• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Rockstar Dev Warns GTA 6 Won’t Be Too Different From GTA 5

Hudo

Yep it was already hilariously bad in RDR2. Many open world games these days have a fluent structure, allowing to pick up the missions and then leave the rest for later as you please. In RDR2 each mission was separate from the free exploration and also how easy you could get a game over screen was unacceptable - you can't go too far, pick a different path or do something they didn't predict or allow.
This is one of the reasons why I think RDR2 is a bad game. And that's also why I am skeptical towards GTA 6.

Audiophile

One of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world with an immense amount of hype, 12 years of development with 6 years of intensive development, cost probably in excess of $2.5B by now and well over 2000 devs working on it.

I think they have to deliver or it'll be a shitstorm of disappointment.

Not to mention the morale of this whole industry seems to be resting on this game as a saviour; and Take-Two is horribly managed with the entire company pretty much counting on them.

We're still waiting on truly next gen experiences 4yrs into this gen and if they can't come up with something that feels fresh and raises the bar, I think the whole AA+ to AAAA space is buggered. If R* can't push the limits then no one else is gonna bother.

Also, this dev left R* just after GTA IV came out..

Last edited:
He hasn't worked on a modern GTA game, his last game was San Andreas. I have no doubt it will share a lot of similarities with GTA5, I mean it's a GTA game but things will be more advanced for sure.

The Stig

"username makes post". The fuck you even talking about The Stig?

V's world is detailed but the actual game was boring, forgettable garbage. Boring story and the characters. I thought IV was bad coming after San Andreas but it had big shoes to fill. Looking back in recent years, IV was okay overall. And it shits on V from great heights.
your post was a lame gag. Do you need more explanation?

the game was great. you may not have liked it but a shit ton of other people did.

get over it.

your post was a lame gag. Do you need more explanation?

the game was great. you may not have liked it but a shit ton of other people did.

get over it.
I got over it as soon as I completed the game and got rid of it from my collection. I don't accept mediocrity. I need a bit more than graphics in my list of great games The Stig.

Even RDR2 had the same button layout as GTA 4. Thats one they need to revamp, their button map is so weird and it feels like I have to use sometimes 2-3 buttons at the same time to get something done. They need to streamline it and make it more fluent like modern games, that is the only bad thing I could say about RDR2 and Id be really surprised if they havent made changes for GTA 6 in that regard.

Mission structure and control scheme is really the only thing their games need work on at this point. Everything else is nigh on perfection. As long as they keep the satirical humour and the grand scale they're known for, it'll be a slam dunk.
Don't forget that the Wanted/Police system needs work and the AI needs work and the Aimbot needs to be toned down as well. Make gunfights more dynamic and unpredictable again instead of a borefest.

SRTtoZ

Uhhh okay? GTA 3/4/5 and now 6 are all going to follow a similar structure sure. It's gonna be GTA 5 with a new coat of paint and I and everyone else is COMPLETELY fine with that. New story, new characters, new map, new visuals. Who thought that wasn't gonna be the case? Thank you captain obvious.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope it is a lot different. It should be considering GTA 5 first game out on the PS3/360.

I'm not too fused about looks. What I want to see is more NPCs on screen at once. Better NPC behaviour. More buildings that I can walk into and explore. Realistic damage, so if I shoot a rocket at a building it leaves a massive hole, not just a black smudge.

That would be a truly next gen game.

Kerotan

I mean no GTA is fundamentally that different since 3 released so I don't expect anything different here. If they provide a 60fps mode the graphical jump over GTA V ps3 won't be as big either.

Outlier

I will be less hyped if the driving and shooting is similar to GTA5. It's been 10+ years of arcade gameplay. I want something familiar, but fresh.

Even ignoring the games since PS3/360 that aren't on PS3/360, try going back and playing this on a 360/PS3 and see if it's just "graphics".
I mean gta5 was on ps3/360. Sooo yeah. Pretty much it just gonna be more pretty graphics. Is there gonna be more better physics in the game. Is there really gonna me more npc walking and doing there own thing like the trailer? We see. If the npc count is whole lot like the trailer was showing. They yeah, it’s a jump. But guess what, cyperpunk shown that on it trailers and it never was like that. If gta 6 is like that, they I will say it a jump for sure

Kumomeme

Matt Leblanc Wow GIF by NowThis

joke aside i just hope it wont has shitty non responsive control like RDR2.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This will be the biggest selling game of all time regardless, so I don't think anyone cares.
RDR and GTA haters:

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

With that said, even as a fan I've always been a critic of the games' often frustrating mission fail states and I hope that's one area Rockstar will make some meaningful changes.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

I only have one concern about GTA VI..... that driving physics again will be crap like in GTA V, where driving cars (or rather paper boxes) didn't give any kind of satisfaction. Driving cars in GTA IV was a lot of fun. Of course they can make the suspension a bit more firm than it was in GTA IV, but... GTA V was just awful.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's not just "Imo", that's the universal truth.
SA was flawed in some ways. It had things that forced you out of the action, such as the hunger mechanic that made you buy food and eat every 72 hours or risk starvation. I guess it's ok if you want to play a life sim, but some of its design choices made it my least favorite of the PS2 trilogy.

Things that would make it a success for me - gritty main characters, good enemy AI, interactive world, good gun sounds and physics. Even if the story wasn't super long and I got these things I'd be happy.

Hudo

SA was flawed in some ways. It had things that forced you out of the action, such as the hunger mechanic that made you buy food and eat every 72 hours or risk starvation. I guess it's ok if you want to play a life sim, but some of its design choices made it my least favorite of the PS2 trilogy.
Personally, I like Vice City the most. But I generally agree that San Andreas was most the most "explored" classic GTA game. Even with its stupid "RPG" mechanics.

GTA 4 was OK, I quite liked Ballad of Gay Tony, actually. GTA 5 was mid. And I dropped RDR 2 because I found it to be badly designed. Beautiful looking world, tho. So let's see if R* can beat that recent downward trajectory for me.

amigastar

Personally, I like Vice City the most. But I generally agree that San Andreas was most the most "explored" classic GTA game. Even with its stupid "RPG" mechanics.

GTA 4 was OK, I quite liked Ballad of Gay Tony, actually. GTA 5 was mid. And I dropped RDR 2 because I found it to be badly designed. Beautiful looking world, tho. So let's see if R* can beat that recent downward trajectory for me.
As hard as i have to admit as a Rockstar games fan but i didn't finish RDR 2. The car driving with music in GTA is so much better than riding on a horse for endless amount of time. Also modern weapons are much more fun than the old ones in RDR 2.

Last edited:

amigastar

Rumors are that Rockstar will show something of GTA VI in the next 24 hours since Take Two need some positive news for the stockholders.
Again i'm expecting to be disappointed but who knows.
I don't know you guys but i really want a new lifesign from Rockstar regarding GTA VI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom