• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

eso76

Akira said:
My take on the trailers: GT5 has much better
music.

that's true, and one of the things which show PD different/better 'artistic' skills.
also that trailer sold me a london elektricity lp, like i said elsewhere.

dejan

shinnn said:
No, it's not. Even worse. I never seen this in prologue.

2cx6kw8.gif
:lol

Danielsan

Not sure if it has been asked before but can someone tell me what the song is in the GT5 Ferrari video? I absolutely love it.
Polyphony sure knows how to create stunning videos with excellent soundtracks.

Forza 3's Ferrari video is definitely in-game. No questions asked. The video also looks very much like a video game trailer. Turn 10 is an extremely technically skilled team when it comes to gameplay, features and physics simulation but Polyphony has them beat tenfold when it comes to presentation. They just have special kind of love for the beauty of cars and it shows. Polyphony's video is just a joy to watch.

skybaby

Redbeard said:
Forza 3's physics have already been destroyed by the experts at Top Gear so not sure why the Turn 10 fanatics keep bringing that up as a plus point :lol

http://i30.tinypic.com/i35cfk.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Fuck magic carpets, we now have flying cars! The delorean must be in Che! I demand! :lol

who the fuck are those people stood on that magic carpet?

they look a lot like impostors to me.

and is it really fair to quote an entity that has exclusive ties to GT5?

can't wait to drive the top gear test track.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gutterboy44 said:
This. Racing sims must be played with a wheel, and the G25 is the best one on the market.
Are you serious? Or are you only referring to the console market, in which case it's still not true?

eso76

phil_t said:
To be fair, the GT5p screen shots are of the highest LOD model, with DOF added (even if it's real time).. FM photomode can add DOF/Blur and AA, so actually comparing both is pretty valid IMO.. since when actually racing, both games drop to much lower LOD's when the cars are further away/more cars on screen, more scenery etc, etc, etc..

but those shots are from replay, right ? i don't think fm3 ever uses the highest lod, even during replays. From what i've seen anyway.

Danielsan said:
Not sure if it has been asked before but can someone tell me what the song is in the GT5 Ferrari video? I absolutely love it.
Polyphony sure knows how to create stunning videos with excellent soundtracks.

London Elektricity - Just One Second (Apex Remix)

Zoink

Jostifer said:
1080p native vs 720p native
1000cars vs 400cars
Polyphony modeling standard (future proofed) vs lower T10 modeling standard
16cars on track vs 8cars
Godly Polyphony lightning engine
WRC & Nascar licenses
Rally racing
Head tracking

Well, buying both of them, but this is a big factor to me:

642.1.0.jpg

m0dus said:
Oh, and since you people love pic comparisons so much:

Cover art is preliminary for the 2 disc set:

Covers look awesome - looking forward to the tunes, loved the WiPeOuT tracks!

Pug

Experts at Top Gear:lol

Serioulsy its a comic book programme, there are no experts. Their reviews are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Keikoku

Banned
So this is basically the FM3 trolling thread. Nicely done SDF. Annoying fanboys already turned this thread at what they wanted it to be.

KHarvey16

The full preview/impressions from Top Gear, just for reference:

Top Gear said:
The Gran Turismo series has something of a stranglehold on the more serious side of the driving game market. It claims to be The Real Driving Simulator, and a lot of people would agree that it's The Daddy. But GT5's unconfirmed and rather mysterious release date has slipped back to December, and it could end up arriving even later than that. So Forza Motorsport 3 might have a bit of a hill to climb if it wants to be The New Daddy, but it could have something of a head-start.

Choosing the Nurburgring as the venue for the Forza 3 press launch had given us the inkling that they weren't exactly going down the Mario Kart route of realism with this game, and this was confirmed when we were treated to a presentation by a Microsoft spokesman.

Anyone doubting Forza's commitment to realism would have been put in their place with talk of his team's excitement about the "dynamic tire flex and load sensitivity". We're fairly sure that's a good thing, as is the fact that there are "10 times more polygons per car" which, according to our technical advisers, translates roughly as "the cars all look better than the ones in the last game". And as there are 400 of said cars... well, that sounds like a lot of polygons.

We were also driven by Potential Female F1 Star (and now Face of Forza) Natacha Gachnang in an Audi R8 V10, on a real piece of tarmac, which was nice. She was fairly insistent about the game's realism - in fact, she told us how she "got to test the circuit out before the race at Le Mans a few weeks ago, and ended up with a third-place podium finish". So, there's proof that the game can turn you into a real-life racing star.

What with us being at the Nordschleife and all, we obviously had to do a bit of actual, real driving ourselves. It would have been rude not to. Although we couldn't do a Clarkson-with-an-NSX-at-Laguna-Seca-learn-the-track-virtually-and-then-see-how-you-get-on-actually-driving style of test, because the track driving was all over before we got to play the game. Oh well. Maybe we can organise that when Forza 4 comes out.

Suitably excited, we were let loose on the game. The graphics proved to be impressive, on the whole, if not quite photo-realistically breathtaking. The Ferrari 599 trying to overtake alongside, with a rather lush valley as a backdrop, was fairly striking. But then, we probably don't all play games at home on three plasma TVs, side by side.

The lush valley in question was fictitious, as the game features a mixture of tracks that are designed to look as spectacular as possible, along with real ones. The development team spent three days at the Nurburgring while they were modelling it, and the in-game version did look pretty detailed. Apparently they spent some time driving around the track in golf carts, which sounds like fun. We couldn't find any golf carts in the game, but we weren't able to access all 400 cars at this stage, so who knows?

Forza's colour-coded racing-line guide (there's probably a catchier official title for it) provides a constant reference of the ideal line and braking points, and if you follow it closely, you'll hardly crash at all. Although it can start to feel like a strange game of ‘follow the green line' rather than anything like actual driving, so you can turn all the assists off, and go back to crashing regularly if you want.

Actually, there's plenty of adjustability thanks to the amount of assists you can choose, or not, so it seems there'll be a difficulty level most people new to the game can find themselves comfortable with. You can always rewind the race if things get a bit out of hand, but that did feel a bit (or a lot) like cheating.

When things go a bit pear-shaped, the impacts feel nice and solid. But strangely enough, when things are going smoothly, it can feel a bit too, well, smooth. It almost feels like you're driving some kind of magic carpet, hovering just above the track itself. A real feeling of movement and feedback is difficult for a game to accurately create, admittedly, but we couldn't help but feel slightly detached.

So it seems that Forza 3 is aiming to be a hardcore simulator - there are ways of making it easy enough for pretty much anyone to cope with, but it feels that it would be too serious to ever invite hooligans to go powersliding around the place in outrageous plumes of smoke. Well, we tried doing that, and just crashed a lot.

Forza wants to be The Definitive Racing Game. We should probably wait until we get a longer go before we decide whether that has been achieved. Rest assured, we'll always be completely unbiased, even if GT5 does have the Top Gear test track...

antiloop said:
Shorter development time or a lot more cars for GT6. ;)

Needed IMO.
Turn 10 also has extremely high poly models for use in homespace and menu's etc, so you can say that they are future proof too :D

m0dus

Banned
Redbeard said:
Forza 3's physics have already been destroyed by the experts at Top Gear so not sure why the Turn 10 fanatics keep bringing that up as a plus point :lol

Ah, Top Gear.

Are these the same "experts" that slapped a Shelby GT 500 on a rolling roadway, then 'lamented' when the wheel-to-road horsepower was slightly less than the same measurement at the crankshaft, somehow making the '500' stamp 'false'? Because if they can't grasp the high-school physics concepts which entail the loss of energy in the transmission of force from the engine to the road in real life, I don't think they'd have shit to say about it in a video game.

And is it the same Top Gear that has exclusive involvement with GT5, including featuring their test track and streaming episodes into the game?

Because, you know, I'd put about as much stock in their objectivity as I would listening to Major Nelson bitching about Gran Turismo. :lol

Akira

eso76 said:
that's true, and one of the things which show PD different/better 'artistic' skills.
also that trailer sold me a london elektricity lp, like i said elsewhere.

Yup, I was going to add that PD's trailer definitely had better cinematography and editing. :D

Landin did a great job on the FM3 Ferrari trailer too, but he's overused that out to in focus effect to reveal a car (also seen in the Dreams Vol. 1 and Veyron trailers) or feature (in the E3 reveal, they used that effect to reveal cockpits in FM3).

Doc Evils

Pug said:
Experts at Top Gear:lol

Serioulsy its a comic book programme, there are no experts. Their reviews are about as much use a chocolate fireguard.

wtf.:lol

I'm sure you know more than Jeremy Clarkson.:lol

Keikoku

Banned
m0dus said:
Ah, Top Gear.

