• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

-viper-

Banned
kobashi100 said:
why is nobody talking A.I and CPU Intelligence. I have not got a PS3 so cannot compare the two games but I do know that all the past GT games I played were full of boring dumb A.I.

How is it in GT5 compared to Forza?
When people refer to GT's A.I., is due to the fact the A.I. drives on a fixed line and takes no notice of any other cars around it, or because of its difficulty? Because if it's the latter, then I have to simply disagree.

GT4 A.I. gets pretty tough to beat in the professional races. S Class mode in GT5:p isn't a walk in the park either.

-viper-

Banned
avaya said:
The main problem with Forza are the horrible design decisions made.

No need to pump so much budget on fully 3D environments which do not look at all real, they look like a videogame when the competition is aiming for uncanny valley. What is the point in 3d grass? That rock track, whatever that is, looks absolutely dreadful. Cypress in the hands of Naughty God doesn't even have the power to pull that off in proper 3D so the bronze-age hardware in the 360 does not stand a chance.

Cheating 3D > Fully 3D when it comes to real-world environments. It looks better on limited hardware, which is what the HD twins are. No debate.

A livery editor has also destroyed the lighting when compared to the benchmark. Livery editors are for pikeys.

In my personal opinion, if you defile a car from the Holy Scarlet Empire of Maranello you should die by lethal injection and have your offspring sterilised so that your deviant behaviour does not contaminate future generations.

Forza looks like it will decimate GT5 when it comes to online. I don't give a shit what Kaz said about online, he is full of shit. Looks like the only thing Forza will be better at than GT5.

Visuals...claiming Forza does tracks/models better than GT5 Prologue is utterly laughable. Forza is not a bad looking game. It is however no GT5:p. No need to bullshit with the GT5:p has the models and Forza has the environments claim. This is not the United Nations. GT5:p looks photorealistic. Forza looks like a videogame. Deal with it. The potato peeling privates will still fight on this point, but they keep opticians in business.

I'm going to say nothing about physics because the checkbox nature of the physics based arguments when it comes to driving model has always amused me. Saying your model can simulate a certain car behaviour does not make your model better by default. A horrible simulation of a particular characteristic can go as far as ruining your whole model. rFactor is the best example of this but since it is so tweakable you can take out some of the checkbox features which ruin everything. So who has the better physics (driving model)? That is entirely PREFERENCE.

Am I doing it right?
lulz :lol

jaypah

avaya said:

No need to pump so much budget on fully 3D environments which do not look at all real, they look like a videogame when the competition is aiming for uncanny valley. What is the point in 3d grass? That rock track, whatever that is, looks absolutely dreadful. Cypress in the hands of Naughty God doesn't even have the power to pull that off in proper 3D so the bronze-age hardware in the 360 does not stand a chance.

Cheating 3D > Fully 3D when it comes to real-world environments. It looks better on limited hardware, which is what the HD twins are. No debate.

A livery editor has also destroyed the lighting when compared to the benchmark. Livery editors are for pikeys.

In my personal opinion, if you defile a car from the Holy Scarlet Empire of Maranello you should die by lethal injection and have your offspring sterilised so that your deviant behaviour does not contaminate future generations.

Forza looks like it will decimate GT5 when it comes to online. I don't give a shit what Kaz said about online, he is full of shit. Looks like the only thing Forza will be better at than GT5.

Visuals...claiming Forza does tracks/models better than GT5 Prologue is utterly laughable. Forza is not a bad looking game. It is however no GT5:p. No need to bullshit with the GT5:p has the models and Forza has the environments claim. This is not the United Nations. GT5:p looks photorealistic. Forza looks like a videogame. Deal with it. The potato peeling privates will still fight on this point, but they keep opticians in business.

I'm going to say nothing about physics because the checkbox nature of the physics based arguments when it comes to driving model has always amused me. Saying your model can simulate a certain car behaviour does not make your model better by default. A horrible simulation of a particular characteristic can go as far as ruining your whole model. rFactor is the best example of this but since it is so tweakable you can take out some of the checkbox features which ruin everything. So who has the better physics (driving model)? That is entirely PREFERENCE.

Am I doing it right?

and this is why i can't stay away from this thread. i have no idea what your point was but BRAVO young man :lol you're certainly doing it right!

-viper- said:
When people refer to GT's A.I., is due to the fact the A.I. drives on a fixed line and takes no notice of any other cars around it, or because of its difficulty? Because if it's the latter, then I have to simply disagree.

GT4 A.I. gets pretty tough to beat in the professional races. S Class mode in GT5:p isn't a walk in the park either.

i think it's both but as far as the "drivers ride their line" stuff i think it's indicative of PD's design philosophy, which to me has always been the realism of the cars and the connect between the driver and the road.

*edit* case in point- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L023Gxp4pWM

ShapeGSX

RSTEIN said:
Yeah. It's like Gears of War or something (which looks hideous in screenshots). The only way to appreciate the graphical splendor of either game is to watch direct feed video. It's easy to come up with crappy shots of both GT5:p and Forza. If one watches direct feed footage of either game then the quick conclusion is that they both look amazing. This whole thread is a screenshot war yet screens do neither game any justice.

One screenshot represents 1/60th of a second. Really, you don't ever just see one screen shot at a time when the game is in motion.

A paused DVR shows all sort of artifacts that you don't see when the video is in motion. A paused screen might show you blur from a camera pan that looked razor sharp while in motion.

Haunted

To be fair, 5 years of waiting without a new installment of your favourite franchise can get to people.

It's normal.

avaya

Haunted said:
To be fair, 5 years of waiting without a new installment of your favourite franchise can get to people.

It's normal.

Yes I have been waiting for years to get a proper sequel to Ace Combat 5 but the bastards keep on wasting their time fiddling with gadgets from the fruit-themed maker.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Haunted said:

It's normal.
At least we've had small helpings.......... :(

Can't come soon enough.

avaya said:

Am I doing it right?

Am I crazy to say that i agree with 90% of what he said? I mean, in all honesty, i really do. I think this thread is making me afraid of my own critical opinions.

MrPliskin said:
:lol

They always come out when a new sim racer hits.

Please describe to us what it is that feels "better". Why not tell us what "high po" vehicles you've driven, taken to the limit, lost traction, regained traction, etc, with. Please?

In the end, I could tell you I was an F1 Racer and it really wouldn't mean squat to you or anyone else. You're cynicism is quite clear already and I have nothing to prove to you. Like I said, opinions are already made up in this troll fest and nothing I say will change anything. Fact has no positioning here.

This thread is entirely entertaining though. I guess that is the only thing it can be at this point.

Dra-Q

Banned
fastford58 said:
What in hell does that have to do with racing experience? Am I missing something?

Honor and Shame are huge parts of the Sim-Racing genre
big_smug_grin837-1.png

cgcg

theignoramus said:
Chespace just responded to the photomode scandal in a different thread.
This is his statement on the matter.

did not mean to mislead or 'play dumb' with earlier statements as I misunderstood how LODs were being used in the various modes.

There's really no bigger graphics junkie than myself at Turn 10

Yeeaaa....no

It only took people one day with the demo to find out it's not true. How long has he been playing the game?

KHarvey16 said:
I don't know why you're even allowed to continue posting this kind of stuff. You've been told countless times that the article written on the TG site was done by a freelancer with no experience with games or racing.
From The Sunday Times
August 7, 2005
Gran Turismo 4
Pass the joystick, sonny, this is the future of driving
Jeremy Clarkson

did you read that?

h3ro

GT5P is only $25 on Amazon and does offer plenty of stuff to do when compared to a regular d/l demo, lets not exaggerate too much.

FrankT

deepbrown said:
Destructoid's take.

http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-09-forza-motorsport-3-vs-gran-turismo-5-149770.phtml

Lol?

Graphics: Winner, Forza 3? Lol?

And then the talk about there's "No damage, Gran Turismo doesn't do that." - Does he read news? Did he see GamesCom?

Pointless article is pointless and unresearched.

Seems pretty legit to me considering he judged both on what he experienced.

Overall:
I'm a big Gran Turismo fan, so it was a bit of a surprise to me that the Forza Motorsport 3 demo did more for me. Things like damage modeling and background art aside, it was the superb control and high level of accessibility that won me over. Forza 3 was just more fun. More impressive. Of course, this is not to say that Gran Turismo 5 isn't a good game. It will be great, I'm sure, but Forza 3 show floor demo has me wanting to race again. I need to get me one of these three-screen setups too.

This says it all though.

Firewire

Banned
Ultimo hombre said:
Why post in a thread about comparisons when you can't tell the difference between prerendered video and direct feed gameplay?
I claimed neither, just gave a link to the source, whats your point anyways?

