• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Edibles Are The Next Big Thing For Pot Entrepreneurs

Edibles will put you on your ass if you ingest too much. I ate too much pot chocolate and was paranoid for he whole day.

I like eating em when I have a day off work and don't have anything planned.

And if you eat some , wait like 30 mins and that shit will kick in.

Sometimes longer. I'd say up to 2 hours.

Fuck edibles, that's an easy way to get way the hell too high and trigger panic attacks.

Anyone who prefers ingestion should get into tinctures where you can be mindful of dosage.

Edibles will put you on your ass if you ingest too much. I ate too much pot chocolate and was paranoid for he whole day.

Also, don't eat them right before you sleep. Your digestive system slows down while you sleep. I had some once before bed, woke up the next morning, I'm driving to work and all of a sudden like...oh shit its just now kicking in......

Also, don't eat them right before you sleep. Your digestive system slows down while you sleep. I had some once before bed, woke up the next morning, I'm driving to work and all of a sudden like...oh shit its just now kicking in......

What's the point in doing that? Like, isn't the point to get high? Sleeping kinda defeats that purpose.

game-boi

Because I see a number of inexperienced people in the thread thinking about trying edibles, I feel like it's important to state that edibles, while they look like the easy way to try weed for the first time, are actually a really bad idea for weed newbs. Please considering using a joint or vape before trying edibles.

Edibles are much harder to dose and difficult to predict how they will affect you. It's really easy to have too much, become paranoid, and write something stupid about it. A lot edibles are super potent even for a regular dose (20-50mg) and often inconsistent but take a good amount of time to fully kick in. Improper dosing will put you on your ass so hard and is really unpleasant. That said, something lighter like a joint or a vape can help you ease into it a little more (effects take only take a minute to feel) and you have much more control over how high you get. Also, it's way easier to share a joint with someone :)

I know that the idea of smoking sounds much harder/intense, but it's really not. Think of smoking a joint as sipping a beer or two and taking an edible as buttchugging.

Lord Fagan

I talk with my smoker friends who are starting to have kids. They feel so conflicted about the edibles.

On the one hand, it's a really great way for them to still enjoy a controlled recreational lifestyle after bedtime, and not have to worry about second hand smoking or having uncomfortable conversations when a kid really is too young.

But on the other hand, they really want to be responsible if we move forward into a world where recreational use is legal when it comes to young kids. It's a question of recognizing things that you need to recognize. If you're seeing some eight-year-olds smoking a dub or taking bong rips, there's no question that it's wrong and demands report to authorities, honestly. But what do you do when they're just hanging out eating lollipops, or having some cookies? Would you know one way or another? I mean, parents can get savvy about hiding stuff and locking up their stash, but if these things really are indistinguishable from simple food, you'd never know what snack they'd find out in the world and bring home from a friends house may or may not have a little extra ingredient.

They're really torn, and I feel for them. Getting on the right side of history only works if we make sure we educate and look out for each other, and make sure to respect a parent's desire to protect younger children. Sure, not everybody, including myself, is going to directly be affected by that angle, but it's something that is going to be a very big part of the debate as society takes legalization seriously and practically.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Chicken Pot Pie

I've made linguine with clam sauce based around THC infused oil. Only problem was I basically ate the entire helping, which was meant for like 6 to 8 people, by myself over a course of like six hours lol

Sky Chief

As someone who works in the cannabis industry I disagree. I think their popularity is about to peak. My company and others are working on new products that take less time to kick in, are easier to dose, and don't contain tons of sugar and fat. Edibles will be old news in a couple years.

I've made linguine with clam sauce based around THC infused oil. Only problem was I basically ate the entire helping, which was meant for like 6 to 8 people, by myself over a course of like six hours lol

That actually sounds delicious. Does the flavor work well with savory ingredients?

shira

As someone who works in the cannabis industry I disagree. I think their popularity is about to peak. My company and others are working on new products that take less time to kick in, are easier to dose, and don't contain tons of sugar and fat. Edibles will be old news in a couple years.

Have any deals been made with like McDonalds or KFC?

That shit would clean up
money.gif

Xe4

Banned
Your kid has a better chance of killing themself with legally prescribed pills or alcohol.
Which is why we don't have alchol infused gummies lying around.

What?

A.) Edibles are safer than smoke, which can lead to a number of lung diseases.

B.) "Incorrect" dosage makes no sense since the LD50 for THC is insanely high, at worst you'll go on a mind-bend.

C.) Kids getting into a stash would be the same as kids getting into the liquor cabinet, except magnitudes less dangerous.

(And before anyone says a bunch of bullshit, I do not support the idea of anyone under 18 being legally able to obtain marijuana or marijuana derivatives.)
A.) Agreed that they're less physically harmful. That doesn't mean they're not dangerous.

B.) Just because a THC OD is night impossible doesn't mean it's not dangerous in high amounts, especially for children. See here:
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/2534480

C.) Again, liquor tastes foul to children, whereas pot infused gummies taste like, well, gummies.

A.) Agreed that they're less physically harmful. That doesn't mean they're not dangerous.

B.) Just because a THC OD is night impossible doesn't mean it's not dangerous in high amounts, especially for children. See here:

C.) Again, liquor tastes foul to children, whereas pot infused gummies taste like, well, gummies.

That article doesn't actually describe the dangers of high-level exposure, only exposure rates. And I'll concede the last point, although, the flavor of pot can be a turn-off to people. It's an acquired taste.

Also, from the article:

To our knowledge, the effect of recreational marijuana on the pediatric population has not been evaluated.

