• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France tests banning phones in 200 schools

Do you agreee whith banning phones in schools?

• Yes

Votes: 149 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • No sure/ No opinion

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
33767761-2-1333-OVR-1.jpg
You have to put that phone down, it’s why I appreciated going to school in the 2000s and 2010s

I think my phone philosophy was a little check and text after class, we treated phones like phones back than now phones are about internet, apps etc.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yeah, my niece is about to turn 9 and is already hooked on social media/tablets/Roblox. Her mom doesn't let her have a smartphone yet but many of her friends already have them.

That's the killer. It's the peer pressure and socialization aspect of internet and social media usage for young kids. If you don't have an online presence, you miss out on stuff your friends are doing. And it starts super young now.

Parents don't care and give their kids tablets at age 3-4 to occupy them. So they're terminally online by age 6 and then their entire social lives revolve around their tablets because their friends are using them, too.

I have two boys ages 4 and 2 and they are blissfully unaware about tablets. But I don't know how much longer I can keep that up. My oldest's best friend at daycare has a tablet and uses it constantly according to his parents. Which is shocking because they seem like good attentive parents. So it's only a matter of time until my oldest figures that out and wants one of his own.

Parents need to band together and not allow internet-connected devices until the teen years at the earliest and certainly no social media accounts or TikTok. But too many parents view them as quick and easy escapes from actual parenting or they just immediately give in to their kids' demands.

I feel like any kids who can make it through adolescence in the modern era without developing brainrot will be at a huge advantage in life.
Too true. I wish you luck though in the future with your two. But try not to worry too much, just make sure to keep dissuading them from certain online things and aspects in general, it gets monotonous after a while but you just have to stick with it

But I'm in total agreement too. It seems everything these days is geared towards knackering your children in some form or other. From food, TV, Internet, school. Everything

it's pretty damn evil when you sit back and think about it.

I've just become an old man moaning about it all now and he just tells me to stop going on all the time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It just irks me about all the kids being warped and no one seems to give two shites.

Hunter 99

People as a whole are too stupid for smart phones let alone teenagers and lower.

Just a simple case in point. My wife loves firework shows so I've seen a lot over the years and now days I can barely make it through one for all the people filming WITH THEIR PHONE LIGHT ON. How dumb do you to be not to realize or think how annoying that is to others or that it helps in anyway?
I get you,it's so fucking annoying that most people can't just live for the moment anymore.have to record EVERYTHING instead of actually enjoying the live moment/experience.
It's retarded and most people aren't even going to watch that shitty recorded video ever again and end up deleting it from their gallery.
Such a shame how the masses have become.

TehDark

Banned
One of the main reasons they want to ban phones is because you can find out the stuff they're teaching you is fake .

It's well established that schools are a place where the government has more control and jurisdiction over what goes in and out, due to the unique fact that they are in control of a bunch of minors for a huge part of the day.

This is when all indoctrination starts and when they leave school they start to self-domesticate.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
That has to be one of the dumbest ideas in human history.
Homeschooling has been around for a long time it is effective and works. I was homeschooled and never went to public school. With the exception of posting on an internet message board I am pretty normal.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s insane we ever let them be allowed. I see dumbass parents argue they are necessary because of school shootings…. just completely sacrifice your kids ability to concentrate at school because of the tiny chance a school shooting can happen and then they can call you to let you know they are ok?

I don’t actually buy that excuse. People just want an excuse for completely letting go of the responsibilities of being a parent and giving your kids tough love.

simpatico

Gold Member
I didn't know phones were even allowed in schools. Seems like a terrible idea. I'm done with American public schools. My oldest got through 7th grade and a pulled the plug and home schooled all 3. Such a stark difference from the schools I went to last century. Worthless at best, severely damaging at worst.

Last edited:
That has to be one of the dumbest ideas in human history.
Um ... why? My sister-in-law homeschools my four nephews, and she stopped with the older two only when they entered high school. By then, they were far ahead of their peers and are on track to graduate early. I’m not sure where you got the idea that homeschooling is bad, but it's actually seen a significant rise in the last few years. Even more interesting is the demographic with the biggest rise in homeschooling is black families, who have turned to homeschooling as the public school system continues to fail them and lower educational standards.

Quasicat

No smartphones in school, and no social media accounts until 18. That’d be a start.
I teach 8th grade and the amount of kids that I have had that are addicted to social media is sickening.

I had a girl last school year that was so addicted to Tik Tok, she would get physically violent when anyone tried to take it away from her. Eventually they forced her into home instruction, but her grandparents just left her alone in her room with her phone and she did nothing else. She’s now a few days into being a freshman and she’s already been suspended for attacking a teacher after they took her phone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I teach 8th grade and the amount of kids that I have had that are addicted to social media is sickening.

I had a girl last school year that was so addicted to Tik Tok, she would get physically violent when anyone tried to take it away from her. Eventually they forced her into home instruction, but her grandparents just left her alone in her room with her phone and she did nothing else. She’s now a few days into being a freshman and she’s already been suspended for attacking a teacher after they took her phone.
I’ve seen it happen too. It’s as powerful an addiction as anything, especially when kids start on it early.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I finished schools before smartphones, but I can see them as tools more for the best. Limiting access should be a thing to help focusing, but ban the tool is stupid

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Any parent that has a modicum of wit knows that mobile phones are the fucking worse thing ever, I absolutely hated giving my kids theirs and literally held out till they where the last ones in the class ffs, they should be allowed nowhere near them till their in the highschool and even at that they should be banned within the school grounds forcing the wee fuckers to communicate and socialize the old skool way, thankfully my kids two schools are also considering a ban within school time

Just to add, if you give or allow your kids unfettered access to TikTok, Insta, Facebook or Snapchat you need fucking slapped

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Um ... why? My sister-in-law homeschools my four nephews, and she stopped with the older two only when they entered high school. By then, they were far ahead of their peers and are on track to graduate early. I’m not sure where you got the idea that homeschooling is bad, but it's actually seen a significant rise in the last few years. Even more interesting is the demographic with the biggest rise in homeschooling is black families, who have turned to homeschooling as the public school system continues to fail them and lower educational standards.

For one, it removes the socialization with other students and teachers, that helps develop social skills.
Then, there is the problem that a parent will never be as proficient in several subjects, as a group of professional teachers, each specialize in one subject.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For one, it removes the socialization with other students and teachers, that helps develop social skills.
Then, there is the problem that a parent will never be as proficient in several subjects, as a group of professional teachers, each specialize in one subject.
Yes, socialization is critical for overall development. Homeschooling will be preferable to bad socialization, e.g., a gang-ridden public school where the only way to fit in is to go down a bad path, or perhaps one with other kinds of extreme social contagions, but not otherwise.

Also, apparently zero homeschooled kids got into MIT this past cycle. Homeschooled kids are missing out on opportunities, competition, curiosity. You have to leave the nest and go out into the world.

Drake

I’ve seen it happen too. It’s as powerful an addiction as anything, especially when kids start on it early.
My sisters kids (2 and 5) are both highly addicted to the ipad. It is 100% my sisters fault, but she's such a push over parent that she lets her kids basically do whatever they want. It is a literal tantrum whenever the ipad is taken away. Luckily I only have to witness it a few times a year.

winjer

Gold Member
Yes, socialization is critical for overall development. Homeschooling will be preferable to bad socialization, e.g., a gang-ridden public school where the only way to fit in is to go down a bad path, or perhaps one with other kinds of extreme social contagions, but not otherwise.

Also, apparently zero homeschooled kids got into MIT this past cycle. Homeschooled kids are missing out on opportunities, competition, curiosity. You have to leave the nest and go out into the world.

In Europe, home-schooling is forbidden in several countries. And even in countries where it is allowed, it's very regulated. So it's not a prevalent thing around here.

From what I understand about the educational system in the USA, financing for schools derives from taxes from local districts.
This means that districts with wealthy constituencies, will have great schools. But poorer districts will have the worst schools.
And this means a catch 22, where bad schools produce bad students, that will underperform and get worst jobs, that pay less, thus paying less taxes for schools.
I can see where home-schooling can be better than a school ridden with gangs and social problems.
But that is not a real solution. A real solution would be to improve financing for all schools, especially in poorer districts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I never understood the homeschooling thing.

Even if someone ignores then entire socialization part of it, I dont see how avg joe parents can teach and know all the content teachers cover, especially more complex stuff like math and science. And how does a kid getting homeschooled get graded? Are there standard tests the city forces the kid to do and submit? Or up to the parents to grade their own kid?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
People as a whole are too stupid for smart phones let alone teenagers and lower.

Just a simple case in point. My wife loves firework shows so I've seen a lot over the years and now days I can barely make it through one for all the people filming WITH THEIR PHONE LIGHT ON. How dumb do you to be not to realize or think how annoying that is to others or that it helps in anyway?

