• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Rockstar Dev Warns GTA 6 Won’t Be Too Different From GTA 5

clarky

Gold Member
Seeing that RDR2 still shits on like any videogame released nowadays, I’m not worried at all about this. DEI, woke and pc bullshit on the other hand…
RDR2 looks amazing but controls like shit and the missions, my god, the fail states made me to rip my hair out.

Riding around taking in the scenery is unbelievable though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
wait sooooooo long do not dissimpoint me

farley-fat.gif

luca_29_bg

from the leaked footage im excited for the different movement mechanics they're giving the players. we've seen jason go prone and also him being albe to shoot out of a window while the car is driving from the back seat. i hope they really took the criticisms of RDR2 and make them a bit quicker in their animations.

It also looks like they might take RDR2 interaction system on steroids for GTA since naturally there is just way more population than that of RDR2.

Leaked footage ? What i have misssed ? o_O

Rockman33

He says the difference in technology isn’t as big as it used to be. Which I agree.

But this isn’t just a 1 gen jump. GTA5 was designed and made for PS3, not PS4. So I’d hope there would be a big tech upgrade with a two gen jump.

Pimpbaa

Good, I liked GTAV a lot. Played it to hell on the PS3, PS4 and my XSX (once on the series x when it was briefly on gamepass). I’m talking about the single player. I probably played less than a few hours total on GTA online. That shit ruined rockstar.

Last edited:

qbxwhi

it would be an accomplishment for them to be able to at least match gta5 quality.
most game studios/developers seem to be having trouble matching quality of their previous games.

I don't have any problem with that. My problem lies with the fact that it has also taken until the next ice age. One or the other is fine, but both is a bit questionable.

Kabelly

Leaked footage ? What i have misssed ? o_O
there was a pretty significant development leak of the game a year before it was announced. You see a lot of gameplay mechanics, and behind the scenes stuff you normally never get to see. it's very fascinating and shows how much work goes into games of this magnitude. nothing new if that's what you that i meant. you can find clips but it seems like they scrubbed a lot. i saved a video it's like an hour long.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
giant nothing burger as opposed to the whole interview which is an amazing inside look into the history of GTA development

Just gimme more liberties in the mission structure and I'm good.
Maybe also better gunplay and more weight to the cars but not too much like GTA IV and we have our game of the generation.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Missions need to be open ended in regards of how to achieve them and general movement and shooting mechanics should be directly lifted from MGS phantom pain.

If it’s the same “mission failed” bs and wonky shooting mechanics from the PS2 ear I would be really disappointed.

Robb

Gold Member
Was that not expected? I don’t think they have much reason to greatly change anything, the GTA games barely have any worthwhile competition other than other GTA games.

Fine tuning and working on the current foundation should be expected. One can only hope they don’t focus too much on GTAO, but I’m guessing that will be the games main focus since that’s where the money is.

Last edited:

kikkis

Was that not expected? I don’t think they have much reason to greatly change anything, the GTA games barely have any worthwhile competition other than other GTA games.

Fine tuning and working on the current foundation should be expected. One can only hope they don’t focus too much on GTAO, but I’m guessing that will be the games main focus since that’s where the money is.
Gtao has much more potential than sp but I doubt it will be any good.

Muffdraul

I mean, GTA 4 was objectively a downgrade from San Andreas in several ways... but it's still my favorite in the series. And I totally loved GTA 5, so... can't say this worries me in the slightest.

xrnzaaas

I mean the mission structure needs the best improvement. Shit has too many fail states.
Yep it was already hilariously bad in RDR2. Many open world games these days have a fluent structure, allowing to pick up the missions and then leave the rest for later as you please. In RDR2 each mission was separate from the free exploration and also how easy you could get a game over screen was unacceptable - you can't go too far, pick a different path or do something they didn't predict or allow.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game is gonna be similar to the most successful game ever and they are just gonna push the formula to its limit?

3p1016sMZYOj.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The game is gonna be similar to the most successful game ever and they are just gonna push the formula to its limit?

3p1016sMZYOj.gif
To be fair considering these games are so rare, the last one covered three console generations almost… if this one is expected to last till almost PS8-PS9 one would expect something that can last that long… so we will see where they innovate and the hooks they have to expand it on.

I do think they will have taken, but maybe not exploited to the fullest, the next-generation consoles (XSX|S and PS5) as base for their tech and we may see over time content / expansions that keep pushing it more and more (do not think the initial release will max these consoles… and yet will work best on PS5 Pro and then PC… think more RT use and maybe full path tracing). I do not think they will get a lot out of PS6 and PS7 remasters proportionally to what PS4 and PS4 Pro brought them over PS3, but we shall see :).

consoul

GTAV wasn't 'wildy different' from GTAIV either.

I'm not sure who was expecting the 6th numbered sequel of the GTA series to be wildly different from the 5th. It's the next GTA.

makaveli60

RDR2 looks amazing but controls like shit and the missions, my god, the fail states made me to rip my hair out.

Riding around taking in the scenery is unbelievable though.
Yeah, it’s definitely not for everyone. I, for one, really enjoy the immersion which is the result of animations being more important than control response, but I get that for some that’s terrible. Still, not many games are like this and I’m glad that we at least have this one. I would hope the same for GTA VI, but there was too much bitching about RDR2 controls so I don’t think they will stay with this formula. Best would be to have options for those want better controls and for those who want more immersion, but I know this is not viable.

Last edited:

gamer82

i've never played gta its not really a game that interests me but couldn't they take the game to a diffrent setting , the future etc to pull of a diffrent look that will make good use the raytracing to ehance the game. i

i'm sure they could make it look great compared to last gen games if they really wanted but i aint no game designer so theres that and its probaly not that simple .:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
“I don’t think it is going to be wildly different from GTA 5. I think people might be a little disappointed.”

The developer also followed this statement with more praise for the trailer, stating that it will most likely be the ‘best game out there.’
"Please keep your expectations in check"

also

"It will be the best game ever"

Did anyone really expect otherwise? GTA5 made Rockstar gazillions in revenue and still regularly shows up on bestseller lists over a decade after its release.

Shubh_C63

If this is GTAV 2.0 than the Campaign needs to be looooooong. Like old school games kinda long.

GTA5 was such a disappointment. For me, Cutscenes (dialogues etc) were the highlight of GTA5, not the gameplay or driving or mission structure or overall story.

GTAVI gotta go with a bold FOV like RDR2 and open things really slowly.

Danknugz

needs a native VR mode with motion controls and steering wheel support

also i forget if they ever fixed it in gtaV, but do they still cull vehicles after they've driven out of the players POV? one thing that always annoyed me and ruined the immersion. you should be able to see someone drive by you want to car jack and do something else, hop in a motorcycle and catch up to them 2 miles down the road and still carjack them for example.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I think it'll be just like GTA 5, the single player will be short and sweet and the focus will be online, why wouldn't they do that after all the success of online, which is why i don't mind waiting for the PC version, i doubt there will be any dlc SP side either.

Valt7786

Mission structure and control scheme is really the only thing their games need work on at this point. Everything else is nigh on perfection. As long as they keep the satirical humour and the grand scale they're known for, it'll be a slam dunk.

username makes post

GTA V 2.0 sounds great
"username makes post". The fuck you even talking about The Stig?

V's world is detailed but the actual game was boring, forgettable garbage. Boring story and the characters. I thought IV was bad coming after San Andreas but it had big shoes to fill. Looking back in recent years, IV was okay overall. And it shits on V from great heights.

Top Bottom