• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Avatar Request Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fjordson said:
I'm way too indecisive about my avatar (have put in a request before), but this is for certain my last one. Need to settle on something concrete.

This gif is slightly NSFW, so hopefully the focus can be on the upper half so that it's safe for the boards.

Feel free to cut out the first second where the camera is at its, um, lowest, and the last where it's basically just a shot of the doorway.

If that gif proves to be a less than ideal source, an avatar-ized version of this picture would be great - http://i56.tinypic.com/23tsiad.png (sorry for the large size).

Many thanks in advance to anyone who makes something out of either one and for being patient with an indecisive junior.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. Might wanna PM a mod and ask though.

6cJKY.gif

Hex

Banned
Anyone able to crop this to avatar size for me?
I have never been able to do animated gifs and keep them animated.

b1KGD.gif

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
JigglypuffSSB.gif

can someone please remove the white background? thx

Hex

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
zn9hC.gif

If it's too choppy I can reduce the size and colors and add more frames.

A wee bit spazzy, but so much better than I can hope to do
Edit : Woot! Added it to rotation

Fjordson

O D I N said:
I for one welcome our Cylon overlords.
Haha, me too. But after asking a mod, it's a no go. The beginning of the animation is pretty risque. Tricia Helfer is in a red dress for most of the show, but the clearest gif I can find is, of course, her without it.

AbsoluteZero said:
What? Mine has clean edges but the one you posted has white edges.

http://i.imgur.com/ijOkk.jpg

Edit: This is what you really want:

http://i.imgur.com/FbqE5.png
Since you're browsing with a black background, yours would look anti-aliased to you because the pixelated matte is black. On the default light background, you can see a pixelated black edge.

PS what the hell kind of phone is that? That is massive res for a phone.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Since you're browsing with a black background, yours would look anti-aliased to you because the pixelated matte is black. On the default light background, you can see a pixelated black edge.

PS what the hell kind of phone is that? That is massive res for a phone.

iPhone 4.

Regardless I fixed it with the above image. I feathered the edges very slightly when I removed the white so there's no pixelation and no white edges.

Also I find it hilarious that you would think calling me a "junior" is some kind of insult, weekend_warrior.

Can someone help me with these two gifs? I have no experience making animated gifs, but I created these two in GIMP with the help of a tutorial. I need help getting them under the file size as well as making them animate more smoothly.

If you can speed up this one a wee bit so Hisako doesn't look like she's moving in slow mo as well as cut the file size down that would be great. If you have to drop frames to make it work, that'd be okay.
nfweF.gif

If you can speed up Ichiro a bit here, properly loop his bass playing and cut the file size down that'd be fantastic.
cfayt.gif

Clipper

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Can someone help me with these two gifs? I have no experience making animated gifs, but I created these two in GIMP with the help of a tutorial. I need help getting them under the file size as well as making them animate more smoothly.

If you can speed up this one a wee bit so Hisako doesn't look like she's moving in slow mo as well as cut the file size down that would be great. If you have to drop frames to make it work, that'd be okay.
nfweF.gif

If you can speed up Ichiro a bit here, properly loop his bass playing and cut the file size down that'd be fantastic.
cfayt.gif

For the first one, I strongly suggest you give us something better to work with. You'd be better off cutting the bottom of the frame out and then you can have a more zoomed in pic. This is because the final image has to be smaller than 120 height AFTER it has been stretched to 90 width.

As for the other one...
guitar.gif

The loop is the best I could get without doing the reverse time thing that most looping avatars have. Looping like that would also make the camera a bit funky though, given its slow pan.

Oh, and here's some tips about what I did in case you want to learn on your own (I also use GIMP).

My steps were:
1: Filters...Animation...Unoptimize (making each frame be a full frame)
2: Delete layers from the end until the animation playback looped as cleanly as possible. I set up a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-D) to make this easy to do one by one.
3: Used Image...Mode...RGB then Image...Mode...Indexed and set number of colours to 128 (this is the best way to cut down on file size, provided the image doesn't have many colours in it. YOu could probably go a lot lower with this image too).
4: Filters..Animation...Optimize (for GIF) (typically saves a few kB)
5: Saved file as .gif, making sure to set the save options to use a 50ms gap between frames and to force that regardless of the original settings (original was 60ms per frame).

