• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

bj00rn_

Banned
felipepl said:
Well, you won't have to wait too long... March 2010.
Taking Prologue as an example... that's basically how it will look with less AA.

:lol :lol :lol

...And uh, yes: I have GT5P, I fucking bought a fucking piece of shit PS3 for that fucking piece of shit demo.

don't worry, I'm just trying out how it is to be an eight year old fanboy like the rest of you sorry fuckers. I fucking love PD - And Turn10, can't wait for either of their games

Afrikan

Interfectum said:
Wow wow wow

where is this from, damnit! LINK????:lol

also has anyone seen this video. it was uploaded Sept. 18th

GT5 Prologue 720p quality test 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG3GBTiiMM&feature=related

GT5p looks f'n amazing in this video....there is no racing game on any platform (including PC & Arcade) that looks this good, going by this video........imo

seriously, is there?

edit- just to clarify, so no one else tries to hurt my feelings, I am talking more about the in-car view portions of that video... I know the other replay views are enhanced.

eso76

TheSeks said:
Other racing games at least let you be able to take turns with the controller. No such luck with Forza 2 unless you jump to 10-30 MPH. Good luck winning races like that.

Wow. This is getting ridiculous.

You see, every game has an active variable steering range when using a pad, which changes according to your car's speed. Heck, most modern cars do too.

Since neither GT nor Forza are 'parking simulators' you will only need to turn your wheel 90° (or more) when you're travelling below 30mph.

If you don't understand why is that, or if you think that somehow makes it impossible to take turns, then by all means, try turning your car's wheel 90° in either direction while driving above 40mphat with your car, assuming you have a driving license.

When you're done rolling over, you might start understanding why games (ALL GAMES) need to make a few adjustmentst to how much 'pushing your stick all the way in either direction' equals in terms of degrees of rotation applied to a hypothetical steering wheel. Racing games would be absolutely unplayable otherwise.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
John Wendl interview from Games Convention Asia, some interesting tidbit about the Fanatec wheel:
IGN AU/IGN Readers: What do you think of the Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel? One of our readers commented that he thinks the PS3 has better wheel options.

John Wendl: Well, there's a new wheel that we're introducing with Forza 3, and that's in partnership with Fanatec that makes the Porsche branded wheel. It's a premium wheel; it has 900 degree support, it has an H pattern shifter, a clutch pedal, and we have clutch control in the game as well, it has really high quality force feedback. In Forza – unlike other games – we separate force feedback and rumble. Typically, the physics simulators try to do everything through force feedback, and it doesn't work.

What we do is we simulate torque alignment on the front wheels, like when you're drifting or sliding, the front wheels want to track in a straight line, and we simulate the torque alignment with the force feedback of the wheel. We simulate traction with rumble, so when the rear wheels are breaking loose and starting to vibrate and scrub, we simulate that with rumble so you can feel traction with the rumble and torque alignment of the front wheel with feedback and it gives you a little bit better an experience to predict where the car is and how to catch it and that kind of thing.
And that combined with the new Fanatec wheel, I think is pretty cool.
More and more console games better start supporting the features of higher-end wheels. I expect at least the same from GT5, especially considering high-end Fanatec wheels have been PS3 compatible for quite some time now.

Posting in this thread makes me feel dirty, but I can't help it.

GT5's producer is contradicting himself in recent interviews. He says the game is finished from a 'take a car out and drive it' perspective. But, he also says there is still a lot of work left to be done in regards to damage and deformation. That doesn't sound like 'finished' to me.

He also calls damage a 'small' aspect and says GT will never include 'serious' crashes. In my opinion, a sim racer should give a little more attention to damage - a bad enough crash should prevent a player from finishing a race.

GT5 looks beautiful and I'm sure fans of the series will be thrilled. It just appears to me that several fans have been waiting a long time for damage, and Sony is going about in a half-assed way.

bj00rn_

Banned
Afrikan said:
where is this from, damnit! LINK????:lol

also has anyone seen this video. it was uploaded Sept. 18th

GT5 Prologue 720p quality test 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG3GBTiiMM&feature=related

GT5p looks f'n amazing in this video....there is no racing game on any platform (including PC & Arcade) that looks this good, going by this video........imo

seriously, is there?

