• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Who you want out and who you want to replace them?
Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, and Vidal at the least. I am not sure if I want Semedo out yet, he can help at times, but his gaps on defense are exploited easily.
I cannot analyze the market right now to see who should replace them, but I am confident that Puig and Fati need to play. I don’t want Griezmam out yet, his work rate is good enough.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Barcelona, historically, has always had the best forwards in the world.

Griezmann isn't even close to be put in that list. He is a good player, but nothing else.

That does not refute what I said though since his performance while at Barcelona (being not ustilized correctly) is all that count for that list

Dark Rider

Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, and Vidal at the least. I am not sure if I want Semedo out yet, he can help at times, but his gaps on defense are exploited easily.

Barcelona always had a problem in the defense for a long while now but it was hidden by the overwhelming mid-field and forwards that masked the defense weaknesses but whenever Barcelona were attacked even at the height of their pep years you could see the gaping holes in defense.

Thanks. I know that they played in Portugal 🇵🇹, but it will be an 8 past 2 in Barcelona all day today.

I was just being pedantic

Dark Rider

A true Barcelona fan prefers to lose 5-0 than 1-0. Humiliation is the seed for changes. You heard here first!

I feel changes were underway even if Barcelona won this game to be honest. Maybe after this defeat the changes will be more violent and the real question is how far it will go and will it be good changes long term or not.

godhandiscen

Barcelona always had a problem in the defense for a long while now but it was hidden by the overwhelming mid-field and forwards that masked the defense weaknesses but whenever Barcelona were attacked even at the height of their pep years you could see the gaping holes in defense.

Correct too. It shows how powerful the Xavi and Iniesta duo was to mask the defensive problems we had.

The moment Xavi left things started to go wrong. It is time to rebuild. We took a gamble on the past five years trying to keep the old guard, but things were rotten at the core all along. Messi cannot save this.

Jon Neu

Banned
Barcelona needed to start their rebuild two years ago like Real Madrid but they didn't and that lead to this result.

Two years ago?

You mean 7 years ago, when Dani Alves, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Abidal and the likes were obviously entering the decline of their careers.

We have one very big problem: the press. We know the spanish press is going to be against us because we are the team of Catalonia, so we take that for granted because you can't do nothing about it. But the worst part has been the most powerful press of Catalonia: the Godó group. They constantly attacked Joan Laporta (the president who took a crappy and depressed Barça and constructed the best team to ever play the game) and they also attacked Pep Guardiola because both Laporta and Guardiola represent the Cruyff school of thinking, the Cruyff side of Barça's history.

In the social mass of the FC Barcelona, decades ago, when president Nuñez sacked Cruyff as the manager of the team, there was a divide: some people took Nuñez's side and some other people took the Cruyff side. It was called "Nuñistas" vs "Cruyffistas", and that scission still lives to the present days.

The Godó group has done everything in their power to influentiate against the Cruyff side and take the Nuñez side, they have sing the praises of Bartomeu (Real Madrid's best president in history) and have utterly destroyed and difamed the legacy of Laporta, Guardiola and Cruyff, which are by the way the three more succesful figures in the history of the club.

Bartomeu staying for so long in the club's presidency is the direct responsability of a manipulative hateful press. They have been one of the key elements in the utterly destruction of the best team ever made, something we will regret forever.

Dark Rider

Correct too. It shows how powerful the Xavi and Iniesta duo was to mask the defensive problems we had.

The moment Xavi left things started to go wrong. It is time to rebuild. We took a gamble on the past five years trying to keep the old guard, but things were rotten at the core all along. Messi cannot save this.

I think it was more of let us squeeze as much out of these players and for as long as we can than a gamble and they missed the mark when the juice stopped, Messi did his best and still do but he is aging and need to have more support now.

Jon Neu

Banned

When Xavi and Iniesta were at their best, we had some of the best defense ever.

Alves, Pique, Puyol, Abidal it's the best defensive line in the history of the club.

godhandiscen

I think it was more of let us squeeze as much out of these players and for as long as we can than a gamble and they missed the mark when the juice stopped, Messi did his best and still do but he is aging and need to have more support now.
Messi is still among the top five best players of the world on any given day. However, not even on his best years Messi was surrounded by such a low quality team.

To win a Champions League you need to have at the very least an amazingly disciplined team or a star studded team, and Barcelona is neither. We used to have 4 or 5 players starting who were among the top five in their positions, but we don’t anymore. Messi can give you the illusion that we have a good team, but we don’t. Today reality sinked us.

When Xavi and Iniesta were at their best, we had some of the best defense ever.

Alves, Pique, Puyol, Abidal it's the best defensive line in the history of the club.

They were amazing contributing to attack, and our ball control disguised our issues. The game has evolved too. Teams didn't pressure us up front like they do now since we were so heavy up front, that it was an incredible risk.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Two years ago?

You mean 7 years ago, when Dani Alves, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Abidal and the likes were obviously entering the decline of their careers.

You could do that too but my point there was still juice left to squeeze out of the team and they chose to do it which is fine but the problem is the cut off point when the juice completely dried out was two years ago.

We have one very big problem: the press. We know the spanish press is going to be against us because we are the team of Catalonia, so we take that for granted because you can't do nothing about it. But the worst part has been the most powerful press of Catalonia: the Godó group.

Every region press attack everyone including their own region clubs including Catalonia press which is also attacking relentlessly other clubs from other regions, this is a flimsy excuse.

They constantly attacked Joan Laporta (the president who took a crappy and depressed Barça and constructed the best team to ever play the game) and they also attacked Pep Guardiola because both Laporta and Guardiola represent the Cruyff school of thinking, the Cruyff side of Barça's history.

Laporta Was indeed a good president but he got extremely lucky with Beckham turning Barcelona down and choosing Real Madrid which led to plan B buying Ronaldinho while at the same time Barcelona academy was about to gift Barcelona the best generation they could produce in their history. Again Laporta was a good president for taking full advantage of all those circumstances but I don't find him a genius of a president. Also I guess we will disagree on what team is the best team to ever play the game but that is not important.

In the social mass of the FC Barcelona, decades ago, when president Nuñez sacked Cruyff as the manager of the team, there was a divide: some people took Nuñez's side and some other people took the Cruyff side. It was called "Nuñistas" vs "Cruyffistas", and that scission still lives to the present days.

The Godó group has done everything in their power to influentiate against the Cruyff side and take the Nuñez side, they have sing the praises of Bartomeu (Real Madrid's best president in history) and have utterly destroyed and difamed the legacy of Laporta, Guardiola and Cruyff, which are by the way the three more succesful figures in the history of the club.

Are you saying it was an inside job? :pie_thinking:

Bartomeu staying for so long in the club's presidency is the direct responsability of a manipulative hateful press. They have been one of the key elements in the utterly destruction of the best team ever made, something we will regret forever.

Blame the club members for electing him, it was Barcelona members fault all along that Bartomeu is the president no one else.

there is no fucking way messi staying now right?

Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?
He will, it is his club unless they kick him out the door which won't happen as Barcelona fans will side with him against anyone in the club.

Messi is still among the top five best players of the world on any given day. However, not even on his best years Messi was surrounded by such a low quality team.

To win a Champions League you need to have at the very least an amazingly disciplined team or a star studded team, and Barcelona is neither. We used to have 4 or 5 players starting who were among the top five in their positions, but we don’t anymore. Messi can give you the illusion that we have a good team, but we don’t. Today reality sinked us.

I think most people outside of Barcelona fans will tell you that there are at least 5 or more top names at the club at the moment but they are not performing to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

I think most people outside of Barcelona fans will tell you that there are at least 5 or more top names at the club at the moment but they are not performing to your satisfaction.
I have been watching Barcelona since 1990 or so, and this team is definitely one of the weakest. The core of the team has aged out. They have experience, but they don’t have the speed anymore.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
They were amazing contributing to attack, and our ball control disguised our issues. The game has evolved too. Teams didn't pressure us up front like they do now since we were so heavy up front, that it was an incredible risk.

There weren't barely any issues, we were a super offensive team that leave a lot of space behind, and yet we had formidable defenders capable of defending in such risky situations. Puyol is the best defender I have ever seen.

And of course teams did a lot of pressure on us, but back then we had players that could destroy that pressure with calmness, technique and tiki taka style passing.

Dark Rider

I have been watching Barcelona since 1990 or so, and this team is definitely one of the weakest. The core of the team has aged out. They have experience, but they don’t have the speed anymore.

Worse than early 00s before Ronaldinho era? you were not in the top 4 of the league table back then I think most football fans will disagree with you I think the current wounds of the situation is clouding your judgement.

