the desperation?

Rock_Smelling.jpg

5M + Padoin.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WHAT

Podolski has responded to recent rumours linking him with switch to the Serie A giants (Juventus), saying that they make him feel "honoured"

Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski has stated that a transfer to Juventus would be "conceivable", although making it clear that he still has a contract with Arsene Wenger's side.

WHAT

Linius

Stefan Coerts @StefanCoerts
Official: #Ajax have reached an agreement with head coach Frank de Boer over a new contract until June 2017.

So much for Frank replacing Tito this Summer.

That was never under considiration :p

But it will be good to see him at Barça in a few years.

Meier

Noel thinks Becks should become a songwriter.

The former England and Manchester United player confirmed that he will stop playing football at the end of this season having rejected a chance to continue playing with Paris St Germain into 2014. Speaking to ITV News about Beckham's next career move while at the Ivor Novello Awards yesterday (May 16), Gallagher said: "Songwriting".

He added: "He's had a great career and played for some of the most iconic clubs in world football. He could probably go into management one day, as long as it's not (Manchester) City."

The former Oasis member also said he "hated" Beckham when he played for United, but has since become friends with the sportsman. "I hated him when he played for United. Hated him. Hate. Proper hate. But luckily I met him when he'd left United and he's such a nice lad and he's a brilliant footballer."
http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallag...l&utm_campaign=NME-Newsletter-Friday17May2013

jtb

Banned
Wenger going through a clearout apparently. Gervinho is also linked with a move out. I'd be surprised if Podolski went though tbh. He's a good option to have for us although he can't seem to handle a full 90 ever.

agreed. Plus, we need him as cover for center forward—he might not be RVP, but he's certainly better than Bendtner or Chamakh.

hopefully we do actually manage to sell some of the deadwood this summer though; won't be shedding too many tears if Gervinho does leave.

xintin

Cech's kids are cute.[/QUOTE]Petr's kid saved a shot from Torres's kid after the game on Sunday. SIGN HIM UP!

edit - shitty tumblr gif time!
[QUOTE][IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/9730cb3a15901eb0c1ddfddbdf593205/tumblr_mn5gnx8xsH1qfoie2o3_400.gif
tumblr_mn5gnx8xsH1qfoie2o4_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom