• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Xanadu

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Tough call really. I mean, at first glance it seems that the Forza AI is blind but perhaps the other cars were all jealous of the F40 driver and his beautiful car? Perhaps the AI is really, really good and factors in envy.

who in their right mind would want a f40 replica MR2? thats what the forza model looks like

Xanadu

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
Hopefully the next Forza patch will fix that F40.

>_>
lol the f40 is one of many terrible models. the newer additions like the 458 are perfectly modelled, its a shame they wont update the older shit ones

The Stealth Fox

Xanadu said:
lol the f40 is one of many terrible models. the newer additions like the 458 are perfectly modelled, its a shame they wont update the older shit ones

What's worse to a sim-head? Incorrectly modeled cars or PS2/PSP quality cars?

Hmmm...

Xanadu

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:

Hmmm...
hmm its hard but to me personally i guess the PS2 ones as they are at least accurately modelled. its annoying as the f40 is one of my dream cars and i cant bear to look at it on forza. i stay in cockpit view and skip all replays lol

The Stealth Fox

Xanadu said:
hmm its hard but to me personally i guess the PS2 ones as they are at least accurately modelled. its annoying as the f40 is one of my dream cars and i cant bear to look at it on forza. i stay in cockpit view and skip all replays lol

Yeah tough decision. Looking right but not enough polys vs more polys but deliberately looking awful...

Xanadu said:

It's just the result of outsourcing. The upside is that you get a bunch of high detail models, but the downside is that it has to be a pain in the ass to do quality control over those models.

KKRT00

darkwing said:
but some of the GT5 cars were cutting corners, the Viper car was way on the grass
Disqualify! :)

flyinpiranha said:
Just seems weird, if you're going to do an off camera test to make it the same, every time Forza comes up he either pushes on the brake or in the 3rd take he's applying it already.
Probably because he knows that they will hit him eventually and try to block car in place.
You can see that on first attempt he push brake just before the impact.
I'm also pretty sure that he is using both brakes :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gogogow said:
The players car in F4 is already rammed to the side and yet the AI cars keeps slamming it, weird. I thought T10 had a good foundation to work on. I wonder what happened.
Yeah, I'd love to see the same test on Forza 3. (at work so I havent seen the vid, but I assume it's just F4 and GT5)

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Also, surprised how bad GT5 looks visually there compared to Forza 4.

I'm....going to assume you're joking. Right? Since there's not really much of a comparison to be made at this sort of shitty quality.

GT5vsF4AI.jpg

SmokyDave said:
Tough call really. I mean, at first glance it seems that the Forza AI is blind but perhaps the other cars were all jealous of the F40 driver and his beautiful car? Perhaps the AI is really, really good and factors in envy.

I like your thinking.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nib95 said:
I'm....going to assume you're joking. Right? Since there's not really much of a comparison to be made at this sort of shitty quality.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/GT5vsF4AI.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The lighting and carmodels are better in GT5. Trackside is preference I guess but even in this particular stretch of track it looks better for GT5. GT5 falters plenty in spots too.

nib95 said:

So besides the car model being a slap in the face to respectable F40 drivers what are you trying to prove with that shitty comparison? Point out the "betters" because I don't see a difference between those shitty captured videos.

The GT5 F40 looks like a cartoon to me (hyperbole) but it looks artificially bright, funnily enough, much like Forza 3.

KKRT00

LiquidMetal14 said:
That blue car gets so close but executes like a boss at around 1:36.

Ahahhah at F4 take 3.
I thought that GT 5 lose it at 0:30, so many cars :), but that orange Viper slided like boss on a grass.

benzy

The Stealth Fox said:

Hmmm...

The ps2 quality cars will eventually get updated to premium in the next games though. I'm not sure if Turn10 plans on completely remodeling old crap car models considering it's been 4 games and they just keep updating the same models with more polygons and detail..

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
So besides the car model being a slap in the face to respectable F40 drivers what are you trying to prove with that shitty comparison? Point out the "betters" because I don't see a difference between those shitty captured videos.

The GT5 F40 looks like a cartoon to me (hyperbole) but it looks artificially bright, funnily enough, much like Forza 3.

Lol...

Toxa said:
he's right the F40 is ugly

Looks a lot better than F4's F40. Only difference is it's a brighter red colour paint which is coming out obtuse on the recording. Same as the red Enzo on the F4 shot.

Snubbers

nib95 said:
Just to clarify. You think a rare drop of 5-10fps on limited and quick occasion is as bad as a lack of 900 degree steering, weaker FFB and numerous forced steering assists that exist throughout racing? (Along with all the other visual omissions F4 has over GT5.) Lol.

I promise you the actual handling/driving mechanics are infinitely more important than random 5-10fps drops which you likely won't even notice. Based on the latest videos of Spec 2's frame rate analysis, we're talking about an average frame rate of like 59fps now. The frame rate of GT5 (at least on a like for like basis) is almost a pointless area of debate since the update (not sure about tearing though I hear it's also been greatly reduced).

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/forza-4-vs-gran-turismo-5

I'm going to try and not be too sarcastic with this.

1. There is 900 degree steering via a workaround, are you actual aware what the issue is when you set the wheel to 900 degrees?

2. Did you actually read the article that video is part of.. just to quote one section about 'handling'..
eurogamer said:
The overall impression we get from playing both games back-to-back is that each has its own strengths: in terms of the handling and audio Turn 10 could well have moved ahead of its competition .

As for the tearing, I have GT5, I know full well how it manifests itself, I look well beyond that. I also have FM4 and a Fanatec wheel, so I can perfectly judge the 'weight' these issues have..

Hence my rather obviously OTT analogy... If I apply your logic, I wouldn't want that 600hz Panasonic Plasma that makes everything look brilliant just because of some very minor and occasional frame rate issues..
To be clear, as it seems you are mistaking me for an overly defendant FM supported, you are saying that what are exceedingly minor and pretty well hidden/occasional foibles with steering in FM4 there is no point in buying a peripheral that gives a wonderful experience?

Do you see the similarity in flawed logic?

And this is all meant light heartedly, I know some good banter can make the days go a bit quicker :)

nib95 said:

Good answer.

Snubbers said:
I'm going to try and not be too sarcastic with this.

1. There is 900 degree steering via a workaround, are you actual aware what the issue is when you set the wheel to 900 degrees?

2. Did you actually read the article that video is part of.. just to quote one section about 'handling'..

I pointed that out to him before. I think he either ignored it or just said "I disagree with the article I was using as proof for my point on that part, but the parts that glorify GT5 I agree with. They are wrong on that one though"

nib95 said:
Looks a lot better than F4's F40. Only difference is it's a brighter red colour paint which is coming out obtuse on the recording. Same as the red Enzo on the F4 shot.
So basically exactly what I said. Glad we can agree.

SmokyDave

Xanadu said:
who in their right mind would want a f40 replica MR2? thats what the forza model looks like
I wasn't going to go there but, yeah, it looks shit. It really does have that MR2 Replica feel where everything is just 'off'.

The Stealth Fox

flyinpiranha said:
I pointed that out to him before. I think he either ignored it or just said "I disagree with the article I was using as proof for my point on that part, but the parts that glorify GT5 I agree with. They are wrong on that one though"
It's not a steering assist if you don't admit it.

It's so nice how Forza 4 decided to pay tribute to GT1's AI. That F40 also looks straight out of Outrun 2, another tribute? Turn 10 are such nice guys.

nib95

Banned
Snubbers said:
what are exceedingly minor and pretty well hidden/occasional foibles

This is slightly inaccurate or misleading. They are not hidden or occasional. They're always there. Obviously assists aren't going to turn on if your're driving in a straight line or whatever. They kick in under certain circumstances every time, which annoyingly are the moments where you need them off (cornering, controlling under/over steer, traction, counter steer etc).

Anyway, this always happens. In order to debate something it comes off as me ragging on F4, which I don't mean to do doing. I appreciate the sum of its parts and overall package. My complaint is just with the dumb forced assists.

Gynoug79

Snubbers said:

No there is no workaround the wheel/xbox just internally scales down the 900° to 270°. The so called Fix just allows the wheel to connect to the xbox/FM4 with the Sen set to 900°.

JetBlackPanda said:
this thread is ridiculous.

This thread is the bile of GAF IMO. There's people on both sides who haven't played shit for the "other" that are scouring the net to support their opinion.

I know I come here for a laugh.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Not as bad as F4's AI in that last video.

BOOM goes the dynamite. I agree though.

Xanadu

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
This thread is the bile of GAF IMO. There's people on both sides who haven't played shit for the "other" that are scouring the net to support their opinion.

I know I come here for a laugh.
you are one of the fanboys though

people like me love both series despite their faults

nib95

Banned
That Eurogamer quote about handling, also kind of further evidence of certain failures in gaming journalism today. They often just don't have a clue. So many came out to say F4 was the most realistic driving and handling sim on consoles to date (despite the fact that many Sim racing enthusiasts said otherwise). Once again, it just shows the incompetence of journalists or the lack of understanding in certain things. Forced assists, a worse traction and weight transfer model, less suspension and road feedback and somehow it's a more realistic driving model? How in the world did they come to that conclusion? It's beyond me. Because of better sound effects or something? Because the assists made them feel like better drivers? I don't know.

Preferred driving model perhaps, but more realistic? Not a chance.

flyinpiranha said:

I know I come here for a laugh

This post is a perfect example of why this thread is hilarious... The irony... so good.

RankoSD

Oh my, so many things wrong in that F4 side, car model is wrong, AI is bad, that Suzuka chicane is wrong on so many levels but I guess we are used to that in Forza games (they stretch everything out so that people can say that the sense of speed is good), AI accelerates like they have jet engines under their hood...

Wazzim

Banned
Hey maybe T10 will finally start releasing 780mb patches every month and get Forza 4 2.0 done in October 2012 with all the fixes and some account exclusive DLC.

;-)

nib95

Banned
Wazzim said:
Hey maybe T10 will finally start releasing 780mb patches every month and get Forza 4 2.0 done in October 2012 with all the fixes and some account exclusive DLC.

;-)

That would actually be awesome since chances are we won't be getting another Forza on the 360 or for a while.

Top Bottom