• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

jaypah

Slayer-33 said:
you know what's cool about that gif? the fact that it doesn't have all the frames from the actual video.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_forza_motorsport_3_press_conference_video_2b-12913_en.html

go ahead and see the actual video of it, there's nothing off about it. The car isnt even going as fast as that gif makes it out to be in the video :lol the amount of distorting is ungodly.

I'll remake that gif with all the frames brb.

that .gif is nothing like the video. it made it look like the car came screaming around sliding around like it was on ice. in the vid he was going pretty slow and actually steered like that. i had seen that .gif a few times and thought it looked weird. thanks for posting the vid link.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Are the complaints about GT's physics coming from people who've played Prologue? I wasn't a huge fan of how the previous GT games handled, but I thought GT5P was vastly improved.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Maybe people won't hang on to it as the holy grail of hate towards FM3, that gif is not even close to what happened in the video.

Where's the magic carpet ride now?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Captain Pants said:
Are the complaints about GT's physics coming from people who've played Prologue? I wasn't a huge fan of how the previous GT games handled, but I thought GT5P was vastly improved.

Well certain individuals confuse physics with damage while others seem to believe that poor "physics" are represented when you can't send an AWD car into a drift on every corner.

Arnie

belvedere said:
The floaty/loose/arcade feel of the car is a GT5 problem?
Nope but the physics model which is what you actually said is. And how did you deduce that Forza has "floaty/loose/arcade" car handling from a 6 second handy cam .Gif? Seriously.

Melfice7

Captain Pants said:

It seems it's easier to play blind and ignore that for as long as its possible.. the driving physics are great in prologue, we can all complain on the collision physics though but thats also being worked on

jaypah

RavenFox said:
Now I understand why Bish put up that title. I went through the thread again and I even posted lol.
Jesus has wept indeed.

the majority of this thread is hilarious. with the exception of a few post that are just kinda sad. but maybe my sarcasm detector is on the fritz for those.

I may be wrong but even so, the people that have played both GT and Forza series seem to prefer the driving model of Forza so can we just put the F3 floaty physics to bed? F3 will drive better than GT5. GT5 will look slightly better while doing so.

Apex

shinnn said:
you saw this in others cars? or it's the only one?
All cars, at least on the playable demos. Just search for any in-game vid and try to find a detailed interior, the swap is easy to spot because the interior darkness.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jett said:
It was annoying? Other than the Forza 3 pictures it proved that Cyberhearter is full of shit.

What are you babbling on about you fruitcake.

I'm guessing you're nothing like you pretend to be in real life....

:lol :lol Damn at the magic carpet FM3 .gif.

I may be wrong but even so, the people that have played both GT and Forza series seem to prefer the driving model of Forza so can we just put the F3 floaty physics to bed? F3 will drive better than GT5. GT5 will look slightly better while doing so.

I played both. I prefer GT driving model. FM does have floty physics. And why the fuck do people equate collision to physics? Wtf. F3 will not drive better than GT, we have no idea how GT5 will drive.

If anyone played Prologue, the physics is vastly improved but alas I guess people played Prologue with blinders on.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Arnie said:
Nope but the physics model which is what you actually said is. And how did you deduce that Forza has "floaty/loose/arcade" car handling from a 6 second handy cam .Gif? Seriously.

I've got a better question, where did I say that .gif was the only source of information for the claim you couldn't even comprehend yourself? Maybe you missed the 3-5 pages dedicated to magic carpet gifs. Those criticisms didn't start here, don't act like they did.

Captain Pants said:

It seems like the last resort to troll since graphics are not a strong point to argue.

Not only Prologue, but i doubt most people have played Spec III, which is totaly different on the physics front.

If you play with the right tires, you will get times that are just like real life. Problem is, most people can't pick the right tires to compare. (there's a great youtube video comparing Massa's pole in Suzuka with a on board lap in prologue, can't find the link).

It's a shame PD uses a bullshit scale for tires that goes from N1 to R3, instead of the actual names for the tires. I hope they change this in GT5.

Iknos

belvedere said:
I've got a better question, where did I say that .gif was the only source of information for the claim you couldn't even comprehend yourself? Maybe you missed the 3-5 pages dedicated to magic carpet gifs. Those criticisms didn't start here, don't act like they did.

They pretty much did.

As it was pointed out those "Top Gear" impressions were written by a guy not associated with the show.

Yet if you look at critical reviews Forza 3 is said to have fantastic physics.

Both Inside Sim Racing hosts raved about it. One of them said: "I can't believe this is a console sim racer".

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:
his quote was misunderstanding the original post he quoted. he thought "ingame" meant "gameplay" which it does not.

how about we compare gameplay shots from now on. or is that no longer important?

Hello? Most of the shots were from the quite clearly gameplay cockpit view.

cyberheater said:
What are you babbling on about you fruitcake.

I'm guessing you're nothing like you pretend to be in real life....

I'll have you know that is bannable offense.

And what exactly do I pretend to be in real life?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Iknos said:
They pretty much did.

As it was pointed out those "Top Gear" impressions were written by a guy not associated with the show.

Both Inside Sim Racing hosts raved about it. One of them said: "I can't believe this is a console sim racer".

I distinctly remember (only because a fellow NASIOC member said it) that he went back to playing FM1 (I know lol) because FM2's cars were too "floaty". This got a big debate going at one of the meets and this was back in 07. I also remember a small debate on an episode of 1up yours.

Toby

imtehman said:
I was leaning toward GT5 because 1000 cars and 16 cars on the track is much more appealing, but with that kind of physics it totally takes away from the "real driving simulator" experience
I really have no idea, but have they released a list of cars at all? I was just reading a review of GT PSP and apparently a car with a stripe is considered a completely different car than the same car without a stripe, so car numbers might not be the best thing to go off of.

Does anyone know the situation with using the Xbox 360 wireless racing wheel on the pc? Is Microsoft EVER going to release force feedback drivers?

BTW, I will buy both, but only when they reach ~$20.

Iknos said:
They pretty much did.

Forza 3 bro does not have fantastoc physics from what I've seen. What defines good physics here for you? I'm just wondering.

And I know your a pretty fair guy but your pretty bias towards F3 from what I've read of your posts.

RankoSD

29z643m.gif

Every time I see his gloves I see this:

5am2dy.jpg

I can't unsee that :D

belvedere said:
I distinctly remember (only because a fellow NASIOC member said it) that he went back to playing FM1 (I know lol) because FM2's cars were too "floaty". This got a big debate going at one of the meets and this was back in 07. I also remember a small debate on an episode of 1up yours.

sorry, are we talking about FM2 or FM3? i'm confused

Here's a prediction:

Forza 3 will be the best console racer to date, the first one with proper physics.

GT5 will never come out. On the off chance that it does, it will basically be GT1 with a graphics upgrade and bad online. Bumping other cars off the track as a method of overtaking in corners will drive even the SDF crazy.

Arnie

belvedere said:
Iknos replied perfectly. The Gif you commented on was also taken completely out of context in a manner which fuels the suspicion brought about by a preview already proven to be devoid of any real credibility. Furthmore it contradicts previews which have credibility in critiquing the genre such as Inside Sim Racing.

FortunateSon said:
Forza 3 bro does not have fantastoc physics from what I've seen.
ok please enlighten us. what have you seen? link the video please with your specific critique so we can be sure we understand properly.

FortunateSon said:
And I know your a pretty fair guy but your pretty bias towards F3 from what I've read of your posts.

and you're biased towards GT so i guess you guys balance each other out :)

KHarvey16

FortunateSon said:
F3 will not drive better than GT, we have no idea how GT5 will drive.

This sums up everything wrong with blind fanboyism. We don't know anything about how GT5 will drive, EXCEPT that it won't be worse than FM3.

Fantastic.

belvedere said:

ok let me spell it out for you:

i would like to see side by side comparisons of *gameplay* screenshots from one of the driving cameras. NOT replay, NOT photo mode, NOT garage, etc... does that make sense?

jakonovski said:
Here's a prediction:

Forza 3 will be the best console racer to date, the first one with proper physics.

GT5 will never come out. On the off chance that it does, it will basically be GT1 with a graphics upgrade and bad online. Bumping other cars off the track as a method of overtaking in corners will drive even the SDF crazy.

Proper physics? Like I said. What is with this proper physics talk? Define proper physics. No car racing sim will ever fucking have proper physics. Jesus. Forza Motorsport 3 is no where close to having proper physics. What equates physics? Handling? Collisions? What?

And by the way, nice try. That's some weak ass trolling.

Kowak

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:

i would like to see side by side comparisons of *gameplay* screenshots from one of the driving cameras. NOT replay, NOT photo mode, NOT garage, etc... does that make sense?

dude, this is gaf, of course it doesnt make sense.

SeaOfMadness said:

Why? the dick size contest from comparing what they can't play is way more exciting.

What's not fun about

OMG LOOK AT THE GARAGE PICS!
OMG LOOK AT THE REPLAY DETAIL!
OMG LOOK AT THE PRE RENDERED VIDEO!

Gameplay is for suckers.

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:

wd54.jpg

art8.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_165.jpg

gran_turismo_5_prologue_159.jpg

What do you think this is? Are you mental?

cyberheater said:
Does that work on a PC as well?

Driving Force GT works great on PC. I used it for the Shift demo the other day. Only things that don't work are Playstation specific things, like the PS button, +/- and dial. Those are Gran Turismo game specific (other than the PS button)

charsace

seattle6418 said:
It seems like the last resort to troll since graphics are not a strong point to argue.

Not only Prologue, but i doubt most people have played Spec III, which is totaly different on the physics front.

If you play with the right tires, you will get times that are just like real life. Problem is, most people can't pick the right tires to compare. (there's a great youtube video comparing Massa's pole in Suzuka with a on board lap in prologue, can't find the link).

It's a shame PD uses a bullshit scale for tires that goes from N1 to R3, instead of the actual names for the tires. I hope they change this in GT5.
Right tires? If the game is sim all the tires should be the right tires.

Top Bottom