• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

But I didn't think the TX had FF?

You thought we were paying $400 for a non FF wheel..........................

2574901-1361589542722.gif

Maybe you were thinking of the spider wheel that sells for $100

en-INTL-PDP-XboxOne-Thrustmaster-Ferrari-458-Spider-Racing-Wheel-FLF-00249-Large.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
So my friend just had a brilliant idea. We should get together to create a new gold account and name it "M. Rossi" so that we could get a M.Rossi Drivatar. I really miss the baster with his super fast red cars.

Megasoum

Banned
ISR still haven't reviewed the Madcatz?

He's usually pretty good for early reviews, wondering if it broke or something.

He said in the comments of the 1500$ pedals review he did this week that he had one and was working on it. Also the wheel has been out in Canada for a couple of weeks but it doesn'T look like it's out in the states yet (or very recently anyway).

Just bought some new pedals for the t3pa

14786056251_c6b45e3d90_z.jpg

Went to try and tackle p3trans time on laguna seca for D class only to see that he went and set a new time yesterday.......................that's just wrong.

Megasoum

Banned
Copied from the next gen wheel thread if anybody hasn't seen this yet.

Can't watch until later :(

It looks like a piece of crap. Really cheap and toy like. Hardware switch to go between 270 and 900 degrees. No PC support. Etc. If it was like 200$ then maybe but considering that this is costing more than a TX, it's ridiculous.

It looks like a piece of crap. Really cheap and toy like. Hardware switch to go between 270 and 900 degrees. No PC support. Etc. If it was like 200$ then maybe but considering that this is costing more than a TX, it's ridiculous.

And no instructions in the box!

LOL

But to be fair the material on the steering wheel is probably better then the stock TX and the pedals look to have some customization when it comes to tension, so that is another positive, but thats about it.

Megasoum

Banned
And no instructions in the box!

LOL

But to be fair the material on the steering wheel is probably better then the stock TX and the pedals look to have some customization when it comes to tension, so that is another positive, but thats about it.

True about the faux leather on the rim (Thrustmaster needs a good leather rim).

And yeah, not sure about the pedals. At least with the TX you can use the T3PA or the CSP pedals.

p3tran

Banned
Just bought some new pedals for the t3pa

14786056251_c6b45e3d90_z.jpg

Went to try and tackle p3trans time on laguna seca for D class only to see that he went and set a new time yesterday.......................that's just wrong.

nice pedals!
- I was just testing a D400 miata... will upload when make it final :)

Sorry to interrupt the MadCatz discussion going on at the moment, but I have a question regarding modeling of some things in Forza 5:
On isr I saw Darin's McLaren P1 Nordschleife Lap and how he couldn't do it without a tuned car (he even had a rear spoiler on his - blasphemy). From an interview with Dan Greenawalt I remembered how well modeled after the original the Forza 5 P1 was supposed to be, even including torque vectoring and ride stiffening through hydraulic actuators, hydraulic rear spoiler behavior and so on. I thought that maybe Darin was wrong or hadn't really tried it... so I tried it myself and indeed the P1 handled quite horribly at high speeds (tcs on or off didn't make too much of a difference), so I tuned it a little - way more subtle than on Darin's tune though. I only gave it a new diff, adjustable brakes, new ARBs and a new suspension (didn't lower it! just made it oversteer a little less). After that the car handled quite nicely...

So... HOW can a so perfectly build car as the McLaren with all its computer adjusted gadgets handle a lot worse than the same car with all that stuff at fixed values?!??

Is there really torque vectoring in the game at all? Does somebody have info on this?

G Rom

I don't know, I think the P1 handles very well for a 900+ hp car.
I'd have to double-check on the Rivals event leaderboard but I'm pretty sure I did my sub-7:15 time in a stock P1 as a matter of fact. That's with all assists off and manual without clutch on a controller. Now that you've talked about it, I think I'm gonna try to go for the sub-7 minutes tomorrow !

Also, all this talk about wheels... I keep eyeing the TX on Pixmania but reason holds me back every time, that and the facts that I would only use it with FM5 and I would need to buy an expensive stand to go with it, adding to the already costly purchase...

I don't know, I think the P1 handles very well for a 900+ hp car.
I'd have to double-check on the Rivals event leaderboard but I'm pretty sure I did my sub-7:15 time in a stock P1 as a matter of fact. That's with all assists off and manual without clutch on a controller.

The "normal" not "simulation" steering alone is a big driving aid IMO. You don't drive on simulation using a controller, right?! That's pretty much undrivable in RWD cars as far as I know.

Also, all this talk about wheels... I keep eyeing the TX on Pixmania but reason holds me back every time, that and the facts that I would only use it with FM5 and I would need to buy an expensive stand to go with it, adding to the already costly purchase...

It's a good buy for £230. Get one nice and early this gen and it will do you at least two FMs and maybe a couple of Horizons and a wheel stand would last a lifetime.

Did you have a wheel last gen?

Nice. The CPX is really well built for a home made jobbie, looks pro. Cabletied mine to the bottom of the CSPs.

Knobs are a little slack but it's one of those things that works so well you could easily forget it's there.

Marco1

Absolutely love this game and can't wait to see what they do with Forza 6 but will have Horizon and Driveclub to carry me to that point.
But I really wish they would fix the special paint Gold/ Chrome glitch. I know the game has other issues but for some reason that one really annoys me.

Absolutely love this game and can't wait to see what they do with Forza 6 but will have Horizon and Driveclub to carry me to that point.
But I really wish they would fix the special paint Gold/ Chrome glitch. I know the game has other issues but for some reason that one really annoys me.

I had already sold my Xbox360 when Horizon came out, so I have no prior experience. I just SO hope that there will be a simulation steering no driving aids mode. I can't wait to just grand tour the gorgeous scenery in an old Ferrari and take some pictures. A Ferrari California or a Jag E-Type convertible ...or a Merc 300SL Roadster ...mmmm*dreams*

The "normal" not "simulation" steering alone is a big driving aid IMO. You don't drive on simulation using a controller, right?! That's pretty much undrivable in RWD cars as far as I know.

I have used simulation steering with a controller since FM4. It just takes some getting used to, but no cars are undrivable.

G Rom

When I said all assists off, that included simulation steering as well. ;)
I've been using it since FM4 too.
The only cars that are bitches to drive are the very light cars (ie Atom, R500, X-Bow), those require to be extra careful !

It's a good buy for £230. Get one nice and early this gen and it will do you at least two FMs and maybe a couple of Horizons and a wheel stand would last a lifetime.

Did you have a wheel last gen?

No I didn't, I must have played FM with a wheel only once or twice last gen. :(
I played GT5 with a DFP extensively and enjoyed the hell out of it though.
The TX is indeed about 300€ on Pixmania but as I said, I would need to buy a proper stand because I don't have any furniture that could act as one at the moment so the bill would most likely go up to at least 400€...

saladine1

I have used simulation steering with a controller since FM4. It just takes some getting used to, but no cars are undrivable.

Same here.
As G Rom said however, some of the MR track cars and the classic GP cars are a little tricky most of the time.

On another note, I'm interested to see where Turn 10 takes the series next.
Is it a matter of 'much of the same only more' or 'let's do something different'?

Either way, I'm expecting big things from FM6..(or shouldn't I..?)

While we're here Turn 10:

Don't forget the Dyno and some new tuning and upgrades options for FM6. Just DO IT!
Wide-body and flare kits too...
Also, more 1970's, 80's and 90's Group A and Group C touring race cars please.

G Rom

Just announce a Porsche Expansion Pack available straight away at Gamescom, that's all I want in the near future from Turn 10 !

Bought this baby Merc, upgraded it a bit and took it for a run :

mobile.544zbjux.jpg

mobile.545taktn.jpg

mobile.546dou6q.jpg

mobile.5471fuk3.jpg

mobile.548pafxp.jpg

mobile.549v2cy4.jpg

Edit : I had a look at the leaderboard, my (dirty) lap was done with a slightly upgraded P1 and I was around 7:12. I've started a run with a completely stock P1, I'm already down to 7:01.797. That's still a dirty lap though but I'm confident I can do close or better than that with a clean lap as it's always really small mistakes that make my laps dirty, usually toward the end of the track.

TylerDurden4321 said:
Is there really torque vectoring in the game at all? Does somebody have info on this?

Torque vectoring was apparently present in previous Forzas, well F4 at least. The Xbox 360 games have been torn apart by hackers, maybe someone has come across the details of how it was modelled.

I don't think anybody here has the means to take a look at it.

When I said all assists off, that included simulation steering as well. ;)
I've been using it since FM4 too.

I take my hat off to you! That is quite remarkable with just an xbox one controller.
(and I now think you're the kind of person for who buying a good yet expensive wheel might be a perfectly justifiable decision)

Torque vectoring was apparently present in previous Forzas, well F4 at least. The Xbox 360 games have been torn apart by hackers, maybe someone has come across the details of how it was modelled.
I don't think anybody here has the means to take a look at it.

thnx anyway... maybe it's just not modeled as thoroughly as in the real world for the hypercars. I think the P1 even uses front wheel brakes for some extreme cornering to get the vector exactly right.

Bobnob

Server's on this game are sooo bad, so i'm quitting racing until no6 or something is done.I'm really suprised there is'nt a bigger uproar about this, last i was racing a indycar series that i'm doing over at virtual motorsports and the race was a wash with speed up slow downs frame drops, it was really bad but this aint the first time this was race 7 of 8 and i don't think i've had 1 race in this series without issues.

There was 60 sign ups for this event,we were down to 10 last night because of these issues.

Super Takyu that starts this sunday with over 100 people signed up it might be a good idea for T10 ask some of them guys about there experiances during and after the series. Also MS could learn alot about there invite system and how bad it really is.

X1 is next gen in graphics only.

Mascot

Server's on this game are sooo bad, so i'm quitting racing until no6 or something is done.I'm really suprised there is'nt a bigger uproar about this, last i was racing a indycar series that i'm doing over at virtual motorsports and the race was a wash with speed up slow downs frame drops, it was really bad but this aint the first time this was race 7 of 8 and i don't think i've had 1 race in this series without issues.

There was 60 sign ups for this event,we were down to 10 last night because of these issues.

Super Takyu that starts this sunday with over 100 people signed up it might be a good idea for T10 ask some of them guys about there experiances during and after the series. Also MS could learn alot about there invite system and how bad it really is.

X1 is next gen in graphics only.

Hang on: FM5's got dedicated servers, hasn't it?

Bobnob

Yes, and it has been a smooth experience in race for our Sunday races. Getting the games started has had a few issues here and there, but I still think its been smoother than our F4 races.

Not a chance imo, i've done lots of racing on various website's and the majority of people i've spoke to say that this F5 is the worst online experiance they have had out of all of the Forza's.

G Rom

Beautiful photos, G Rom.

Thanks ! :)

I take my hat off to you! That is quite remarkable with just an xbox one controller.
(and I now think you're the kind of person for who buying a good yet expensive wheel might be a perfectly justifiable decision)

thnx anyway... maybe it's just not modeled as thoroughly as in the real world for the hypercars. I think the P1 even uses front wheel brakes for some extreme cornering to get the vector exactly right.

Thanks but FM has always been very controller friendly and Turn 10 probably provided the best feedback possible with rumble in all FM, IMO.

mobile.550y9ahl.jpg

I need to get this lap clean and I'm coming for you, P3tran !
What have I done...

Not a chance imo, i've done lots of racing on various website's and the majority of people i've spoke to say that this F5 is the worst online experiance they have had out of all of the Forza's.

Not saying you haven't had issues, I was only speaking for what I have experienced, in comparison to the previous Forzas. Maybe its because we play on a Sunday at 2pm EST, but its been smooth for the most part, and in-game anomalies are not as frequent as they were in 4.

Omni

mR4ZAT.jpg

Question about photo mode. Can you move the Forza logo? Not so much in this shot, but in others that I've taken it looks a bit washed out against the background

fethebox

Neo Member
Hey everyone,

I got Forza 5 with my Xbox 1 and DLC aside I really have fallen in love with this series. I have some questions about the upcoming Forza Horizons 2 though. I know the single player is open world, and that there is a second developer working on the game. Which is kinda worrying me as to whether or not the driving is the same, and if the multiplayer is the same too. I really don't care about the open world stuff I just like the multiplayer and rivals time trials that's currently implemented in Forza 5. Basically, is this game going to be worth picking up and are people going to be playing the multiplayer the same way as Forza 5?

Driving should be about the same, although not as deep I didn't find Horizon 1's handling noticeably worse, in fact they improved on some minor things.

Big problem with the original Horizon for me was the unforgettable, samey and quite boring track layouts. Really lacked the longevity that the FM games have.

fethebox

Neo Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking/worried about. Meh I'll get it anyway I can just go back to F5 if I don't like it or if it's not populated. Technically I haven't spent a dime on Forza yet in my life anyhow.

I'm expecting big improvements in the tracks this time. Looks like at least one old fantasy track layout from Forza 3 is making an appearance.

The Rally DLC from Horizon 1 was good, shame it wasn't included in the game. That would have helped.

Which is kinda worrying me as to whether or not the driving is the same, and if the multiplayer is the same too.

As far as I've heard ...under the hood of Horizon the same physics engine and car models from Forza Motorsport are working, but in Horizon 1 even when you turned TCS/STM off, there still were systems at work to give you more grip... I assume similar to the "skid recovery force" from the GT-series. I'm hoping with you that there will be an option to turn this off entirely.
The other team working on the horizon series is supposed to read like a "best off list" of former employees from other excellent driving game developers (Codemasters, Bizarre Creations, Slightly Mad Studios), so I wouldn't worry aboutt their skills... maybe more of their (and MS's) racing-game politics when it comes to easy fun vs. realism.

I really don't care about the open world stuff
I know, racing is fun, but did you never want to just drive a car for the pleasure of driving... maybe a convertable on your vacation? Especially Italy and the south of France with narrow, curvy roads, hills, mountains and small villages are just beautiful for this.

Maybe check out some Mille Miglia youtube footage (newer for beautiful cars and scenery and older for some really sick driving through fan-crowded villages) to get your mouth watered for this, but if that doesn't help, think of transforming some cars into your personal rally versions and drifting over gravel and wet tarmac.

Megasoum

Banned
Nice. The CPX is really well built for a home made jobbie, looks pro. Cabletied mine to the bottom of the CSPs.

Knobs are a little slack but it's one of those things that works so well you could easily forget it's there.

Got it today and it works perfectly. So great to go back to my CSPs after 3 weeks on the TX pedals.

Also my knobs are just fine. I'm reading the basher forums right now and he's talking about the resistance issue on the knobs for the earlier batch so looks like he fixed the issue since.

Top Bottom