• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free PC Games (not pirated!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date

Parham

Banned
Updated List:

Action / Adventure
--- Ben There, Dan That (PC)
------ Download
--- Beneath a Steel Sky (PC)
------ Download
--- Chalk (PC)
------ Download
--- Cloud (PC)
------ Download
--- God of Thunder (PC)
------ Download
--- Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2 (PC)
------ Download
--- Hero (PC)
------ Download
--- Hero Core (PC)
------ Download
--- Hidden & Dangerous (PC)
------ Download
--- Iji (PC)
------ Download
--- Neverball (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Transformice (PC)
------ Download
--- The Tribly Collection (PC)
------ Download
--- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

DoTA
--- League of Legends (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

Fighting
--- One Must Fall 2097 (PC)
------ Download
--- Streets Of Rage Remake (PC)
------ Download
--- Toribash (PC)
------ Download
--- Vanguard Princess (PC) *The underscore at the end of the file name must be removed in order to install the game.
------ Download

FPS
--- 8-bit Killer (PC)
------ Download
--- Area 51 (PC)
------ Download
--- Battlefield Heroes (PC)
------ Download
--- Chex Quest (PC)
------ Download
--- .kkrieger (PC)
------ Download
--- Marathon Trilogy (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Nexuiz (PC)
------ Download
--- nQuake (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Quake Live (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download Client
--- Starseige: Tribes (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- The Suffering (PC)
------ Download
--- Urban Terror (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- Warsow (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download
--- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC/Mac/Linux) *Multiplayer Only
------ Download

Gamebook (Choose your own adventure)
--- Masq (PC)
------ Download

MMORPG
--- Fantasy Earth Zero (PC) *PvP Only
------ Download
--- Free Realms (PC)
------ Download

Music
--- Frets on Fire (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download

Platformer
--- Canabalt (Flash)
------ Play Now
--- Cave Story (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Eversion (PC)
------ Download
--- I Wanna Be The Guy (PC)
------ Download
--- Knytt (PC)
------ Download
--- N (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- La Mulana (PC)
------ Download
--- Runman (PC)
------ Download
--- Spelunky (PC)
------ Download

Puzzle
--- FGodmom (PC) *Not compatible with Vista or W7
------ Download
--- Narbacular Drop (PC)
------ Download
--- Prometheus (PC) *This game no longer requires UT3
------ Download
--- Tag (PC)
------ Download

RPG
--- Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden (PC)
------ Download
--- The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (PC)
------ Download
--- The Spirit Engine (PC)
------ Download
--- The Spirit Engine 2 (PC)
------ Download

Rougelike
--- Elona (PC)
------ Download
--- Nethack (PC)
------ Download

Shoot 'Em Up
--- Genetos (PC)
------ Download
--- Hydorah (PC)
------ Download
--- rRootage (PC)
------ Download
--- Tyrian (PC) *Mac Port
------ Download
--- Warning Forever (PC)
------ Download
--- Torus Trooper (PC)
------ Download

Shooter
--- Facewound (PC)
------Download
--- GunGirl 2 (PC)
------Download
--- Soldat (PC) *Multiplayer Only
------Download

Simulation:
--- Babylon 5: I've Found Her (PC)
------ Download
--- Dwarf Fortress (PC)
------ Download
--- Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe (PC)
------ Download
--- Strange Adventures in Infinite Space (PC)
------ Download
--- Theme Hospital (PC/Mac/Linux) *Requires DOSBox to run on Mac and Linux
------ Download
--- Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control II) (PC/Mac/Linux) *More information
------ Download

Strategy
--- Battle for Wesnoth (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Command and Conquer Classics (PC)
------ Download
--- Ground Control (PC)
------ Download
--- Panzer General Forever (PC)
------ Download
--- Scorched3D (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download
--- Warzone 2100 (PC/Mac/Linux)
------ Download

Vehicular Combat
--- Death Rally (PC)
------ Download
--- Mechwarrior 4 (PC)
------ Download

If anything is missing from this list, or if any of the links are broken, please tell me.

Sciz

azentium said:
Shoot 'Em Up
--- FGodmom (PC) *Not compatible with Vista or W7
Not even close. It's a Lode Runner-ish puzzle game.

I'd also classify Dwarf Fortress as a sim first and foremost, though there is a roguelike mode.

You also have Nethack listed as MechWarrior 4.

Parham

Banned
Sciz said:
Not even close. It's a Lode Runner-ish puzzle game.

I'd also classify Dwarf Fortress as a sim first and foremost, though there is a roguelike mode.

You also have Nethack listed as MechWarrior 4.
Thanks, the list has been fixed.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
azentium said:
Updated List:
If anything is missing from this list, or if any of the links are broken, please tell me.

Thanks, added to first post!

Grayman

Cindres said:
This thread is fantastic. I'm gonna be away from home during the week with only my old Ubuntu running laptop and these games will do me perfect under WINE.
Warsow is in the games section of your package manager(maybe in featured apps even!). Quake Live also runs in Firefox under linux.

PANZER GENERAL FOREVER
PG Forever is a remake of one of the greatest strategy games ever created - Panzer General. The goal of the project is to preserve the original game mechanics and the characteristic look and feel of this classic game, and at the same time improve all the other aspects: compatibility with modern hardware and operating systems, UI and usability, multiplayer capabilities, AI and customizability.
unitpanel_small.png

moveattack_small.png

disembark_small.png

Corky said:
I...a...this looks like the best thing ever
It really is! I've never been as addicted to this game as any other Flash game ever. Transformice is full of fun, chaos, trolling, lulz, teamwork, owning and WIN!

We even have an official thread here on gaf: click

Awakened

97o7sx.jpg

Nexuiz is my favorite free FPS. It's based on the enhanced Quake engine, darkplaces, with all sorts of graphics options you can crank up. I really like the rocket launcher in this game, because it lets you detonate the rocket whenever with the alt fire button.

Dambrosi

Banned
azentium said:
Updated List:

Fighting
--- postcount=65"]Vanguard Princess[/URL] (PC)[/B]
------ Download

Um, I'd link to the unofficial English PC compatible version instead if I were you, much easier to install and run. Just remember to tell them to remove the underscore from the end of the file name to get it recognized by the computer.

Otherwise, great job you're doing here. Keep it up! :D

Parham

Banned
I added in every game suggested after of updated list was posted.

Dambrosi said:
Um, I'd link to the unofficial English PC compatible version instead if I were you, much easier to install and run. Just remember to tell them to remove the underscore from the end of the file name to get it recognized by the computer.

Otherwise, great job you're doing here. Keep it up! :D
Thanks, the link has been changed.

Gorgon

leroy hacker said:
I checked the site before posting and saw that they had download links for many games which they did not state as being freeware or released to the public, such as Dune.

I would imagine that legitimate freeware titles are clearly listed as such on the site, but they have download links for seemingly every game, whether freeware or not. The vast majority of listings on that website are of pirated content.

Let's get one thing straight. The site itself contains links for many games, some of them still legally bound to someone and others legally free. I provided the link to the site because it's NOT illegal to go there, what's illegal is to download some of the games there. It is your responsability to check game by game.

As for Dune, the site says "Software Copyright: Virgin Interactive ". That's pretty clear, isn't it? If it was now freeware it would state so.

Also, there's an option on the left side of the page to list all freeware titles. If you don't want to search for the legal status of a game and just want to look at an endless list of freeware games, you can do so.

Also notice that one of the great things about this site is that most game entries contain information on the developer, year of release, publisher, manual, etc for each game. Not only that but it also contains a small review with a couple of screeshots for each game, which is great since it gives you an idea of what the game is.

Zenith

Banned
The site itself contains links for many games, some of them still legally bound to someone and others legally free. I provided the link to the site because it's NOT illegal to go there, what's illegal is to download some of the games there. It is your responsability to check game by game.

that situation is identical to any warez/torrent site.

