• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toppot

mIMfg.png
KU18j.png
mYtSU.png
BCaXb.png

TheBear

Could someone please do an avatar of my dog? I'm thinking maybe a trace around the head like the NBA avatars or just transparent, and on an angle and mirrored.
Cheers!

298077_10150924169065301_905000300_21269925_1187501144_n.jpg

Clipper

Could anyone suggest how to create that outline in Gimp?

When I'm doing them, I tend to:

1. Select the area to be bordered
  2. Selection...Grow - to make it a bit bigger by half the intended outline width
  3. Edit...Stroke Selection - to add the stroke with the outline width.

That sometimes leaves gaps due to bad growth algorithms, but I just now figured out a better way:

2. Layer...New Layer - get a new layer on which to put the stroke
  3. Edit...Stroke Selection - to add the stroke to the new layer with double the intended outline width
  4. Move the new layer underneath the original.

You could also use Select...Grow, then Fill or Select...Border, then Fill on that new background layer for slightly different takes on the algorithm (might give a smoother outline), but I think the Stroke with feathered edges is going to look best most of the time.

Could anyone suggest how to create that outline in Gimp?

What I do-

1. Take the object you want a border around (in this case the dogs head)
2. Duplicate the layer.
3. Select your duplicate layer and in colors> brightness/contrast reduce the contrast to 0.
4. Select the "select by color" tool (in the tool box it's the icon with little blue/red/green boxes) or you can just right click, select> by color
5. Select your now gray silhouette of the image.
6. Right click, select> grow
7. choose how many pixels wide the border should be and hit ok
8. Use the paintbrush tool to fill in the silhouette, what color doesn't matter, you can use the colors> hue-saturation tool to fine tune the color.

Toddler

When I'm doing them, I tend to:

2. Selection...Grow - to make it a bit bigger by half the intended outline width
  3. Edit...Stroke Selection - to add the stroke with the outline width.

That sometimes leaves gaps due to bad growth algorithms, but I just now figured out a better way:

2. Layer...New Layer - get a new layer on which to put the stroke
  3. Edit...Stroke Selection - to add the stroke to the new layer with double the intended outline width
  4. Move the new layer underneath the original.

You could also use Select...Grow, then Fill or Select...Border, then Fill on that new background layer for slightly different takes on the algorithm (might give a smoother outline), but I think the Stroke with feathered edges is going to look best most of the time.

What I do-

1. Take the object you want a border around (in this case the dogs head)
2. Duplicate the layer.
3. Select your duplicate layer and in colors> brightness/contrast reduce the contrast to 0.
4. Select the "select by color" tool (in the tool box it's the icon with little blue/red/green boxes) or you can just right click, select> by color
5. Select your now gray silhouette of the image.
6. Right click, select> grow
7. choose how many pixels wide the border should be and hit ok
8. Use the paintbrush tool to fill in the silhouette, what color doesn't matter, you can use the colors> hue-saturation tool to fine tune the color.

I'll try both of these in a bit guys. Many thanks!

Pollux

EDIT: Actually, could you just avatarize this image and put the UK logo in the same spot as the current avatar but make the blue part of the UK the same yellow as Scorpion?

scorpion.gif

uk-logo.jpg

Thanks guys.

Toppot

keuS5.png
EvNrP.png
VupxN.png
Kszlx.png

If you want the UK changing to a different yellow let me know. There's a lot of yellows on him =P and a pail or bright yellow might not show up so well.

Endo Punk

Hello there fellow... Gaffers. I have finally been awarded a membership at this fine exclusive club :) Feels good. Been lurking for far too long....

Anyway I was wondering if one of you wonderful people could make me an avatar, unfortunately I cant for the life of me find a picture. It's the one from the latest Metal Gear Rising trailer of this cyborg who looks slightly similar to Vamp, jumps on a tank and dismembers this army guy. I hope you know who I am talking about. Anyway I want the pic to be from when he finishes err dismembering the guy and looks towards Raiden with a.. troll face I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom