• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

Prez

I haven't used a fountain pen in over 15 years and I want to try one again but I'm left handed. Thought about getting a Lamy Safari first but I read that the grip can cut in a leftie's finger. What's a good alternative to start?

I haven't used a fountain pen in over 15 years and I want to try one again but I'm left handed. Thought about getting a Lamy Safari first but I read that the grip can cut in a leftie's finger. What's a good alternative to start?

I think there's more posts around page 5 about lefties, but toff bought an Ohto Dude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195342482&postcount=221

Post with tutorial on writing with a FP if you're left handed and a couple other pen choices:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194586342&highlight=leftie#post194586342

Prez

I think there's more posts around page 5 about lefties, but toff bought an Ohto Dude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195342482&postcount=221

Post with tutorial on writing with a FP if you're left handed and a couple other pen choices:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194586342&highlight=leftie#post194586342

Couldn't find that one and the look of the Safari didn't appeal to me so I just got a Parker IM. Will try it out later today.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
You can get nibs modified at an oblique angle for lefties (or righties). I've never tried one, so I can't speak to the comfort, but it is a way to get your hand a little more out of the way, or to compensate for the crazy ways lefties hold their pens.

http://www.nibgrinder.com/

Prez

Let me know how it goes. My sister is a lefty, and I'm always on the prowl for a good birthday gift for her.

I've tried it out and I love it. Feels great in my hand and it's easy to write without using any pressure. It's the first time I'm writing with a fountain pen in over 15 years though so I don't have much of a reference.

toff74

I've tried it out and I love it. Feels great in my hand and it's easy to write without using any pressure. It's the first time I'm writing with a fountain pen in over 15 years though so I don't have much of a reference.

I picked up a Lamy Vista and it just hasn't clicked. Don't know whether it's the shaped grip (for righties) or that there might be a small nib misalignment I just can't write with it.

I'd would advise a Faber Castel Basic. These have super smooth nibs and the fine puts down a nice line without being super wet and dependant on the ink dries quickly for zero smudge writing and not as expensive you think!.

Finally Kaweco have nice entry pens like the sport or for a little more the liliput. Great looking pens for a gift. The extra fine nibs are so smooth, even for a lefty (like me).

I picked up a Lamy Vista and it just hasn't clicked. Don't know whether it's the shaped grip (for righties) or that there might be a small nib misalignment I just can't write with it.

I'd would advise a Faber Castel Basic. These have super smooth nibs and the fine puts down a nice line without being super wet and dependant on the ink dries quickly for zero smudge writing and not as expensive you think!.

Finally Kaweco have nice entry pens like the sport or for a little more the liliput. Great looking pens for a gift. The extra fine nibs are so smooth, even for a lefty (like me).

Thanks for the sinister inputs! :D

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
First day at my new job I find out that, because of the documentation we do for regulatory stuff, we can *only* use ballpoint pens.

I considered quitting on the spot.

First day at my new job I find out that, because of the documentation we do for regulatory stuff, we can *only* use ballpoint pens.

My spouse has a refillable Pilot something-or-other ballpoint for work, just in case you need another semi-affordable (but will eventually bleed you dry) addiction. How to justify this to the wife? It uses all the lovely ink you already own.

(Unless there is a company standard pen or ink color requirement. In which case... are you sure quitting isn't an option?)

giga

Would a jetstream work? I think it's technically a ballpoint.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Would a jetstream work? I think it's technically a ballpoint.

They really want you to just use the blue or black shitty ballpoints they have. I understand why and I am a tad reluctant to rock the boat on my second day of work :p

And honestly this hobby is even better if I get to develop a persecution complex over it!

Nymerio

I've started writing a journal/diary this year and I went with a leather bound book with hand made paper. I'm not really happy with it though, because first of all the pages don't have any lines and I have to draw my own to keep it straight and it's absorbing ink like crazy so the colors look off.

Does anyone else here keep a journal and if so, what do you use or what would you recommend?

I've started writing a journal/diary this year and I went with a leather bound book with hand made paper. I'm not really happy with it though, because first of all the pages don't have any lines and I have to draw my own to keep it straight and it's absorbing ink like crazy so the colors look off.

Does anyone else here keep a journal and if so, what do you use or what would you recommend?
If you put a piece of paper with dark lines underneath the blank paper you are writing on, do the lines show through the paper? Alternatively there are items called writing boards (or pencil boards) that serve that purpose as well as make the writing surface harder.

I keep a journal, using a Hobonichi Techo. It's grid-lined and has thin yet sturdy paper to have a page per day (and many more pages like month-view pages) and still be compact. You probably wouldn't have the issues with your ink with it but someone else might be able to tell you if you would, if you say which ink you use. Keep in mind it is A6-sized, which means it is quarter the size of an A4 piece of paper (it is 4.1"×5.8" for imperial-system folk). There is a Japanese-language-only version twice the size, as well as other variants.
https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_hpr.html
The company that makes it is run by Shigesato Itoi, the lead designer of the Mother series of videogames (of which Earthbound belongs to).
Here's a thread on neogaf about it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157405

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Depends on the size you're looking for, but there are plenty of great choices for fountain pen friendly notebooks!

I'll start by gushing a little about Tomoe River paper. It's impossibly thin - think tracing paper - but is extremely resilient, and is one of the best options for fountain pen users around. It resists unsavory characteristics from even the most foul-tempered inks, and brings out the shading and sheen in inks that typically don't feature either on other papers. It's found in the popular Hobonichi day planner, designed by Itoi Shigesato. For general purpose notebooks suited for use as a journal, my top recommendation goes to Nanami Paper's Seven Seas notebook series. It's A5 size, which gives plenty of room per page to jot down whatever crosses your mind. They go out of stock almost instantly, so availability is an issue, but I love mine and can barely imagine using anything else.

Tomoe River does exhibit what we call 'ghosting' or 'see-through', where you can easily see what was written on the other side of the page, but it never really harms legibility. I was pointed towards the Taroko Enigma today, which uses a heavier form of Tomoe River intended for industrial printing, that may cut down significantly on this. But, I can't speak on if the 68gsm paper performs as well as its 52gsm sibling.

Next up is Midori MD. Another A5 size notebook, Midori MD paper is a strange beast. It is much thicker than most other papers, a few slivers away from classifying as card stock. Writing on it will bring out the tooth in even the smoothest of pens, which some users don't like. But, I love my MD all the same. It handles linework with a distinct crispness, and its cream colored pages add a nice, warm touch to any ink's color and shading properties. I use it more for a project planner than a day-to-day journal, but, it might stick with you!

I would be remiss to neglect Rhodia, though I find many of my pens and inks skip on it semi-regularly. They have a ton of size, shape and binding options, including spiral-bound and their luxurious leatherette-Webnotebook. The paper is coated to provide extremely crisp linework, which comes with several drawbacks. The first one most users run into is the elongated dry times, which average ~10-15 seconds longer than other brands. The second is skipping, which won't happen with every pen and ink combination, but has tripped me up on several occasions. Due to the way the paper is coated, the surface can become too slick and leave the pen unable to lay down any ink mid-stroke. Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't so excellent the other 95% of the time I've used it!

There are plenty of other options to look at from companies like Franklin-Christoph, Quo Vadis, and Maruman, but I have the most experience with Tomoe River, Midori and Rhodia paper. They're all quite different, which makes the choice even more personal and a part of the whole writing experience!

data

Do you guys recommend getting the Pilot Metropolitan if I already have a Lamy Safari? Pilot Metropolitans are more expensive here.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Do you guys recommend getting the Pilot Metropolitan if I already have a Lamy Safari? Pilot Metropolitans are more expensive here.

My immediate answer is yes, but one of the Metropolitan's main selling points here is how much cheaper it is compared to its contemporaries, while still offering an outstanding writing experience. If it's more expensive than a Lamy Safari, it's a much harder sell, as both pens are great writers! For me, the Metro will always win out on aesthetics alone. I love the simple cigar shape and smooth curves, with the finished brass body offering just the right amount of visual texture. But, I will say, Lamy is doing everything they can to try and force me into buying their special edition Dark Lilac Safari. Deep purple, matte finish, and darkened metal nib with matching clip? I'd almost be in love if I could live with Lamy's chunky, industrial design.