Jon Neu

Banned
Every region press attack everyone including their own region clubs including Catalonia press which is also attacking relentlessly other clubs from other regions, this is a flimsy excuse.

Catalonia's press isn't the national press of Spain, that's Madrid's press. They are much bigger and far more influential than the local catalan press.

Calling it an excuse is ignoring the power of the press.

Laporta Was indeed a good president but he got extremely lucky with Beckham turning Barcelona down and choosing Real Madrid which led to plan B buying Ronaldinho while at the same time Barcelona academy was about to gift Barcelona the best generation they could produce in their history. Again Laporta was a good president for taking full advantage of all those circumstances but I don't find him a genius of a president. Also I guess we will disagree on what team is the best team to ever play the game but that is not important.

Ronaldinho's Barça wasn't even the best Barça Laporta produced, but if we associate everything to "luck" then there isn't hardly anything to discuss.

Joan Laporta took a depressed institution that was almost close to descend to second division and created a super team first, and the best team to ever play the game later.

Blame the club members for electing him, it was Barcelona members fault all along that Bartomeu is the president no one else.

A lot of the club's members are really old people who are easily manipulated by the lies and manipulations of the press. It's sad to see how many people turned on Guardiola and Laporta, the same people that now defend Bartomeu.

You underestimate the power of the media.

godhandiscen

There weren't barely any issues, we were a super offensive team that leave a lot of space behind, and yet we had formidable defenders capable of defending in such risky situations. Puyol is the best defender I have ever seen.

And of course teams did a lot of pressure on us, but back then we had players that could destroy that pressure with calmness, technique and tiki taka style passing.
I agree on Puyol being one of the best defenders ever, but I also saw Maldini, and that dude was a step above.

The only year when we were perfect was 09, and after that we definitely started exhibiting the issues back there. Specially since the back line with Pique and Puyol lasted so little. I remember Marquez playing in the back and the problems starting.

Teams couldn’t pressure our build up from the goal back then since it was difficult for them to even get us to concede a goal kick. Today we conceded more goal kicks than the 09 team would concede in 10 matches.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

Worse than early 00s before Ronaldinho era? you were not in the top 4 of the league table back then I think most football fans will disagree with you I think the current wounds of the situation is clouding your judgement.
That team with Messi could achieved more than our current team. I am talking about the quality of the team sans Messi and Ter Stegen.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The only year when we were perfect was 09, and after that we definitely started exhibiting the issues back there. Specially since the back line with Pique and Puyol lasted so little. I remember Marquez playing in the back and the problems starting.

I didn't saw any issues regarding ball control, I saw issues when teams started to literally play with all their players around in their own area to try and stop Barça from scoring. But we had always the absolute control of the ball and no matter the pressure of the opponent team, we always succeeded in bringing the ball forward. There were obviously some mistakes by the goalkeepers (Valdes/Pinto), but overall we didn't suffer when teams pressured us upfront.

That's precisely why teams stopped pressing us, because when they did that they left a lot of space behind and they were easily crushed in the first minutes of the games. Then they started to play ultra defensively waiting for Barça in their own field and praying for a counterattack or an isolated play to score.

Dark Rider

Catalonia's press isn't the national press of Spain, that's Madrid's press. They are much bigger and far more influential than the local catalan press.

Calling it an excuse is ignoring the power of the press.

There is no "national press", there are press in every region and they all attack everyone including themselves relentlessly that is a fact. Catalonia does not listen to any other press other than their own let alone listening to any press from Madrid and guess who is in charge of FC Barcelona and the Catalan press both? yes people from Catalonia, again blaming any other region press is a flimsy excuse for Barcelona.

Ronaldinho's Barça wasn't even the best Barça Laporta produced, but if we associate everything to "luck" then there isn't hardly anything to discuss.

Joan Laporta took a depressed institution that was almost close to descend to second division and created a super team first, and the best team to ever play the game later.

Ronaldinho era was the start of Barcelona best years and he elevated the club from being decent to being scary all over Europe. Then the academy generation started to trickle in supported Ronaldinho and then took over completely when he was out. the academy generation was not the work of Laporta and signing Ronaldinho was the luck of Beckham refusal to go to Barcelona and choosing Real Madrid and Barcelona was not close to getting relegated. Again Laporta was a good president who did a great job taking advantage of the situation and keeping Barcelona steady not a genius in my opinion.
Best team to ever play the game? I respect your opinion but many including me disagree of course.