Firewire

Banned
Scottlarock said:
why 2010? scared of forza? (last post being a opposite GT troll, I did it for giggles, but forza is the better game)
You sound butt hurt because GT5P is better than your F3. Its ok though I'm sure F4 will give GT5P a run for its money! :0

Ashes

Banned
Shining Sunshine said:
And I think it sold more than Forza 2 in Euro if I recall an article about it.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html
Added a few things but note prologue in Europe....

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (North America) 820 2008/04/15
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 2,330 2008/03/28
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Asia) 100 2008/02/15
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 690 2007/12/13
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Europe) 6,360 2005/03/09
GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America) 2,970 2005/02/22
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Asia) 170 2004/12/28
2005/03/10**
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Japan) 1,260 2004/12/28
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Europe) 410 2004/05/26
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Asia) 160 2003/12/04
2004/01/15**
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Japan) 790 2003/12/04

forza 2 is also said to have sold 4 million overall, but I can't get a good source on that sorry.. can't see how much it did in Europe...

edit: note can and can't are easy typos. fixed...Sorry about that...

DeadGzuz

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
forza 2 is also said to have sold 4 million overall, but I can get a good source on that sorry.. can't see how much it did in Europe...

I got mine in a bundle, I'm sure another 2 million people did ;)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Got my Live Gold on sale at Future Shop for 49 bucks! time to download this demo and see what all the hullabaloo is all about.

jaypah

:lol people are snapping.

i wonder if this shit will be as bad once GT5 has been out for a while. i'd like to think that at that point everyone will be off playing some good ol' sim racing . but it's nice to want things.

bishoptl said:
Got my Live Gold on sale at Future Shop for 49 bucks! time to download this demo and see what all the hullabaloo is all about.

interested to hear your impression. personally i find it pretty fun if a little easier than F2. i spazzed out and ate dirt a lot in F2 with assist off.

Yoboman

Why is it so hard for Polyphony to get the impact physics right? Nevermind actual damage, why are they like bumper cars? Why does hitting a wall straighten your line rather than actually feeling like an impact?

I mean all it really requires is a shaky cam and stopping the car and you'd have a subtle effect that's better than what they have now.

K' Dash

Maybe this is not the proper thread, but we're trolling here so:

Fuck NFS Shift, it is the worst crap ever made, broken physics, horrible controls, default control options broken too, long as fuck loading times, bullshit AI, stupid objectives (spin 4 cars in a single race what the FUCK is this shit?), upgraded cars feel like driving them on an ice lake, no grip at all, how the fuck did EA ship this bitch?

The game looks gorgeus, but that's it, the rest is pure crap, wasted like 20 hours of my precious time, not EVER buying anything with NFS on the box.

FUCK EA.

Has been confirmed that in the FINAL version of Forza they won't use the MENU car models?

Ashes

Banned
K' Dash said:
The game looks gorgeus, but that's it, the rest is pure crap, wasted like 20 hours of my precious time, not EVER buying anything with NFS on the box.
FUCK EA.

can't even troll or fake troll properly...

Pimpbaa

K' Dash said:
Fuck NFS Shift, it is the worst crap ever made, broken physics, horrible controls, default control options broken too, long as fuck loading times, bullshit AI, stupid objectives (spin 4 cars in a single race what the FUCK is this shit?), upgraded cars feel like driving them on an ice lake, no grip at all, how the fuck did EA ship this bitch?

I agree with everything except what you said about the graphics. I think the game looks fucking terrible. Especially considering it's only running at 30fps.

Insertia

K' Dash said:
Maybe this is not the proper thread, but we're trolling here so:

FUCK EA.

Has been confirmed that in the FINAL version of Forza they won't use the MENU car models?

I think Shift is awesome. Visually impressive, fun AI, aggressive racing, damage better than any racer coming out this year, immersive races (rare for racing games). But yeah, something about the way it controls are shit.

Iknos

Firewire said:
I know! I was just proving that stupid remarks only lead to even more stupidity.

I understand your point...but I think his point was the exact same and you probably didn't realize that.

Insertia

Pimpbaa said:
I agree with everything except what you said about the graphics. I think the game looks fucking terrible. Especially considering it's only running at 30fps.

On PC, Shift gives Forza 3 a run for its money visually.

K' Dash

Pimpbaa said:

Yeah, well I think it's not that bad, but I have to agree with the 30fps, I forgot about the bullshit drifting events, the most frustrating shit drifting ever made in a racing game, I spent so much time trying to understand it but I couldn't.

Top Bottom