It's a ***** replay, with added AA, AF, MAXED OUT LODS, SKYBOXES and VIGNETTES, what the hell are you talking about?? Post some videos from how it is when you actually play it or stop posting.

yeah; I'm still trying out the fanboy lifestyle, and I'm starting to understand why you guys, especially the SDF/Killzone gang, are doing this crap; it sure is entertaining.. But now sadly the experiment is over:( no more fanboy shit from me. So carrry on your crusade boys

Piggus

brendanrfoley said:

GT5's producer is contradicting himself in recent interviews. He says the game is finished from a 'take a car out and drive it' perspective. But, he also says there is still a lot of work left to be done in regards to damage and deformation. That doesn't sound like 'finished' to me.

He also calls damage a 'small' aspect and says GT will never include 'serious' crashes. In my opinion, a sim racer should give a little more attention to damage - a bad enough crash should prevent a player from finishing a race.

GT5 looks beautiful and I'm sure fans of the series will be thrilled. It just appears to me that several fans have been waiting a long time for damage, and Sony is going about in a half-assed way.

How can the part about damage contradict his first statement? If you think you need to wreck a car in order to fully take it out for a drive, I sure as hell hope I don't meet you on the road.

Piggus said:
How can the part about damage contradict his first statement? If you think you need to wreck a car in order to fully take it out for a drive, I sure as hell hope I don't meet you on the road.

Ha!

I thought his interview statements implied the on-track elements -- which includes damage -- of the game are done. I am having a hard time nailing down what the damage model in GT5 will look like and if it will impact car performance.

equap

Banned
Cheeto said:
The speedometer is a lie
941103_20090928_screen008.jpg

185km/h is 115mph, not that fast.

brendanrfoley said:
Ha!

I thought his interview statements implied the on-track elements -- which includes damage -- of the game are done. I am having a hard time nailing down what the damage model in GT5 will look like and if it will impact car performance.

Damage impacts car performance. He's saying damage will never look like real life car crashes where cars are burnt up and torn to pieces. No game will ever have anything like that.

Afrikan

bj00rn_ said:
It's a ***** replay, with added AA, AF, MAXED OUT LODS, SKYBOXES and VIGNETTES, what the hell are you talking about?? Post some videos from how it is when you actually play it or stop posting.

yeah; I'm still trying out the fanboy lifestyle, and I'm starting to understand why you guys, especially the SDF/Killzone gang, are doing this crap; it sure is entertaining.. But now sadly the experiment is over:( no more fanboy shit from me. So carrry on your crusade boys

well, actually I was looking past the obvious replay parts with the different camera angles and such....maybe I should have mentioned that....

I was more talking about the in-car view portions of that video......that is how the game looks when you are playing. I feel there is nothing that looks more realistic out there.....is it that crazy to believe so? or is it just fan-boyish....

Piggus

brendanrfoley said:
Ha!

I'm pretty sure he stated that it will and you'll be able to end the race if you hit something too hard. Reports from GC and TGS indicated that mechanical damage has already been implemented in some way. :D

Considering they've only had damage implemented for two months and they say that's what they're working the hardest on, it will be cool to see how it progresses.

brendanrfoley said:

For a typical driver, what percent of the thousands of hours they spend driving are spent crashing their cars?

How many are spent just driving.

Exactly.

This is why Kaz says damage is a very small part of the driving experience overall.

There is nothing wrong with being fascinated by glorious crashes. But a game like Burnout is a much better venue for that kind of stimulation.

Piggus

bj00rn_ said:

What would be even more riveting is if YOU posted a video of what you think looks better. ;p

brendanrfoley said:
Thanks Piggus -- I was afraid to take a 'critical' sounding question into the main thread.

Haha no problem. I can't blame you. :lol

shuyin_

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
[...]no more fanboy shit from me.[...]
bj00rn_ said:
[...]you guys, especially the SDF/Killzone gang[...]
Does not compute :p

brendanrfoley said:

First of all, there is no contradiction in what PD dev said :) Seriously, read it again. And again. And you'll notice there's no contradiction.
2ndly, let me see if i got this right: you start your post by pointing a contradiction that isn't exactly a contradiction :)
Then you continue with your opinions on how GT isn't really a real sim racer as it doesn't have a 'serious' damage model.
And in your last paragraph you felt the need to point that GT fans have been lied/deceived by Sony regarding damage.