Do you enjoy getting pissed off?

Cant you just stand somewhere else? i mean they light up the whole fucking sky, no reason to stand next to someone thats pissing you off.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Do you enjoy getting pissed off?

Cant you just stand somewhere else? i mean they light up the whole fucking sky, no reason to stand next to someone thats pissing you off.

go somewhere like disney world and try to move around during fireworks. :messenger_tears_of_joy: and its MANY people not just a few.

but no i shouldn't have to.. people shouldn't be dumb enough to record fireworks with their phone lights on. Even having their phones up recording is stupid... like the other guy said most will just end up deleted at some point. have some common decency for those around you.

clarky

Gold Member
go somewhere like disney world and try to move around during fireworks. :messenger_tears_of_joy: and its MANY people not just a few.

but no i shouldn't have to.. people shouldn't be dumb enough to record fireworks with their phone lights on. Even having their phones up recording is stupid... like the other guy said most will just end up deleted at some point. have some common decency for those around you.
Ah I get you lol. I was more thinking of firework shows here in the UK. They have the world championships down the road once a year and i can watch them from my garden

Dude, what do you think homeschool kids do all day? Do you imagine they're locked in some medieval dungeon and only allowed out when it's time to learn? They have tons of friends from other homeschool families, at church, and in many other places. When she absolutely couldn't find a way to teach them, she would temporarily hire private tutors who specialize in working with homeschool families and are very familiar with the subjects. These tutors would help both her and the kids learn.

The homeschool curriculum itself does a great job of explaining how and what to teach. And as I mentioned before, the two oldest ones were far ahead of their peers when they entered high school and are on track to graduate early. They're not socially inept because of being homeschooled, and as a bonus, they avoided the bizarre indoctrination that schools seem to be pushing these days. The oldest one is going to be a graphic designer for gaming or animation studios and the second oldest is on track to be a pilot. They're doing okay.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
While we're at it, do away with the idiotic "ipad for every student" nonsense at so many schools. Physical books help kids disengage from the digital world that they're already so addicted to, makes the classroom a more grounded context for studying. Some digital projects / research can be fine on the side, but the books->ipad replacement is a mistake in every way.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

For what it's worth, many homeschooled children participate part-time in organic homeschooling groups that combine students and often have a heavy classics bent with Latin studies etc. I know many homeschool families who are part of such groups and their kids often have quite a breadth to their knowledge. It's usually through churches, as in the cases I am referencing.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
People have done studies on this and there’s really no evidence that home schooled kids turn into weird under socialized freaks. I’m not saying one way or the other but this is basically public school union propaganda.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People have done studies on this and there’s really no evidence that home schooled kids turn into weird under socialized freaks. I’m not saying one way or the other but this is basically public school union propaganda.
When it comes to homeschooling, I'm more interested how the avg parent at home can teach their kids chemistry or calculus when most parents arent that smart, and wouldnt even have the tool set or school supplies to know it, teach it, grade it.

Maybe for easier subjects like artsy and engilsh class anyone can teach it and go over novels and essays.

How would any home teacher teach this:

- complicated math
- complicated science classes that have specialty supplies like in chemistry or biology class
- gym class where schools have all the gear
- shop class where schools have all the gear

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
When it comes to homeschooling, I'm more interested how the avg parent at home can teach their kids chemistry or calculus when most parents arent that smart, and wouldnt even have the tool set or school supplies to know it, teach it, grade it.

Maybe for easier subjects like artsy and engilsh class anyone can teach it and go over novels and essays.

How would any home teacher teach this:

- complicated math
- complicated science classes that have specialty supplies like in chemistry or biology class
- gym class where schools have all the gear
- shop class where schools have all the gear
You do the same thing that the teachers in schools do, follow the syllabus/lesson plan/teacher's book.

Especially these days, you can go online and get amazing lessons/videos/tutorials in stuff like calculus, for free or low cost. Ask around what some parents did during the coof, their kids went through the lesson plans in a few hours, the stuff that takes 7 hours during the day in school. This stuff is not as complicated as, again, the teacher's union wants you to think it is.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That country is a clown show but regardless of the intent, the idea of phones at school has always been off to me. Kids are more distracted than ever. I'm pretty sure the reason they want to do this is the opposite of what my reasonning is and is one step closer to more censorship.

Top Bottom