A lot of the club's members are really old people who are easily manipulated by the lies and manipulations of the press. It's sad to see how many people turned on Guardiola and Laporta, the same people that now defend Bartomeu.

You underestimate the power of the media.

Members come and go and old members saw Barcelona in more situations than both of us and yes they could be wrong too and make mistakes but bottom of the line is that Bartomeu is Barcelona president because the club members chose him so blame them for it and for listening to any type of media.

I agree on Puyol being one of the best defenders ever, but I also saw Maldini, and that dude was a step above.

Teams couldn’t pressure our build up from the goal back then since it was difficult for them to even get us to concede a goal kick. Today we conceded more goal kicks than the 09 team would concede in 10 matches.

09? I think you are forgetting a certain defender called Oleguer Presas.

That team with Messi could achieved more than our current team. I am talking about the quality of the team sans Messi and Ter Stegen.

You are not taking into account the age of the players, the managers and how the club utilize them and treat them so I disagree.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

I didn't saw any issues regarding ball control, I saw issues when teams started to literally play with all their players around in their own area to try and stop Barça from scoring. But we had always the absolute control of the ball and no matter the pressure of the opponent team, we always succeeded in bringing the ball forward. There were obviously some mistakes by the goalkeepers (Valdes/Pinto), but overall we didn't suffer when teams pressured us upfront.

That's precisely why teams stopped pressing us, because when they did that they left a lot of space behind and they were easily crushed in the first minutes of the games. Then they started to play ultra defensively waiting for Barça in their own field and praying for a counterattack or an isolated play to score.
I think we agree. I am not saying that our defenders back then were bad, but they wouldn’t fit in a defense oriented team designed around resisting the pressure we experienced today. No single strategy can beat them all unless it is executed to perfection.

godhandiscen

You are not taking into account the age of the players, the managers and how the club utilize them and treat them so I disagree.
I’d kill to have Rivaldo and Figo next to Messi. Just saying.

I think that you are right though, the 2003 team was very weak and it got destroyed.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Pique on TV 1: "Horrible game, awful feelings, total embarrassment. It is very hard, but hopefully serves for something. We al need to reflect. The club needs changes, not talking about coach or players, the club needs changes of all type.¨

:pie_thinking:

Meowzers

Pique on TV 1: "Horrible game, awful feelings, total embarrassment. It is very hard, but hopefully serves for something. We al need to reflect. The club needs changes, not talking about coach or players, the club needs changes of all type.¨

:pie_thinking:

Messi to join Swansea City I can see it now.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Welcome to the football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
H6mDApJ.jpg

Last edited:

Tschumi

Another year where surely neither Messi nor cRonaldo will win the Ballon d'Or . . . Feel bad for Messi, couldn't care less about cRonaldo . . . But that's another topic for another day...

Thoughts on possible candidates for the award? Bit early to be sure, certainly~

One feels that a Liverpool player would have a far better chance if they had stayed in the ECL and got to 100pts~

I just hope PSG don't win, or Neymar would probably get it, which would be a disservice to genuine football tyros everywhere~

Dark Rider

Another year where surely neither Messi nor cRonaldo will win the Ballon d'Or . . . Feel bad for Messi, couldn't care less about cRonaldo . . . But that's another topic for another day...

One feels that a Liverpool player would have a far better chance if they had stayed in the ECL and got to 100pts~

I just hope PSG don't win, or Neymar would probably get it, which would be a disservice to genuine football tyros everywhere~

Ballon d'Or got canceled this season

The Ballon d’Or will not be awarded in 2020.

:messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

If it hadn't gotten cancelled, it would be De Bruyne hands down. Then again, Messi SHOULD NOT have won over based VVD. That was fucked up.

longdi

Banned
Two years ago?

We have one very big problem: the press. We know the spanish press is going to be against us because we are the team of Catalonia, so we take that for granted because you can't do nothing about it. But the worst part has been the most powerful press of Catalonia: the Godó group. They constantly attacked Joan Laporta (the president who took a crappy and depressed Barça and constructed the best team to ever play the game) and they also attacked Pep Guardiola because both Laporta and Guardiola represent the Cruyff school of thinking, the Cruyff side of Barça's history.

Kinda make sense, what happened to Lamasia in the last 5-7 years?
Why did Barca keep selling their youths and spent millions buying overpriced attackers?

Almost like they ignored the 'zidane and pavons' lesson :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

Top Bottom