You were totally impartial; i want to hear more :p
funny thing is i agree with you on the damage thing. GT should have a serious damage model. But the way you worded your post makes you look like one of those guys that just wanted to stealthily badmouth GT :)

bj00rn_ said:

I love the fact that every post of your comes with a spoiler tag disagreeing with whatever you say. Trying to avoid a ban??

XiaNaphryz

shuyin_ said:
Does not compute :p
Wait, to call someone out as a fanboy makes one a fanboy themselves? Is that how it's supposed to work now? I can never keep the GAF memos on these policies straight as things keep changing... ;)

If you didn't figure out what he meant, he was making a joke fanboy-ish style post. Hence his comment about stopping.

bj00rn_

Banned
Afrikan said:
well, actually I was looking past the obvious replay parts with the different camera angles and such....maybe I should have mentioned that....

I was more talking about the in-car view portions of that video......that is how the game looks when you are playing. I feel there is nothing that looks more realistic out there.....is it that crazy to believe so? or is it just fan-boyish....

No it isn't. GT5 looks great even without replay effects, period. And so does Forza 3. ..Just in their own two ways. And then add features in and out of racing into the equation and I'll have a great time both sides of this coming winter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PuppetMaster said:
No it says km/h
It looks to me that the photo posted lists both mp/h and km/h ala most cars sold in the US. The GT screenshot only shows km/h (notice the lack of orange numbers beneath the white?).

shuyin_

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Wait, to call someone out as a fanboy makes one a fanboy themselves? Is that how it's supposed to work now? I can never keep the GAF memos on these policies straight as things keep changing... ;)

If you didn't figure out what he meant, he was making a joke fanboy-ish style post. Hence his comment about stopping.
So, by analogy, if one makes a trolling-the-other-game style post and adds a spoiler saying 'heh, i was just trying trolling mode, but i'm done now...So carrry on your crusade boys' means he's not really a troll?

Very mature... I can definitely see your point now :p
Maybe i should start badmouthing other games and just add a spoiler saying 'i'm just trying the troll's lifestyle' at the end. You sir, are a genius :p

XiaNaphryz

PuppetMaster said:
No it says km/h
Speaking of lies... :lol
shuyin_ said:
So, by analogy, if one makes a trolling-the-other-game style post and adds a spoiler saying 'heh, i was just trying trolling mode, but i'm done now...So carrry on your crusade boys' means he's not really a troll?

Very mature... I can definitely see your point now :p
Maybe i should start badmouthing other games and just add a spoiler saying 'i'm just trying the troll's lifestyle' at the end. You sir, are a genius :p
Have you been following this thread at all? :lol

What are you guys even arguing about? In the GT shot of the 370Z it's clearly marked KPH. Not to mention 4th gear in a 370Z isn't going to take you to 180MPH :lol

Low max unit speedometers are very common in JDM cars as almost all of them are governed to speeds that low. Even sports cars.

Cheeto

Valkyr Junkie said:
What are you guys even arguing about? In the GT shot of the 370Z it's clearly marked KPH. Not to mention 4th gear in a 370Z isn't going to take you to 180MPH :lol

Low max unit speedometers are very common in JDM cars as almost all of them are governed to speeds that low. Even sports cars.
kph gauge doesn't look like that...that's the point. It's the MPH gauge with KPH written on it.
This is a crime almost as bad as Forza 3's inaccurate mapping of taillight LEDs. We, as consumers cannot stand for this blatant disregard for detail. Damnit now both my pre-orders are canceled.

shpankey

not an idiot
Doc Evils said:
Mad? hardly, I find it rather humorous how people can support such a developer that lies through its teeth. It makes it more interesting when these are the same people that are the type to call to arms when other companies lie.
If we were relegated to only truthful developers, we wouldn't have any games to play. All PR lie and stretch the truth. Get over it already. It's not like they haven't put a demo out there before the game even comes out to let people decide if they want it or not. How are you "tricked" again? The people taking a stand on this are only fanboys deluding themselves.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
:O @ GT5 Ferrari photo mode pic. Look at the motherfucking taillights and the carbon fiber engine, just look at them!

Top Bottom