• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT22| His true nature avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I think top three is pretty much guaranteed.

Still think we'll win the league too.

I think there will be teething problems regardless of Moyes competency.

United are lucky that both City & Chelsea are going through managerial transitions at the same time. Mourinho will hit the ground running, I feel.

Man Utd will finish second or third I think, but it's not totally inconceivable to think that they'll end or fourth or worse. Moyes is under a lot of pressure, and if results go against him at the start of the season then you never know how he'll react to it. It's just an such an unknown without Fergie.

I do think teams will be less respectful/scared of you this year.

A lot of teams already came out and attacked us in the past two seasons.

Obv. Moyes will be a factor, or the lack of Fergie...but to finish outside the top 4 with the players we have. Moyes would have to have an absolute shocker, a truly terrible terrible season. You'd want very very very long odds to place a meaningful bet on that.

Honestly, I don't know what I'll do if we sell Rui Patricio to Porto. This just isnt right

Only way that could happen is if Porto pays the 40 million contract clause which will never happen. This is just bullshit from the papers, a couple of days ago it was Benfica who was buying Patricio.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fabio Capello turned 67 today.

tumblr_m4qzhsBLpR1rwkiq1o1_500.jpg

Cunt.

This Football 365 Mediawatch piece on Joe Kinnear is so good:

Mediawatch said:
Joe Kinnear might be unwell. We might be dreadful people for laughing at him. But, as Newcastle have apparently given him a job that would seem to indicate all/most of his mental faculties are there, it's OK to mock him.

Kinnear spoke to SHOUTsport on Monday evening. You'll almost certainly be aware of this, and you may have listened to the whole thing, shifting uncomfortably in your seat while doing so.

If not, there are a few bits we'd like to highlight. The italics are Kinnear's comments, the following text is what we'd like to call 'reality'.

"Derek Llambezee was the director of football. Derek has resigned now."

He's talking about Derek Llambias, who according to The Daily Telegraph, is Newcastle's managing director and has never been director of football.

"Where have these people been - have they been on another planet? I have played in five cup finals, I have won the lot. I had over 400 games for Tottenham Hotspur, been manager of the year three times. I have travelled all over the world as a manager."

Kinnear was LMA manager of the year once, in 1994. He has received several manager of the month awards, and perhaps he has his own personal manager of the year award that he dishes out every year. In which case, it's very modest to only have given it to himself three times. Oh, and by 'travelled all over the world as a manager', he means 'I managed India in 1984 and Nepal in 1987.'

"That's the people up there or the people round that area that I have upset and they have a grudge so I expect it. It's water off a duck's arse."

Actually, when the water has travelled off the duck's back, it probably will reach the arse, so we'll give him that one.

"I bought Dean Holdsworth for 50 grand - sold him for £3m. I sold John Scales for £3m - he was a free transfer. I sold Robbie Earle for x, y, z."

Holdsworth was bought for £650,000. Scales cost £70,000 and was signed five years before Kinnear joined Wimbledon. Robbie Earle retired at Wimbledon a year after Kinnear left.

"I think they've got some magnificent midfield players: Tiote. Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab..."

No comment.

"I mean this is a side I haven't had privilege to be with - a lot of players still there that were there when I was still there - I brought Krul to the club and I think he's a terrific goalkeeper."

Tim Krul was recruited from ADO Den Haag in 2006. Kinnear arrived at Newcastle in 2008.

"A lot of players still there that were there when I was still there...Perch is still there."

Perch was bought in the summer of 2010, some 18 months after Kinnear left the first time.

"Shola Amamobi is getting better and better, he's a young kid. Galteirez, and of course a lot of other players."

Getting the names of your own players right probably isn't that important. Oh, and Shola Ameobi is 31. He probably means his younger brother, Sammy.

"I don't know what angle they've got. If they want to sit down and argue with me, some of them are talking out their backsides, a load of tosh and I'm not accepting it. It's as simple as that. I've certainly got more intelligence than them, that's for sure."

This was in response to the question: 'Is there anything you would like to say to the Newcastle fans who perhaps don't back this decision?'

It's probably all going to be fine.

I'm so sorry Newcastle fans.

Arnie

United fans don't know what it's like to have a fallible manager. Sure, Ferguson has made mistakes, but nobody truly questions his decisions enough for their to be mass discontent amongst supporters. Moyes has three poor results, makes three questionable substitutions, or even pulls off a couple of underwhelming signings and things can all change.

For once United are at a level playing field to the rest of us.

Salazar

Do one. We are fucking rich, fucking good, we stomped the league.

We couldn't even see or hear you for a long stretch of the season.

Level playing field my fucking arse. Liverpool are underground. Concentrate on getting on Arsenal's level.

United fans don't know what it's like to have a fallible manager. Sure, Ferguson has made mistakes, but nobody truly questions his decisions enough for their to be mass discontent amongst supporters. Moyes has three poor results, makes three questionable substitutions, or even pulls off a couple of underwhelming signings and things can all change.

Look buddy, our last manager once bought Eric Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson in the same transfer window. He even thought Kleberson was a winger. He continually played Based-Shinji on the wing and numerous other players out of position to not particularly great effect (Quinton Fortune in central midfield in the CL anyone?).

Fergie has done some asinine things but made up for it in man management and situational awareness during games, at which he is admittedly unparalleled.

Arnie

Do one. We are fucking rich, fucking good, we stomped the league.

We couldn't even see or hear you for a long stretch of the season.

Level playing field my fucking arse. Liverpool are underground. Concentrate on getting on Arsenal's level.
Read between the lines.

I'm not saying you're as good as fucking Hull.

But you are managed by David Moyes so there's similarities, for sure.
Look buddy, our last manager once bought Eric Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson in the same transfer window. He even thought Kleberson was a winger. He continually played Based-Shinji on the wing and numerous other players out of position to not particularly great effect (Quinton Fortune in central midfield in the CL anyone?).

Fergie has done some asinine things but made up for it in man management and situational awareness during games, at which he is admittedly unparalleled.
Yes and he got away with it because he's Ferguson, and because, like you say, he's a world class manager in other departments.

When David Moyes does that you're well and truly fucked.

Salvadora

I'm just saying that United's team, staff and structure are more than good enough to not "go down" just because of Moyes, who is far from the worst choice.

They are facing some of the best managers in the world who are spending ludicrous amounts of money to get world class players.

They are certainly good enough to go down.

Clegg

They are facing some of the best managers in the world who are spending ludicrous amounts of money to get world class players.

They are certainly good enough to go down.
Tbh the only clubs we really have to worry about are City and Chelsea. Those two have the players and managers capable of giving us a proper challenge. But we were so far ahead of Arsenal that one season isn't going to be enough for them to catch us. We could deteriorate over the next couple of seasons but I can't see us dropping out of contention for a while yet.

There is enough quality in our squad for us to challenge for the league title for the next few years. Moyes toughest job will be to recruit and develop the next wave of United players and and make them into a title challenging side.

Salvadora

Arsenal achieved what, 26/30 points after the loss to Tottenham?

That's a lot for a team without a striker and no 'great' players...

Yen

Does anyone think that Fergie still being around the club will be Matt Busby all over again? I remember Shankly left the club altogether because they didn't want a repeat of that situation (among other reasons).
IIRC, Shankly was pee'd off that he wasn't put on the board.

Clegg

Arsenal achieved what, 26/30 points after the loss to Tottenham?

That's a lot for a team without a striker and no 'great' players...
I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here. But if you're talking about Arsenals chances of catching up to United then you have to remember you finished 16 points behind a side who stopped giving a shit about results in April.

Salvadora

Andy Carroll will be on £100,00 p/w at West Ham on a six year contract....

The worlds gone mad.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here. But if you're talking about Arsenals chances of catching up to United then you have to remember you finished 16 points behind a side who stopped giving a shit about results in April.

If we sign a competent striker and strengthen a few other positions on the pitch we could challenge for the title/trophies. The run at the end of the season shows our mental fortitude. We ground out results in a way we haven't done for a long, long time.

Carbonox

The worlds gone mad.

If we sign a competent striker and strengthen a few other positions on the pitch we could challenge for the title/trophies. The run at the end of the season shows our mental fortitude. We ground out results in a way we haven't done for a long, long time.

:lol West Ham. One of the most incompetent teams in the league where transfers are concerned. Only QPR dicked them last year in that area.

luso

Korea 0-1 Iran, Iran to the WC, 1m left.
If Uzbekistan scores 2 goals, Korea is out from direct qualification (3 minutes to end though).

Edit: not really, more goals needed...

Edit2: But if Iran drew they're out

Clegg

The worlds gone mad.

You'll need more than a competent striker to make up the gap there is between yourselves and United. Tbh you need a completely new front line for that.

Then there's City and Chelsea who have already strengthened through signing new managers/bringing in a works class manager. I really can't see anything other than another fourth place finish for Arsenal.

Arnie

He is a mentalist Christian, apparently.

But so is ZahALLAH

He is. It's part of the reason Ferguson was so keen for him to succeed him.

Honestly all this was filed in the Arnie_ITK dossier back in 2011.

Mental wages for someone who barely plays and possesses the mobility of a donkey. But, saying that, amid all the abuse, he'll be brilliant for West Ham. Give him something to run and head and he's alright, if he can stay on his feet.

And I'll never, ever, ever forget...

untitled-10o0k9m.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom