• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

One comparison that hasn't been made yet: sound. Engine, transmission and tire sounds specifically. I only know GT4 and Forza 2 first hand, and Forza won hands down.

Anyone got clips with high quality sound for GT5P and Forza3 Demo?

Cheeto

Wow, yes I know what an electronic limit is. :lol Is there a wiki entry where Japan law said that all speedometers musn't exceed 180 kph?

equap

Banned
Cheeto said:
Wow, yes I know what an electronic limit is. :lol Is there a wiki entry where Japan law said that all speedometers musn't exceed 180 kph?
you don't compute? you don't see the correlation between the speedometer and Japan national highway speed limit?

With regards to those Shift/Forza 3 pics some pages back. Something really bugs me. The Shift Zonda F looked pretty nicely done, with good dimensions all round (and as I've played Shift I can say it looks pretty good). The Forza 3 Zonda (though a different model - the short lived C12 - you can tell because of its painted single span rear wing) looks vastly different. I noticed this in Forza 2 and it looks like they haven't corrected this. It just wrong in its dimensions and its performance with only 402bhp. Yet in the game it was an S class car. So what about the Zonda F (if it is in Forza 3), what will its class be?

equap said:

Wow, driving in Japan sucks!!!

jakonovski said:
One comparison that hasn't been made yet: sound. Engine, transmission and tire sounds specifically. I only know GT4 and Forza 2 first hand, and Forza won hands down.

Anyone got clips with high quality sound for GT5P and Forza3 Demo?

We will have to wait for the final games to make a fair comparison. Engine wise, Shift ist my favourite choice right now.

Cheeto

equap said:
you don't compute? you don't see the correlation between the speedometer and Japan national highway speed limit?
No I don't see the correlation between what you posted and what we're discussing...so I ignored it. I was responding to the other guy.

Speaking of ear ripping rackets, that's exactly what performance cars should have. Anyone who's ever spectated a car race will understand (touring cars for me).

ShapeGSX

jakonovski said:
That's the turbo blowoff valve or whatever it's called.

Yes, it is a blow off valve or compressor bypass valve. When you let off the gas, the throttle plate slams shut and the turbo is still going full tilt. The pressure build up in the pipe between the turbo compressor and the throttle plate is opened both by that pressure and the vacuum in the manifold. The sound you hear is the pressurized air escaping through the valve.

I'm glad they added stuff like that to Forza. It sounds great. You can hear the turbo whine on the Evo, too.

You can barely hear the blow off valve on the car next to mine in this video (mine is the gray one in the far lane). My car doesn't make the sound because I don't let up on the throttle when I shift at the drag strip. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKqII6R4F4

ShapeGSX said:
Yes, it is a blow off valve or compressor bypass valve. When you let off the gas, the throttle plate slams shut and the turbo is still going full tilt. The pressure build up in the pipe between the turbo compressor and the throttle plate is opened both by that pressure and the vacuum in the manifold. The sound you hear is the pressurized air escaping through the valve.

I'm glad they added stuff like that to Forza. It sounds great. You can hear the turbo whine on the Evo, too.

You can barely hear the blow off valve on the car next to mine in this video (mine is the gray one in the far lane). My car doesn't make the sound because I don't let up on the throttle when I shift at the drag strip. :)

Nice video and an even nicer segue. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
ShapeGSX said:

Speaking of this, just wanted to say, shouldn't most people not use BOV's? I know on my Speed 3, I use an aftermarket forged BPV. I've always understood that BOV's can make you lose performance and/or mess up the way it runs a bit (nothing bad, but like some back-firing or popping from the exhaust). I know people love the sound of BOV's but you can still get that sound by getting something like a Short Ram Intake. With the COBB SRI and Turbosmart BPV, mine is loud as hell. :lol

belvedere

Junior Butler
shpankey said:
Speaking of this, just wanted to say, shouldn't most people not use BOV's? I know on my Speed 3, I use an aftermarket forged BPV. I've always understood that BOV's can make you lose performance and/or mess up the way it runs a bit (nothing bad, but like some back-firing or popping from the exhaust). I know people love the sound of BOV's but you can still get that sound by getting something like a Short Ram Intake. With the COBB SRI and Turbosmart BPV, mine is loud as hell. :lol

Depends on the application. There's also a recirculation mechanism on certain bov's (HKS SSQV is one) and customized valves to prevent boost leaks. I've had a SSQV on my WRX without any problems.

commedieu

Banned
Interfectum said:
Wow Forza 3's final destruction - I think we can close this thread now

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/56838

Bu bu bu it's all CG :lol

forza3face.jpg

nib95

Banned
Cheeto said:
Ya, that clearly says MPH

Obviously not clear enough Cheeto...since you know...you clearly can't make it out!

