• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Ploid 3.0

-viper- said:
Don't know what is up with those Gran Turismo 5 captures, but on my Panasonic plasma, it looks like the best looking racing game ever.

I expected the game to look like shit based on the above captures, but it's fucking fantastic in motion.

I've just went through Trial Mountain with the Gallardo and couldn't be more impressed.

I was going to mention the COD4 60fps effect but was scared of making excuses and fanboy names. I'm going to play the crap out of those standard cars!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, shouldn't you, of all people, understand that bad captures and good captures are common with ALL games?
It's not the capture quality that I have a problem with. It's simply some of the art assets I'm seeing on screen are of very poor quality. Some of the foliage work, for instance, is far beyond where they should be.

For instance, look at the line of trees above the bridge. The quality of the texture work there is pretty bad. There have been a lot of details like this creeping up in screen shots. I'm just surprised at how it turned out.

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Graphics Horse said:
I assure you I did, it might have been on GTPlanet rather than here. But if you like telling people what they did or did not see, more power to you.

Probably before people understood what was going on, or just saw screen shots. It looks like a compression thing, but it's realtime (the smoke effect overlapping cars).

commedieu

Banned
watership said:
GT5, serious business.

Its amazingly easy to write stuff off when its true & you have nothing to say but "LOL @ the guy on the internet." unfortunately you, like i, have an account on a gaming forum. We ain't exactly the coolest folks in the world here.

I won't even check your post history, but I'm sure you have more than 10. Don't try to call someone out for having something to say.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Probably before people understood what was going on, or just saw screen shots. It looks like a compression thing, but it's realtime (the smoke effect overlapping cars).

Exactly, I'm just saying that complaining about compressed images is getting a bit tiresome, as people rarely seem to know what the hell they are talking about.

-viper-

Banned
dark10x said:
It's not the capture quality that I have a problem with. It's simply some of the art assets I'm seeing on screen are of very poor quality. Some of the foliage work, for instance, is far beyond where they should be.

For instance, look at the line of trees above the bridge. The quality of the texture work there is pretty bad. There have been a lot of details like this creeping up in screen shots. I'm just surprised at how it turned out.

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg
Texture loading issues perhaps? That shot looks bad. I'm going to drive on that section of that track when I play GT5 again to see if it looks like that.

MrPliskin

Banned
dark10x said:

Well, I would assume, given that there is slowdown in some areas, etc, that the largest reasons for some levels just looking worse than others boils down to resources and time.

I mean, PD is what, 140 people? I'd say we can safely assume a good number of those people were working on things like the Physics model, sound, then side projects like GT5: Prologue, GT: PSP, GT: HD, GT: Time Trial. I'd assume most of the art team was working on new tracks and the new premium cars.

Honestly, I think it would have been in Polyphony's best interest to outsource some of the art resources for their tracks, i.e. textures, etc. These things can be done on a budget for resources, and integrated into the final product. I think it's just a matter of the Studio having been a certain size for so long and having a very structured culture that they're just not very open to "change".

That said, it honestly doesn't bother me, but I've never had a "critical eye" for this kind of stuff. I've played through loads of games and never once been bothered by stuff that doesn't "look good". If it's fun, it's fun.

Oh dear. Let me correct myself: GT5 looks amazing some of the time. It's such a shame, they obviously have the ability to make the game look great, but given the development time this inconsistency just reeks of sloppiness.

-viper-

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Oh dear. Let me correct myself: GT5 looks amazing some of the time. It's such a shame, they obviously have the ability to make the game look great, but given the development time this inconsistency just reeks of sloppiness.
Based on what, poor quality captures?

Perhaps you should try out the game first.

commedieu

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Why would he? He's got a Kinect now.

:lol :lol

He is them.

Direct feed screenshots suck for all games. You're never going to see it that way on your tv...else no one would play games on consoles. How about best non photoshopped screenshots & Direct feed video vs?

Ashes

Banned
oh finally found the gif.

Hanmik said:
haha how do you know if a game is hot or not..?

you go to the nr. 1 troll-site in the world...

bfffi0.jpg

ka314p.jpg

when they have a seperate TAB for GT5 news (ps3,xb360,wii,pc,psp,ds GT5)

:lol :lol

Trickster

-viper- said:
Based on what, poor quality captures?

Perhaps you should try out the game first.

Doesnt that go both ways though? Or is it only ok to say the game looks great without having played it (like 99% of the fans on gaf)?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Metalmurphy said:
Fact: 400 average looking cars.
Fact: 200 cars that look better then anything else.
Fact: You're not excited as the next guy about GT5.

