• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

The Premier League being the most international and globally appealing league in the world will naturally mean that young English Players are "less important" than their counterparts in Spain and Germany, but theoretically it also gives them an advantage of playing with the best talent in the world. The premium price of English players may also hamper their development, but I don't think these factors are anywhere near as significant as the lack of planning, organisation and investment from the FA.

I think what is most telling is that it's exceedingly rare for even lower level/fringe English players to play for clubs outside England. I'm not sure if it's just an unwillingness to play for less money or what, but they're just not good enough.

Zabojnik

Gamespot's Last of Us review was spot on. It's an 8/10 game. Naughty Dog need to think hard and long how they're going to approach next-gen.

Meier

Chelsea will be very difficult to beat under Mou, especially when they add Cavani. It's gonna be an interesting season.

media_xl_1693731.jpg

Goooooooooaaaaaalll

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Everywhere I go no-one is taking United seriously next year. I cannot remember the last time this was the case.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
First couple of years in Fergie's tenure.

True, but I was more talking in my life time (though i was 1 when he took charge). Even on many of the united forums I pop onto to get the latest transfer news there is an air of nervousness, not many are willing to say we can defend the title. Its a strange notion for a United fan to face, especially coming off a comprehensive title win (marred slightly by the lack of competition ill give you)

Mr Cola

While not interested in playing TLOU I am going to watch some livestreams of it from first to last, seems very cinematic. I caught the opening 15 minutes on youtube today and it was quite something, ive heard "Best opening ever" mentioned but thats a little too far. I wont spoil it for anyone but its worth a watch.

Meier

Wow, I'd never heard of Georginio Wijnaldum but that's a helluva goalscoring record for him. Had a nice season at Feyenoord his last year there too.

Surprised he hasn't been linked with foreign clubs (or if he has that I hadn't heard about it).

Someone in the German media mentioned that Mou's coaching style is outdated. I see a lot of similarities between Mou's term at Real and LVG's at Bayern, they both think that they are bigger than the club and the players and seem to reject change. There methods can be succesful, but they simply won't last in the long run (especially when you have a squad full of divas and stars).

Mou's treatment of Casillas mirrors LVG's of Butt / Kraft/ Neuer too.

Can't really agree on that, only for the fact that I have never seen LVG at any other club than Bayern (sorry, can't really remember all that much of him at Barcelona, Milan or Ajax and couldn't care less about Alkmar).

Yet I really don't have an explanation how Mou can be such a polarizing person even to his players. Looking back, there were just as many headstrong and difficult characters surrounding him in prior clubs as in Madrid, that unlike those rich cunts, cried bitter tears when he left.

In terms of the goalkeeper treatment I still think both were right with what they did. Rensing stepped out of Kahn's gigantic shadow and just didn't perform as he needed to at a club like Bayern. And his lack of success in other teams proved he just wasn't good enough. Kraft on the other hand was never really an option. LVG's flipflopping around comes with the territory. Damned if he does damned if he doesn't support him at first.

Casillas snub on the other hand was an open power struggle within the team. Mou wanted to crack down the influence of Iker's anti-Mou / pro-spanish player (not only pro-spain within team but also in terms of the worsened relationship between Barca-Real players) movement.

To be honest though, I don't really think Iker was that great the last few years anyway. Diego Lopez did an amazing job in Madrid and I don't think Iker would have played any better. If Iker would have kept his filthy mouth shut infront of his reporter girlfriend and not started a goddamn mutiny against the coach, he would have never gotten himself into that position.

What? how did they get that printing? lol

Friend of mine works at a shop that sells football gear, and he knows how to use the printer.

Lewandoswki isnt allowed to join Bayern in 2013.

Awesome. Eat your heart out Lewa.

Everywhere I go no-one is taking United seriously next year. I cannot remember the last time this was the case.
After we sold Van Nistelrooy and Rooney and Ronaldo were handed the reins everyone felt sure the era was finished. I still remember the media widely expecting us to finish 5th.

:lol

Someone in the German media mentioned that Mou's coaching style is outdated. I see a lot of similarities between Mou's term at Real and LVG's at Bayern, they both think that they are bigger than the club and the players and seem to reject change. There methods can be succesful, but they simply won't last in the long run (especially when you have a squad full of divas and stars).

Mou's treatment of Casillas mirrors LVG's of Butt / Kraft/ Neuer too.

Are you sure that wasn't about Magath's coaching style lol?

I don't see anything wrong with Mourinho's style or at least what you hear from his former players, most of them like him. It's not some Magath/van Gaal style coaching in which the players are afraid of them, I think he's more like Klopp there. Always fair to the players but also hard on them when needed.

And I don't see any similarities between Casillas and Kraft/Neuer. Casillas was injured, maybe out of form after and Lopez was great. Totally understandable to me. Van Gaal was just crazy, Kraft instead of Neuer lol

Mr Cola

After we sold Van Nistelrooy and Rooney and Ronaldo were handed the reins everyone felt sure the era was finished. I still remember the media widely expecting us to finish 5th.

:lol

I dont remember much about the VNR saga, I am actually not quite sure why the fans hate him so much given his rediculous goal record. I was watching the Alex statue presentation on MUTV and they were showing clips of a few ex players, on was Ruud and he got a huge boo from the fans.

Hixx

I dont remember much about the VNR saga, I am actually not quite sure why the fans hate him so much given his rediculous goal record. I was watching the Alex statue presentation on MUTV and they were showing clips of a few ex players, on was Ruud and he got a huge boo from the fans.

Hahaha

qindarka

Banned
It's wishful thinking that United will fall behind significantly. They cruised to the title this season, while I don't expect them to replicate it, they will definitely be contending for the title.

kharma45

they chant 'ruuuuuud', its not booing :p

Wow, I'd never heard of Georginio Wijnaldum but that's a helluva goalscoring record for him. Had a nice season at Feyenoord his last year there too.

Surprised he hasn't been linked with foreign clubs (or if he has that I hadn't heard about it).

The guy who knows every young player because of FM and you've never heard of him?

Bx4utMP.png

Lewandoswki isnt allowed to join Bayern in 2013.

Zorc says Lewandowski won't join Bayern in 2013, Watzke picture. Oh, bild...

Anyway, I think that sucks. Probably means we either don't have a proper replacement or we try to make Lewandowski move to Real/Chelsea/United/Juve(lol)/...

Bo-Locks

lol

It's "Ruud" "Ruud" "Ruud" that sounds like booing. No United fans actually boo him. I was at the legends game against Real last week and maybe there was a little ironic booing in the first half when he played for Real, but the fans still love him and they definitely don't boo him.

And every couple of years it's "this is the weakest United squad ever", "how will they cope without Cantona/van Nistelrooy/Keane/Ronaldo...". Everybody is just digging their claws in while they can and getting a little too excited about Mourinho at Chelsea.

Wait until Moyes formally takes charge and what business is done over the summer before passing judgement.

fuenf

Are you sure that wasn't about Magath's coaching style lol?

I don't see anything wrong with Mourinho's style or at least what you hear from his former players, most of them like him. It's not some Magath/van Gaal style coaching in which the players are afraid of them, I think he's more like Klopp there. Always fair to the players but also hard on them when needed.

And I don't see any similarities between Casillas and Kraft/Neuer. Casillas was injured, maybe out of form after and Lopez was great. Totally understandable to me. Van Gaal was just crazy, Kraft instead of Neuer lol

DerZuhälter;62238273 said:
Can't really agree on that, only for the fact that I have never seen LVG at any other club than Bayern (sorry, can't really remember all that much of him at Barcelona, Milan or Ajax and couldn't care less about Alkmar).

Yet I really don't have an explanation how Mou can be such a polarizing person even to his players. Looking back, there were just as many headstrong and difficult characters surrounding him in prior clubs as in Madrid, that unlike those rich cunts, cried bitter tears when he left.

In terms of the goalkeeper treatment I still think both were right with what they did. Rensing stepped out of Kahn's gigantic shadow and just didn't perform as he needed to at club like Bayern. And his lack of success in other teams proved he just wasn't good enough. LVG's flipflopping around comes with the territory.

Casillas snub on the other hand was an open power struggle within the team. Mou wanted to crack down the influence of Iker's anti-Mou / pro-spanish player (not only pro-spain within team but also in terms of the worsened relationship between Barca-Real players) movement.

To be honest though, I don't really think Iker was that great the last few years anyway. Diego Lopez did an amazing job in Madrid and I don't think Iker would have played any better. If Iker would have kept his filthy mouth shut infront of his reporter girlfriend and not started a goddamn mutiny against the coach, he would have never gotten himself into that position.

Maybe coaching style was the wrong word, but they are both headstrong managers who like to surpress their players. Sure it'll work for a time but I think a mutinity is almost unavoidable, just look at how much Bayern instantly improved when LVG was gone. Sure LVG is far worse than Mou, and a less competent manager. But overall I would say that they share the same view on what a football is / should be.

Mou definitely had a better case with Casillas, but it was still part of a power play against the club (just like with LVG). But yeah, Mou's still a great coach whereas LVG got drunk on his own success and went crazy. However, I don't think he's the "special one" anymore (that honour goes to Klopp).

DerZuhälter;62238273 said:
Awesome. Eat your heart out Lewa.

I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up at Real / Chelsea etc.

Lewa on a free to Bayern next year then.

Tbh that works out wonderfully for Bayern. They'll be getting a top quality striker for free. They don't desperately need him now as it is.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zorc says Lewandowski won't join Bayern in 2013, Watzke picture. Oh, bild...

Anyway, I think that sucks. Probably means we either don't have a proper replacement or we try to make Lewandowski move to Real/Chelsea/United/Juve(lol)/...
I was gonna say something about your "Juve(lol)" but fair enough. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom