• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Truespeed

Snubbers said:
You really think that GT5 isn't highly inconsistent? Look at the menu 'path' logic, look at the implementation of head-tracking and leaderboards, look at the premium to standard cars, look at the difference graphically between say the Nordschielfe vs Grand-Valley..

Of course, I can point out many flaws in Forza, before you think I'm purely against GT5.. The MSAA drop between game modes, the mirror fps between game modes, etc, etc, etc..
Granted, there are inconsistencies and compromises, but you could make that argument for many console driving games. To call it unfinished and rushed is another matter. They released the game they wanted to and they've supported and upgraded it consistently for free.

Snubbers said:
Despite his lack of experience, and slightly misplaced analysis (A game has different priorities then his own software), his attitude towards his software design is quite commendable..

Laugh at him all you want, but he should keep approaching his software development in this manner, it'll serve him well in his career..

Nice sugar coating, but to be so brazen as to infer that the competency and quality standards of the GT5 software engineers were inferior to the standards of his homework assignments was the primary impetus as to why I even replied to that insane rant.

Solal said:
Guy, if you want to know why GT5 is an unfinished, unproduced and unpolished game, just look back at all the threads about it, ...you are denying the undeniable. Seriously: a little bit of honesty from time to time...

GT5 has its flaws, but then so does every game in this category. GT5 delivers where it matters - on the track with very little compromise. There are so many things Polyphony could have turned off or dialed way down to meet a solid 60 FPS target, but they decided not to because of their attention to detail (which I think has yet to be surpassed by any console driving game). Whether you think it's incomplete and unpolished is your opinion so whatever because we could probably go back and forth about the same complaints in F3 or F4.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
yeah, that lambo wheel looks decent but the tyre looks absolute shit.

dat bumpmapping:

sangimignano-townsquarzxpp.jpg

sangimignano-townsquarcbjj.jpg

these are ps4 quality cars? lol, edges galore. polyphony better have some super high poly car models stored somewhere...

Wait, you actually think that looks bad?

Ok then... Must suck to be you.

Remind me again why you praised and never posted shit like that in games like Supercar Challenge? Now those are some high quality wheels man! That lack of 30fps was really put to good use.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Truespeed said:
GT5 has its flaws, but then so does every game in this category. GT5 delivers where it matters - on the track with very little compromise. There are so many things Polyphony could have turned off or dialed way down to meet a solid 60 FPS target, but they decided not to because of their attention to detail (which I think has yet to be surpassed by any console driving game). Whether you think it's incomplete and unpolished is your opinion so whatever because we could probably go back and forth about the same complaints in F3 or F4.

No cockpit view in 80% of the cars at launch says otherwise.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
The exact same wheel you were calling a promotional shot now suddenly looks like crap
lol.gif
lol and it was a promotional shot. Looks a lot better than the posted pic (i think because the effects and missing tire). Also still waiting for the photomode version. Do GT5 have standard and premiums rims too?

edit: ^LOL

If only GT5 would switch models as Forza does.

And I mean it

shinnn said:
lol and it was a promotional shot. Looks a lot better than the posted pic. Also still waiting for the photomode version. Do GT5 have standard and premiums rims too?

edit: ^LOL
It's still the exact same wheel.

nib95

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

And I mean it

During actual racing, the vehicles look a lot better up close. So no, I'm glad it doesn't. One of the coolest things in races sometimes is when you get caught up in a jam and get to admire opponent vehicles up close and personal for that split second or two. It's always gratifying getting a snippet of a headlight and vehicle rear that looks hyper realistic.

nib95 said:
During actual racing, the vehicles look a lot better up close. So no, I'm glad it doesn't. One of the coolest things in races sometimes is when you get caught up in a jam and get to admire opponent vehicles up close and personal for that split second or two. It's always gratifying getting a snippet of a headlight and vehicle rear that looks hyper realistic.

I meant for Photo modes. Forza switches the model to full LOD when you take a photo.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
to annoy you.
When you shit on GT5 framerate and then claim that the framedrops in Supercar Challenge aren't bad, which in a 30fps game, are VERY BAD. Is that also to annoy me?
lol.gif

paskowitz

Wow standards sure are ugly...

specialstageroute51as.jpg

its just crazy... how could they leave these in the game? /sarcasm

Seriously, the people who complain about standards really need to lay off it. You DO NOT notice when you are driving that the car in front or behind you is a standard car. Yes, no nicely modeled cockpit is a downer, but that is really it.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:

And I mean it

It's still the exact same wheel.
I never doubted about your picture. I said it was a great promotional shot (and it was, funny how the promotional shot hide the tires... that's the point of a promotional shot... get it?), and I said that I would like to see a photomode version.

You said the cars are standard, and they are not. Right?

The Stealth Fox

GT5 has premium lighting and premium physics for all its cars.

Forza has standard lighting and standard physics for all its cars. Not to mention the standard AI.

Forza turns premium brains into standard brains, as evidenced by the above.

chrislowe

Wax Free Vanilla said:
photomode or travel, they still look like shit. the tyres and wheels are the weakest links in gt5's car models, some are truly appalling:

untitled-2cdnt.jpg

lol

what do you wanna show with the 2 upper pictures?. that Ferrari used wheelcovers to have the brakes at right temperature and make the aerodynamics better?

They looked like that in real life too.

raik_fer_bah_08pre_3_wheelcover.jpg

paskowitz

Sporran said:
^^^
wots wrong with that picture, in about 1 hour the sun comes up in real time, oh yes ;)

Nope that is only on certain tracks :p... The whole magic of that track is the fact that it is at night. It would be pretty dull during day time.

shinnn said:
I never doubted about your picture. I said it was a great promotional shot (and it was, funny how the promotional shot hide the tires... that's the point of a promotional shot... get it?), and I said that I would like to see a photomode version.

Well, no shit. First I didn't even knew you took the shots, 2nd I didn't even knew what cars they were. The moment you said you took them and which cars they were it became pretty obvious. Why else would I tell you to use them in Photo Travel if you can't use standards in Photo Travel?

chrislowe said:
what do you wanna show with the 2 upper pictures?. that Ferrari used wheelcovers to have the brakes at right temperature and make the aerodynamics better?

raik_fer_bah_08pre_3_wheelcover.jpg&sa=X&ei=M9-hTpCtK4nO4QTc1pTnBA&ved=0CAwQ8wc4FQ&usg=AFQjCNGIdS3txySAeYchRCMF7S1pPquj2g

Tire quality is degraded. Ones from Prologue other from GT5. But Wax Free Vannila didn't get the memo that PD are working on a limited hardware and thinks they did it just to annoy him.

chrislowe

Metalmurphy said:
Well, no shit. First I didn't even knew you took the shots, 2nd I didn't even knew what cars they were. The moment you said you took them and which cars they were it became pretty obvious. Why else would I tell you to use them in Photo Travel if you can't use standards in Photo Travel?

Tire quality is degraded. Ones from Prologue other from GT5.

what is degraded?.. you mean the Rim?
like i said, Ferrari used wheelcovers on the rims.

shinnn

The Stealth Fox said:
GT5 has premium lighting and premium physics for all its cars.

Forza has standard lighting and standard physics for all its cars. Not to mention the standard AI.

Forza turns premium brains into standard brains, as evidenced by the above.
Forza does not have premium/standard shit. That's why it's the premium racing sim of this gen. ;)

jett

D-Member
Ridge Racer 7 is the only premium racer of the generation. Full 1080p@60fps ftw. Kaz and Dan cry bitter tears together.

test_account

XP-39C²
What is the name of that Lamborghini? And is it in Forza 4 for comparison?

shinnn said:

When you said promotional shot, it kinda sounded (in my opinion) like you ment that it was doctored a lot, or pre-rendered, and not taking within the game itself.

statham

Dibbz said:
statham, what is that supposed to prove? The car is ugly as it is in real life.

Honda_Insight.jpg
you guys are nutz, I was showing the real time refection on the side of the car that forza doesn't have since it has to cut something for hitting 60fps.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
tusken77 said:
It's possible to do the same thing in Forza 4 as you do in Kinect Joy Ride. Enough said.
More like nothing was said.
And way to go with the sound bullshit or floaty wheel nonsense.

And I only play GT5 btw, with a G27 and wheel stand pro, but the amount of crap posted in this thread is appaling.

Dibbz

statham said:
you guys are nutz, I was showing the real time refection on the side of the car that forza doesn't have since it has to cut something for hitting 60fps.
LOL. You're one of the biggest GT trolls in here.

Dash Kappei

Truespeed said:
Granted, there are inconsistencies and compromises, but you could make that argument for many console driving games. To call it unfinished and rushed is another matter. They released the game they wanted to and they've supported and upgraded it consistently for free.

Nice sugar coating, but to be so brazen as to infer that the competency and quality standards of the GT5 software engineers were inferior to the standards of his homework assignments was the primary impetus as to why I even replied to that insane rant.

I love how you're like "GT5 is superior where it matters, don't care about sugar coating" one time and the other time you're like "well, who cares for (only the second most important thing besides driving model) a stable framerate at 60fps, happy they didn't dial back 'cause [sugar coating] is more important".
Let's dismiss or praise a feature always and only following an agenda, right? Moving goalposts for the win!

tusken77

Dash Kappei said:
More like nothing was said.
And way to go with the sound bullshit or floaty wheel nonsense.

I said they're reasons why I can't take Forza seriously. They lose credibility with such things. Imagine having that feature in Gran Turismo - sat there driving with just your hands in the air.....ridiculous, wouldn't happen. Same applies to the nonsense floating wheel. As for the sound, I have a £2,700 sound system....Gran Turismo sounds fantastic to me. I'm not interested in the exaggerated (or as Turn 10 describes them, "Hollywood-style") sounds and visuals of Forza.

patsu

chrislowe said:

raik_fer_bah_08pre_3_wheelcover.jpg

Hm... I learn something new every day.

tusken77 said:
I said they're reasons why I can't take Forza seriously. They lose credibility with such things.
They lose credibility because they have an optional super assist mode for the kids? I don't see how that makes a lick of sense.

Dash Kappei

tusken77 said:
I said they're reasons why I can't take Forza seriously. They lose credibility with such things. Imagine having that feature in Gran Turismo - sat there driving with just your hands in the air.....ridiculous, wouldn't happen. Same applies to the nonsense floating wheel. As for the sound, I have a £2,700 sound system....Gran Turismo sounds fantastic to me. I'm not interested in the exaggerated (or as Turn 10 describes them, "Hollywood-style") sounds and visuals of Forza.
My sound system is £20.000 (at the very least, I can provide pics).
GT5 sounds like crap 95% of the time.

statham

tusken77 said:
I said they're reasons why I can't take Forza seriously. They lose credibility with such things. Imagine having that feature in Gran Turism o - sat there driving with just your hands in the air.....ridiculous, wouldn't happen.Same applies to the nonsense floating wheel. As for the sound, I have a £2,700 sound system....Gran Turismo sounds fantastic to me. I'm not interested in the exaggerated (or as Turn 10 describes them, "Hollywood-style") sounds and visuals of Forza.
bravo, just bravo.

Neo 007

There BOTH very good looking and feeling driving games.
Racing and time trialing 99% of users don't notice visual flaws.

Be thankful Turn 10 and PD produce this stuff for us.

Some of you guys need to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom