• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free PC Games (not pirated!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
So I remember reading a thread where people posted links to free PC games. Legit free games, not pirated or anything like that. Anyway, I found this thread from 2006 and I know there was a newer one but I can't find it. Anyway, let's start a new list! The way I would prefer this is done is by posting the name of the game, link where it can be found, short description and a screen shot. These can be flash games or downloadable.

Canabalt
http://www.adamatomic.com/canabalt/
Canabalt-11.PNG

In Canabalt you basically run and jump from rooftop to rooftop while avoiding simple obstacles. It sounds mundane, but it gets faster and faster and is seriosuly addicting!

Marathon Trilogy
http://source.bungie.org/index.php?title=Get_Marathon
0,1425,i=231008,00.jpg

Bungie made this series prior to becoming famous with Halo. It's classic PC fps at it's finest!

Thank you Azentium for putting the replies in list form, you rock!

Action / Adventure
--- Beneath a Steel Sky (PC)
------ Download
--- Chalk (PC)
------ Download
--- Cloud (PC)
------ Download
--- Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2 (PC)
------ Download
--- God of Thunder (PC)
------ Download
--- Hero (PC)
------ Download
--- Hero Core (PC)
------ Download
--- Hidden & Dangerous (PC)
------ Download
--- Iji (PC)
------ Download
--- Transformice (PC)
------ Download
--- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

DoTA
--- League of Legends (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

Fighting
--- One Must Fall 2097 (PC)
------ Download
--- Streets Of Rage Remake (PC)
------ Download
--- Toribash (PC)
------ Download
--- Vanguard Princess (PC)
------ Download

FPS
--- 8-bit Killer (PC)
------ Download
--- .kkrieger (PC)
------ Download
--- Area 51 (PC)
------ Download
--- Battlefield Heroes (PC)
------ Download
--- Chex Quest (PC)
------ Download
--- Marathon Trilogy (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- nQuake (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Quake Live (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download Client
--- Starseige: Tribes (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- The Suffering (PC)
------ Download
--- Urban Terror (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- Warsow (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

Gamebook (Choose your own adventure)
--- Masq (PC)
------ Download

MMORPG
--- Fantasy Earth Zero (PC) *PvP Only
------ Download

Platformer
--- Ben There, Dan That (PC)
------ Download
--- Canabalt (Flash)
------ Play Now
--- Cave Story (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Eversion (PC)
------ Download
--- I Wanna Be The Guy (PC)
------ Download
--- Knytt (PC)
------ Download
--- N (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Runman (PC)
------ Download
--- Spelunky (PC)
------ Download

Puzzle
--- Narbacular Drop (PC)
------ Download
--- Prometheus (PC) *This game no longer requires UT3
------ Download
--- Tag (PC)
------ Download

RPG
--- The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (PC)
------ Download
--- The Spirit Engine 1 (PC)
------ Download

Rougelike
--- Dwarf Fortress (PC)
------ Download
--- Nethack (PC)
------ Download

Shoot 'Em Up
--- FGodmom (PC) *Not compatible with Vista or W7
------ Download
--- Genetos (PC)
------ Download
--- Hydorah (PC)
------ Download
--- rRootage (PC)
------ Download
--- Tyrian (PC) *Mac Port
------ Download
--- Warning Forever (PC)
------ Download
--- Torus Trooper (PC)
------ Download

Shooter
--- Facewound (PC)
------Download
--- GunGirl 2 (PC)
------Download
--- Soldat (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------Download

Simulation:
--- Babylon 5: I've Found Her (PC)
------ Download
--- Theme Hospital (PC/Mac/Linux) *Requires DOSBox to run on Mac and Linux
------ Download
--- Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe (PC)
------ Download
--- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space (PC)
------ Download
--- Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control II) (PC/Mac/Linux) *More information
------ Download

Strategy
--- Battle for Wesnoth (PC)
------ Download
--- Command and Conquer Classics (PC)
------ Download
--- Ground Control (PC)
------ Download
--- Scorched3D (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download

Vehicular Combat
--- Death Rally (PC)
------ Download
--- Mechwarrior 4 (PC)
------ Download

Parham

Banned
Masq (PC Only)
2zgaqvr.jpg

I'm not really sure how to describe this game, other than it being similar to a gamebook. A single playthrough of the game takes about 30-45 minutes and there are about a dozen variations to the central plot. All in all, it is an enjoyable experience.

Gravijah

azentium said:
Masq

2zgaqvr.jpg

I'm not really sure how to describe this game, other than it being similar to a gamebook. A single play through of the game takes about 30-45 minutes and there are about a dozen variations to the central plot. All in all, it is an enjoyable experience.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the link.

Parham

Banned
Credit to Jangaroo for suggesting these two games.

Cave Story (PC/Mac/Linux)

23upvd4.gif

Summary from Wikipedia:
The main character moves across the game screen, and can jump and shoot at will. As the game progresses, a variety of weapons and items can be acquired, some via optional events. Weapons can be obtained from treasure chests or traded at various locations in the game. A 3-level system allows the player to increase the power of their weapons, decreasing likewise with damage taken.

Knytt (PC Only)

x4jd69.jpg

Summary from developer's site:
The Knytt was abducted by an alien! Traveling through space, the UFO flies into a meteor and crashes on a nearby planet. Luckily, the Knytt and the alien survive, but the UFO is a wreck. How can the Knytt possibly find its way back home again? Knytt is a free platform game for Windows featuring exploration, atmosphere, and infinite cuteness.

33eb8a734918dea122c530b5abc432b3-Starsiege__Tribes.jpg

Starseige: Tribes

This was my first real online gaming experience. I can't imagine how many hours I sank in it and all the awesome mods out there. Tribes 2 was very disappointing, sadly.

Parham

Banned
shintoki said:
I've been wondering about this for a while. What's the difference between the free one and pay for one?
The free version has significantly less courses and modes.

Mikey Jr.

Jangaroo said:
Cavestory and Knytts.

Knytts is a great experience. You walk one way, and there are like a million different paths. Its crazy. Couldn't play it though, caused severe eye strain.

Why is the screen so god damn small?

Frawdder

shintoki said:
I've been wondering about this for a while. What's the difference between the free one and pay for one?
Nations Forever only includes the stadium environment and cars, the paid game has 7 different environments and cars along with some additional modes (puzzle, platform and stunt).

Askani

I keep forgetting about Marathon on PC. When I'm reminded that it exists I plan to go and install it but I always forget. I'm going right now.

In High School I was friends with the computer nerds and some of the yearbook kids. We had Marathon set up on a good old AppleTalk network and would play during lunch or after school. Sooo good.

LocoMrPollock said:
Cool, I might try out Marathon. I thought it was MAC only, though?

The original Marathon was. Marathon 2 came out on Mac and Windows. Marathon Trilogy was back to Mac only. Follow the instructions at the link, they have been retooled with Aleph One to work on Windows and Linux also.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Shinjitsu said:
Not even a link?
Someone else did the job for me from the looks of it. If you haven't played these games please do so. Cave Story is an amazing 2D platformer with absolutely lovely spritework and music with solid gameplay all wrapped up in a Metroidvania-like genre. And the most amazing thing about it is that it was done by only one guy who worked on the game for many years. You're doing yourself a great disservice by not playing it. Knytts is another 2D platformer where you go around collecting parts for your broken down spaceship. It's a very atmospheric game where you traverse an alien setting while jumping/climbing over obstacles and enemies. There is no action in this game; there's just you and the environment. Both of these games aren't terribly long, and last no more than a few hours depending on how you play. So there.

Askani

cooljeanius said:
Finally got this working. Wow, is it archaic. Still haven't managed to get my control settings to something comfortable yet...

