• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Rockstar Dev Warns GTA 6 Won’t Be Too Different From GTA 5

iu

GTA 6 is undoubtedly the biggest game coming next year.
Rockstar has made bold claims that hint GTA 6 will be revolutionary. However, a former Rockstar developer has warned fans to keep their expectations in check.

The developer initially praised the trailer for its atmosphere and portrayal of Miami. He also liked the beach scene, where Rockstar showed hundreds of NPCs on screen with different animations and detailed models.

However, Obbe Vermeij quickly pointed out that people expect too much from GTA 6. In his opinion, Rockstar is pushing the same formula to its limits, but the core foundations might not be too different from those of GTA 5’s.

“I don’t think it is going to be wildly different from GTA 5. I think people might be a little disappointed.”

The developer also followed this statement with more praise for the trailer, stating that it will most likely be the ‘best game out there.’

GTA-6-RT-1320x743.jpg

Further explaining his point, the developer outlined that technology no longer evolves as quickly as it used to. He pointed to the massive jump between consoles like the PS1 and PS2.

On the other hand, the PS4 and PS5 are not nearly as different, making it difficult to achieve revolutionary leaps in gameplay and visuals.

Obbe Vermeij makes solid points about GTA 6 but acknowledges that the game will be a huge hit. Much like the fans, the developer also seems to be quite excited about everything that Rockstar is doing, but it remains to be seen if the team will live up to everyone’s expectations.

Thabass

I mean I'm not expecting a big departure since the game made a fuckton of money, but I do expect them to change some things. Stop making the characters so heavy and make them a little speedier on their feet and please for the love of god, have a little bit more roleplaying and context menus like they had in RDR2. That was some of the best parts of RDR2 for me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If GTA 6 doesn’t cook me breakfast and fold my laundry, then it’s an objective failure.

Last edited:

Kabelly

from the leaked footage im excited for the different movement mechanics they're giving the players. we've seen jason go prone and also him being albe to shoot out of a window while the car is driving from the back seat. i hope they really took the criticisms of RDR2 and make them a bit quicker in their animations.

It also looks like they might take RDR2 interaction system on steroids for GTA since naturally there is just way more population than that of RDR2.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And here i thinking it would be a turn based RPG
I'd gladly play an RPG in GTA's setting lol, even more so of it's a JRPG.

Imagine, a game featured by minorities and deranged middle-aged dudes in which you start the game selling drugs and shooting hookers just to end it all by killing God like 120 hours later. Absolute kino.

Metnut

That means it’ll have a massive single player campaign. Day 1 for me on PS5 Pro. So glad I’ll be able to play this at launch and not have to wait years.

StueyDuck

wait the sequel to one of the highest-selling games of all time in the franchise where almost all their prior games have sold ridiculous amounts, from the studio whose games tend to break records and sales numbers on all their games.

won't be too different? wow, who would have seen that coming?

Last edited:

realcool

I don't know what this warning from the former Rockstar employee is actually supposed to entail. We've seen Red Dead Redemption 2. We've seen the GTAVI leaks. And, most importantly, we've seen the official GTAVI trailer. It doesn't logically follow that the masses need to temper their expectations at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
iu

GTA 6 is undoubtedly the biggest game coming next year.
Rockstar has made bold claims that hint GTA 6 will be revolutionary. However, a former Rockstar developer has warned fans to keep their expectations in check.

The developer initially praised the trailer for its atmosphere and portrayal of Miami. He also liked the beach scene, where Rockstar showed hundreds of NPCs on screen with different animations and detailed models.

However, Obbe Vermeij quickly pointed out that people expect too much from GTA 6. In his opinion, Rockstar is pushing the same formula to its limits, but the core foundations might not be too different from those of GTA 5’s.

“I don’t think it is going to be wildly different from GTA 5. I think people might be a little disappointed.”

The developer also followed this statement with more praise for the trailer, stating that it will most likely be the ‘best game out there.’

GTA-6-RT-1320x743.jpg

Further explaining his point, the developer outlined that technology no longer evolves as quickly as it used to. He pointed to the massive jump between consoles like the PS1 and PS2.

On the other hand, the PS4 and PS5 are not nearly as different, making it difficult to achieve revolutionary leaps in gameplay and visuals.

Obbe Vermeij makes solid points about GTA 6 but acknowledges that the game will be a huge hit. Much like the fans, the developer also seems to be quite excited about everything that Rockstar is doing, but it remains to be seen if the team will live up to everyone’s expectations.

To be fair GTA V was designed for Xbox 360 and PS3 (all the remasters have added costs of paint on top more or less), one has to hone that XSX|S and PS5 were what GTA VI was designed for…

"Best game out there", and "It won't be that different from GTA 5" are both (arguably) contradictory statements.

Either way, as long as it doesn't play and control like Red Dead 2, it will be an improvement. You literally can't get worse. Is up from there.

Red Dead 2, game design wise, genuinely seems like it was directed by a toddler.
Since it has been stated in the past that the actual devs were aiming to make Red 2 actually fun and functional to play, but the top heads came in and went "Nuh huh".

And we got the wannabe-movie-slog dogshit fest that was Red 2, GAME DESIGN WISE.

As long as GTA 6 is a step above dogshit, it will be great relatively speaking.

Three

This is what I've been saying before. People are going to be disappointed that it isn't that different. People laughed at me for some reason.
I've said before people are going to be disappointed in the leap not looking photo realistic even though there are going to be some nice additional touches like going in and out of buildings much quicker or the usual Rockstar attention to detail in animation.
The game probably won't look that graphically different to GTA5 but will have lots of small details that saints row wouldn't bother with. I think they will aim for more QoL improvements like no loading and things like that.

Last edited:
AI NPC’s make so much sense for this game. Please.could you imagine if each on remembered things you’ve done around them or to them? That would be a game changer.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t think anyone expected anything other than the typical GTA. Just done with Rockstar’s amazing attention to detail.

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. You could do SO much in IV. I literally don't see how they can vastly improve the experience much more. Even if it was the exact same everything but with minor changes here and there it'd still sell like hotcakes I'm sure.

Top Bottom