• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Salsa

49fd4b9e0bcb5a5f148b3191576938c45277c84c.png

Developer - Ubisoft Montpellier
Publisher - Ubisoft
Designer - Eric Chahi (Out of this World)
Writer - Laurent Genefort (acclaimed Science Fiction writer, winner of the Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire)
Platforms - PC, Xbox 360, PS3
Genre - God Game, Sandbox
Mode - Single-Player
Ratings - ESRB: E10+/PEGI: 12
Distribution - Steam, GamersGate, GreenManGaming, PSN, XBLA​

008c019f08e3422ae0e41f6dcd2d70196e7a9178.png

In From Dust, players assume a god-like first-person perspective from which they manipulate an archipelago environment in an effort to save, and enlighten, a nomadic tribe. With a spherical cursor, the user controls certain types of matter, namely soil, lava, water, and vegetation, in real time. Lava cools to form solid rock, vegetation propagates in soil, and moving water quickly erodes terrain. Physical changes to the world occur extremely rapidly, allowing players to restructure islands within minutes.

Campaigns in From Dust are structured as a sequence of missions, whereby completing certain objectives expedites the tribe's progress and bestows additional powers, such as the capacity to jellify water. Tribal shamans alert the player to natural disasters, notably tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, shortly before they occur. These disasters can be inhibited through creative, physical manipulation of the environment: a tsunami can be jellified, wildfires extinguished, and lava flows diverted. Although there is no 'explicit sandbox' mode, Chahi stated that each mission features a distinct map, which the player can return to and manipulate further.

Following the completion of Heart of Darkness in 1998, Chahi exited the video games industry to explore other interests, and subsequently developed a passion for volcanology. During an interview, he recalled the inspirational trip to an active volcano:

'I decided to create Project Dust during a trip in Vanuatu in 1999, I was near the Yasur crater and it was strongly active. I could see its explosion; the sound was incredibly loud, like an air plane breaking the soundwall. Bombs were falling everywhere and sometimes really close to us. I was at the same time fascinated by this breathtaking beauty and really scared. I remember I had two thoughts at this very moment: 'I want to create another game before I die' and 'in the game I want to convey this ambivalence of Nature, beautiful and potentially violent at the same time'.

In 2006, Chahi presented the concept to Ubisoft, who accepted the proposal. Once the development was underway, Montpellier even recorded 'audio from a real volcano' for inclusion in the game.

An essential aspect of From Dust is the environment simulation, which underlies the player's interactions with the world. Developers intended that the world appear as a 'living thing', a dynamic and spontaneous entity, irrespective of the player's actions upon it. Chahi emphasised the difficulty of balancing this technical simulation with individual enjoyment, commenting that sometimes 'it would take days to find the right value for gameplay that's also aesthetically pleasing'. Montpellier accommodated this dynamism through a system of rules, which govern the elements of the simulation: flowing water and moving soil result in the emergence of rivers. Lakes at the base of a volcano accumulate sediment, which increases their viscosity, and similar rules govern volcanic eruptions, lava flow, and the spread of vegetation. With each rule, the layers accumulate to the point at which the developers are able to create an entire landscape.

A central aspect of the user interface is the large sphere, with which players interact with the world and manipulate events. When a user selects a material, such as water, the appearance of the sphere changes accordingly and the fluid can be placed directly onto the surface of the world. Chahi stated that the developers abandoned the traditional head-up display (HUD), and chose an abstract form instead, the sphere, which they then 'fully integrated in the storyline'. Elaborating further, he stated that a tribe's music would also affect the appearance of the sphere.

