• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

I've never used a fountain pen as an adult, but want to pick up a LAMY Joy to begin with. Does anyone have any experience with this pen? The reviews look pretty great.

Thanks!

My wife loves using these, we have two of them. I prefer the Safari myself mostly because I don't like the Joy's capping action which is quite loose. With a 1.9mm nib on the Joy you can make some really fun lines.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Jetpens does have the Lamy Joy pen. I have one in white. It certainly looks interesting, but I am not a huge fan of Lamy's calligraphy nibs. I don't like their feel or the line they lay down.

I'm with BriareosGAF - I prefer the Safari. The Safari and Joy take the same nibs, so you can pick up whatever nibs you want to try out and put them on a Safari.

I've gotten to the point where even the Lamy F nib feels a little too broad. I ordered an EF for my Dark Lilac Safari. And honestly, if you miss out on a Dark Lilac Safari, you'll be kicking yourself later. They are selling like crazy, so the secondhand market should be robust, but it's just such a great looking pen and Safaris are great for beginners - I want to stock up on a few to give away to get people hooked on pens. Dark Lilac pen, with Dark Lilac ink...who can resist falling in love with fountain pens after that??? (Trying to find a bottle of this ink is rough! The color is amazing, and at $10/bottle, it's an incredible value.)

I have to agree with you 110% about the Dark Lilac Safari & Ink, Bagels. I picked up the other 3 black colored nibs when I ordered the pen from Goulet, was lucky enough to snag a package of the matching cartridges Day 1 AND a bottle of ink when JetPens stocked it for all of six hours. I haven't tried their Italic nibs set out yet, and now I'm a little scared of them, hah!

The only caveat to the pen is that if you need weight and/or metal bodies, get the Al-Star instead. The Safari is very light and is very sturdy (I ran mine through the washing machine on accident), so it is a preference thing to consider. Bagels has pictures upthread of the gorgeous Limited Edition Copperorange color, and Charged Green is still available as well of that's more your jam.

Lamy is supposed to be sending a second wave of ink that I know of (and soon), it really is an incredible value for $10. Of course I had to buy something else to get Free Shipping on JetPens and that "something else" was Emerald of Chivor in my case, so it may just end up being a gateway drug. ;)

To all accounts, the Pilot Parallel is supposed to be the way to get into calligraphy these days, even the professionals (Master Penman is a profession!) carry around Parallels.

Jimrpg

I was just in Japan and bought two of the Pilot Kakuno, one fine and one medium.

I tried to find the Pilot Metropolitan but they didn't have any.

The Kakuno is a really nice pen and I'm pretty happy with it. I've kind of been bitten by the fountain pen bug and now I want to get a bunch of them.

I also tried to find the Hobonichi diary but it was sold out everywhere.

I'm still rocking that nonrefillable Pilot Vpen thing, and I loved it to the point where I shit you not I revamped my handwriting so that it would look better when written with that pen.

Using it for note taking in class and stuff now

Jetpens does have the Lamy Joy pen. I have one in white. It certainly looks interesting, but I am not a huge fan of Lamy's calligraphy nibs. I don't like their feel or the line they lay down.

I'm with BriareosGAF - I prefer the Safari. The Safari and Joy take the same nibs, so you can pick up whatever nibs you want to try out and put them on a Safari.

Never seen that type of Lamy pen before. Wonder if jetpens or amazon sells it.

My wife loves using these, we have two of them. I prefer the Safari myself mostly because I don't like the Joy's capping action which is quite loose. With a 1.9mm nib on the Joy you can make some really fun lines.

Thanks guys, will have a look at the Safari too. I'll find a stationary shop and give them both a bash.

ThisGuy

I was recently hired by a company and during the interview I was recommended to get a notepad for notes while working. Now looking at some of the people I will be working with I feel its best to try and fit, look the part so to speak. So I wanted to get my first fountain pen with a quality notepad and a leather cover to protect it in my front pocket.

Here are the items I was thinking of:

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Black-Dot-Medium-Nib/pd/10174

http://www.doanepaper.com/products/utility-notebook-small-pack-of-3

(I see a review that said it was great to take notes on and quickly close with smearing from fountain pens...https://edjelley.com/2014/01/12/pocket-notebooks-what-does-fountain-pen-friendly-really-mean/)

And finally I am torn on covers. Any one of these seem ideal.

http://www.wordnotebooks.com/collec...ord-notebook-leather-jacket-olive-drab-orange

http://innovativejournaling.com/pocket-size-moleskine-cahier-cover/
(I'm particularly fond of this as it holds to the front and back pages of the notepad vs a string down the center of the pad; I dont know the pro's and cons of either method of holding the pad into place, the former seems better with no prior knowledge)

http://www.storysupplyco.com/collections/the-plot-line/products/leather-storyteller-notebook
Mentioned by Bagels, I really like how it's similar in look to the travelers notebook.

Any suggestions or critiques are welcomed. If you think I should go fine nib on the pen, I'm willing to do that, I just thought the dots looked nice and only came in medium nib size.

Slightly off-topic, but is there any name for this kind of handwriting?
71hK4%2B%2BndOL._SL1500_.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I was recently hired by a company and during the interview I was recommended to get a notepad for notes while working. Now looking at some of the people I will be working with I feel its best to try and fit, look the part so to speak. So I wanted to get my first fountain pen with a quality notepad and a leather cover to protect it in my front pocket.

Here are the items I was thinking of:

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Black-Dot-Medium-Nib/pd/10174

http://www.doanepaper.com/products/utility-notebook-small-pack-of-3

(I see a review that said it was great to take notes on and quickly close with smearing from fountain pens...https://edjelley.com/2014/01/12/pocket-notebooks-what-does-fountain-pen-friendly-really-mean/)

And finally I am torn on covers. Any one of these seem ideal.

http://www.wordnotebooks.com/collec...ord-notebook-leather-jacket-olive-drab-orange

http://innovativejournaling.com/pocket-size-moleskine-cahier-cover/
(I'm particularly fond of this as it holds to the front and back pages of the notepad vs a string down the center of the pad; I dont know the pro's and cons of either method of holding the pad into place, the former seems better with no prior knowledge)

http://www.storysupplyco.com/collections/the-plot-line/products/leather-storyteller-notebook
Mentioned by Bagels, I really like how it's similar in look to the travelers notebook.

Any suggestions or critiques are welcomed. If you think I should go fine nib on the pen, I'm willing to do that, I just thought the dots looked nice and only came in medium nib size.

The products you linked were all for A6 size/Pocket notebooks. You might consider something larger if you will be writing a lot? It all comes down to what you prefer, what you want to carry around.

I'm a huge fan of the Midori Traveler's notebooks. The regular size is the right amount of room for how much I want to write, and you can use a couple of different inserts to cover different tasks. The Passport size is really nice, if you want something smaller. Amazon has great prices for Traveler's notebooks and inserts, if you want to try them out. Their paper is great, and very fountain pen friendly.

The Story Supply Co cover is super nice, but their paper is not great with fountain pens. I switched out the notebook I got with mine for some Calepino notebooks.

Maruman Mnemosyne is very fountain-pen-friendly and their notebooks are really nice. They make nice pad holders in A5 or A4. I've been looking at one of these for my work. So classy!

The Pilot Metropolitan is a great pen, and I love that black one with the dots. I prefer the Pilot medium to the fine, but if you are writing on crappy office paper a lot, a fine nib will work way better. You can swap the nib out of another metro or a kakuno (for that smiley face nib!).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I was just in Japan and bought two of the Pilot Kakuno, one fine and one medium.

I tried to find the Pilot Metropolitan but they didn't have any.

The Kakuno is a really nice pen and I'm pretty happy with it. I've kind of been bitten by the fountain pen bug and now I want to get a bunch of them.

I also tried to find the Hobonichi diary but it was sold out everywhere.
God I love Japan. So many bookstores and stationary stores. It's like heaven to me. I need to move there ASAP

I've noticed the TWSBI nibs are so much better than the Lamy ones.

sikkinixx

Funny seeing this thread. I ordered a Pilot Petit1 for kicks a couple months back on amazon.ca and it finally arrived! I'm fairly impressed with the little thing. I
m kind of tempted to order the petit3 with the felt nub as I feel like I would use a thicker tip more. Can't use it with my FieldNotes book, however, since the pages are water-resistant or whatever. Are all their notebooks like that or is it because I got the expedition ones? I suppose it's good as it sits in my backpocket for months at a time and gets all bent and kinda damp at times.

I am about to change it up a bit. Big deal for me as I am not a person that likes change. I have used the same ink for 20 years. I love it, it does well for what I need it to do but it is time I go out into the wild. AURORA BLACK has been good to me but time to try something crazy.

Any suggestions? It is going into my daily pen which is a 2000 so as a requirement the ink has to be easy to find. Even though I said I want to go crazy I unfortunately cannot go with pink or orange as the recipients of my hastily scrawled notes would probably get sick of such wild colors within a day.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I am about to change it up a bit. Big deal for me as I am not a person that likes change. I have used the same ink for 20 years. I love it, it does well for what I need it to do but it is time I go out into the wild. AURORA BLACK has been good to me but time to try something crazy.

Any suggestions? It is going into my daily pen which is a 2000 so as a requirement the ink has to be easy to find. Even though I said I want to go crazy I unfortunately cannot go with pink or orange as the recipients of my hastily scrawled notes would probably get sick of such wild colors within a day.

Sailor Yama-dori!

Anyone ever had buyers remorse. I bought a Kaweco pen for about 54 bucks because I won a 50 dollar gift card from work now that the pen is here it's very tiny. Not sure if I want to keep it or return it for the 50 dollar Amazon credit.
Not with Fountain Pens so far, but that's why I started with a Metropolitan and a Plumix combo and am slowly working my way up to more expensive pens.

In the future, I believe Goulet's site lists sizes of pens under technical specs, so check the measurements before buying.

Also, Dark Lilac Ink is back in stock on Goulet's site if anyone was wanting some. It sold out very quickly in the first round, and is cheap enough that you shouldn't waffle too hard over it!

Anyone ever had buyers remorse. I bought a Kaweco pen for about 54 bucks because I won a 50 dollar gift card from work now that the pen is here it's very tiny. Not sure if I want to keep it or return it for the 50 dollar Amazon credit.

How small is the pen? Is a sport? Sometimes things just don't fit well.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
How small is the pen? Is a sport? Sometimes things just don't fit well.
It's a bit too small for my tastes. I'll have to photograph it tomorrow after work. I've already requested a refund through Amazon. I really wanted to like the Kaweco pen. The pen is the liliput aluminum black model. The twsbi pens feel better in my hand and write very well.

Here is a link for the Kaweco pen.

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Lilip...-Nib/pd/7092?gclid=CM-F14j0hc0CFYEehgodG5gHUg

ThisGuy

The products you linked were all for A6 size/Pocket notebooks. You might consider something larger if you will be writing a lot? It all comes down to what you prefer, what you want to carry around.

I'm a huge fan of the Midori Traveler's notebooks. The regular size is the right amount of room for how much I want to write, and you can use a couple of different inserts to cover different tasks. The Passport size is really nice, if you want something smaller. Amazon has great prices for Traveler's notebooks and inserts, if you want to try them out. Their paper is great, and very fountain pen friendly.

The Story Supply Co cover is super nice, but their paper is not great with fountain pens. I switched out the notebook I got with mine for some Calepino notebooks.

Maruman Mnemosyne is very fountain-pen-friendly and their notebooks are really nice. They make nice pad holders in A5 or A4. I've been looking at one of these for my work. So classy!

The Pilot Metropolitan is a great pen, and I love that black one with the dots. I prefer the Pilot medium to the fine, but if you are writing on crappy office paper a lot, a fine nib will work way better. You can swap the nib out of another metro or a kakuno (for that smiley face nib!).

Glad to hear the pen was a good choice and I can swap out nibs!

I would love something bigger, but for this particular part of my job I need something I can jot quick notes down and throw back in my pocket and keep moving. So the small size is ideal. I love the midori passport but I worry it's too small and if I use other pocket inserts they'll hang out. Which isnt a big deal, but I want a pocket size cover that fits most sizes. That way I can experiment with different brand of inserts and see which I like best. Field notes one day, banditapple peewee's the next.

Would you have any recommendations with that in mind for covers? I'm leaning towards the supply-co you mentioned, seems to fit everything, and has the midori look.

Massdrop has a special on J Herbin 1670 ink. $60 for 3 bottles and you choose any three of the four colors (Bleu Ocean, Emerald of Chivor, Stormy Grey, or Rouge Hematite).

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Glad to hear the pen was a good choice and I can swap out nibs!

I would love something bigger, but for this particular part of my job I need something I can jot quick notes down and throw back in my pocket and keep moving. So the small size is ideal. I love the midori passport but I worry it's too small and if I use other pocket inserts they'll hang out. Which isnt a big deal, but I want a pocket size cover that fits most sizes. That way I can experiment with different brand of inserts and see which I like best. Field notes one day, banditapple peewee's the next.

Would you have any recommendations with that in mind for covers? I'm leaning towards the supply-co you mentioned, seems to fit everything, and has the midori look.

Story Supply Co's offering sounds right up your alley. I love the colors of my cover. They are $30 - $5 off - for Father's Day.

I'm meaning to make a post about stationery subscription services - I've tried two great ones. The last Moustache Stationery box had a leather cover they had custom made for them. It is really really nice. It's a little wider than the Story Supply Co model, meaning it can fit larger notebooks, but it also has an interior pen loop in that extra space, which is a great touch. You can keep everything together in a compact package. It also has 3 loops for notebooks in the spine - most cases have one and you use elastics to attach more notebooks cover-to-cover. The loops built into the cover are a better design.

This model is $40 and you don't have the color options, but I think it's a higher quality product:

http://www.store.moustachestationery.com/shop/product/301664612

Honestly I love the both. There are other companies offering similar products - these are just the ones I've tried. I will post pics when I am back home on Sunday.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
TWSBI is bringing back the orange 580AL! It's a different, more intense shade of orange. Looks fantastic! I need it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGMr1GlzEo1/

Also, for ballpoint users, I ordered a Pilot S20 ballpoint. Jetpens has them for $33, but you can get one from a reseller in Japan on Amazon for more like $20. Took forever to get here, but this is a freaking nice pen! I have the mechanical pencil and I love it. This has the same beautiful wood body, with this subtle curve that makes it wonderful to hold and beautiful to look at. It writes very smoothly, too. I swapped out the fine tip refill it came with for a medium and it is silky smooth. The medium refills are "Dr Grip Center of Gravity" refills.

It's a bit too small for my tastes. I'll have to photograph it tomorrow after work. I've already requested a refund through Amazon. I really wanted to like the Kaweco pen. The pen is the liliput aluminum black model. The twsbi pens feel better in my hand and write very well.

Here is a link for the Kaweco pen.

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Lilip...-Nib/pd/7092?gclid=CM-F14j0hc0CFYEehgodG5gHUg

Ah, okay. Yeah if it is not a good match then don't force it. I see they have a fireblue model of that pen... now I want it.

I have some Rhodia paper on the way \o/. I stumbled upon some decent prices for it on Amazon UK when I was scratching around for some cheapish items to get the order over £20 to give me free postage. I need some decent paper as my Safari broad nib isn't fond of junk paper. Everyone seems to speak highly of it so I'm pretty excited now :D.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
It looks like Pilot is replacing (adding to?) the con-50 with the new con-40. I haven't tried one yet, but I'll post impressions when I pick one up!

aWjVWcC.png

It looks like Pilot is replacing (adding to?) the con-50 with the new con-40. I haven't tried one yet, but I'll post impressions when I pick one up!

aWjVWcC.png

I've got a new blue matte VP in the mail that I think will include one. I'll report back in a couple of days.

RESULT: The little BBs inside make the pen sound cheap if you hear them rattling around inside. I've also had a hard time getting a good fill without filling the converter separately with a syringe. Get's the job done I suppose, but the capacity is so low I think I'll just refill cartridges from now on.

giga

Suggestions for smooth fountain pen friendly notebooks (dot grid), that's also not too expensive? Willing to spend up to Rhodia prices, but I'm also looking for lower priced suggestions since I also write a lot of throwaway stuff at work. Really can't stand tooth, so smoothness is the most important thing I'm looking for.

I'm finding plenty of notebooks, but not many seem to make them in dot grid other than Rhodia.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just bought an Iroshizuku Kon-peki 50ml for 19.50 with free shipping on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-INK-5...521583?hash=item2cae38d6af:g:UPkAAOxycD9TRP6t

Is this legitimate? The guy has 99.6 positive feedback. He's got tons of other iroshizuku inks for cheap too.

You'll often find Japanese third party sellers offering Iroshizuku for almost half of the price of the MSRP as it is much cheaper there than it is in other countries. Pilot USA sells at a high markup partially due to import costs, which you'd get closer to if you bought from someone like Engeika after shipping and fees were added. There are a few very well known eBay and Amazon retailers who offer Japanese stationary, and are completely legitimate! The only downside is that you have no warranty for pens, but as far as inks go, that's not something you'd have anyways.

data

You'll often find Japanese third party sellers offering Iroshizuku for almost half of the price of the MSRP as it is much cheaper there than it is in other countries. Pilot USA sells at a high markup partially due to import costs, which you'd get closer to if you bought from someone like Engeika after shipping and fees were added. There are a few very well known eBay and Amazon retailers who offer Japanese stationary, and are completely legitimate! The only downside is that you have no warranty for pens, but as far as inks go, that's not something you'd have anyways.

... So you're telling me I just scored a legitimate Kon-peki 50ml for €17.03. Wow.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
... So you're telling me I just scored a legitimate Kon-peki 50ml for €17.03. Wow.

You did! Enjoy~

My girlfriend found this pen recently and gave it to me. I'm trying to identify what kind of pen I have and trying to find a converter for it so I can use it.

EDIT: Link to the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/4Kh6k

Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like a Nemosine Fission in Gunmetal! They're currently offering a selection of converters in various colors for $2.99 from their official store. They're universal with all Nemosine pens too, so you could easily use it with any of their models if you wanted to pick up some others in the future.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm not ready to call it better or worse yet. I generally like the way that it feels when I write, but I think the pen being lighter than my Metro is really throwing me off.

I enjoy having pens of very different weightd, but the contrast can indeed be weird. Te Safari Al-star is a little weightier.

What nib did you get? Lamy M is no good or me. F and XF are where it is at.

Top Bottom