Gorgon

Zenith said:
that situation is identical to any warez/torrent site.

Fair enough, but a torrent site in itself is not illegal. It is only illegal when it comes to downloading illegal material. As I stated the site contains hundreds, or maybe thousands, of freeware games. It's simply a mater of choosing. Nothing wromg with that in principle. It's a valid link regarding the OP.

Also I think it is appropriate to post this from the site's FAQ:

Home of the Underdogs (HOTU) is a museum of PC game underdogs-- games that were underrated and/or undersold when they were released. We believe that only by paying tribute to them (and distributing them if they were discontinued by their publishers) can the memories of these overlooked titles be preserved in the gaming community. Our aim is akin to Project Gutenberg, a vast archive that aims to make books and information available in electronic format to the public at no charge. As we consider HOTU a museum, so do we consider ourselves historians. (For copyright issues, we cover that later in this FAQ).

Is Home of the Underdogs an "abandonware" site?

Yes and no. Many underdogs on this site have been discontinued by their publishers due to disappointing sales. They are therefore abandonware by definition. However, our goal is to pay tribute to underrated PC games of all ages, so you will also find reviews of recent underdogs that have not been abandoned by their publishers. In such cases, you will always find a link to either the official order page, or a large, reputable on-line store, in the "Get the game" box on the game's info sheet.
A quick way to find a list of most underdogs that are still sold by their publishers is to select "1997" or later years from the "By Year" drop-down menu on the left navigation bar. Most of these recent games are still sold by their publishers. We strongly encourage you to buy them-- their developers need all the income they can get to make future classics for our benefit :)

Despite the illegal status of abandonware, we believe that we are offering a valuable service to the gaming community: classic game collectors have a chance to retrieve games that have otherwise been lost or rendered defective with the passage of time. As our Disclaimer printed on every page makes clear, we will gladly remove download links to any game that is either 1) still being sold by the publisher, or 2) at the request of the publishers themselves. Encouraging publishers to continue publishing great classics of yore has always been this site's foremost goals, and we will gladly link to the publisher's order or download site without hesitation should they make their products available again, whether commercially or as freeware.

That said, we are continually seeking permission from copyright holders to distribute their games on this site. If you are a copyright holder and would like to grant us permission (or request that your games be taken off-line, as the case may be), please contact us. If you want to voice support for abandonware, check out the following petition sites:

Do you upload full version of shareware games?

Only if they have been abandoned by their publishers. We treat shareware underdogs the same way we treat commercial games: if their publishers still publish them, we link to the official site where you can download the shareware version and register it. If you see a download link in "Get the game" box instead of an off-site link, that means the game has been abandoned or made freeware by the publisher. In these cases, what you can download is always the registered version

"Warez," i.e. any game or program that is still being sold by its publisher. Although we are aware that both warez and abandonware (as we define it) are illegal, we do see strong differences in moral justification (simply put, there is no moral justification behind a warez site). Our rationale on uploading abandonware is outlined above.

Now, I'm not saying that abandonware is legal, and the owner of the site recognizes this too. But as I said, the site contains inumerous freeware choices and downloading those is NOT illegal. Also, as I said, there is nothing wrong per se with using a torrent site as long as you don't download the illegal stuff. This site has a purpose, it's not just another pirate site, and as such in my opinion it is a legitimate link regarding the OP and, since it offers a plethora of freeware material, it is not, I think, against the rules of GAF. If a moderator thinks otherwise then feel free to delete the link.

Also I think it's important to mention that there are games on that site for which the present owner of the IP has given legal permission for the site to offer free downloads. That is an example of the high standing of this site among the developer comunity, comercial and indy.

Still, if a moderator feels the site should not be linked, feel free to delete it from my post.

Nilla

Banned
Desktop Dungeons has had a colossal impact on my productivity lately, and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

1zp1s1e.png

Free, and ~ 3MB to download. There is NO REASON not to give this game a try.

It's sort of like a cross between Rogue and Minesweeper.

It might even be my 2010 GotY so far.

D3RANG3D

Open Arena FPS
http://openarena.ws/smfnews.php
Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix

Alien Arena FPS
http://icculus.org/alienarena/rpa/
Windows/Mac/Linux

Zdaemon (Doom 1 Doom2 etc. Deathmatch Client) FPS
Technically not Free as it requires Doom WADs to play, OTOH it comes with a shareware WAD to allow "free play":lol
http://www.zdaemon.org/
Windows/Linux

Sauerbraten FPS
http://sauerbraten.org/
Windows/Linux/Mac

Secret Maryo Chronicles Platformer
http://www.secretmaryo.org/
Windows/Linux/Mac

Supertux Platformer
http://supertux.lethargik.org/download.html

Frozen Bubble Puzzle
http://www.frozen-bubble.org/downloads/
Linux/Mac/Mobile/Windows/Web Browser

Circus Linux Puzzle
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/circus-linux/
Windows/Linux/Mac/Etc.

Armagetron Tron the Video Game
http://armagetronad.net/

Maelstrom Asteroids type game
http://devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/

Chromium BSU Shmup
http://www.reptilelabour.com/software/chromium/

Shishen Sho Mahjong Tile Game
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winshisen/

Was anybody able to get the free bethesda download to work under daggerfall xl?
http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

Tremulous First Person RTS
http://tremulous.net/

Tried out The Suffering. It's a great (superior) port and is really good. Played a couple of hours last night and it's a little like the Silent Hill games.

Anyway, highly recommended.

Tower of the Sorcerer. Looks like a dungeon crawler and has some traditional RPG elements (attack/defense stats, hp, items, sword/shield upgrades) but it plays like a puzzle game (you must think ahead and decide what's the best order to defeat a monster, raise what stat, use a key on a door). I think it's quite unique, I don't know anything like it.

I love how the game looks so simple & innocent, yet it's super challenging & unforgiving (typical for a game made by a Japanese guy).
tots.png

http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/win95/game/fh146559.html
Setup must be run as admin in Vista.

Haunted

azentium said:
Masq (PC Only)
2zgaqvr.jpg

I'm not really sure how to describe this game, other than it being similar to a gamebook. A single playthrough of the game takes about 30-45 minutes and there are about a dozen variations to the central plot. All in all, it is an enjoyable experience.
Better than Heavy Rain.

Glix said:
How could we all forget about...

http://sarien.net/

TONS OF OLD SIERRA GAMES THAT PLAY IN YOUR BROWSER!!! WOOT! :D

Edit - they can be a little weird sometimes.

Let's take a look in the "About" section, shall we?

I sincerely hope that Activision Blizzard can appreciate this tribute to these game franchises (as their original creators such as Al Lowe do), and not ask me to close down the site due to copyright issues.

Translation: pirated.

Gorgon

someguyinahat said:
Let's take a look in the "About" section, shall we?

Translation: pirated.

Yep, pretty much. All Sierra games, to my knowledge, are fully copyrighted and no single case I know of has been permited a free distribution.

A petty, since many of those games are true classics.

This page has links to multiple free games included on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851573

For ATI/AMD (Radeon) graphic card users: install - storefront
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch [6]
- Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

For Nvidia (GeForce) graphic card users: install - storefront
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch [6]
- Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
- Portal: First Slice (demo install - storefront)

For all Steam users:
America's Army 3: install - storefront
BattleForge [1][4][7][8]: install - storefront
Between [1][4]: install - storefront
Codename Gordon: install
COIL [1]: install - storefront
Mightier [1]: install - storefront
Peggle Extreme: install - storefront
Sam & Max: Episode 4: install - storefront
Spacewar: install
TrackMania Nations Forever [2]: install - storefront

NZNova

Canabalt is great. However you can largely trivialize the speeding up aspect of the gameplay by hitting every box you come across as that slows you back down and the distance between roofs is based on your current speed. Don't hit more than one box on a single roof though, or you'll slow down too much to make the next jump.

Top Bottom