Are these the same "experts" that slapped a Shelby Mustang GT500 on a rolling roadway, then 'lamented' when the wheel-to-road horsepower was slightly less than the same measurement at the crankshaft, somehow making the '500' stamp 'false'? Because if they can't grasp the high-school physics concepts which entail the loss of energy in the transmission of force from the engine to the road in real life, I don't think they'd have shit to say about it in a video game.

And is it the same Top Gear that has exclusive involvement with GT5, including featuring their test track and streaming episodes into the game?

Because, you know, I'd put about as much stock in their objectivity as I would listening to Major Nelson bitching about Gran Turismo. :lol

Pretty much. But they are dismissing FM3 so they must be right !

Chinner

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
"rubber-banding," as it is so termed by reactionaries, is actually a way to help the third world (racers who did not start out early or get good items, as opposed to the racers in front, who are nations which regressed through industrialization and exploitation of natural resources of other nations through imperialism)

no other game includes this revolutionary thinking feature

put forza and gt against the wall for the sake of the mario kart juche
lets not forget that mario kart encourages friendship and teamwork. in double dash for example you have two people working together and helping each other out. and once its all over and done with, everyone drives around the map and just chill.

then you look at forza 3 and gt5, which encourage hatred and anger. it's capitalist system ENCOURAGES everyone to be dicks and hurt your fellow man, and the game never shows you who you're driving against because if knows if you see their face you'll become friends and be happy. funnily enough i was reading a research paper and it say that forza and gt are responsible for about 40% of real life car crashes.

when will they learn?

dejay

Banned
Keikoku said:
So this is basically the FM3 trolling thread. Nicely done SDF. Annoying fanboys already turned this thread at what they wanted it to be.

A - It's what it was always going to be

B - There's trolling and LOLing on both sides - there are no innocent victims here

C - This thread serves as a place to keep the other threads clean

D - It's very entertaining, don't get so butt hurt, it's only a game. Ignore the stupid posts and if you have an intelligent comeback to someone's point, use it. Other wise you're no better than them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Keikoku said:

Keikoku said:
I think this thread is dumb honestly.

Keikoku said:
Biased comparison is biased

Keikoku said:
ITT : sonyfans

Keikoku said:

Keikoku said:
Pretty much. But they are dismissing FM3 so they must be right !

Adding another notch in the ol' belt eh?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bishoptl said:
Konichiwa, bitches!

Bring it to either of the other threads as of 10:45am PST today and you're done until New Year's. Unless you're a junior, in which case you'll be permed.

Toodles!

OH GOD WHAT IS THIS I'M NOT VERY GOOD WITH THESE THREADS!

I'm of the opinion that Forza blew the fucking DOORS off GT since Forza 1 back on the Original X-box. For me, GT has a whole lot of catching up to do.

GT has:
Pretty cars
Simulation Mode with a map
Rallies
Intergration with PS Home (most likely)
Cockpit view that was introduced in Prologue, therefore jumping Forza into doing it.

Forza has:

Online mode for career (earn online credits for auction house buying, or buying from dealer)
NO FUCKING LICENSE MODE!
Forza 1... for me... still has the best driving physics in any game with cars I've played.
Forza 1 has... REAL TIME CAR DAMAGE, something it took GT 5 games to do.
Forza has a user customizable deep layer photoshop style car customization look system. GT5 (AFAIK) will not have this system and you only have dealer colors/no bells and whistles to truly "OWN" your car.
Point to Point (Rally, whatever you want to call them, Sprint? I'll go with Sprint since NFS:Underground 2 called them that) races, which was fucking dropped from Forza 2 much to my shame.

They're about even in terms of cars and shit, but for me Forza edges out in terms of physics, dropping bullshit license tests, and simluation driving phsyics/car damage effecting the driving of that car.

I'm waiting for GT5 to try to impress me with driving physics/car damage, but the only reason I'm interested in GT5 over Forza is the Top Gear Test Track for my own "Star in a Resonable Priced Car" laps. (Something Forza fans were BEGGING Turn 10 to get, but apparently the BBC inked a deal with Polyphony?)

And that's my only post in this thread. Frankly, they're both ho-hum for me in things because they both don't have point-to-point and want us to race circuits. If I wanted to do that, I'd buy a damn Nascar game. :|

(Forza 1 had sprints that made the game feel like I was just joyriding a car, which was nice, it's too bad there wasn't a whole lot of them and Forza 2 dropped them. :()

eso76

Keikoku said:

i don't think so, and i'm more of a forza guy.
so far this thread has been entertaining, and i believe most posts have an ironic tone, or that's how i'm reading them.

What i believe is most people in here, even fanboys, do have respect for both titles.
This is just for fun, while waiting for TGS to start :)

Also thread already provided one AWESOME photoshop, we should rejoyce it exists :D

Chinner said:
lets not forget that mario kart encourages friendship and teamwork. in double dash for example you have two people working together and helping each other out. and once its all over and done with, everyone drives around the map and just chill.

then you look at forza 3 and gt5, which encourage hatred and anger. it's capitalist system ENCOURAGES everyone to be dicks and hurt your fellow man, and the game never shows you who you're driving against because if knows if you see their face you'll become friends and be happy. funnily enough i was reading a research paper and it say that forza and gt are responsible for about 40% of real life car crashes.

when will they learn?
You two hippies can shove it. Go plant flowers and listen to some Phish or something

skybaby

dejay said:
D - It's very entertaining, don't get so butt hurt, it's only a game. Ignore the stupid posts and if you have an intelligent comeback to someone's point, use it. Other wise you're no better than them.
Nononono please do get butthurt! I'm here laughing my ass off at people taking this shit personal, keep them coming :lol

Keikoku said:

Well I think it comes down to this. Forza fans are likely also GT fans, if they are into driving sims, so they are likely to be more rational with criticism. Combined with the lure of free trolling for the sony fanboys it's not all that surprising to see how the thread is progressing...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Redbeard said:
Can't argue with the experts from the Forza 3 thread driving their mom's pickups :lol

His hate it or love it snap "feelings" on something are surely something to go by on.

Keikoku said:

You are by and far the most annoying fanboy on gaf. Not even close. Oh, and on the last page, I counted 10 xbots vs 5 PSfanboys, give or take 1-2. Someone enlighten me, is this guy a joke character or is he just retarded?

BeeDog

:lol Please PD, show something good tonight, I need to see Keikoku melt down even more. How the hell does a guy take his games that seriously? Wow. :lol

Cheeto

Chinner said:

when will they learn?
Don't you have a festival to not shower at or something?

TheSeks said:
OH GOD WHAT IS THIS I'M NOT VERY GOOD WITH THESE THREADS!

I'm of the opinion that Forza blew the fucking DOORS off GT since Forza 1 back on the Original X-box. For me, GT has a whole lot of catching up to do.

GT has:
Pretty cars
Simulation Mode with a map
Rallies
Intergration with PS Home (most likely)
Cockpit view that was introduced in Prologue, therefore jumping Forza into doing it.

Forza has:

Online mode for career (earn online credits for auction house buying, or buying from dealer)
NO FUCKING LICENSE MODE!
Forza 1... for me... still has the best driving physics in any game with cars I've played.
Forza 1 has... REAL TIME CAR DAMAGE, something it took GT 5 games to do.
Forza has a user customizable deep layer photoshop style car customization look system. GT5 (AFAIK) will not have this system and you only have dealer colors/no bells and whistles to truly "OWN" your car.
Point to Point (Rally, whatever you want to call them, Sprint? I'll go with Sprint since NFS:Underground 2 called them that) races, which was fucking dropped from Forza 2 much to my shame.

They're about even in terms of cars and shit, but for me Forza edges out in terms of physics, dropping bullshit license tests, and simluation driving phsyics/car damage effecting the driving of that car.

I'm waiting for GT5 to try to impress me with driving physics/car damage, but the only reason I'm interested in GT5 over Forza is the Top Gear Test Track for my own "Star in a Resonable Priced Car" laps. (Something Forza fans were BEGGING Turn 10 to get, but apparently the BBC inked a deal with Polyphony?)

And that's my only post in this thread. Frankly, they're both ho-hum for me in things because they both don't have point-to-point and want us to race circuits. If I wanted to do that, I'd buy a damn Nascar game. :|

(Forza 1 had sprints that made the game feel like I was just joyriding a car, which was nice, it's too bad there wasn't a whole lot of them and Forza 2 dropped them. :()

Point to point tracks/races are back in Forza 3, BTW.

Top Bottom