On a side note, the Ferrari Italia in those GT5 gameplay vids needs more base/roar. Sounds a tiny bit whiny for my liking. Which I appreciate due to the high rpm's, but still, needs a bit of boom to accompany it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
GuessWho said:
Graphics: GT5 > Forza 3
Everything Else: Forza 3 > GT5
Winner Forza 3. It's so simple.
Whoa, another dude that played both retail versions. "Everything Else" includes single player mode, career mode, online mode, garage, customization (cosmetic as well as mechanical), and etc... Tell me about each mode for each retail game and compare them to each other since you obviously played both retail games from your quote. Give me the juicy details please.

beast786

Kaako said:
Whoa, another dude that played both retail versions. "Everything Else" includes single player mode, career mode, online mode, garage, customization (cosmetic as well as mechanical), and etc... Tell me about each mode for each retail game and compare them to each other since you obviously played both retail games from your quote. Give me the juicy details please.

I think he is comparing PS2 version of GT4 versus Forza 3(Since thats all we have played). Atleast the graphics part.

Ok.. I keed. :D

Cheeto

Always-honest said:
i think everybody kinda knew...

anyway... it's all nice, but we don't even look at that the speedometer while racing
Speak for yourself, I look at the speedometer, the tailights, my vehicle model, the tinted windows, the drivers arm, and even the spectators in the crowd....all at the same time.

iceatcs

Cheeto said:
Great, now can we agree that the Gt5 pic had the wrong speedometer?
Mindblown, If it is really mistook then they didn't just taken a photo on speedometer and put in the game. They made it from scratch WOW.

Cheeto said:
Great, now can we agree that the Gt5 pic had the wrong speedometer?

The speed it was reading out (185kph) matches what it should be given the engine revs and gear the car is in. Look at the shot of the Fairlady Z34 hosted on that Aussie site, the JDM car's speedometer reads out KPH only, and in white. Plenty of JDM sports cars have speedometers that only go up to 180-190 kph because that is the speed the cars are governed to; even GTRs.

Iknos

GuessWho said:
Graphics: GT5 > Forza 3
Everything Else: Forza 3 > GT5
Winner Forza 3. It's so simple.

PD is upgrading the physics in GT5 so in areas like physics it won't be as clear cut.

You're going to have to wait until both games are out before coming to any conclusion otherwise you are just like the crazy posters in this thread.

Cheeto

Valkyr Junkie said:
The speed it was reading out (185kph) matches what it should be given the engine revs and gear the car is in. Look at the shot of the Fairlady Z34 hosted on that Aussie site, the JDM car's speedometer reads out KPH only, and in white. Plenty of JDM sports cars have speedometers that only go up to 180-190 kph because that is the speed the cars are governed to; even GTRs.
Really?
nissan-skyline-gtr-2009-rhd-interior.jpg

Just because there is an electronic limiter doesn't mean that that has to be the max on the speed too. I've posted a pic of what the kph speedometer looks like. Besides, GTRs have a limiter disabler that allows you to break 180 kph when you're at a track.

Edit: and jesus fucking christ before anyone says anything...the GTR pic is a KPH layout

Cheeto said:
Really?
http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/nissan/2009-nissan-skyline-gtr/nissan-skyline-gtr-2009-rhd-interior.jpg[img]

Just because there is an electronic limiter doesn't mean that that has to be the max on the speed too. I've posted a pic of what the kph speedometer looks like. Besides, GTRs have a limiter disabler that allows you to break 180 kph when you're at a track.

Edit: and jesus fucking christ before anyone says anything...the GTR pic is a KPH layout[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the fact that all GTRs (going back since the R32) have low governors, not that their speedometers are always restricted to such a low number. I've pulled apart plenty of JDM front clips, low speedometer maxes are the norm. Think Buick Regal T-Type.

Iknos said:
PD is upgrading the physics in GT5 so in areas like physics it won't be as clear cut.

You're going to have to wait until both games are out before coming to any conclusion otherwise you are just like the crazy posters in this thread.

Physics was never really Forza's strong point at all. Never was. People just hold onto that because PD has them beat in graphics. Collisions; even that isn't true to real collisions, everything is debateable. Paint scraps, rollovers, you call that true defining life like physics?

And yes, I have played the Forza Motorsport 3 demo a couple of times now and as I stated, Forza 3 physics are no better then GT5: P We can argue back and forth, but everything related to physics can be argued back and forth.

I have seen you in this thread and I still think your a Forza Motorsport fanboy by far including Jb00rn and KHarvey which love calling out the other side (GT fans) but one hides under a veiled by calling himself a huge GT fan and the other "I'm correcting all and any bs claims" but all you ever see him do in this thread is defending Forza, that's all. You never see him in this thread ONCE defending GT albeit there were a lot of bullshit claims made against GT. Fucking idiotic hypocrites.

Yes, I'm a GT fan.

KHarvey16

FortunateSon said:
I have seen you in this thread and I still think your a Forza Motorsport fanboy by far including Jb00rn and KHarvey which love calling out the other side (GT fans) but one hides under a veiled by calling himself a huge GT fan and the other "I'm correcting all and any bs claims" but all you ever see him do in this thread is defending Forza, that's all. You never see him in this thread ONCE defending GT albeit there were a lot of bullshit claims made against GT. Fucking idiotic hypocrites.

Yes, I'm a GT fan.

I'll give you the same answer I gave someone else: forgive me for focusing on the huge gaping chasm letting the water flood in and ignoring the tiny drip in the corner. This thread is Sony/GT troll central and denying that requires some kind of strange delusion.

And you accusing Iknos is fucking hilarious.

Iknos

FortunateSon said:
Physics was never really Forza's strong point at all. Never was. People just hold onto that because PD has them beat in graphics. Collisions; even that isn't true to real collisions, everything is debateable. Paint scraps, rollovers, you call that true defining life like physics?

And yes, I have played the Forza Motorsport 3 demo a couple of times now and as I stated, Forza 3 physics are no better then GT5: P We can argue back and forth, but everything related to physics can be argued back and forth.

Yes, I'm a GT fan.

Wrong on every point.

-Physics was one of Forza's strongest point. FM1 and FM2 didn't have spectacular graphics or a wide assortment of tracks to choose from...but it had very good physics that did more than what the GT series did but not quite as much as PC sims. FM2 dealt with tire temperatures and we hear from recent interviews that GT5 will soon include that feature as well. At the same time FM3 takes it a step further and looks not only at the surface tire temperature but also the internal gas temperature of the tire which affects tire pressure as it heats up. Indications are that FM3 will remain one step ahead.

-People "hold on to physics" because it matters to them. Believe it or not some sim racing fans like their physics.

-About collisions we've already talked about in this very thread how much more realistic FM's collisions are to GTs and I've already discussed that PD aims to improve the physics in GT5. You can claim that the collisions aren't superior in Forza but without any evidence your statement is completely meaningless. Everyone who has played both games both online and offline will agree to this.

-Ever since Gran Turismo 1 I've seen cars being locked to a 15 degree incline because manufacturers would never allow them to rollover. Yes...rolling over is more true to life than being artificially locked at a certain pitch or roll.

-I've been defending Forza because it's been the only thing attacked with some outrageously incorrect crazy remarks. There is no need for me to defend GT because that isn't the point of this thread. The point is to troll Forza and I have come in when the trolling got ridiculous.

Do you remember how GT:HD looked like before it got it's lighting system? It was shown and considered to be running on the PS3 but it looked fairly ugly.

I haven't seen one pro-FM poster post a pic of that.

Yet we have seen posters here post a pic of FM2 before it's lighting was finished and claimed that is how the final product looked.

The level of stupidity in this thread is very very one sided and the "GT fans" here are holding that crown. I put "GT fans" in quotes because they really don't appreciate GT for anything other than it's visuals. They don't put in hundreds of hours into the game and collect the cars because if they really did they would appreciate and look forward to other PC and console sims. They would want to experience tracks like Spa found in sims like Supercar Challenge or want to be upgrade their cars with real world brand parts like in Forza Motorsport.

If these trolls really did play that much GT they would know that rollover is a welcome addition to console racing sims because they themselves have seen many instances in GT where the car should have flipped over but it was locked to a maximum pitch/roll/yaw angle because of manufacturer's constraints.

I digress...the point is I'm only responding to stupidity here. If you observe that in the end I seem to be responding to the trolls on Forza...then it says much more about which side is behaving in a nonsensical manner.

Interfectum

FortunateSon said:
Physics was never really Forza's strong point at all. Never was. People just hold onto that because PD has them beat in graphics.

Nailed it.

If Forza 3 physics are considered some kind of gold standard then I'll quit racing games altogether.

fm3235.gif

fm3dog438.gif

Top Bottom