• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friend wants a DVD burner. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
A friend of mine asked for advice on what to get for a DVD burner. I said I had no idea, but would ask on a forum. So, what's a good brand of DVD burner to get?

B'z-chan

Banned
How do the NEC's hold up with playing DVD media? Are the laser easy to burn out?

Cause for 80 bucks i might have to look into that.

Ecrofirt

they're really good drives.

I woulsn't go with the 2510, though. While it may have DL capability, it's only at 2.4x, which is far too slow.

I'd hold off on a DL burner until it get's faster and maybe there's a -R DL (I don't know if that's in the works or not).

tenchir

But his friends wants a burner(I assume soon). If he has to buy it right away, then why shouldn't he buy a 2510A over a 2500A? How soon will next next drive with DL capability will be out? How much will it cost? And how fast?

Diablos

tenchir said:
For 20 buck more, you can get the NEC 2510A which gives you double layer burning capability.

Yeah, and it takes an hour to burn a dual-layer disc, and dual-layer media is $10 a disc.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wait a minute... Dual Layer burners burn even single layer discs @ 2.4x?!

Question: might sound stupid, but when you burn DVDs can you still do that fancy "buffer underrun protection" or whatever it's called? The thing that ensures data makes it to the burner regardless of what you do with the computer at the time. I imagine it depends on the software package you use and not the DVD burner itself, but I thought I would ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom