• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

WasteLand Soldier said:
compared to gt5 the lighting and reflections in forza are terrible. i mean is it really that hard? why bother modelling the cars if they are gonna look like little tyke cars when they are lit anyway? wtf. those gt5 shots look damn real where as forza always looks like some 1995 sgi demo.
Lets not do this please. There's many better ways to construct your argument without spitting out one sentence and making such statements. Although I agree that GT has much better lighting from everything I've seen.

Edit: You edited...?

AZ Greg

gran-turismo-5-20090924002025627.jpg

fm10.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chrange said:
If I did six screens I'd probably go with six 32" sets. I think that would give me decent sound. I have a nice 7.1 system, but I would be setting this up somewhere other people could play...and I don't want that many in my home.
I just figured if you were going to set something like this up, you'd probably do it with a dedicating racing cockpit setup with its own surround setup.

AZ Greg said:
*Screens*
See that's the thing, the Forza shot by all definition looks good and does everything right. But it has this softness to the overall image that in my eyes makes it look to smooth. The models are on par(Although I can see some more things in the GT5 shot, probably due to the angle) yet GT5 has this sharp metallic look to it and the colours pop out a lot more, whereas Forza still has that weird effect going on and everything kind of looks the same in regards to lighting all around.

Edit: Now I know what it reminds me of. It's like those PS3 vs 360 comparisons where PS3 games almost always look "worse" due to the anti aliasing method used(Forgot what it's called). That same softness is present here as well.

Slayer-33 said:
^crushdance
FM3
3819022823_940310a3af_o.jpg

RL
_MG_5477.jpg

Not all shots look badly lit
Yeah those look fine, if not a bit on the bright side. Seems that most of the differences at this point come down(Clouds being one of them). I think the darker lighting of GT makes it stand out more, like in the screens you posted if you look at the wheels and then at the wheels in the GT shot, it's much darker with GT. Great strides nonetheless on both accounts.

eso76

WasteLand Soldier said:
compared to gt5 the lighting and reflections in forza are terrible. i mean is it really that hard?

Not up there with GT5, and it really does change a lot between different tracks, whereas GT5 seems to nail lighting in all lighting condition. But terrible ?

FM3_SuperGT_1.jpg

FM3_Datsun510_4.jpg

FM3_BMW_X5_2.jpg

FM3_BMW_M5_1.jpg

FM3_Toyota_Yaris_2.jpg

Oh, and yes, as someone who works with 3d renders everyday it IS hard. To this day people still share tricks and secrets to achieve a perfect car paint look in 3d studio, maya and lightwave.
It's hard to achieve GT5 level of realism even in pieces of CG that take hours to render, let alone in real time.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
fm10.jpg

2mopdgj.jpg

2u79idl.jpg

adjusted shot a bit lol the car is looking heavier and more metallic/more GT'ish

can almost pass off as a rl pic lol.. (- the kicked up dust)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
eso76 said:
seems like the demo is up.
Goodbye, thread !

I'm dam tempted but tbh I really don't want to download the demo as I',ve only recently just started playing through Forza 2 for the first time and I don't won't the demo to tarnish that experience.

lowrider007 said:
I'm dam tempted but tbh I really don't want to download the demo as I',ve only recently just started playing through Forza 2 for the first time and I don't won't the demo to tarnish that experience.

Forget graphically, you'll never go back because of the improvements in handling. It felt like an entirely new game to me.

eso76 said:
Not up there with GT5, and it really does change a lot between different tracks, whereas GT5 seems to nail lighting in all lighting condition. But terrible ?

FM3_Datsun510_4.jpg

No, they don't look terrible, it just depends on the car. Some cars, like the one Slayer-33
posted look fine because the livery covers up all the flat single-colored areas, which are the
worst-looking parts in Forza cars.

Some cars, like that datsun I quoted just look atrocious.

The parts of all the cars that seem to be weak links are the tires, the grey plastic bits that a
lot of cars have, and the interior of every car I've seen so far.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Can NOT believe I just spent all that time reading through this thread. Few high points were the bish wolf img, and the redbeard story. I think I need a shower after this.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Label said:
I would just like to say, hah screw you Shures for calling me out in a thread ages ago when I said there is no way GT5 is coming out this year, and trying to make me look a complete fool. Who is the idiot now. :D

;)

I could name at least a dozen posters that swore on their mothers that GT5 would come out this year. It sucks.

Actually, now that I think about it Che was very confident it wouldn't come out this year.

Jostifer said:
1080p native vs 720p native
1000cars vs 400cars
Polyphony modeling standard (future proofed) vs lower T10 modeling standard
16cars on track vs 8cars
Godly Polyphony lightning engine
WRC & Nascar licenses
Rally racing
G25/27 wheel support
Head tracking

1080p native vs 720p native: Forza looks damn smooth and polished in 720p, GT not quite as in 1080p judging from the Gamescom videos.

1000cars vs 400cars: 400 cars is quite substantial. Keep the Suzuki Alto, I want the supercars.

Polyphony modeling standard (future proofed) vs lower T10 modeling standard: correct.

16cars on track vs 8cars: correct

Godly Polyphony lightning engine: correct, although shadow edges could be smoother.

WRC & Nascar licenses: correct.

Rally racing: see above.

G25/27 wheel support: major plus for GT. What are T10 thinking? moving the racing genre forward my ass.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Omotesando said:
Turn10 has Microsoft felation everywhere in their own game.

Yes, well their paychecks are signed by MS. What I mean is that the G25 cannot interface with the 360.

Well, I'm not terribly bummed out about the GT5 release date, I'll satisfy my sim racing needs with Forza 3. What is fucking annoying, however, is that feature list. Really hope that they announce some other stuff in the near future because the features they announced are not good enough for a game that's spent so much time in development.

You know I kind of feel bad for GT5 fans. Forza 3 demo just came out and the release date is set in stone, while GT5 might as well still be a glint in Kaz's eye.

A big part of the fun is to actually play your chosen messiah game and compare it to vids of the big bad competitor.

Graphics wise, GT will always win over Forza (Polyphony are tech gods and work on the game for years...) GT is aiming for a very realistic look, while Forza is still more "gamey" (I'm sure people are sick of this, but that's the way I see it)

Gameplay wise, GT5 has a lot to prove though. Didn't feel GT5P, everything was too dry and sterile. We will see how that turns out in the end. Definitely picking up both games!

schennmu said:
Graphics wise, GT will always win over Forza (Polyphony are tech gods and work on the game for years...) GT is aiming for a very realistic look, while Forza is still more "gamey" (I'm sure people are sick of this, but that's the way I see it)

Gameplay wise, GT5 has a lot to prove though. Didn't feel GT5P, everything was too dry and sterile. We will see how that turns out in the end. Definitely picking up both games!

Yeah, I have to admit that for all my GT5 bashing, I actually love the series. I'm gonna buy a PS3/GT5 bundle whenever it arrives. Nobody does career modes quite like PD. I even love the license tests.

Apex

jakonovski said:
You know I kind of feel bad for GT5 fans. Forza 3 demo just came out and the release date is set in stone, while GT5 might as well still be a glint in Kaz's eye.

A big part of the fun is to actually play your chosen messiah game and compare it to vids of the big bad competitor.
GT5 Prologue exists for a reason.

schennmu said:
Graphics wise, GT will always win over Forza (Polyphony are tech gods and work on the game for years...)

I don't think it's really a time issue though. T10 have been working on forza on 360 for at
least one year longer than PD worked on GT on PS3. And even so, the GT5P that came out
December 2007 still looks better than the Forza 3 that's coming out October 2009.

The cars and lighting yeah, but FM3's environment's are not so easily dismissed.
Really nice texture work there, I'll admit that.
Does FM3 have 4xAA? (in game)

akachan ningen said:
I don't think it's really a time issue though. T10 have been working on forza on 360 for at
least one year longer than PD worked on GT on PS3. And even so, the GT5P that came out
December 2007 still looks better than the Forza 3 that's coming out October 2009.

If you say so.

m0dus

Banned
akachan ningen said:
The difference is night and day.

More like midday and mid-morning.

And you're comparing direct-feed with off-screen. off-screen enhances contrast. find something with similar overhead (IE, NOT tangential!) lighting conditions.

2u4ps7q.jpg

2f03wgz.jpg

Some tangential lighting pics:

gt5cockpit.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_3-11621-1856_0010.jpg

And graphics-wise, it's not always cut and dry. sometimes forza shines where GT fails, and vice-versa. (GT 5 has the lighting edge in many instances, while Forza has it with the environments in others) As racing fans this SHOULD make us happy, as competition is healthy and breeds improvement (such as Forza adding the cockpit, GT5 adding damage modelling). blanket generalizations based on a dev's pedigree, or another dev's declarations, only set one up for disappointment.

image_forza_motorsport_3-11621-1856_0006.jpg

sommore at gamersyde

painey

i HATE whoever posted that crab picture for forza 3 hands on the steering wheel.. everytime i see an interior shot of f3 now i see that stupid grip.. its ruined for me, like the fed ex logo :lol

theignoramus said:
Idiot, GT5 will be releasing a full three years after Prologue.
I'll pay to play the game two or three years in advance.

As a Forza player, I will have been playing two full games to their full extent during that time.

Vlightray

Apex said:
How many Forza's DLC can you pay with the Prologue's price?

Yeah exactly the very fact that they are even talking of DLC when the full game isn't even our hands pisses me off and yes I am getting it. Wish this DLC shit would die in a fire.

Top Bottom