• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fossil Fighters: Frontier |OT| Intelligently Designed Action

Launch Trailer is finally up
That said, the localization team must've just been handed a single sheet of paper that said "Whatever" Not to say it's bad, because it is far from bad. It's just ridiculous.
Nah, I can confirm that the JPN version was ridiculous too. It might have been even more ridiculous due to how a lot of characters talked in just an absolutely absurd way and how the protagonist talked in punctuation marks instead of words.

Destructoid Review: 3/10

I don't really like this review. Not because it's negative, the game's not for everybody so that's fine, but because he apparently spent 10 hours out of his 26 just grinding. I... I... Er...

Before anybody gets scared off from the game I am just going to point out that I played through the game twice and didn't have to do more than an hour or so of grinding both times. Now it's possible that I'm an exception, but the other reviews I've posted didn't really mention that level of grinding. So please keep that in mind when reading the review and determine for yourself i you think grinding will be a real issue.

Another review in some foreign language. 3/5, much more in line with the other reviews so far.

LOCATIONS COMPLETE! Well, need to verify that a couple rare ones are indeed full body fossils but other than that it's complete!

EDIT: Wait that was a spoilar in a way oops.

Anyways got to post-game ending last night. Took a little over 50 hours though i goofed around a lot so it should take a lot less time for most. Was still pretty fun but now i gotta go do some productive things.

UNTIL YOU HAVE THE BEST SONAR, ALWAYS HAVE LUCKY WITH YOU WHEN SEARCHING FOR FOSSILS.

Without Lucky:
ii9gyQI.jpg

With Lucky:
wlqXTxU.jpg

See the extra fossils? This is because Lucky upgrades your sonar by... one grade I believe.

...He actually basically tells you this when you get him but I thought it was just flavor text. Guess he wasn't bluffing!

Got this beauty by changing the 3DS clock. ~ So I got it late last night but it doesn't really look like that lol

76dL4Wy.jpg

Finally! Now I just gotta work on my actual rank...

I didn't know NeoGAF allowed six posts in a row, even if they are bumps. 0_o

I got this when it launched, played an hour of it, concluded that the fossil excavating was much more annoying but I liked everything else Frontier brought to the table. I have to say that currently the original has my favorite story, while Champions has the best overall gameplay while still having a charming story.

The fossil excavating gets way better once you get farther in and get digging tools that are actually decent. You start out with digging tools that are so weak you're supposed to hammer on weakened fossil rock. I recommend giving it another shot if you haven't already. But yeah, the slow start is one of my gripes with the game but overall it's my favorite in the series. I like the exploration, the skillset customization, and the game, while not being "hard", not being as ridiculously easy as the first two games were. I also like how hard it is to "break" the battle system since you could break the first two games' battle systems pretty easily if you knew what you were doing.

As for 6 posts in a row without getting banned... IDK either but I'm not complaining about it. lol

casiopao

Haven't bought the game here(tx to the fact that I simply can't fight this game at all in my country.)

But seeing that Shark is giving so much info about this game, I guess now I need to look for this game once more lol.

sk3tch

Holy shit I got a streetpass today! This means that somebody else in Minnesota besides me bought this game. Oh my god!

I'm about to buy two copies today - MN represent. My son is 4 and the reviews make it sound like it's a streamlined/more simple RPG...plus, of course, he loves dinosaurs (er, vivosaurs) so it should be fun. Buy one get one 50% off yesterday at Best Buy led to a net cost after tax (with Gamers Club) of around $33 for two copies. Hehe.

You'll probably have to help him out with certain fights. However, the local multiplayer will let you explore dig sites together and you guys will probably have a blast with that. Have fun! :)

EDIT: While technically this should have been moved to Community, the European release is in a week so maybe this thread should stay here...

sk3tch

Wow...the intro to this game is so tedious. Luckily he and I worked through it and got to the save point after all of the intros on both copies. Done and done. It would be nice if they let us skip that. Game mechanics and everything seem pretty cool. Not so sure it'll translate well or keep my son's interest at his age. He was losing interest during the intro. Hopefully the story tapers off a bit and action takes center stage.

sk3tch

Game is like $17 used at Best Buy. Kinda interested, but should I even spend my time?

So far it has Nintendo-cute all over it. So - if you're into that - you'll dig it. The gameplay isn't revolutionary or exceptional...the game is just "good" - but really it boils down to your appetite for a "Nintendo"-esque title. It is a derivative of the Pokemon series - so if you like that, it will help.

I liked it. I found the localization to be pretty damn funny, too. 8-4 did a great job.

If you ever get stuck, BTW, you can go to the Seven Scramble Tournaments, choose one your team can do on Auto, and just keep on doing them and selecting Auto to battle while you do other things. You don't actually have to grind at all until maybe post-game if you know what you're doing, but some people have trouble and need to do so.

Tizoc

So I can get this game for GBP 13 but I can't seem to find any worthwhile reviews for it.
As someone who doesn't exactly play Pokemon but likes dinosaurs, any reason I shouldn't skip on getting this game?

I liked it a lot. For that price I'd say go for it for sure. It's just good fun IMO.

In particular I found 8-4's localization to be hilarious.

Top Bottom