• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

evolution

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why are you denying all those other aspects of the racing experience in the game? Ease of access to tuning setups and quality tuners directly impacts my racing experience, as does multiplayer, which I will do more of since there's a Halo-type hopper set up, adding to more variety and more opportunity to race at my skill level, the career mode is improved, which directly impacts how I will experience different cars and challenges.

All of this contributes to the racing experience. Those are huge evolutions in that experience.
Im not denying them...but no matter how streamlined getting into a race is the dynamics of the race won't change very much. I think many other games have much more depth and variety. Drifting on kaido at night would be a completely different experience than during the day and Forza 3 doesn't offer this type of variety. That type of advancement should be standard now, yet there not because the major racing studios have their priorities mixed up.

Looked at the GT5 vid that Blim just put up. Still no tire marks being left and the tire smoke has no volume. The enviornment still need a lot of work. Cars looks good as usual.

The bigger issue was the camera position. If that's a hood cam, why does it feel like I"m sitting on a lifted truck getting close to running over the cars infront of me? The cars I'm coming upto should be blocking me view if my eyes are at the same level as the hood. This seems to be more of a roof view, which is fine, as long as it's advertised as such.

jett

D-Member
F3's campaign mode sounds interesting, but still completely disconnected from the reality of being a driver or in a racing team, just like GT. Blah. :|

evolution said:
Im not denying them...but no matter how streamlined getting into a race is the dynamics of the race won't change very much. I think many other games have much more depth and variety. Drifting on kaido at night would be a completely different experience than during the day and Forza 3 doesn't offer this type of variety. That type of advancement should be standard now, yet there not because the major racing studios have their priorities mixed up.

We probably just have different priorities/preferences. All that other stuff that you might not care about as much directly contributes to my experience of the dynamics of the race, i.e. me playing the game.

dejay

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
Not having GT out this holiday sucks for Sony but the way I look at it, it just gives me more time to cuddle up with forza 3 this winter.

Yeah, sexy time with FM3, PD get some more time to polish their polish and then it's sexy time with GT5. It's a win/win situation for people with two consoles. From a selfish point of view it also gives me time to get a proper cross platform wheel and retire my MS wheel.

Ultimo hombre said:
Looked at the GT5 vid that Blim just put up. Still no tire marks being left and the tire smoke has no volume. The enviornment still need a lot of work. Cars looks good as usual.

The bigger issue was the camera position. If that's a hood cam, why does it feel like I"m sitting on a lifted truck getting close to running over the cars infront of me? The cars I'm coming upto should be blocking me view if my eyes are at the same level as the hood. This seems to be more of a roof view, which is fine, as long as it's advertised as such.

I never really fond of GT5P hood cam and I agree with you that it's more like roof cam. However, looking at that awesome vid from Blim, I think the hood has improve a bit. You no longer feel like you are looking down from top of the roof of your car. I race mostly in hood cam mode so in GT5P I ended up only driving in the good old bumper cam.

Rad Agast

jett said:
F3's campaign mode sounds interesting, but still completely disconnected from the reality of being a driver or in a racing team, just like GT. Blah. :|

Have you tried Shift? I haven't tried it yet since I can't find it around here (haven't checked reviews either) but wouldn't that one have a story type mode since it's a Need For Speed game?

evolution

BenjaminBirdie said:
We probably just have different priorities/preferences. All that other stuff that you might not care about as much directly contributes to my experience of the dynamics of the race, i.e. me playing the game.
Well i can live with that. Just stating my opinion on the matter :D . Im getting the game just like you. I think its great that we can enjoy the same game for different reasons

Dina

jett said:

The last Toca had that, or at least a bit. You drove for various teams with other AI drivers.

Chrange

Banned
Rad Agast said:
Have you tried Shift? I haven't tried it yet since I can't find it around here (haven't checked reviews either) but wouldn't that one have a story type mode since it's a Need For Speed game?

There's no story there - just beat races to earn stars and unlock new races.

evolution said:
Well i can live with that. Just stating my opinion on the matter :D . Im getting the game just like you. I think its great that we can enjoy the same game for different reasons

Totally! As in most skill based games (FPS, racing, etc), I am very scrub level so I come at it from a very different perspective.

KHarvey16

Rad Agast said:

Nope, no story. Just a sort of tier based system with car, track and gameplay type progression.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
imtehman said:
Which wheel would you suggest getting that is compatible with ps3/360
There's only one option for that - Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S.

duk said:
fm18.jpg

Bah, those aren't even widescreen monitors. ;)

Rad Agast

evolution said:

I think that was one of the aims for Turn 10. You'll have people spending hours just creating liveries or tuning cars and selling them on the marketplace while others making videos/taking photos and sharing them, you'll have your regular casual racers some of which might suck and crash your car in mp and then you'll have the hardcore racers taking things too seriously. They're all playing the same game but doing different things because of their interests.

Forza 2 had an interesting online career event but the timing was kinda crappy for international players (I remember having to do some 2-3am races at the start then giving up on the feature shortly after). I hope they can come up with better scheduling system this time around.

I thought this was a comparison thread, not one for blatant trolling and disregard of new information? I think this thread is a good idea and would like to see some reasonable discussions regarding the two titles. But from the last twenty pages it seems that this is more about people invested in Forza rubbing it in due to GT5's delay.

?

Rad Agast

Chrange said:
There's no story there - just beat races to earn stars and unlock new races.

KHarvey16 said:
Nope, no story. Just a sort of tier based system with car, track and gameplay type progression.

Aha, it's my fault for not following that one much lately. I'm still getting it though.

szaromir said:
Seriously, why were people so delusional to believe GT5 would hit this year?

November 30, 2008 – Sony executive in Europe mentions GT5 will “arrive at Christmas” during an interview with a financial magazine.

June 4, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states: “We can release Gran Turismo 5 whenever we want.” during E3 interview.

August 2, 2009 – GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was well within 2009).

August 22, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states that “GT5 will be released shortly after this date [October 1st]” during an interview.

August 23, 2009 – Printed material distributed by Sony at the GamesCom 2009 conference clearly indicate the game will be released during the fourth quarter of 2009.

http://www.gtplanet.net/

Rad Agast

CrushDance said:
I thought this was a comparison thread, not one for blatant trolling and disregard of new information? I think this thread is a good idea and would like to see some reasonable discussions regarding the two titles. But from the last twenty pages it seems that this is more about people invested in Forza rubbing it in due to GT5's delay.

?

We're discussing stuff right now aren't we? I think this last page was alright, don't you? Just relax and enjoy what's available right now/soon if you ask me. Sitting on the fence waiting for something that's not coming for a good number of months is not the best option in my opinion.

XiaNaphryz said:
Sorry, I meant are those 16:10 as opposed to 16:9? If you're going to go that wide, go EXTRA wide! ;P

...I've been up too late. :lol

They are 16:9, if they were 16:10 the game would have black bars at the top and the bottom to maintain correct aspect ratio.

XiaNaphryz

imtehman said:
$479 am cry
The cheapest version is $200, though you need to pay extra for pedals, shifters and the PS3/PC dongles (each are $50, though the awesome uber-pedals are $200), so it's closer to $350 than $200. If you already have a G25 or 360 wheel those pedals will also work with the wheel, though the 360 wheel doesn't have a clutch pedal.

bloodforge said:
They are 16:9, if they were 16:10 the game would have black bars at the top and the bottom to maintain correct aspect ratio.
Yes, I see my error now. :lol

Need more sleep.

imtehman

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The cheapest version is $200, though you need to pay extra for pedals, shifters and the PS3/PC dongles (each are $50, though the awesome uber-pedals are $200), so it's closer to $350 than $200. If you already have a G25 or 360 wheel those pedals will also work with the wheel, though the 360 wheel doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Yes, I see my error now. :lol

Need more sleep.

yea i'm not even looking at the 200 dollar one, i need the shifter and petals.

Sad thing is: Next shipping date: November 2009

Damn this sucks

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can really play Forza on like 6 screens?
What the hell?

Chrange said:
The most I've ever used is three. I wonder if you can set them up behind you. Three in front, three behind.

Wouldn't really be a point to putting 3 behind you, unless you're going to use a real mirror as a rear view mirror.

jett said:
I dunno about the reality of that role, but I want a Forza/GT-like to have something structured like the Genesis/MD version of Super Monaco GP where you had to work your way up the rankings with other racing teams and even your own teammates in races...gaining opportunities to move to other, better financed and equipped teams while having it out on and off the track with rivals. What I really loved about it was that you could also be kicked off of your team for poor performance streaks and prey that your track record could get you picked up by a lower-ranking team before the game over countdown hit zero. I just like the idea and, even if very superficial as it is those old games, it was compelling enough to get me to focus on being better at the actual racing because of that drama built-in there. Any current gen racing titles have what I'm talking about?

Chrange

Banned
bloodforge said:
Wouldn't really be a point to putting 3 behind you, unless you're going to use a real mirror as a rear view mirror.

Shoulder check! Plus the sound comes from the speakers relative to the position they're put in - so you'd get positional surround sound from them as well.

XiaNaphryz

Chrange said:
Shoulder check! Plus the sound comes from the speakers relative to the position they're put in - so you'd get positional surround sound from them as well.
Wouldn't that interfere with the surround speakers already coming from that area if you've already got that setup? Or is that in place of those speakers?

Chrange

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Wouldn't that interfere with the surround speakers already coming from that area if you've already got that setup? Or is that in place of those speakers?

If I did six screens I'd probably go with six 32" sets. I think that would give me decent sound. I have a nice 7.1 system, but I would be setting this up somewhere other people could play...and I don't want that many in my home.

compared to gt5 the lighting and reflections in forza are terrible. i mean is it really that hard? why bother modelling the cars if they are gonna look like little tyke cars when they are lit anyway? wtf. those gt5 shots look damn real where as forza always looks like some 1995 sgi demo.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would just like to say, hah screw you Shures for calling me out in a thread ages ago when I said there is no way GT5 is coming out this year, and trying to make me look a complete fool. Who is the idiot now. :D

;)

Top Bottom