Poppy

i have a batch of brownies that has been chillin in the freeze for months now because eating like a cubic centimeter will send me to the netherrealm, so i just eat a tiny chunk and thats it for a whole day. only problem with edibles is that if i take too much, which is very easy for me to do since i have a low drug tolerance, i am just fucking useless. like i cant even talk to people when i am that messed up, i get lost in my words before i can even finish a complete sentence

Xe4

Banned
That article doesn't actually describe the dangers of high-level exposure, only exposure rates. And I'll concede the last point, although, the flavor of pot can be a turn-off to people. It's an acquired taste.

Also, from the article:
It's true that the full effect of ingesting MJ edibles is not known. However, any time a person has to go to a hospital or call poison controlled because of eating too many cannabis edibles, that is bad, and something we should try our best to avoid. It's clear to me there are a number of problems with the way edibles are manufactured and sold and people are not educated on storage and ingestion. That is bad, and needs a ton of work.

The only argument I see at all of edibles being sold through stores instead of made at home is that they can control the THC levels better. But there needs to be a bunch more work in that area.

Poppy

if anyone calls poison control or 911 because they ate too many edibles they probably should not be allowed near weed. the worst that happens is you will go into spin mode until you pass out or be locked in place for a few hours, it sucks but it is ultimately harmless

i mean i woke up from a super weed coma to go to the bathroom then passed out and put a dent in my wall once, but it was simply a valuable lesson about overindulgence. not gonna kill anyone!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Edibles get a bad rap from people not understanding proper dosing. You should start at 2 to 3mg tops to see the effect, 5mg at the most.. a standard dose is 10mg.

Most of the people I've heard having bad experiences were eating like 50 to 100mg at once and wondering why they passed out for a day or had a terrible high.

Also, just because someone has a high tolerance to smoking doesn't mean that edibles won't still mess you up. They think they can toke kush all day and make the mistake of eating a whole bag of gummies like candy.

cbrun44

I've tried Mirth Provisions Legal sparking tonic multiple times and all it gives me is an upset stomach. Tastes good and seems to have a relatively high potency but it literally does nothing for me.

hokahey

Every year pot makes me feel more anxious than before, and edibles are even worse. I never pass on a good brownie even if I regret it later though.

someone needs to come up with hash macarons, I'd be all over them.

Gotta smoke or eat less than you think. I am in the same boat, and one quick puff or corner from a brownie is plenty to make me feel calm and relaxed.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My parents get legal weed when they are in Maine and the store they go to has jolly ranchers edibles. I don't smoke myself but I'm really tempted to try one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That actually sounds delicious. Does the flavor work well with savory ingredients?

You can still taste the pot flavor but with the right balance of Garlic, Oregeno and other spices it by no means overpowering and makes for a delicious dish that will leave you on your ass for the rest of the day.

If it takes only 30 minutes to feel, you're probably in for a wild wild ride.

30 min? Shit, usually takes like 90 for me. Way too long.

Up the dosage. You want to start feeling stuff at around 60 min. If it takes longer you didn't eat enough and if it shorter see above.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Apparently (and someone will quickly correct me if I'm wrong) when marijuana is mixed with fat and heated up, a cannabinoid that isn't normally metabolized is unlocked, and this cannabinoid is way more hallucinogenic.

I'm not a fan of edibles.

To everyone who is curious, yes edibles have different effects than smoking or vaping (which are similar but also different).

Cannabis contains dozens of psychoactive chemicals that all modulate each other though THC and CBD are the two major ones. When you inhale a drug, you mostly bypass the liver which modifies drugs before it hits your brain. In the case of THC, it forms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11-Hydroxy-THC which is more potent. Also, you get a different cannabinoid profile when you burn something versus eating it which generally releases the entire profile. Edibles are also more efficient in that sense and the more cannabinoids, the more interaction and the less able your body is to process the psychoactive parts (only so much fatty acid amide hydrolase to break down cannabinoids). Finally, you are also not getting the additional effects of smoking which includes monoamine oxide inhibitors and causes a big immune response which contributes to the high.

tl;dr: edibles involve a different mix of cannabinoids including an important active metabolite not readily produced when smoked/vaped and you generally ingest more because of the slow peak.

watershed

Banned
Edibles can be awesome and there are some pretty good options already available. The offerings are gonna continue to diversify which will be fun.

I've tried edibles a couple times and I never feel really high from it. I get the buzzy body high and thats fine. It's just not for me.

I like the social aspect of sharing a spliff or hitting the bong. I also prefer the "mind high" from smoking. I can dose it better and still shit while high.

Also I just like smoking.

see5harp

Fuck edibles, that's an easy way to get way the hell too high and trigger panic attacks.

Anyone who prefers ingestion should get into tinctures where you can be mindful of dosage.

I know exactly how much I'm eating. I get these espresso beans that are pretty uniform in size.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Edibles are ultimately not reliable for me or anybody I know. It's fun but a waste for me, and for people I know, they've gotten WAY too high from not being able to judge the dose.

It's better just taking a little puff or two and knowing I'll feel something as long as the MJ is good.

edit: I eat whole "100mg" edibles all the time and they haven't hit me like I'd think they should. Depends on the brand though. I won't eat a whole Bhang bar or other high potency edibles, because I'd love to not panic my balls off.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

You've clearly never tasted a weed gummy lol

i've been trying to get into them cautiously recently cause i've heard the horror stories

i don't think 15 mg does anything to me.. maybe i should start at 30

Xe4

Banned
You've clearly never tasted a weed gummy lol

I've never had any sort of edibles, because I have no desire to remain high that long. I'm willing to bet it's a whole bunch more edible to kids than liquor is, though. Not to mention it already looks like candy, and there are cases of children eating them. Do you agree or no?

norm9

Edibles make me feel too heavy like indica (?). I can only handle the more chill weed strains. Getting real fucked up for the single purpose of getting fucked up was a long time ago.

Top Bottom