• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

BIGT468

How'd it go?

I caused a slight pile up in the first turn while hoping my car would go invisible to let everyone by, P3tran saw a few weeds and some grass that needed to be attended to in the middle of the race so he took care of them, and there was talk of some game called destiny. :)

Spades

How'd it go?

First podium for Mediocre Motorsports! Had a great race with Scrone but managed to snatch 2nd in the end.

fOVRQr9.jpg

8MPLglm.jpg

jmujjPl.jpg

WP9JDQu.jpg

Spades

tumblr_n8o0ddwX9A1qiv7luo1_250.png

Results after round five, Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

Drivers
1 - SarBear / 54 (Joker)
2 - p3tran / 33
3 - Devildoll / 31 (Joker)
4 - Spades / 27 (Joker)
5 - BIGT468 / 24 (Joker)
6 - Shortt Sirket / 13 (Joker)
=7 - EBreda / 8 (Joker)
=7 - frontieruk / 8 (Joker)
=7 - zorbsie / 8 (Joker)
10 - Cushen / 5 (Joker)
11 - Flying Toaster / 1
---
CrudeDiatribe / 0 (Joker)
soundscream / 0
Cyros / 0
RWB993 / 0 (Joker)

Team
1 - DP Ninjas / 66 (Joker)
2 - Shake N Bake / 60 (Joker)
3 - Mediocre Motorsport / 43 (Joker)
4 - CarWorks / 37
5 - Maple Syrp / 14 (Joker)
6 - WestJet Racing / 7 (Joker)
---
MustangsR4LOSERS / 0

Next week's race is at Bathurst.
t1407088800z1.png

I won't be around next week and so Zorbsie is going to host the lobby - thanks!

Smokey

So...

I've had my X1 and Forza 5 since launch. I really want to get into simulation racing. In fact I have a G27 and Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3, but that brand of "racing" isn't my style. Today I ended up being on a big Forza kick and have a few questions:

1. Any good strategies for braking? I always feel like I'm sliding or 'drifting' into turns. Or I let off of the accelerator and then kind of tap the brake through the turn. I feel this is wrong (it probably is). I disabled assisted braking, but left ABS on by the way.

2. Does manual really make a difference? Never tried it but curious if it's worth the effort.

3. Any other tips for someone who is mildy familiar with racing titles? Suggested settings? Here is what I currently have for Assists:

Should I change anything? Just trying to figure out the best path towards eventually having assists all the way off and getting the most out of the game.

This is a personal preference, but I think STM actually makes things worse when on. It just takes away all your power and control at the wrong times.

I would aim to turn off ABS next and then TCS on a car by car basis. Turning ABS off really teaches you about threshold braking, which is very important.

p3tran

Banned
@sal: I dont know my friend, but given this is closed circuit racing on smooth surface it does not make that much of a difference anyway.

@smokey: hmm... tips about sim racing.. lets see..
first, forget about the fast cars at the beginning.
find a slow car you like, like one with less then 400hp :) preferably with good handling, and learn on that.
remove both traction aids. thats why you got a slow-ass car in the first place.
learn the car on the track. how it turns, how it decelerates. pick something in rivals where you dont have opponent cars to bother you. a good practice is to always gradually brake before the corner, and let go of the brakes at least some meters before you start turning.
full throttle should only be applied after you are in your exit trajectory.
learning to go smooth is the key here. then you just try to be smooth but faster ;)
also remove damage, since your first goal will be to remain on track. so if accident happens, you dont have to restart.
about gearing, manual sure offers and extra round of control, but get to that after you are comfortable with the above.
also, by getting a good feel for the car, you then know in what areas you would like more improvement (be it grip, speed, braking, etc), so thats also your first step to tuning it.

-about sunday race, I found out about joker and I'm putting it up for next race :D

-about v8 miata, I will make one with good handling and upload it, hopefully today.
it will have to be competitive for its class though 8)

Devildoll

First podium for Mediocre Motorsports! Had a great race with Scrone but managed to snatch 2nd in the end.

I fell behind like a lap after the collision i caused, for the second half of the race you were actually battling with BIGT.
But yeah, it was pretty tight.

1. Any good strategies for braking? I always feel like I'm sliding or 'drifting' into turns. Or I let off of the accelerator and then kind of tap the break through the turn. I feel this is wrong (it probably is). I disabled assisted breaking, but left ABS on by the way.

2. Does manual really make a difference? Never tried it but curious if it's worth the effort.

3. Any other tips for someone who is mildy familiar with racing titles? Suggested settings? Here is what I currently have for Assists:

Should I change anything? Just trying to figure out the best path towards eventually having assists all the way off and getting the most out of the game.

1. Tapping the brake makes the car jerk back and forth, which is bad.
you should brake just in time for you to be able to hold the bake until you need to get on the gas again.

Don't bite down on the bake 100% all the time, you got to figure out how hard you can get on it on, in every particular case.
Cars with a lot of down-force allow you to get on the brake really hard initially, since they have all that grip at high speed, but as you slow down you need to ease of the bakes in order to not lock up the tires as they loose grip from lack of down-force.
( with abs on this might not be something to consider )

Try enabling the bake race-line and see how you do following that.

2. Manual with clutch shifts fastest, so you'll definitely improve your times doing that.
I personally run manual without clutch, since i just end up in a ditch if i try to multitask that hard.

3. I would not run simulation damage in the single player races, those drivatars are not friendly at all, especially when you have to pass 16 of them within 3 laps to get in first place before the race ends.

14582233608_62ae81b4cd_z.jpg

Goodbye you piece of shit and dont let the door hit you on the way out!

So glad to have my clutch back, and the brake mod that comes with it drastically improves braking.

Took my 97 civic out on laguna seca and started cutting down rivals lap by lap, until I got to p3trans time..........

yaoming_meme_png_by_blinkytv-d578rcx.png

Stupid Forza...........

george-michael-sad-walk_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

Megasoum

Banned
It's funny... I started to kinda like those TX pedals lol...not sure why.

I got a CPX on the way so I'll be going back to my CSP soon enough but I dunno, I got used to the shitty pedals.

Damn Soundscream, sounds like you are now going to be a force to be reckoned with! Was the old brake pedal really that bad?

I tried so hard to figure it out. I was even only using 3 toes at one point to try and avoid over braking. I just could never get it to consistently brake how I wanted.

I still am going to suck hard during the Ford Races because the stock version of that car doesn't play well with how I drive.

Now I just need to get rid of my fantec wheel and clubsport pedals. I'm thinking of doing a wheel/pedal/shifter package for $60 just to be done with it.

Megasoum

Banned
Now I just need to get rid of my fantec wheel and clubsport pedals. I'm thinking of doing a wheel/pedal/shifter package for $60 just to be done with it.

If you have CSP pedals you should keep them since they are the best pedals on the market right now and you can use them with anything on PC or with Thrustmaster wheels on XB1/PS4

If you have CSP pedals you should keep them since they are the best pedals on the market right now and you can use them with anything on PC or with Thrustmaster wheels on XB1/PS4

They are going to go unused and I would rather pass them on to someone who would get more use out of them.

p3tran

Banned
TEST MULE UP
so, we were talking about the mx 5 cup

mazdamx-5-01-wm-forza5-dlc-bondurant-june-jpg.jpg

it comes at D392
just by dropping the v8, it goes to B532

so up to B600 class, I did 2 variations, both up on live for testing and notes:
"GAF V8" = V8 engine, emphasis on grip
"GAF V8 compresor" = like above, but with a little more ponies and a little less grip

zorbsie

P3tran, Thanks for setting those up. Going to give them a shot later tonight. I feel like I'd want the one with more horsepower. Of course if it's not close to 1000hp I'm not sure if Devildoll with join us. :)

HeliosT10

Damn you all! I am seriously getting tempted to grab a nice wheel/pedal set soon.

Got the Madcatz force feedback wheel recently along with a Playseat challenge, really enjoying them both so far but don't really have much idea what wheel settings to go for. Any tips?

Have used wheels plenty of times, but it's normally been at events or in studio so am not used to messing around with the settings!

Start with 0 deadzone 100% ffb/vibration and lower them if you don't like the weight. FWD cars tend to be the most communicative, AWD feel weighty and RWD loose but they're all different.

Haven't seen the Mad Catz wheel in person, if it's anything like the TX I'd leave those setting at 100% and learn to like them.

I really dig the force feedback in F5, feels like it's tied deeply in with the physics engine and not 'canned' as before. I miss the sheer strength and resistance you get with PC sims, especially in race cars where it helps keep them pointing straight at speed but what is there is great.

Got the Madcatz force feedback wheel recently along with a Playseat challenge, really enjoying them both so far but don't really have much idea what wheel settings to go for. Any tips?

Have used wheels plenty of times, but it's normally been at events or in studio so am not used to messing around with the settings!

Yeah, I keep looking at the few options and I still can't pull the trigger yet. Just can't QUITE justify the price as of now, but I feel like I won't be able to resist for too much longer. lol

frontieruk

TEST MULE UP
so, we were talking about the mx 5 cup

mazdamx-5-01-wm-forza5-dlc-bondurant-june-jpg.jpg

it comes at D392
just by dropping the v8, it goes to B532

so up to B600 class, I did 2 variations, both up on live for testing and notes:
"GAF V8" = V8 engine, emphasis on grip
"GAF V8 compresor" = like above, but with a little more ponies and a little less grip

V8 GAF - 54K dropped to set up
V8Comp - another 13k

Both require to much throttle control for my knackered hand, so I'll be saying good luck with the Miata series and I'll keep my eye out for the next series.

V8 GAF - 54K dropped to set up
V8Comp - another 13k

Both require to much throttle control for my knackered hand, so I'll be saying good luck with the Miata series and I'll keep my eye out for the next series.

His tune was a bit squirrelly for my taste also. I made a tune with less torque "V8 GAF 2.0", give it a try before giving up on the series.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been playing the game for a bit over 2 weeks now.

I'm really loving it so far.

The only 2 things that bug me a bit are the small number of tracks. I've seen worse track list for sure and the ones that are there are mostly great tracks but after only 2 weeks they are already starting to get a bit repetitive.

The other thing is that while the cockpits look amazing, they are still killing most of the sense of speed (it was the same in FM3 and 4). It's crazy how faster it feels by simply switching to the hood cam.

Anyway... overall it's a great game for sure. It does kinda feel a bit like the "FM 2 of the XB1". It's a great game but hopefully they will have as much a step between 5 and 6 than they had between 2 and 3 on the 360.

Smokey

Thank you guys for the tips.

Still been on my Forza kick completing events and messing around. Playing with tweaked custom settings based off of the feedback that was posted here.

I was doing one of the events and bought a RS7 (AWD). Then did next race with a M6 and the difference was immediately notable in terms of handling and the approach to driving. Was great.

Now I want a X1 wheel...what are the options available?

p3tran

Banned
@frontier/soundscream
:D hey, I told you that a) it will be a v8 in a miata and b) car will still have to be competitive for its class.
I didnt want to botch the car up, so I did not go for awd conversion, or ridiculously unrealistic gear ratios. still drives like a setup miata with a v8 :)
I will make another one, getting some tame driving characteristics in :)

@smokey
thrustmaster tx1, many of us have it, works very good on pc too. and you can chase a good deal.
another player just came out, the madcatz wheel, we still wait for info on those wheels.
ps: whats your tag? couldn't hurt having some leaderboard friends and ghosts

Megasoum

Banned
@smokey
thrustmaster tx1, many of us have it, works very good on pc too. and you can chase a good deal.
another player just came out, the madcatz wheel, we still wait for info on those wheels.

I'm really curious to see the Mad Catz reviews (I know Darin from ISR has the wheel and working on a review right now). I just bought a TX so it won't change anything but I'm really curious lol.

In the end tho, no matter how good (or bad) the Mad Catz wheel is, I prefer to invest into Thrustmaster's ecosystem (rims, pedals, shifters, etc that work on all their wheels) than in the Mad Catz ecosystem.

frontieruk

@frontier/soundscream
:D hey, I told you that a) it will be a v8 in a miata and b) car will still have to be competitive for its class.
I didnt want to botch the car up, so I did not go for awd conversion, or ridiculously unrealistic gear ratios. still drives like a setup miata with a v8 :)
I will make another one, getting some tame driving characteristics in :)

@smokey
ps: whats your tag? couldn't hurt having some leaderboard friends and ghosts

I quite liked the V8 GAF version, (the Comp understeers like a bitch, whereas with the v8 GAF you can just drift (in 5th) to sort it out) but there is just to much requirement for subtle throttle control which I can't manage with my F*ked up hand, it's not a slight on the tune, I knew it was going to be a handful, but had to try it as if I'd said yeah I'll race it, I'd then be that guy who moans the whole series at it not being to my liking.

p3tran

Banned
I'm really curious to see the Mad Catz reviews (I know Darin from ISR has the wheel and working on a review right now). I just bought a TX so it won't change anything but I'm really curious lol.

In the end tho, no matter how good (or bad) the Mad Catz wheel is, I prefer to invest into Thrustmaster's ecosystem (rims, pedals, shifters, etc that work on all their wheels) than in the Mad Catz ecosystem.
well if you are very curious, Helios just started up a twitch stream, and I can see him in front of a madcatz setup in a 16 player lobby...
tune into that

I quite liked the V8 GAF version, (the Comp understeers like a bitch, whereas with the v8 GAF you can just drift (in 5th) to sort it out) but there is just to much requirement for subtle throttle control which I can't manage with my F*ked up hand, it's not a slight on the tune, I knew it was going to be a handful, but had to try it as if I'd said yeah I'll race it, I'd then be that guy who moans the whole series at it not being to my liking.
please try with TCS on :)
btw, tunes is something I did on a couple of hours having fun with the car. its not supposed to be the perfect thing or whatever, thats why "test mule"
still room to fix and improve, feedback is always good
I will also do a D400 version, trying every trick in the book to cram as much stuff in the remaining ...8 points (is D392 oem) :)

Megasoum

Banned
well if you are very curious, Helios just started up a twitch stream, and I can see him in front of a madcatz setup in a 16 player lobby...
tune into that

Yeah I was watching the stream earlier but that doesn't tell me anything about the wheel lol.

frontieruk

it was? :D v8's are niice
given the effort to keep in line, did you get good laptimes compared to your other b class?

I'll try to sort the throttle control and understeer thing.

it's not the tune or the throttle honestly, I struggle with the FF as well it's just a bit more planted after 1st, so I don't have to micro manage which is again nothing to do with the car or tune just my bust up hand, the brakes didn't get upgraded though did they? ;)

p3tran

Banned
it's not the tune or the throttle honestly, I struggle with the FF as well it's just a bit more planted after 1st, so I don't have to micro manage which is again nothing to do with the car or tune just my bust up hand, the brakes didn't get upgraded though did they? ;)
you can reverse engineer the car and see for your self all parts I have used. and also mix & match from there.
I dont remember if the brakes themselves were upgraded in the final build, but braking power was sure improved, be it with tires, suspension, weight and aero improvements.
usually when I'm finalizing parts, I am a few units above the ceiling in PI, and I cut what I find is needed the least to fall back to PI.

G Rom

Autoblog got a nice preview of the Infinity Q50 Eau Rouge that we should get sometimes in the near future. I can't wait to try it out around the Nordschleife.

Speaking of which, the Nordschleife probably became my most raced track since it came out. Back in the FM4 days, GT5 was my go-to game for my Nurburgring fix due to FM4's terrible rendition but now, I just get one car and keep doing laps in Rivals. I still can't get over how good FM5's version of the Nordschleife is !

My latest run was in my F40 :

mobile.537ojljr.jpg

mobile.5385sln9.jpg

Spades

New wheel, with FF incoming:

MAD CATZ XBOX ONE PRO RACING WHEEL PRESS RELEASE

Mad Catz® Ships Pro Racing™ Force Feedback Wheel and Pedals for Xbox One®
Licensed Racing Wheel Brings Powerful and Precise Force Feedback to Next Generation Gaming

San Diego – July 30, 2014 – Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (“Mad Catz”) (NYSE MKT: MCZ) announced today the shipping of the Pro Racing Force Feedback Wheel and Pedals, a simulator-grade racing system for the Xbox One console.
The state-of-the-art wheel and pedal system features high levels of adjustment and a modular design allowing the system to be expanded in the future. Accommodating arcade and simulation racing modes, the new Xbox One force-feedback protocol is fully realized through dual-helical force feedback motors. The culmination of extensive teamwork alongside race car drivers, software developers and engineers, the Pro Racing Wheel is engineered from the finest quality materials specifically chosen for their strong durability.

“Racing games such as Forza present the ideal showcase for next generation gaming and we believe the Pro Racing Wheel brings the most engaging experience to passionate gamers looking for the next level of realism,” said Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz. “The Pro Racing Wheel is evidence of our commitment to growing our business by delivering best-in-class products for targeted gaming segments.”
Designed to integrate with Playseat® gaming chairs, the Pro Racing Force Feedback Wheel and Pedals includes a fully adjustable Pedal Set that allows gamers to customize the spring resistance, height and spacing on the gas and brake pedals.

For additional information or to order your own Pro Racing Wheel, please visit: http://store.madcatz.com/categories...e-Feedback-Wheel-and-Pedals-for-Xbox-One.html

Mad-Catz-Pro-Racing-Force-Feedback-Wheel-XB1-001.jpg

Looks really nice to be fair. I'm tempted to get my race seat down from the attic.

Megasoum

Banned
Its been available for a month, and I really cant see a single reason to invest in it. Given the price, you can find the TX regularly on sale for $100 cheaper.

Its also noisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGGWfk4mLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxUSOfCHc4g

Also, with the TX, you get a ton of accessories and adapters available since the T500 was so popular. Also the T300 will be the only good wheel on PS4 (announced so far anyway) so we'll probably get even more peripherals in the future.

Top Bottom