I think, with the two being priced so differently in your area, the biggest difference will come down to how much you love your Safari. Does the forced triangle grip work for you? Or would you rather be allowed to use a grip of your own? The Metropolitan's grip section is similar to what you'd find on most other pens, so it would give you more freedom to hold the pen as you please. Other than that, it's really down to what you think looks best, because the nibs both perform quite well.

leroidys

I'm using a pentalic artists sketchbook/journal that's served me really well.

data

My immediate answer is yes, but one of the Metropolitan's main selling points here is how much cheaper it is compared to its contemporaries, while still offering an outstanding writing experience. If it's more expensive than a Lamy Safari, it's a much harder sell, as both pens are great writers! For me, the Metro will always win out on aesthetics alone. I love the simple cigar shape and smooth curves, with the finished brass body offering just the right amount of visual texture. But, I will say, Lamy is doing everything they can to try and force me into buying their special edition Dark Lilac Safari. Deep purple, matte finish, and darkened metal nib with matching clip? I'd almost be in love if I could live with Lamy's chunky, industrial design.

I think, with the two being priced so differently in your area, the biggest difference will come down to how much you love your Safari. Does the forced triangle grip work for you? Or would you rather be allowed to use a grip of your own? The Metropolitan's grip section is similar to what you'd find on most other pens, so it would give you more freedom to hold the pen as you please. Other than that, it's really down to what you think looks best, because the nibs both perform quite well.

My only complaint with the Safari that I have is that it's slippery, while I went looking for the Metropoliton on some webshops I saw that Lamy has a new special edition and it looked amazing, and it's also matte, which would fix the issue i have with my current one. I also think the Lamy Safari is way too light, is the Metropolitan heavier than the Safari? I'm probably going to get the Dark Lilac one first, and the Metropolitan a little after, I'm not sure yet.

Nymerio

If you put a piece of paper with dark lines underneath the blank paper you are writing on, do the lines show through the paper? Alternatively there are items called writing boards (or pencil boards) that serve that purpose as well as make the writing surface harder.

I keep a journal, using a Hobonichi Techo. It's grid-lined and has thin yet sturdy paper to have a page per day (and many more pages like month-view pages) and still be compact. You probably wouldn't have the issues with your ink with it but someone else might be able to tell you if you would, if you say which ink you use. Keep in mind it is A6-sized, which means it is quarter the size of an A4 piece of paper (it is 4.1"×5.8" for imperial-system folk). There is a Japanese-language-only version twice the size, as well as other variants.
https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_hpr.html
The company that makes it is run by Shigesato Itoi, the lead designer of the Mother series of videogames (of which Earthbound belongs to).
Here's a thread on neogaf about it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157405

I tried that, but the paper is so thick you can't see the lines through it. I'd prefer if the paper came with lines to begin with, I'm tired of drawing my own. I actually considered A6 before I got my current journal but when I got it I realized that A6 would've been too small for me. The current one is around A5.

7ygrS4c.jpg

I'm using a pentalic artists sketchbook/journal that's served me really well.

Didn't know about Pentalic, but the one I saw on amazon looks interesting. A4 with 220 pages. I think I may end up buying this. Pentalic Sketch Book

Depends on the size you're looking for, but there are plenty of great choices for fountain pen friendly notebooks!

I'll start by gushing a little about Tomoe River paper. It's impossibly thin - think tracing paper - but is extremely resilient, and is one of the best options for fountain pen users around. It resists unsavory characteristics from even the most foul-tempered inks, and brings out the shading and sheen in inks that typically don't feature either on other papers. It's found in the popular Hobonichi day planner, designed by Itoi Shigesato. For general purpose notebooks suited for use as a journal, my top recommendation goes to Nanami Paper's Seven Seas notebook series. It's A5 size, which gives plenty of room per page to jot down whatever crosses your mind. They go out of stock almost instantly, so availability is an issue, but I love mine and can barely imagine using anything else.

Tomoe River does exhibit what we call 'ghosting' or 'see-through', where you can easily see what was written on the other side of the page, but it never really harms legibility. I was pointed towards the Taroko Enigma today, which uses a heavier form of Tomoe River intended for industrial printing, that may cut down significantly on this. But, I can't speak on if the 68gsm paper performs as well as its 52gsm sibling.

Next up is Midori MD. Another A5 size notebook, Midori MD paper is a strange beast. It is much thicker than most other papers, a few slivers away from classifying as card stock. Writing on it will bring out the tooth in even the smoothest of pens, which some users don't like. But, I love my MD all the same. It handles linework with a distinct crispness, and its cream colored pages add a nice, warm touch to any ink's color and shading properties. I use it more for a project planner than a day-to-day journal, but, it might stick with you!

I would be remiss to neglect Rhodia, though I find many of my pens and inks skip on it semi-regularly. They have a ton of size, shape and binding options, including spiral-bound and their luxurious leatherette-Webnotebook. The paper is coated to provide extremely crisp linework, which comes with several drawbacks. The first one most users run into is the elongated dry times, which average ~10-15 seconds longer than other brands. The second is skipping, which won't happen with every pen and ink combination, but has tripped me up on several occasions. Due to the way the paper is coated, the surface can become too slick and leave the pen unable to lay down any ink mid-stroke. Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't so excellent the other 95% of the time I've used it!

There are plenty of other options to look at from companies like Franklin-Christoph, Quo Vadis, and Maruman, but I have the most experience with Tomoe River, Midori and Rhodia paper. They're all quite different, which makes the choice even more personal and a part of the whole writing experience!

A4 or A5 is what I'd like to go with, but I want something that actually looks nice. Ideally something with leather, like the one I posted farther up. I write up two twenty (A5) pages a week so I'd like something that actually lasts me a while. I really like Rhodia and the one I'm considering from them is the Web Notebook. The thing I like most about it the little pocket at the back where you can put stuff in, because I started adding pictures and stuff and it would be neat to that stuff there.

KKothQz.png

Thanks for the replies guys!

timewyrm

I'm a lefty, and bought a bog standard Parker pen a few months ago. But, I did also buy Parker Quink cartridges as they're fast drying ink cartridges. Because they dry faster it stops me smudging my writing as a lefty !

The other tip I've learned in general as a lefty, is to keep my book at a 45 degree angle as that improves my writing. I have to say that the fountain pen makes it easier for me to write and for longer without my wrist hurting. Oh yeah, also trying to write by moving my arm rather than wrist.

I do have one problem though. If I don't use my pen for a couple of hours, I can't get any ink through the nib, unless I soak it under the tap. I've got exams coming up soon and want to use my Parker. Any tips so that I won't have to spend like 15 mins of my exams to just get ink flowing into the nib ?

Nezumi

Every time I come into this thread I'm compelled to buy new fountain pens even though I'm quite happy with my Pilot Prera. Today I finally caved. I just ordered two Metropolitan Retro pops (green and violet) , because, they look so damn good.

Now I have to resist the urge to buy more ink...

Edit: Well didn't buy any ink... Instead I got a plumix set with three different nibs and two con-50. So... since I don't want to spent even more money, any good online sources on learning calligraphy...

Interesting article on handwriting notes versus typing notes: http://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away

NPR said:
As laptops become smaller and more ubiquitous, and with the advent of tablets, the idea of taking notes by hand just seems old-fashioned to many students today. Typing your notes is faster — which comes in handy when there's a lot of information to take down. But it turns out there are still advantages to doing things the old-fashioned way.

Nezumi

So, I received a bunch of samples from the Diamine Shimmering Ink collection. They look real nice but when I put them in my Prera, which has a fine nip all the particles seemed to have clogged the nip because I could only write a few lines before the pen dried up :( Does anybody know if that's still a problem with a medium nib?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So, I received a bunch of samples from the Diamine Shimmering Ink collection. They look real nice but when I put them in my Prera, which has a fine nip all the particles seemed to have clogged the nip because I could only write a few lines before the pen dried up :( Does anybody know if that's still a problem with a medium nib?

They do much better in my M nib pens, yeah.

Nezumi

So, my Metropolitans arrived today, but when I tried fitting my CON-50 into them it didn't fit. Does anyone now if maybe Pilot uses a different system in Europe than it does in Japan? (My converter came with the Prera). The cartridges that came with the pen was one of those cheap ones with the small opening. Like those:

pe1757_2_2.jpg

I have the feeling they are considerably different than the Japanese ones...

tiijj

So, my Metropolitans arrived today, but when I tried fitting my CON-50 into them it didn't fit. Does anyone now if maybe Pilot uses a different system in Europe than it does in Japan? (My converter came with the Prera). The cartridges that came with the pen was one of those cheap ones with the small opening. Like those:

pe1757_2_2.jpg

I have the feeling they are considerably different than the Japanese ones...

Those looks like standard international cartridges

Nezumi

Those looks like standard international cartridges

Yes, and they fit the Metropolitan just fine, but I thought that the Metropolitan would fit the CON-50 which it doesn't. Not to bad, I guess, but what kind of converter can I use instead? Would a simple standard converter do in that case?

tiijj

Yes, and they fit the Metropolitan just fine, but I thought that the Metropolitan would fit the CON-50 which it doesn't. Not to bad, I guess, but what kind of converter can I use instead? Would a simple standard converter do in that case?

The pilot metropolitan uses the pilot cartridge.

Here's the difference:

The standard intl. cartridge on the left and the pilot cartridge on the right

qL3slES.jpg

Nezumi

The pilot metropolitan uses the pilot cartridge.

Here's the difference:

Yes, only that the Metropolitan's I received today (I live in Germany and the pens came from Italy) seemed to be fitted with a different system as the definitely take the standard cartridges but not my Pilot CON-50. I was wondering if this is maybe some European oddity.

tiijj

Yes, only that the Metropolitan's I received today (I live in Germany and the pens came from Italy) seemed to be fitted with a different system as the definitely take the standard cartridges but not my Pilot CON-50. I was wondering if this is maybe some European oddity.

Oh, I'm not familiar with EU ones but they sell the standard international cart converter as well.

Nezumi

Ah, good to know. I was worrying if maybe I received some very clever fake :D But what do I use the two extra con-50's I ordered for now... If only those Vanishing points weren't too expensive for me at the moment...

tiijj

Ah, good to know. I was worrying if maybe I received some very clever fake :D But what do I use the two extra con-50's I ordered for now... If only those Vanishing points weren't too expensive for me at the moment...

Would u mind taking a pic, I havent seen a pilot that uses the standard intl cart before.

I thought I read somewhere (in this thread?) that Metropolitans cost more in the EU, but have the Standard International cartridges instead of the Pilot Proprietary ones? I wouldn't worry about it being a counterfeit, since the nib and presumably cap are identical to mine and have the proper Pilot branding.

I have that exact same Purple Metro Pop outfitted with the Plumix 1.1 italic nib, use it the most out of my small collection. Definitely thinking about getting that Dark Lilac Lamy when it goes up on Goulet (on Monday?), especially if they're doing a gift set for that. Tax return pen!

Nezumi

I paid around 18 Euro each for my Metropolitan's. That was by far the cheapest offer though. I realized that it is in general rather hard getting Pilot fountain pens in Germany. Both stores I went to while having dozens of different Lamy, Pelikan, Faber-Castel and so on didn't have a single Pilot. Even on Amazon.de there isn't that much too choose from. And like I said I ordered mine via eBay from Italy. The con-50 I ordered come from Hong Kong...
I really wish there'd be something like Gouletpens or Jetpens over here :(

Oh and I saw that Dark purple Lamy and thought it looked awesome until I touched it. They went for some odd rough texture instead of their usual smooth one. I didn't like it.

I thought I read somewhere (in this thread?) that Metropolitans cost more in the EU, but have the Standard International cartridges instead of the Pilot Proprietary ones? I wouldn't worry about it being a counterfeit, since the nib and presumably cap are identical to mine and have the proper Pilot branding.

I have that exact same Purple Metro Pop outfitted with the Plumix 1.1 italic nib, use it the most out of my small collection. Definitely thinking about getting that Dark Lilac Lamy when it goes up on Goulet (on Monday?), especially if they're doing a gift set for that. Tax return pen!
You're right. Pilot Metros in most of the world use the Pilot proprietary cartridge design (that's what the con-50 works with). The Metro is Europe is sold as the Pilot MR, and uses standard international cartridges, which she is imo much nicer.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I paid around 18 Euro each for my Metropolitan's. That was by far the cheapest offer though. I realized that it is in general rather hard getting Pilot fountain pens in Germany. Both stores I went to while having dozens of different Lamy, Pelikan, Faber-Castel and so on didn't have a single Pilot. Even on Amazon.de there isn't that much too choose from. And like I said I ordered mine via eBay from Italy. The con-50 I ordered come from Hong Kong...
I really wish there'd be something like Gouletpens or Jetpens over here :(

Oh and I saw that Dark purple Lamy and thought it looked awesome until I touched it. They went for some odd rough texture instead of their usual smooth one. I didn't like it.

The dark purple Lamy calls to me. We'll see what people think of the texture. Just based on the buzz online, I imagine it's going to be a huge seller.

You can find a lot of discussion online about why Pilot pens are harder to find and more expensive in Europe. It's a big point of contention in the FP community.

I'd love to trade stuff or just help ship stuff to people in Europe. Shipping is not bad at all from the US. It can be cheaper to have things shipped from here than pay Euro retail prices. PM me if you're interested.

My Lamy 2000 should be here tomorrow! My excitement is palpable! Go on - palpate it. You'll see.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jumped into the wild world of Fountain Pens with the Pilot Metropolitan and Fine nib. I figure, since I tend to write on the smaller side, the fine nib would be appreciated. I've always had a hate filled relationship with pens due to how thick the lines tend to be when it comes to writing.

The dark purple Lamy calls to me. We'll see what people think of the texture. Just based on the buzz online, I imagine it's going to be a huge seller.

You can find a lot of discussion online about why Pilot pens are harder to find and more expensive in Europe. It's a big point of contention in the FP community.

I'd love to trade stuff or just help ship stuff to people in Europe. Shipping is not bad at all from the US. It can be cheaper to have things shipped from here than pay Euro retail prices. PM me if you're interested.

My Lamy 2000 should be here tomorrow! My excitement is palpable! Go on - palpate it. You'll see.

I hope it's good for you... If not you are the problem not the pen /s

toff74

You can find a lot of discussion online about why Pilot pens are harder to find and more expensive in Europe. It's a big point of contention in the FP community

Around the price of Pilot Metropolitan in the UK there are so many great pens that are often overlooked.. One particular pen is the Faber Castell Loom. It might not have the funky body colours, but you get a damn amazing nib (I got the fine). It's great to look at and the ink flows through it beautifully. Not only that but you get a chunky top which comes in a huge number of colours if you so wish! As good as any steel nibbed pen if you ask me!

Dark Lilac went up on Goulet today! I just put in my order for a Safari. I'm very excited, my last order from them was very quick and packaged extremely well.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I am going to have a rough time going back to cartridges. Piston filling for the win.

What kind of loser comes into a fountain pen thread and talks about putting cartridges or a converter in his PISTON-FILLING Lamy 2000????

This guy!

I'd feel like an idiot, but I am too busy marveling at how smooth this pen is. Holy shitballs!

What kind of loser comes into a fountain pen thread and talks about putting cartridges or a converter in his PISTON-FILLING Lamy 2000????

This guy!

I'd feel like an idiot, but I am too busy marveling at how smooth this pen is. Holy shitballs!

I didn't want to assume so I didn't say anything.

I am glad you like it.

Top Bottom