• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Yoritomo said:
I'm not sure it properly adjusts for the xboxes settings either. If you don't have it on in the xbox settings expanded then you'll see black and white crush. If you don't have an hdmi input that handles full RGB then you'll get black and white crush. I had crushed blacks until I had all the xboxes on expanded.
I'll give the expanded option a shot. I do have HDMI and my Sony Bravia seems to default to ultra high contrast. I'd properly calibrate it if I had any clue what I was doing. Being colorblind probably doesn't help much either. ;P

That said, the crush isn't as bad as Forza 3 to my eyes. I absolutely love how Forza 4 looks most of the time, short of some of the jaggies.

Polyphony

HollovVpo1nt said:
I thought the whole point of Sim racers was to try to simulate the feel of a car, not how close you can get to real-life times.

Correct, but when the real life and in-game footage comes from the same driver in the same car, the similar laptimes only serve to show how the real and virtual car behaves similarly to one's driving style. It's also a testament to how the car's performance and the track's modeling match their real life counterparts.

nib95 said:
Is there a single Sim enthusiast racer/gamer that believe Forza's driving or physics model to more accurate or realistic than GT5's? I don't think there has been. I don't even think it's possible.

Are there people who prefer Forza's driving or racing model or prefer Forza as a game? Sure. But I don't think any sim enthusiast could argue that GT isn't the more realistic driving/racing game here.

Gran Turismo certainly has the reputation, and well deserved. When it comes to simulation, it's had Forza beat. However a lot has changed in Forza 4, not just visually but physics and mechanics have improved dramatically. I don't know any source that doesn't agree that Forza 4 is now the superior sim.

Wazzim

Banned
LittleJohnny said:
Gran Turismo certainly has the reputation, and well deserved. When it comes to simulation, it's had Forza beat. However a lot has changed in Forza 4, not just visually but physics and mechanics have improved dramatically. I don't know any source that doesn't agree that Forza 4 is now the superior sim.
There was some Dutch driver who played F4 and thought it was a bit too 'floaty' in the steering and that the Ring was a bit too clean compared to GT (weird because, if I'm correct, GT also has the same kind of asphalt on the whole track).

seeds19

Banned
I prefer by a huge margin the forza 4 car selection over the gt5, but for me gt5 is some galaxys superior to forza in every aspect of a racing game would be.

I hope the D.L.C brings to the GT5 more european racing cars, and more real tracks, the lack of it is a big dissapointment, and the inclusion of 11 nascar racing cars over other racing cars in spec 2 is a extreme faiulure imo.

LittleJohnny said:

How many are those? How many of them actually know anything about sim racers?

Care to give some examples?

I have Forza and GT and enjoy them both. Don't want to spend money on a decent wheel, so I use the standard controllers.

I personally enjoy Forza more because the 360 controller does a pretty good job. The DS3is absolutely terrible for racing games. The triggers suck for acceleration and braking. I would imagine a wheel or maybe even a better 3rd party controller is required to fully appreciate GT.

KKRT00

LittleJohnny said:
Gamespot's driving games expert approves.

patsu

DownWithTheShip said:
I have Forza and GT and enjoy them both. Don't want to spend money on a decent wheel, so I use the standard controllers.

I personally enjoy Forza more because the 360 controller does a pretty good job. The DS3is absolutely terrible for racing games. The triggers suck for acceleration and braking. I would imagine a wheel or maybe even a better 3rd party controller is required to enjoy GT.

My friends play and enjoy GT5 on DS3 exclusively.

I'm the only one who play it on a wheel among my circle of friends. I'm telling you, with a wheel, it becomes like the Demon's Souls of racing game. The driving is much more engaging because of the wheel. And it will fight back when you bump into stuff. ^_^

shinnn

paskowitz said:
Lug nuts are so last gen...... please tell me someone gets this...
sorry I've missed this post.

Last gen indeed

tsukubacircuit87s8.jpg

tsukubacircuit_177xc.jpg

eso76

shinnn said:
sorry I've missed this post.

Last gen indeed

would you mind posting similar pics from phototravel mode ?

i couldn't be bothered, but that will show people what i meant with "cars are considerably lower poly ingame".

(Not denying they're still more detailed than fm4 typical ingame models, mind you, but nowhere near phototravel or fm lod0 models)

When everything is said and done, though, i think knowing this thread will still be here when we're in our 80's is reassuring.

Forza11.jpg

(i do think rims looked better in fm3)

LittleJohnny said:

There's one source: reality. You know, the one that doesn't feature cars that drive themselves.

shinnn said:
nice promotional photo

Can you take a picture of this in the photomode? I don't have 15 million for this car.

Promotional photo? it's official you really don't know anything you are saying. That's straight from photomode.

patsu said:
My friends play and enjoy GT5 on DS3 exclusively.

I'm the only one who play it on a wheel among my circle of friends. I'm telling you, with a wheel, it becomes like the Demon's Souls of racing game. The driving is much more engaging because of the wheel. And it will fight back when you bump into stuff. ^_^

Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? :D

"Gran Turismo 5, now as ever, demands wide-eyed attention at every turn, and in this regard it's very much the Dark Souls of driving. It's got its own Blighttown too, in the form of a drive around the Nordschleife in the dead of night, an experience that's as terrifying and as challenging as anything in From Software's game".

I swear every time I see shinnn post in this thread it's like sniffing glue in that I can't stop laughing until it occurs to me the number of brain cells it's killing. Then I'm hit by an overwhelming sadness in contemplating he might actually be airing genuinely held beliefs.

shinnn said:
nice promotional photo

Can you take a picture of this in the photomode? I don't have 15 million for this car.

I can. But will I bother?

Plus pretty sure the pics you posted are from standard cars, as they all have a flat texture for the tire while premium cars have bumpmapping.

hBEms.jpg
8ZWje.jpg
iRzsR.jpg

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
I can. But will I bother?

Plus pretty sure the pics you posted are from standard cars, as they all have a flat texture for the tire while premium cars have bumpmapping.

hBEms.jpg
8ZWje.jpg
iRzsR.jpg

Pretty sure they are premiums since I was driving with cockpit view with the BMW, and the Lexus is the IS-F. I think it is premium too?

shinnn said:
Pretty sure they are premiums since I was driving with cockpit view with the BMW, and the Lexus is the IS-F. I think it is premium too?

Take them in Photo Travel next time, cause you know, GT5 doesn't switch models for race photo mode.

tusken77

Steve McQueen said:
"Gran Turismo 5, now as ever, demands wide-eyed attention at every turn, and in this regard it's very much the Dark Souls of driving. It's got its own Blighttown too, in the form of a drive around the Nordschleife in the dead of night, an experience that's as terrifying and as challenging as anything in From Software's game".

Yep, in last week's Eurogamer podcast Robinson said something similar when comparing the difference between the two Nurburgring experiences...

"In Forza it's loads of fun and you can just basically throw a car into a corner and about mid apex put your foot on the throttle and just slide it out, whereas if you're playing Gran Turismo you're just terrified".

darkwing

tusken77 said:
Yep, in last week's Eurogamer podcast Robinson said something similar when comparing the difference between the two Nurburgring experiences...

"In Forza it's loads of fun and you can just basically throw a car into a corner and about mid apex put your foot on the throttle and just slide it out, whereas if you're playing Gran Turismo you're just terrified".

how about at night with rain then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_oW4qZkj3M&feature=related

paskowitz

tusken77 said:

Above all else this is what bothers me about Forza. Even with all their tire model data, physics refresh rates, etc, it still does not feel as good with a wheel. It just feels gamey. I am rarely fooled that I am playing a game. In GT5, my mind has these episodes where I think for a fraction of a second, what I am doing is real. I may lean my body into a corner in anticipation of g-forces that are not there. I think the funniest thing I ever did was squint and shield my eyes from the sun... lol... I laugh at myself for a while after I did that.

I don't get these moments in Forza.

ShapeGSX said:
I'm sure it is scripted. I don't care. It's incredibly awesome.

"And across the line!"

I think it's fantastic that T10 used the same cameras as the show and it absolutely boggles the mind why PD didn't...

gutterboy44 said:

Rowan Atkinson , fastest so far in the C'eed

Camera shake is a little liberal.

Only makes me realize how long of a ways we have to go. The tires in the Forza gif don't even move. Nitpicking at its finest!

Wazzim

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I think it's fantastic that T10 used the same cameras as the show and it absolutely boggles the mind why PD didn't...
I think they just did not had enough time to do things the right way with all the Top Gear stuff, I don't know if you remember the atmosphere around release but it was all about releasing that game ASAP.

darkwing said:
lol this one is a bit scary though, you are the only car in the road, at night
Haha yeah I shat my pants the first time I drove with all the HUD off in the night (alone, in a RX-7 Amemiya/Super GT), that was one of my best moments with GT5 for sure.

ShapeGSX

Wazzim said:
I think they just did not had enough time to do things the right way with all the Top Gear stuff, I don't know if you remember the atmosphere around release but it was all about releasing that game ASAP.

You mean after they delayed it? :)

paskowitz

Metalmurphy said:

Honestly, the horrible TG integration, or rather lack there of, is my biggest gripe with GT5. They spent all that time on that TG video (the one the plays on the start screen and when you start the stupid TG challenges). It could have been SO awesome...

paskowitz said:
In GT5, my mind has these episodes where I think for a fraction of a second, what I am doing is real....I don't get these moments in Forza.

I love Forza 4, but I feel exactly the same way. Despite the tearing and the framedrops, there are some moments ( for example 'special route' ) when the lighting seems so real, that I feel like driving home in my car at night. The use of a wheel reinforces this feeling. And off course, the fact that I own a GTR.

I wish! :D

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
Take them in Photo Travel next time, cause you know, GT5 doesn't switch models for race photo mode.
but... you said that I was lying and the cars are standard?

20111021173432zulp.jpg

Can't get close enough with standard cars. How have you missed it? I thought you are very knowledgeable with this game.

Metalmurphy said:

photomode or travel, they still look like shit. the tyres and wheels are the weakest links in gt5's car models, some are truly appalling:

untitled-2cdnt.jpg

dczKa.gif

fEO5A.jpg

lol

The complete lack of integration of the TG license in GT5 does boggle the mind. It is all right there. Like making a movie story board from a comic book. All you have to do is convert the assets. Ugh.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
tusken77 said:
Putting aside the lack of dynamic time, weather, surfaces, some of the reasons why I just can't take Forza seriously: forced/hidden/whatever you want to call them assists, the ability to rewind, Kinect, the ability to buy any car you want with real money, that new floating 'Steering Wheel' thing, the game's exaggerated look and sound (or as the Forza 4 trailer likes to call it "Hollywood-style video and audio effects"), the general lack of accuracy, the widening of tracks, cartoons on cars via the livery editor, as seen in yesterday's video - the dumb as rocks AI, Dan Greenwalt.
LOL

What do you care if there's optional Kinect stuff?
What do you care if casuals play with that horrible virtual wheel?

And what the hell, sound? Are you for real? No, just NO. GT5's sound effects are fucking HORRIBLE. Cars sound nothing like the real thing, so even if not accurate at least they sound nice and carry a punch in Forza 4. 95% of GT5's cars sound like my 50cc scooter.

shinnn said:
but... you said that I was lying and the cars are standard?

[]http://www.abload.de/img/20111021173432zulp.jpg[/]

Can't get close enough with standard cars. How have you missed it? I thought you are very knowledgeable with this game.

"Plus pretty sure the pics you posted are from standard cars" = "You're lying"?

And I meant, take the pictures u just took in Photo Travel. If you can't use Photo Travel with standards then by default there is no model switching now is there? Use your head.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
photomode or travel, they still look like shit. the tyres and wheels are the weakest links in gt5's car models, some are truly appalling:

[]http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-2cdnt.jpg[/img]

[]http://i.imgur.com/dczKa.gif[/img]

[]http://i.imgur.com/fEO5A.jpg[/img]

lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32022304&postcount=15714

Some aren't.

Metalmurphy said:
"Plus pretty sure the pics you posted are from standard cars" = "You're lying"?

And I meant, take the pictures u just took in Photo Travel. If you can't use Photo Travel with standards then by default there is no model switching now is there? Use your head.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32022304&postcount=15714

Some aren't.

yeah, that lambo wheel looks decent but the tyre looks absolute shit.

dat bumpmapping:

sangimignano-townsquarzxpp.jpg

sangimignano-townsquarcbjj.jpg

these are ps4 quality cars? lol, edges galore. polyphony better have some super high poly car models stored somewhere...

Top Bottom