Edit: and I just scrolled up to see that I was beaten. Oh well, hopefully the info helps.

Clipper said:
For the first one, I strongly suggest you give us something better to work with. You'd be better off cutting the bottom of the frame out and then you can have a more zoomed in pic. This is because the final image has to be smaller than 120 height AFTER it has been stretched to 90 width.

As for the other one...
guitar.gif

The loop is the best I could get without doing the reverse time thing that most looping avatars have. Looping like that would also make the camera a bit funky though, given its slow pan.

Oh, and here's some tips about what I did in case you want to learn on your own (I also use GIMP).

My steps were:
1: Delete layers from the end until the animation playback looped as cleanly as possible. I set up a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-D) to make this easy to do one by one.
2: Used Image...Mode...RGB then Image...Mode...Indexed and set number of colours to 128 (this is the best way to cut down on file size, provided the image doesn't have many colours in it. YOu could probably go a lot lower with this image too).
3: Saved file as .gif, making sure to set the save options to use a 50ms gap between frames and to force that regardless of the original settings (original was 60ms per frame).

Thanks for the tips, and your effort, but I prefer the cleaner look and fludity of Weekend_Warrior's result. One of my main problems is speeding up gifs in GIMP. I'm guessing I'd have to use After Effects to achieve that, but I don't have access to that software, and I'm not going to buy it just to make some avatars haha

Clipper

Thanks for the tips, and your effort, but I prefer the cleaner look and fludity of Weekend_Warrior's result. One of my main problems is speeding up gifs in GIMP. I'm guessing I'd have to use After Effects to achieve that, but I don't have access to that software, and I'm not going to buy it just to make some avatars haha
Uh, my final step is how to speed it up. This works, provided the orignal image has all the frames at the same delay.

Not at all, I use GIMP for all the avatars I make.

When you save an image (you need to use the Save As option), you should see a few screens asking for a name, whether to save as an animated gif, etc, the last screen should be this one, and thats where you can change the delay. You can also change the delay right in the Layers dock, but that's only useful if you want different delays for each frame.

dtitN.png

Clipper

weekend_warrior said:
That's interesting, I thought you were using more advanced tools.

Given that you are using GIMP though, what is your way to do the reversed looping and so on? I haven't found an easy way to do it yet (although I haven't looked at GAP much yet). Do you also have an easy way of stripping out every second frame?

Clipper said:
Uh, my final step is how to speed it up. This works, provided the orignal image has all the frames at the same delay.

weekend_warrior said:

When you save an image (you need to use the Save As option), you should see a few screens asking for a name, whether to save as an animated gif, etc, the last screen should be this one, and thats where you can change the delay. You can also change the delay right in the Layers dock, but that's only useful if you want different delays for each frame.

dtitN.png

How very strange. I actually messed around with a lot of the settings in GIMP, and I put in a lot of different values in the delay box to see if I could get it to animate more smoothly and it never worked. I'm pretty sure I put 60 in as a value too. Very strange. In any case, thanks for the tip, I'd like to learn how to do something myself rather than rely on someone. Teach a man to fish etc.

Clipper said:
That's interesting, I thought you were using more advanced tools.

Given that you are using GIMP though, what is your way to do the reversed looping and so on? I haven't found an easy way to do it yet (although I haven't looked at GAP much yet). Do you also have an easy way of stripping out every second frame?

I do basically everything by hand, one frame at a time, I don't even have GAP because it doesn't work with Macs.

The best advice I can give is to set keyboard shorts for repetitive tasks. Using a mouse for everything takes an extremely long time. For example, to delete frames I have the "delete layer" function mapped to shift+F, and I use the up arrow key to scroll layers. So I start at the bottom of layer list, on frame 1, press UP to get to frame 2. shift+F, UP UP to get to layer 4, Shift+F, and so forth. If the source image is optimized (like the guitar one I just did), then you have to merge each frame to the one below it do "delete" the frame. So I would start at frame 3, shift+A to merge that on top of frame 2, essentially "deleting" frame 2, UP UP to frame 5, shift+A to merge that over frame 4, and so forth.

Making loops is similar, if not a little time consuming, but since avatars are usually around 20 frames it's not too bad. For that I have "duplicate layer" mapped to shift+D, and "move layer to top" mapped to shift+S. So if I'm looping a 10 frame animation, I'd start at frame 9, shift-D to dupe it, shift+S to bring it to the top of the list, then click on frame 8 shift+D, shift+S, etc etc.

Reading over this post everything sounds a lot more confusing then it is, so I hope this makes sense to people.

Clipper

How very strange. I actually messed around with a lot of the settings in GIMP, and I put in a lot of different values in the delay box to see if I could get it to animate more smoothly and it never worked. I'm pretty sure I put 60 in as a value too. Very strange. In any case, thanks for the tip, I'd like to learn how to do something myself rather than rely on someone. Teach a man to fish etc.
It did work. You had set the delay to 60ms. That's not what weekend_warrior and I used, though. Mine was set to 50ms, and it looks like weekend dropped every second frame, but left it at 60ms.

weekend_warrior said:
I do basically everything by hand, one frame at a time, I don't even have GAP because it doesn't work with Macs.

The best advice I can give is to set keyboard shorts for repetitive tasks. Using a mouse for everything takes an extremely long time. For example, to delete frames I have the "delete layer" function mapped to shift+F, and I use the up arrow key to scroll layers. So I start at the bottom of layer list, on frame 1, press UP to get to frame 2. shift+F, UP UP to get to layer 4, Shift+F, and so forth. If the source image is optimized (like the guitar one I just did), then you have to merge each frame to the one below it do "delete" the frame. So I would start at frame 3, shift+A to merge that on top of frame 2, essentially "deleting" frame 2, UP UP to frame 5, shift+A to merge that over frame 4, and so forth.

Making loops is similar, if not a little time consuming, but since avatars are usually around 20 frames it's not too bad. For that I have "duplicate layer" mapped to shift+D, and "move layer to top" mapped to shift+S. So if I'm looping a 10 frame animation, I'd start at frame 9, shift-D to dupe it, shift+S to bring it to the top of the list, then click on frame 8 shift+D, shift+S, etc etc.

Reading over this post everything sounds a lot more confusing then it is, so I hope this makes sense to people.

It makes sense and is how I was doing it too in the ones that I have done up to now (which I have begun to find tedious). I have a few more optimisations, though. For deleting frames, I select all the ones I want to delete with the mouse, then just use my keyboard mapped delete to delete them all. GIMP remembers the order in which you selected them, so as long as you don't select the ones you want to keep, it auto-chooses the order for you.

Having said that, I had a look through GAP and it seems pretty easy to do there with some of the features. I'll try it out next time.

Hmm, I also have one more question now. What are you using to convert your Youtube vids to GIFs? I can get the video files just fine with DownloadHelper, but was using GAP to extract the frames. The frame extractor in GAP has some bugs and it's hard to select specific regions of the video to extract, though.

Verendus

Banned
I have a request for an avatar. Much appreciated if someone could do it. I'm useless at this kind of thing.

If someone could avater this Arnold roar from Predator from about 00:20 - 00:31:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJPa8dGBxfM&feature=related

Or if they could avatar this:

2yo6fmf.gif

I think I would prefer the Arnold roar, but not sure how someone would go about doing that since it's a youtube video: does that make a difference?

Clipper

saizo said:
Any way I can get this resized?

2jili9.gif

Thanks in advance!
It would probably have to be pretty low quality to fit all of that into the avatar limits. Are there specific scenes in it that you'd prefer?

Articate

Banned
is someone able to make me an avatar from this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXFJOXvL_A

I've been thinking the marching from 1:00 to 1:04 in a loop. I don't know how hard that is to do, but I'm not sure if I want the first or the second guy. Whichever looks better!

Or from the marching at 1:18 - 1:21, in that case of the first guy (guy with the megaphone)

I'd be forever grateful if someone was able to help me! :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom