• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Trickster

commedieu said:
You don't see it in the same way when you're sitting on your couch do you? We are looking at 720p shots on 1900x monitors.. or more.. Take that shot over a tv/monitor/lcd/plasma and some things are hidden. Which is the same with all gaming. I shouldn't have to explain this.. but if your tv shows a perfect representation of direct feed screenshots seen on high res monitors, ok.

Where were you when people were doing the exact same thing with Forza 3 pics?

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
Right right.
tp://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/109/1097355/e3-2010-forza-4-artwork-20100614031909709.jpg[/IMG]

:lol

It looks real, it's in a desert, and you can notice flat polygons, the wheels may be simple too (rims). The background looks like a real picture which makes the car look more believable. Would it look as nice with forza's usual cartoony color backgrounds (cut and paste someone).

Ploid 3.0 said:
It looks real, it's in a desert, and you can notice flat polygons, the wheels may be simple too (rims). The background looks like a real picture which makes the car look more believable. Would it look as nice with forza's usual cartoony color backgrounds (cut and paste someone).

You don't even have to look hard. There's raytracing in that picture. There's NONE on the E3 demo. It is, pure and simple a render done on Maya or 3DMax or whatever they use.

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
How many times have your quotes bit you in the ass already? :lol

You're pretty much immune at this point so you I kinda get it.

GT HD looked so good because it only had one car on the screen, maybe that's how they pulled off the rendering for this car (textures) and background.

Metalmurphy said:
You don't even have to look hard. There's raytracing in that picture. There's NONE on the E3 demo. It is, pure and simple a render done on Maya or 3DMax or whatever they use.

Oh true, I figured they could trick the illusion that raytracing is used in a tech video/demo?.

MrPliskin

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:

You don't really think that's even remotely possible on present day hardware, do you?

Ploid 3.0 said:
GT HD looked so good because it only had one car on the screen, maybe that's how they pulled off the rendering for this car (textures) and background.

Yeah... what about the impossible lack of aliasing? And GT5P looked the same, if not better, as GT HD... So I don't see the relevance in mentioning that.

dark10x said:
It's not the capture quality that I have a problem with. It's simply some of the art assets I'm seeing on screen are of very poor quality. Some of the foliage work, for instance, is far beyond where they should be.

For instance, look at the line of trees above the bridge. The quality of the texture work there is pretty bad. There have been a lot of details like this creeping up in screen shots. I'm just surprised at how it turned out.

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Wait, is that Gran Turismo 5? :lol :lol :lol

That can't be it. It cannot look that bad.

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah... what about the impossible lack of aliasing?

Chalked it up to usual PR videos with impossible AA. Didn't take his word for meaning it'll look exactly the same. Just the modeling.

And about the GTHD comment I made, it was sarcasm about how Che said that car looked so good because it was one car, turned out it could look that good with 16 :lol

I think we need more prologue pictures of how good the cars are in GT. The gameplay shots where the person turns around near a camera view that's close to the car. People are looking at that SD car and track thinking that's the best of GT5 when it's pretty much GT4HD.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Chalked it up to usual PR videos with impossible AA. Didn't take his word for meaning it'll look exactly the same. Just the modeling.

Oh. I totally believe the modeling. That car didn't appear out of thin air afterall, render or not. Just don't believe you'll see the full detail on the game, you don't even see the full detail on GT5. Also don't expect all cars to be modeled as the same detail. In that regard GT5 is much more consistent when it comes to modeling. Standard cars aside ofc.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Unfortunately, it's a pretty inconsistent looking game that ships with a brilliant bullshot generator (photo travel).

FuturusX

Maybe off topic...but one thing that annoys me about Forza is the asinine steering wheel support. G25 and G27 are great wheels that can be used on PS3 and PC but not in Forza on the xbox. That's a damaging comparison that can't be denied.

chespace said:
Unfortunately, it's a pretty inconsistent looking game that ships with a brilliant bullshot generator (photo travel).

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Have you... actually played GT5:p? Because GT5 only looks better than that.

chespace
(Today, 09:08 PM)
Reply | Quote

5 more times for emphasis

chespace

PetriP-TNT said:
chespace
(Today, 09:08 PM)
Reply | Quote

5 more times for emphasis

Are you lost?

MrPliskin

Banned
chespace said:

I picture you making these posts in a small office drowning in troll dolls.

At least you're doing your best to "prove" that you weren't just trolling GT because you were being fed by Turn10...even though we clearly know at this point you're just keeping up appearances :lol

Ploid 3.0

So this is the real Che? I thought him leaving Turn10 would free him of acting like that, but I guess he made a lot of friends at T10, and he has a lot of personal ties to the forza brand so it's not that easy for him to let go. Like a Clippers fan.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chespace said:
At least the models used in photo mode seem representative of what the game renders during gameplay and replays. In Forza 3, the models shown in shots taken by photo mode appear significantly more detailed than they do in replays and gameplay. Is this not the case? Plenty of photo evidence suggests that.

I still think Forza 3 looks pretty nice, though, and is probably more consistent than GT5 (which can look both substantially better and worse depending on the situation).

CozMick

Banned
chespace said:

Dude, I would fucking love you by now if it wasn't for the RDR banning that took place months and months back. :D

Lagspike_exe said:

Have you... actually played GT5:p? Because GT5 only looks better than that.

Tried the demo only. I hate Forza and Gran Tursimo. Racing sims aren't my thing, but these threads are pretty entertaining.

The GT5P Demo I played looked pretty nice. Hence why I said that screen CAN'T be representative of what the game looks like. That screen looks like more like Gran Turismo 4 (which I own).

CozMick said:
I really do hope you're not bullshitting us because quite frankly it would be a day 0 purchase.

But c'moooooooooooon! duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

True story #1:

I was walking home with my new copy of GT5 when vampires jumped me. Thinking fast, I showed them my copy of GT5 and they all spontaneously combusted!

True story #2:

I was playing Civ V on diety with the max number of opponents possible. I was getting stomped into dust when I put in my copy of GT5 into the disc tray on a whim and I instantly won via conquest! Amazing!

True story #3:

My brother was playing Kinect sports when I walked by with the empty case of GT5. The kinect detected it and that caused my Xbox to self destruct. Keep in mind that my copy of the game wasn't even in the box. Now my Xbox is a smoldering heap of twisted electronic parts. THANK YOU GT5.

dark10x said:
It's not the capture quality that I have a problem with. It's simply some of the art assets I'm seeing on screen are of very poor quality. Some of the foliage work, for instance, is far beyond where they should be.

For instance, look at the line of trees above the bridge. The quality of the texture work there is pretty bad. There have been a lot of details like this creeping up in screen shots. I'm just surprised at how it turned out.

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Oh man, this is getting confusing, I looked at that and was all like "hey, that's an impressive crap-shot of F3".

Lets not forget that GT5 uses Temporal AA now if you want. That can't be represented properly in screenshots. Can't wait for my copy to arrive to check that out.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Tried the demo only. I hate Forza and Gran Tursimo. Racing sims aren't my thing, but these threads are pretty entertaining.

The GT5P Demo I played looked pretty nice. Hence why I said that screen CAN'T be representative of what the game looks like. That screen looks like more like Gran Turismo 4 (which I own).

It doesn't. GT5:p looks amazing in motion. GT5 is going to look even better.

dark10x said:
What the hell is going on with GT5? There is an enormous disparity between shots. Not even talking about photo mode here. Some of the capture gameplay shots I've seen look fantastic while others look barely on par with Forza 2 (sometimes worse).

What the hell has Polyphony been doing?

Play the game for yourself and judge then.

Wazzim

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
So this is the real Che? I thought him leaving Turn10 would free him of acting like that, but I guess he made a lot of friends at T10, and he has a lot of personal ties to the forza brand so it's not that easy for him to let go. Like a Clippers fan.
He may also be proud on the stuff he and the team at T10 have done with Forza.

Look the thing with Forza is that it holds up some nice stuff (no screen tear, constant 60FPS, actual good shadows) that nobody really appreciates outside of the serious racer. GT5 has screen tear, terrible shadows and isn't locked at 60FPS but people still put up with it.

Ploid 3.0 said:
It probably (most likely) looks exactly like that, but you're zooming by and can't really tell. If this wasn't a racing game but a slow paced mystery search for clues game it would be easy to notice.

Good point, although that is true of all racing games, but it never stopped people from obsessing over still shots.

Metalmurphy said:
Actually, we saw it. It looked nothing like the "artwork" shots you tried to pass off as real time. And every time an action was made it just switched to a pre-rendered video.

Those screenshots were bullshots, of course, but nothing in those demonstrations was prerendered. In one of (GameSpot's?) videos the journalist trying out the demo changed the car's color to yellow and it was reflected in those close-up animations as well.

-viper-

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Have you played GT5P? GT5 looks on par with Prologue, if not, better.

BTW I don't understand that Trial Mountain shot. I just finished a race with a Honda S2000 and it looks great.

But hey, don't take my word for it.

Take the word of those who haven't played the game. Their opinions are clearly more valuable.

CozMick

Banned
But when you consider higher poly cars on track (premium), double the amount of cars on track, weather, day/night cycles, better damage and to still look better visually, that's quite some feat.

I'm still dumbfounded by that screen of GT5.

It simply CANNOT look that bad at any stage. I refuse to believe it. Do we have some sort of proof that that isn't an upscaled Gran Turismo 2 shot?

-viper-

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

It simply CANNOT look that bad at any stage. I refuse to believe it. Do we have some sort of proof that that isn't an upscaled Gran Turismo 2 shot?
do you want me to take an off-screen shot of what I see when I pause that that moment?

Wazzim said:
He may also be proud on the stuff he and the team at T10 have done with Forza.

Look the thing with Forza is that it holds up some nice stuff (no screen tear, constant 60FPS, actual good shadows) that nobody really appreciates outside of the serious racer. GT5 has screen tear, terrible shadows and isn't locked at 60FPS but people still put up with it.

We're judging the whole product mostly here. GT5 destroys FM3 in graphics department. Of course people appreciate locked 60 FPS, no screen tear etc. It's just that other factors when weighed in GT5 and FM3 absolutely outclass differences in areas where FM3 has the lead.

tfur

Ploid 3.0 said:

game journalists...

Ashes

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Here's what might have happened, but in the complete opposite direction:
rocksteady1983 said:
Here is a little hdr edit I did on a shot. I'd much rather be editing my own shots :(

5198882281_63d72c3ae5_b.jpg

I'm kidding. I find it hard to believe that anybody is going to stoop that low

CozMick

Banned
Doc Evils said:
You forgot to mention Forza 3 loads a HIGHER LOD cars for the replays.

GT5 only uses one car model

And dynamic weather, day/night cycles and double the amount of cars on track.

C'mon guys why is this still a debate?

GT5 wins :D

durden

"Books made me do it"
Seeing as this thread is already a trainwreck of epic proportions and my question won't make it any worse, can someone tell me if GT5 is modeling tyre roll/physics like Forza3 did? I'm just curious.

Personally I just can't wait until we get consoles that can render these bullshots in real time gameplay, some of the photomode images look soooo good!

Ashes

Banned
durden said:
Seeing as this thread is already a trainwreck of epic proportions and my question won't make it any worse, can someone tell me if GT5 is modeling tyre roll/physics like Forza3 did? I'm just curious.

Personally I just can't wait until we get consoles that can render these bullshots in real time gameplay, some of the photomode images look soooo good!

You've seen the gt4 photomode shots? gt5 has those high end cars and they look 'ugly' apparently. So expect similiar comments, on gt6/7 on ps4.

distrbnce

Banned
-viper- said:
do you want me to take an off-screen shot of what I see when I pause that that moment?

Yes, I think we all want to know if that low LOD is because he was travelling at 140+ when he took the screenshot.

-viper-

Banned
distrbnce said:
Yes, I think we all want to know if that low LOD is because he was travelling at 140+ when he took the screenshot.
i'll do it after Braga v Arsenal, if someone already hasn't beaten me.

It's not at all a surprise if there are low-res textures or blocky geometry. Game is aiming to run at x1080p and 60FPS with 16 cars on the track. Besides, who the fuck is going to pause the game in the middle of playing it and start examining imperfections on the screen? :lol

Chrange

Banned
Doc Evils said:
You forgot to mention Forza 3 loads a HIGHER LOD cars for the replays.

GT5 only uses one car model
I'm pretty sure GT5 uses a higher LOD model for the photomode. Hell, it has entirely separate environments just for photo mode :p

Top Bottom