• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
"It takes a lot to keep Clint Dempsey down, I'll tell you that much"

Was it just me or did he dive? Lol

he dived...great actor at that too.
anyways anyone else watching copa libertadores??
2-1 for olimpia for now.....
:D

Meier

Anyone in here been watching the The Apprentice (UK) ?

Just watching episode 5 at the moment. Can't wait to see Dubai! This is one of my favorite programs.. seen every season as well as all of Young Apprentice.

Went out to dinner and spent time with my parents who are visiting so I missed the game. Saw it was 1-1 and was thrilled.. thought we'd be utterly raped. The fact they scored 3 in the second half served as no surprise. The US' defense is a shambles.

Fry

Did odd_morsel fall asleep while taking a dump?

image.php

Did odd_morsel fall asleep while taking a dump?

iHV5IZ6S0fRgz.gif

I forgot about him. Maybe he had one of those shits that is sharp as hell, and it cut his asshole. The flapping of his ass cheecks continued the bleeding and he had to be rushed to a hospital. DESU.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't watch as much Copa Libertadores as I should. Damn, 26 penalties is nuts. And the Boca and Newell's rosters are a who's who of "whoa I thought he retired already!" Argentines.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Damn, I wish I had known Ecuador vs Germany was in Boca Raton. I would have gone to that game even having turned into a slaughter.

Why am I watching two Canadians teams play? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
Summer is already here and the European leagues are almost over :( You need your fix and will resort to Bad Football™.

Fry

Schweini, what can you tell me about this Doria, Botafogo's young (1994) and apparently very promising CB? We were close to signing him in January, but they wanted too much. We might try again this summer, rumor is Milan are interested too.

Never heard of him. :lol

The Bale hype in full force. Imagine if we don't get him, all those tears!

I wonder how you will fit him and Ronaldo. They both play the same way in that they get so much freedom to get their offense going. Your fullbacks are going to be hurting next season. Still, it's a good very small problem to have.

Suen

Seems Atletico wants Benteke as a replacement for Falcao. Not exactly a bad choice, he's not up to the same quality but then he's younger and quite good for his age. Besides if they buy Benteke they still have money left from the Falcao deal to invest in other areas. Interesting.

Suen

I wonder how you will fit him and Ronaldo. They both play the same way in that they get so much freedom to get their offense going. Your fullbacks are going to be hurting next season. Still, it's a good very small problem to have.
We have an overdependence on Ronaldo though, putting Bale there should remove some pressure from him while giving us hopefully a much better offense up front. I'm more concerned about our striker, both Ronaldo and Bale are players hungry for goals (Ronaldo has been trying to assist much more though) so how much room will that leave for the striker? It's risky.

rodvik

Seems Atletico wants Benteke as a replacement for Falcao. Not exactly a bad choice, he's not up to the same quality but then he's younger and quite good for his age. Besides if they buy Benteke they still have money left from the Falcao deal to invest in other areas. Interesting.

I doubt they can afford him. Of course if they do want to throw 30 million quid at us then maybe.

Turok_TTZ

sigh

So youre of the mind that Madrid would be better of jettisoning Ronaldo, and Benzema and Higuain would automatically become good? Benzema would start scoring 40 goals a season?

Not enough lols in the world

Nope not suggesting that, problem is not even CR7. Its all down to coach and emphasis on CR7. I do not mind that CR7 is the focal point. He is the focal point of attack for a reason. Problem is he is not efficient with the chances afforded to him. He's got 150+ more shots than messi and yet messi has outscored him 5 goals. He can score 55 goals all he wants but if the goals aren't taking us to la liga, cl, or even cdr dem 55 goals go down the drain.

Real problem is when he is not scoring but we still pass the ball to him regardless, hoping he scores when he is not in the game. we get screwed and too often we end up with draws or even losses because of this. What we do is basically "hero" tactics and we rely on cr7 too damn much to bail us out. we don't build up attacks, we just counter, pass to cr7 and hope for the best. can you not see the problem with this?

Attack needs to be shared. and focus needs to be switched when needed (whenever cr7 is for some reason "off" or when the opposition is totally reading our play). plus we need our striker to get consistent games and at least 10-12 chances instead of 3-5. need that confidence built. need to let the striker make his runs when and if he is better positioned to do so. and more importantly, fucking pass the ball to said striker when he makes those runs. cannot tell you countless times how benzema and higuain just stop bothering to make the runs after being ignored over, and over, and over again. Can't imagine how Falcao/Cavani/etc would react to this.

Though technically Benz is supposed to let cr7 enter his area and drift to the wings, same for higuain they do try to do runs regardless they just keep getting ignored. sure every now and then they get noticed and they score a goal but that needs to happen more often. a striker starved of goals does alot to add frustration. something we don't need.

Whoever is gonna coach us, be it that fool carlo ancelotti or jupp heynckes, they need to setup our attack so that its not heavily reliant on cr7. its okay to rely on cr7 but not all the time, and not excessively. when he is not there it hurts us bad. we need to be able to be threatening from more than one player, not just cr7.

while I said all of this and you just have been dismissive, you have yet to counter any of my points. not once saying anything that would otherwise challenge what i say. why are you silent? am I wrong? why don't you try to tell me why I am wrong. I would genuinely welcome some debate here. Tell me why you think the falcaos, the cavanis, the lewandowski's would succeed here and not fail. Tell me why Mourinho was right to set up our attack the way it is. Tell me why you think our reliance of cr7 is not excessive. please, I'd seriously welcome your thoughts. I came here to discuss football and hopefully instead of being a dismissive person who can't answer back, I can get a thoughtful response from an person who isn't afraid to share his opinion.

I will post a pic on carlo vs mou tactics later on. I was playing Fire emblem awakening and CSGO and it slipped my mind. derp.
oh yeah, carvajal is coming back. that or i lose all faith in flo.

Timurid

Nope not suggesting that, problem is not even CR7. Its all down to coach and emphasis on CR7. I do not mind that CR7 is the focal point. He is the focal point of attack for a reason. Problem is he is not efficient with the chances afforded to him. He's got 150+ more shots than messi and yet messi has outscored him 5 goals. He can score 55 goals all he wants but if the goals aren't taking us to la liga, cl, or even cdr dem 55 goals go down the drain.

Real problem is when he is not scoring but we still pass the ball to him regardless, hoping he scores when he is not in the game. we get screwed and too often we end up with draws or even losses because of this. What we do is basically "hero" tactics and we rely on cr7 too damn much to bail us out. we don't build up attacks, we just counter, pass to cr7 and hope for the best. can you not see the problem with this?

Attack needs to be shared. and focus needs to be switched when needed (whenever cr7 is for some reason "off" or when the opposition is totally reading our play). plus we need our striker to get consistent games and at least 10-12 chances instead of 3-5. need that confidence built. need to let the striker make his runs when and if he is better positioned to do so. and more importantly, fucking pass the ball to said striker when he makes those runs. cannot tell you countless times how benzema and higuain just stop bothering to make the runs after being ignored over, and over, and over again. Can't imagine how Falcao/Cavani/etc would react to this.

Though technically Benz is supposed to let cr7 enter his area and drift to the wings, same for higuain they do try to do runs regardless they just keep getting ignored. sure every now and then they get noticed and they score a goal but that needs to happen more often. a striker starved of goals does alot to add frustration. something we don't need.

Whoever is gonna coach us, be it that fool carlo ancelotti or jupp heynckes, they need to setup our attack so that its not heavily reliant on cr7. its okay to rely on cr7 but not all the time, and not excessively. when he is not there it hurts us bad. we need to be able to be threatening from more than one player, not just cr7.

while I said all of this and you just have been dismissive, you have yet to counter any of my points. not once saying anything that would otherwise challenge what i say. why are you silent? am I wrong? why don't you try to tell me why I am wrong. I would genuinely welcome some debate here. Tell me why you think the falcaos, the cavanis, the lewandowski's would succeed here and not fail. Tell me why Mourinho was right to set up our attack the way it is. Tell me why you think our reliance of cr7 is not excessive. please, I'd seriously welcome your thoughts. I came here to discuss football and hopefully instead of being a dismissive person who can't answer back, I can get a thoughtful response from an person who isn't afraid to share his opinion.

I will post a pic on carlo vs mou tactics later on. I was playing Fire emblem awakening and CSGO and it slipped my mind. derp.
He can't answer you because he doesn't watch football.

GorillaJu

Yo FootyGaf looks like it was a false alarm earlier i didn't actually have to take a big shit.

oh and i was told crazy news about cr7's future but looks like my source is backing off lol updates here as i get them

MPW

He's great, but he's the greatest cunt of all.

Hope this does not mean no Bale :(

i guess we'll go for him if spurs refuse to even listen to offers for Bale until next summer and we miss out on cavani

he's better than higuain that's for sure

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 38m
Sorry for delay. And....and it doesn't sound good from LFC's point of view. The old 'come and get me plea'.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 32m
Suarez interview hasn't been lost in translation, no. Translations I've seen accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom