• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

KHarvey16 said:
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. You go ahead and program in realistic physics for sideways and upside down cars in your game, the guys doing it for a living will do what makes more sense.

:lol okay, I'll go ahead and program that in.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nice to see the insanity hasn't ended just yet, and now poor old Slightly Mad Studios are being dragged into this via NFS:Shift? nice.

I'm not even going to touch the "physics debate", as you guys seem to be doing a good job of undermining your own positions as it is, so carry on.

Anyway, I play NFS:Shift at 1920 x 1080, all things full (With a FOV mod that reduces the cockpit blur at speed, it can also be completely removed) 8xAA and 8xAF. While the models aren't as detailed as Forza or GT (Give SMS the budget that Turn10 had and I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case) the visual fidelity, quality and overall feel kicks the living daylights out of these console pretenders.

It's the difference between stupidly high budgets and an (almost) unrestrcicted platform, if only someone had the balls to put Forza or GT money into a PC sim, this thread wouldn't need to exist.

Oh, and outside of graphics, anyone who plays Shift on consoles, with a gamepad, or non cockpit cam is not only doing it wrong but are not playing Shift how it is meant to be played. The PC edition with a decent wheel and Cockpit cam is easily one of the most intensive, challenging and fun racer I have played for years. Oh, and the driving model makes sense too, the oversteer...disappears. I have used the replay mode for when I used chase cam and cockpit and it is like a different game.

This video is rubbish (darn fraps, must try Xfire next time), but the complete lack of back-stepping-out-ness is striking.

vpance said:
:lol :lol :lol

The resemblance is uncanny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-Sv6YnxEc
Edit: That's just mean, aww.

KHarvey16 said:
You find this line in that article, smart ass:

He's referencing the other article written by some freelancer. Next time you poke your head into a conversation, know what the fuck you're talking about, k?

go back and read what you typed, and what you responded to.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Andronicus said:
What? There's a long going debate from the beginning of the thread quoting that Forza 3 line from a Top Gear article, where do you think the whole magic carpet thing started? I thought that discussion point was pretty known by now. Your Clarkson quote had no bearing to the larger debate at hand, which is confusing.

KHarvey16

Andronicus said:

Huh? He's been bringing up the same article this whole thread and he did it again. The other one is just Clarkson talking about GT.

XiaNaphryz said:
What? There's a long going debate from the beginning of the thread quoting that Forza 3 line from a Top Gear article, where do you think the whole magic carpet thing started? I thought that discussion point was pretty known by now. Your Clarkson quote had no bearing to the larger debate at hand, which is confusing.

i was responding that it wasnt the same flamebait article it had nothing to do with GT5 or F3 thats why the shit is from 2005. i think an article from 2005 on F3 and GT5 would be more confusing.....

XiaNaphryz

Andronicus said:
i was responding that it wasnt the same flamebait article it had nothing to do with GT5 or F3 thats why the shit is from 2005. i think an article from 2005 on F3 and GT5 would be more confusing.....
It's obviously not the same article. I'm still not sure why it was brought up.

XiaNaphryz

Andronicus said:
That conversation went further than that - that was a confusing reply as well, and didn't address the "Forza 3 is arcade" comment that he had quoted from a different TG article earlier, the one a bunch of others quoted along with the silly TG magic carpet image. He replied with a completely different article with a different author.

It's not that hard to figure out. :lol Why did you not keep going back in the conversation?

XiaNaphryz said:
That conversation went further than that - that was a confusing reply as well, and didn't address the "Forza 3 is arcade" comment that he had quoted from a different TG article earlier, the one a bunch of others quoted along with the silly TG magic carpet image. He replied with a completely different article with a different author.

It's not that hard to figure out. :lol
what the magic carpet shit? everyone knows that its pretty much a dumb comment. people have played this game if that was some game altering fault that existed i think it would have been brought up numerous times by other sources.

AFreak

Banned
Valru said:
this pic says it all about SHIFT for me i felt like i was playing underground 1 after this :lol

SHIFT is no where near the level of gameplay or graphics that GT5 or Forza3 achieve.
both systems have a great sim racer out within the next 6 months so fucking enjoy them:D

/exit thread

max everything 4xaa 1680x1050
[IMhttp://i36.tinypic.com/11vhbhk.jpg[MG]

Is that seriously just a decal sticker for the engine?

_Xenon_

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Here's the FM3 dancing car video, in case you missed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxVNENan6g

I can't believe people are bragging about these physics. Not that GT5 has perfected them either.
What's wrong with the physics? You can say the game lacks a solid method to deal with a flipped car (should have respawned the car) but I can't see there's anything wrong related to physics before it's flipped.

And I wonder why you (among other 3-4 specific posters in this thread) are trying so hard to bash a game you have no interest in playing in the first place ...
must be pretty pathetic in real life.

Chrange

Banned
akachan ningen said:
If the game's physics made sense, the car would stay on its roof once it flipped over. the fact that some magical force is trying to flip it back over means the physics don't make sense. It's not that complicated. But go ahead and keep pretending you know what you're talking about.

Haven't played the demo, huh? You use the stick to roll the car back onto its wheels. The person in the video is just rolling it back and forth instead. It's not a physics glitch, it's done deliberately.

Chrange said:
Haven't played the demo, huh? You use the stick to roll the car back onto its wheels. The person in the video is just rolling it back and forth instead. It's not a physics glitch, it's done deliberately.

Oh, I didn't realize it was possible to flip over your car by moving the steering wheel. All these dumbasses who roll their cars off the highway are just wasting money calling tow trucks huh?

Recoil

akachan ningen said:
Oh, I didn't realize it was possible to flip over your car by moving the steering wheel. All these dumbasses who roll their cars off the highway are just wasting money calling tow trucks huh?
Somehow, I knew this was coming.

I'd tell you to quit while you're behind, but you're waaaay past that point already.

Wow. Just wow. :lol

Chrange

Banned
akachan ningen said:

You don't get hundreds of exotic cars for $60 in real life either. Obviously flawed.

Chrange

Banned

bj00rn_

Banned
akachan ningen said:
What a brilliant parallel. I'm sorry I doubted you.

For the sake of the argument let's say that you finally manage to prove that che is shit, Forza 3 is shit and everyone thus stop anticipate and possibly enjoy the game. So what now do you feel that you've accomplished?

I thought this was a comparison thread of two potentially great games, not "This game is shit because..".

DarkJC

Stop It said:
Oh, and the driving model makes sense too.

Having played it on a wheel on the PS3, I have to say this is completely false. Unless something is different on the PC version, it completely falls apart with no assists as you approach the higher tiers.

AKS

I played the Forza 3 demo yesterday. This isn't even a debate worth having. GT5 Prologue looks considerably better, let alone whatever GT5 will look like by the time that is completed in March 2010. Forza 3 will have the advantage in the area of online and customizability and that's about it. I was disappointed with Forza 3's visuals. They look very cartoony after spending so much time playing GT5 Prologue. Forza 3 will probably end up being a great racing title, but please stop with the graphics comparisons. There's no battle to be won for Forza 3 here unless it's for 2nd place with another game.

bj00rn_ said:
For the sake of the argument let's say that you finally manage to prove that che is shit, Forza 3 is shit and everyone thus stop anticipate and possibly enjoy the game. So what now do you feel that you've accomplished?

That would be pretty amazing considering I haven't been trying prove that. All I've been arguing is that FM3 is ugly compared to GT5, the physics aren't as good as some people are saying, and that Che lied about what he said re photomode/gameplay graphics, which he now admits he was wrong about. He "misunderstood" or so he claims.

G_Berry

Banned
xenorevlis said:
Uh, it does in the replays. It also looks better than that in motion at 1080p. Both games look amazing in motion, in fact, but there is clearly some pre-calculated, ray-traced, HDR wizardry going on with GT5P's shaders.

LOL no it doesn't. WTF is wrong with half of you people in here??

Xun

akachan ningen said:
That would be pretty amazing considering I haven't been trying prove that. All I've been arguing is that FM3 is ugly compared to GT5, the physics aren't as good as some people are saying, and that Che lied about what he said re photomode/gameplay graphics, which he now admits he was wrong about. He "misunderstood" or so he claims.
External Avatar Location: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/drtung/tony-tony-chopper-scribble.png
PS Network User ID: AkachanNingen

Aha.

Have you ever actually played the game?

skybaby

akachan ningen said:
It's official, every game is shit because reality has no extra lives :lol
The retardness of this thread knows no limits!

xenorevlis said:
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h3w9sS8iZQ

I almost assumed someone here made it but a Ctrl+F scan of the last few pages didn't yield any results... so yeah, looks interesting fellas. Continue the endless seesaw :p

Oh yeah, almost forgot, direct link to 720p mp4:

http://www.heartofbattle.com/videos/gt5pvsforza3demo.mp4

Noticed the spoiler doesn't rise on the R8 in F3 like it does in GT5P. At least based on those videos. I wonder if movable parts on other cars, like the airbrake on the Veyron, work properly in F3.

This is supposed to pop up automatically when the car is going over 60mph and go back down when under 20mph
ag_08r8_popupwing.jpg

TheHeretic said:
To get an idea of how the "physics" of the driving model handle, yes.

I never made any comments about the "physics" of the driving model(or anything about the driving model). I said the way the crashes look was completely unconvincing, so the physics in that regard weren't as good as people are saying.

I swear people have been putting more words into my mouth than I have in this thread. Why bother responding when they'll just keep making up stupid shit for me to say?

Xun

PuppetMaster said:
Noticed the spoiler doesn't rise on the R8 in F3 like it does in GT5P. At least based on those videos. I wonder if movable parts on other cars, like the airbrake on the Veyron, work properly in F3.

This is supposed to pop up automatically when the car is going over 60mph and go back down when under 20mph
ag_08r8_popupwing.jpg
They are different R8s btw.

akachan ningen said:
I never made any comments about the "physics" of the driving model(or anything about the driving model). I said the way the crashes look was completely unconvincing, so the physics in that regard weren't as good as people are saying.

I swear people have been putting more words into my mouth than I have in this thread. Why bother responding when they'll just keep making up stupid shit for me to say?
You are judging things from one video without playing the game.

Play the game, THEN we'll talk.

JRW

Valru said:
this pic says it all about SHIFT for me i felt like i was playing underground 1 after this :lol

SHIFT is no where near the level of gameplay or graphics that GT5 or Forza3 achieve.
both systems have a great sim racer out within the next 6 months so fucking enjoy them:D

/exit thread

max everything 4xaa 1680x1050
11vhbhk.jpg

Weird the car engine in this shot looks like a flat picture rather than a 3D model, yet on 360 version the engines are 3D, You can tell when the camera moves at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48N8-BtSp-k

Xun said:
You are judging things from one video without playing the game.

I've seen way more than one video. Like I said, I've only been commenting on things that don't need to be played to be appreciated. If you can't see that, then there's nothing else I can tell you.

Xun said:
Who do you think you are fooling?:lol :lol
You would simply find some other way to dismiss his opinion or the opinion of anyone else that badmouthed that aspect of the game.

Afrikan

AKS said:
I played the Forza 3 demo yesterday. This isn't even a debate worth having. GT5 Prologue looks considerably better, let alone whatever GT5 will look like by the time that is completed in March 2010. Forza 3 will have the advantage in the area of online and customizability and that's about it. I was disappointed with Forza 3's visuals. They look very cartoony after spending so much time playing GT5 Prologue. Forza 3 will probably end up being a great racing title, but please stop with the graphics comparisons. There's no battle to be won for Forza 3 here unless it's for 2nd place with another game.

This Seat's Taken

928392_20070329_790screen004.jpg

akachan ningen said:

And the way the crashes look as to do with the terms under which cars are licensed, but you ignored my comment on that as well.

If you don't even care enough to play the game why bother commenting on it? How does it impact you? Why do you even care?

TheHeretic said:
And the way the crashes look as to do with the terms under which cars are licensed, but you ignored my comment on that as well.

If you don't even care enough to play the game why bother commenting on it? How does it impact you? Why do you even care?

You're gonna have to show me that comment because I don't see it anywhere on this page.

As for your question, that's kinda the point of this thread. If you don't want to read people's perceived faults with the game that is the topic of the thread, then why even click on it in the first place? How does it impact you? Why do you even care?

Iknos

akachan ningen said:
If the game's physics made sense, the car would stay on its roof once it flipped over. the fact that some magical force is trying to flip it back over means the physics don't make sense. It's not that complicated. But go ahead and keep pretending you know what you're talking about.

That force is still a function of physics. The car isn't being pushed over via an animation...it's being pushed over by a force that plays along with the rest of the physics system.

If the physics didn't make sense then what we should see happen are things that break the rules of the physics engine. You haven't seen it yet.

Zaptruder said:
The point been made by the video is; Forza is repeatedly lauded over Gran Turismo because it has better crash/collision physics. But it's shit. They're both shit.

Forza's collision physics is much much better than Gran Turismo's. On what basis do you make your claim?

The collisions in Forza seem to occur at the vertical center of each chassis and so the forces transfer from the chassis to the suspension to the wheels between both cars. Look at the telemetry...when the cars collide the suspension gets rocked and the wheels are seeing different loads on them individually.

In GT the collision seems to occur much lower almost at the ground level. This means forces are transferred from one car's wheels to another which looks very very odd. Almost like a pinball effect.

Because of the more realistic way it is handled in Forza you take a big risk in colliding with another car. Whereas in GT when you hit a car you have a fairly predictable outcome that favors you because you were the one who transferred all your energy to the other vehicle.

Have you played any amount of either game online or via system link? The difference in collision physics and the superiority of Forza's collision model is readily apparent when you have.

Top Bottom