If you didn't catch it, there is a few hi-res graphics packs at the bottom of the page. Nothing to make the enemies look better though.

Jangaroo

speedpop said:
Most likely a design choice to keep the pixels looking fine.
This. There's a way to make it a bit bigger in full screen but I don't think it looks quite as nice.

Psy-Phi

shintoki said:
Trackmania Nations Forever is limited to the Stadium environment and Stadium vehicles only, I also believe there are less modes but I can't recall since it's been a long time since I played Nations Forever. Arguably the most fun set in the game is in the Stadium levels, but maybe I just grew so accustomed to how those cars controlled on the stadium tileset.

Trackmania United Forever has has Island, Rally, Desert, Snow, Coastal and Bay (think any urban city kind of near water) environments with more classes of vehicles (usually limited to certain environments). Rally cars obviously, Super/Sports cars, 4x4, and regular types of cars. United Forever is essentially every Trackmania game ever made rolled into one.

mr_chun

Tagged.

I downloaded Marathon and all of the extra scenarios and crap that came with it a while ago. It's really hard to adjust back to that kind of shooter. :lol

But hey, free is free, and there's not a lot that my Mac will run. I have Marathon and World of Goo. That's it.

Jangaroo

Parallax Scroll said:
Technically that screen is from the sequel Knytt Stories, but it's cool. Both games are great.
And if you play Knytt Stories, make sure to download the user created scenarios. Many of them are fantastic and just as good as the main game.

Jangaroo said:
And if you play Knytt Stories, make sure to download the user created scenarios. Many of them are fantastic and just as good as the main game.
Really? I downloaded all the supposedly "best" ones a few months after the game was out, and they all seemed to recycle way too much from the basic game (music in particular), or were ultra-hard for no good reason. Are there better ones now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Psy-Phi said:
Trackmania Nations Forever is limited to the Stadium environment and Stadium vehicles only, I also believe there are less modes but I can't recall since it's been a long time since I played Nations Forever. Arguably the most fun set in the game is in the Stadium levels, but maybe I just grew so accustomed to how those cars controlled on the stadium tileset.

Trackmania United Forever has has Island, Rally, Desert, Snow, Coastal and Bay (think any urban city kind of near water) environments with more classes of vehicles (usually limited to certain environments). Rally cars obviously, Super/Sports cars, 4x4, and regular types of cars. United Forever is essentially every Trackmania game ever made rolled into one.
Right but you have the internet so you can race people on crazy maps all day.
It's great.

Jangaroo

Parallax Scroll said:
Really? I downloaded all the supposedly "best" ones a few months after the game was out, and they all seemed to recycle way too much from the basic game (music in particular), or were ultra-hard for no good reason. Are there better ones now?
Definitely. I think the scenarios are hosted on a database now instead of you having to search through the forum when it first came out so it's a lot easier to find them. I checked out some of the user-created levels about a year ago and there were some really high quality stuff. I don't remember any particular names but I'm sure you can find some good ones if you look. The recycled music is a given but the actual level design on some of them are quite good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Quote said:
Starseige: Tribes

This was my first real online gaming experience. I can't imagine how many hours I sank in it and all the awesome mods out there. Tribes 2 was very disappointing, sadly.

OH SHIT.

Why did no one ever tell me about Tribes 1 being free to try out after all these years?

MechWarrior 4 + Expansions is also free. Don't have a link, sorry. It's like Gamemechtech or something like that.

Parham

Banned
.kkrieger (PC Only)

261emwi.jpg

This game is known for only using 96KB of disk space. It isn't the greatest FPS by any means, but it is a fun distraction. At the very least, it's worth playing through to admire how much they fit into such a small amount of space.

Note: The game is still in beta, so it has a couple of bugs.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Prometheus

Cool puzzle game. Takes obvious inspiration from Portal and Mirror's Edge. It gets really difficult. A lot more difficult than Portal, and takes more thought.

It uses UE3/UDK, so the graphics are pretty good too.

John

azentium said:
.kkrieger (PC Only)

261emwi.jpg

This game is known for only using 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB 96KB of disk space. It isn't the greatest free FPS by any means, but it is a fun distraction. At the very least, it's worth playing through to admire how much they fit into such a small amount of space.

Note: The game is still in beta, so it has a couple of bugs.
so getting this :eek:

hetchi

Fantasy Earth Zero

Fantasy_Earth_Zero.jpg

I downloaded the game out of curiosity, looks cool.

:D

Description: Fantasy Earth Zero is a 3rd-person action-MMORPG. There is a large emphasis on PvP on a massive scale. Armies of up to 50 players, each from their own Kingdom, can go head to head in a type of war known as "Kingdom vs. Kingdom." The KvK battles are balanced so that, on the battlefield, one side will have 50 players max and the opposing side will have 50 players. KvK battles are all held on the same server.

At character creation, they create a male/female scout, warrior, or sorcerer. Then, players must choose their allegiance; the Kingdom that they will fight for. This determines the King or ruler that speaks to the player on the battlefield and in towns.

You can also create clan/guilds to play with friends and cooperate with other people. These groups give special benefits.

One of the features of FEZ, that makes it different from most other fantasy-setting MMOs on the Free-to-Play market, is that attacks must be aimed manually and there is no auto-attack. Players manually aim at their opponent and then click the left mouse button to attack. Various special abilities become available to the player as they level up and gain Skill Points. Skill Points are spent to learn new abilities.

Here's a video on the game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ColonelColon said:
Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control II):
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
I've read that this game is awesome, but I've never gotten around to playing it.
This game is some LEGIT old school awesomeness. Highly HIGHLY recommended.

Warning Forever is a great boss run shmup with minimalistic graphics, where the bosses change based on how you kill them. Kinda hard to explain. You'll see when you play it.

Also, for the person who mentioned it, Freespace 2 is not free. The code is open source, but the game is for sale at GoG.

Also, remember N+, the ninja platformer that got released on XBLA and Nintendo DS and stuff? The original version, N, is free on your personal computer. BLAM

Pikelet

Kkrieger is amazing. Horrible game but the way it minimises data puts stuff like the 30gb GTA4 pack to shame.

Tain

BobsRevenge said:
Prometheus

Cool puzzle game. Takes obvious inspiration from Portal and Mirror's Edge. It gets really difficult. A lot more difficult than Portal, and takes more thought.

It uses UE3/UDK, so the graphics are pretty good too.

UDK is so goddamn fun to use. I was working on a deathmatch game where the whole point was an excuse to make ridiculous secrets maps (ahl_5am and shit), but I'm so busy lately.

Hope more people start messing with it, it seems like a great engine to work with even if you don't need all the ridiculous tech.

dwsn

Neo Member
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC/Mac/Linux)
nXS0E.jpg

Class-based Multiplayer FPS. Allied need to complete objectives within a set time frame. Axis attempt to defend. Players are awarded experience points to for their successes which can be used to level up abilities.

Warsow (PC/Mac/Linux)
wUnE6.jpg

Cell shaded Deathmatch FPS. Think Quake 3, but colorful!

Spelunky (PC)
OtetC.jpg

Action-Adventure cave exploration. Levels are randomly generated. Collect items, save damsels, avoid traps and whip snakes. Extremely addictive!

Narbacular Drop (PC)
sE4UC.jpg

It's Portal before Portal!

Facewound (PC)
uXxu3.jpg

2D side-scrolling shooter. Made by Garry of Garry's Mod.

Pikelet said:
Kkrieger is amazing. Horrible game but the way it minimises data puts stuff like the 30gb GTA4 pack to shame.
not sure it would be possible to do a streamed game world compressed like that hehe

Top Bottom