More facts. :D

Two of your facts are subjective and arguable. I would say the 400 premium car models in Forza 3 are quite comparable to the premium cars in GT5. Where GT5 has Forza 3 beat is in the lighting dept. As you saw from their E3 2010 demo, that is quickly about to change.

One of your facts is wrong. I am pretty damn bouncing off the walls about GT5. Why else would I order the signature edition?

Lastly, none of your facts address my original fact. 800 ugly cars. Son, I am so disappoint.

BTW, looks like Jeuxvideo.com wasn't so happy with GT5. :( 14/20

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00013884-gran-turismo-5-test.htm

Ploid 3.0

-viper- said:
Texture loading issues perhaps? That shot looks bad. I'm going to drive on that section of that track when I play GT5 again to see if it looks like that.

It probably (most likely) looks exactly like that, but you're zooming by and can't really tell. If this wasn't a racing game but a slow paced mystery search for clues game it would be easy to notice.

watership

commedieu said:
Its amazingly easy to write stuff off when its true & you have nothing to say but "LOL @ the guy on the internet." unfortunately you, like i, have an account on a gaming forum. We ain't exactly the coolest folks in the world here.

I won't even check your post history, but I'm sure you have more than 10. Don't try to call someone out for having something to say.

Fair enough. I really just think some people are getting too serious about GT5/forza3 defense. This thread has never been about rational discussion, but of LOL forza or LOL gt.

Xun

chespace said:

Two of your facts are subjective and arguable. I would say the 400 premium car models in Forza 3 are quite comparable to the premium cars in GT5. Where GT5 has Forza 3 beat is in the lighting dept. As you saw from their E3 2010 demo, that is quickly about to change.

One of your facts is wrong. I am pretty damn bouncing off the walls about GT5. Why else would I order the signature edition?

Lastly, none of your facts address my original fact. 800 ugly cars. Son, I am so disappoint.

Patch? :eek:

commedieu

Banned
chespace said:

Yes, it scored lower than prologue by the same reviewer. & LoL at Forza3's premium cars that you never see in game.

jiggles

Banned
Does the speed you're moving at have anything to do with the visual fidelity or texture resolution. The poorest shots for either game seem to be direct screen grabs at 80+ mph.

Ashes

Banned
chespace said:

they just spitting the truth braa. Forza 3>>>>GT5:prologue>>>GT5

chespace said:

Two of your facts are subjective and arguable. I would say the 400 premium car models in Forza 3 are quite comparable to the premium cars in GT5.
In the menus and photomode. Almost. Still not there though. And the quality of the models is all over the place throughout the 400 cars. And too bad that during gameplay that difference becomes WAY bigger. I would say 400 "premium" during gameplay are VERY average looking.

chespace said:
Where GT5 has Forza 3 beat is in the lighting dept. As you saw from their E3 2010 demo, that is quickly about to change.
You mean the pre-rendered CG? Why would anyone care about that?

chespace said:
To "justify" your trolling. :lol

chespace said:
No you're not. You're giddy as a schoolgirl.

chespace said:

Yeah, I just posted that here.

chespace

I don't blame you guys obviously since you weren't at E3 to see the real-time demo of the Ferrari 458 and the new graphics engine. Oh well. :lol

(lots of these :lol in this thread)

chespace said:
I don't blame you guys obviously since you weren't at E3 to see the real-time demo of the Ferrari 458 and the new graphics engine. Oh well. :lol

(lots of these :lol in this thread)

Actually, we saw it. It looked nothing like the "artwork" shots you tried to pass off as real time. And every time an action was made it just switched to a pre-rendered video.

Iknos

Fallout-NL said:
You guys ever get around to discussing physics and the actual driving?

Both games have to be out for that to happen but I did do a comparison between the TT and FM3...both were very comparable and at the same tire temperature felt nearly exactly the same using the same wheel.

I did prefer the chassis weight transfer in GT:TT while the tire model still felt better in Forza 3 but to be fair the TT wasn't in a full tire wear/heat simulation mode because it was a hotlap mode.

That said while both games felt identical when driving...when you purposefully took the car to the edge and literally throw the car around the TT felt more realistic and also looked much more realistic in the replays. Not like it isn't present in Forza you can still properly feign drift and see all the load transfer in the telemetry but it sure as hell doesn't show on the models in the game.

But that could be discussed further in the Forza 3 thread. The only racing sim thread that allows for critical analysis it seems. :lol

eso76 said:
The good thing for T10 is they have a very decent library of premium and semi-premium models at this point (but for the love of God, fix that F40 and those Supras) which they will be able to use ingame eventually, so they can concentrate on shaders, weather effects, tracks and furter improving physics (rolling needs work for example)

T10 and PD could learn from each other. T10 did a great job of getting 400 cars fully modeled with interiors and PD did a great job of replicating things to excruciating detail.

The best balance is to do what T10 did in outsourcing the modeling and then sending it to some quality control guys back at the dev who would scrutinize and fix things as PD has.

Shaneus said:
And the Impreza 22B. Ugh, worst model I've seen in a "sim" in ages.

I actually believe some PC games unofficially use the highest-LOD models from Forza 3 to import into whatever format it can be used in. I think I:Racing may have some in there? Either way, it's a testament to the quality of their models.

rFactor

eso76 said:
it was the other guy who leaked tons of stuff before release who said that, but i'm skeptical. I mean, yeah, that was probably their goal, but i don't think it was scrapped due to time constraints or rather, i don't think time was the only issue.

I think it was. The game was rushed to meet launch and while the game does appear to be very polished it is because they cut features rather than half ass a particular feature. Still people will agree that Drag and Online features weren't as robust as they should have been.

Hint for T10: more reference photos, possibly matching the lighting conditions of the skydome you're going to use :p

There are a lot of techniques that can be used and it seems like T10's artists haven't adopted any of them. iRacing is finally adopting some...their newer tracks should look very photoreal.

Metalmurphy said:
Also, how hard is it for you people to accept that the game has 200 cars, with 800 GT4 cars as bonuses.

I can accept it. Would rather have this than 200 premium cars and nothing else.

But Sony's marketing dept is harping on 1000 cars on every ad for the game. Got some email from Sony going off on 1000 cars. They mention it in the Kevin Butler ad don't they? Some people are going to end up disappointed...and it's not like they weren't mislead.

Red Blaster said:
Unlike PolyPHONY Digital, Turn 10 truly blurs the line between standard and premium.

3953595837_32ded35c86_o.png

You are right that car is low detail but that wasn't the best pic to post it demostrates there are still things in that shot that Forza does better than GT.

The reflection on the hood is realtime and reflects other vehicles and sparks and every detail seen in front of you. GT5 doesn't do that.

The mirror is completely realtime modeling of what is seen on track. GT5 uses a low poly approximation which misses details like painted lines and trees and track detail...plus the cars look like boxes.

Across the board there seems to be more detail in the tracks. Nevermind the draw distance and the far detail and size of the track...which is 14 km total I believe. It's the road surface that is nuanced. If you haven't played it its a lot like Eiger in Prologue. Roughly paved roads with sharp shoulders and some great jumps. The apexes of the corners look more round than in GT as well. The guardrail and brick wall are very organic in that Forza track.

Grass is 3D here...2D in GT. GT takes a lot of shortcuts and they can because the colors look more photorealistic anyways.

commedieu said:
Both games are decent.

Wrong...both games are excellent.

But Its safe to say that F3 just isn't in the same league.

I never figured you as one of the fanboys...

CozMick

Banned
All I saw at E3 was a PGR style "take over as many cars as you can" mini game controlled without a steering wheel and a CG trailer

Xun

Trickster said:
Forza Kinect or whatever they call it. Personally I think it'll suck unless it's basically forza 4 with kinect support.
Oh right, so it was meant to be Forza 4 then.

I always assumed it was an update for Forza 3 due to the F3 logo being shown.

chespace

Metalmurphy said:
Actually, we saw it. It looked nothing like the "artwork" shots you tried to pass off as real time. And every time an action was made it just switched to a pre-rendered video.

Haha, that's really how good it looks, and hence why you think it was prerendered. Accomplished.

commedieu

Banned
Pepto said:
What do you think your tv shows if not direct feed from the console?

You don't see it in the same way when you're sitting on your couch do you? We are looking at 720p shots on 1900x monitors.. or more.. Take that shot over a tv/monitor/lcd/plasma and some things are hidden. Which is the same with all gaming. I shouldn't have to explain this.. but if your tv shows a perfect representation of direct feed screenshots seen on high res monitors, ok.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Just let out friend, let it out.

We all understand you have had a hard time defending Kinect the past few weeks, it's ok you can cry you've had a lot to cope with.

commedieu

Banned
chespace said:
Haha, that's really how good it looks, and hence why you think it was prerendered. Accomplished.

Yes, all of the 360's rendering capabilities can only be seen in videos & heard about in some future title. but for some reason, never purchased in a retail product... Especially one from Turn10. Just you wait guys... Just you wait.. Turn10 is going to do what no dev has done in the past 5 years.

Paracelsus

Not even with no element outside of the asphalt and one car on the track running at 30fps either of the consoles would be capable to output a similar level of detail with such sharpness.

Top Bottom