In September 2010, Chahi stated that From Dust was a 'solo experience', although if the game's sales were promising, he indicated that the team would consider 'adding an editor and a multiplayer mode'

3f1a521d4cc66f8296445ef0818d2fc07a5098cf.png

a81774dc088d211135c34cd5b5d738574532d9ef.png

FromDust_concept_chaoticWater-noscale.jpg

from_dust_1.jpg

from-dustca002calmvillage.jpg

from-dustca001coastlandscape.jpg

7148d853677cf955dc636e69f21fad6507136654.png

FROM-DUST_S_004_WaterSphere1.jpg

from_dust_s_002_island.jpg

from-dust_s_014_running.jpg

FROM-DUST_S_015_Waves.jpg

FROM_DUST_S_033_Totem.jpg

from_dust_s_001_ground.jpg

FROM-DUST_S_029_RunRunRun.jpg

7dc2957932160d3170105acf4d532a7031c7ef0c.png

02c37307cd7bc3768d76c5c5a31bea73b6c0002c.png

pending

fcf7e0d6f24d7db88b41f49aa0cc57266014976c.png

BeeDog

Really looking forward to it, too bad there's no solid PS3 date yet. Are there any videos that clearly show the game being played on one of the consoles?

Salsa

BeeDog said:
Really looking forward to it, too bad there's no solid PS3 date yet. Are there any videos that clearly show the game being played on one of the consoles?

the third dev diary shows gameplay, hard to tell if its PC or Console since there are no prompts

Empty

never played a god game before, so i'm not sure how much i'll like the genre, but i love the games' style and i'm a fan of chahi; probably the summer of arcade game i'm most excited about.

MNC

Looking good there. I was already interested in this game, but when you named the world Populous I freaked. I can also interest my girlfriend now that I can call this game 'a sequel to populous' :p

Though I have to ask myself; how long will this stay interesting? There's ofcourse more to it than just shaping the world but it's been pretty lay-low so far.

Salsa

dragonelite said:
Does this has like a endless mode or a zen mode.

from the OP:

Although there is no 'explicit sandbox' mode, Chahi stated that each mission features a distinct map, which the player can return to and manipulate further.

thing is; this game needs to SELL, cause Eric has expressed many times that he has plans for DLC (including new game modes) if the game does well.

SalsaShark said:
thing is; this game needs to SELL, cause Eric has expressed many times that he has plans for DLC (including new game modes) if the game does well.
Well, I've been like this since it was first announced:

Xap2c.jpg

This will be the first XBLA game I'll buy since... Braid, I think?

Gowans

The GB quicklook compounded my interest in this.

Can't wait, I need to get Bastion and Ms Spolosionman finished quick.

Card Boy

Banned
Well get this if i make another 15 bucks in referral monies from GMG. Should be easy once Just Cause 2 becomes a daily deal.

Salsa

Gez said:
Well get this if i make another 15 bucks in referral monies from GMG. Should be easy once Just Cause 2 becomes a daily deal.

i think we can pretty much confirm that it isnt steamworks by this point

also buy it dammit, the game needs money

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Looks awesome, but my main concern is whether it has enough content (will there be enough scenarios, tools, are there multiple ways to solve a problem or are you generally confined in finding the one true solution, do your actions affect your tribe in potentially many different and interesting ways, etc etc)

Salsa

Tempy said:
Looks awesome, but my main concern is whether it has enough content (will there be enough scenarios, tools, are there multiple ways to solve a problem or are you generally confined in finding the one true solution, do your actions affect your tribe in potentially many different and interesting ways, etc etc)

There'll be more than enough content for $15

Card Boy

Banned
SalsaShark said:
i think we can pretty much confirm that it isnt steamworks by this point

also buy it dammit, the game needs money

I am, i need 15bucks in referral money though. Just Cause 2 is going to be a daily during Square Enix week and i will make heaps of referral money through another forum.

I will just bite the bullet and use GMG's Capsule program considering its going to be free.

Twinduct

Whoot, my most anticipated title this year! Good lord the genre needs some fucking love! Gonna buy/ gift this shit so hard.

Thanks for the OP salsa!

Nekrono

Really excited about this game, we (or at least I) needed a game like this, about time and so refreshing, the visuals look amazing and can't wait to max it out for full image quality, I hope it's on Steam on the 27th, day 1 if so.

I hope it sells well.
MNC said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-from-dust/17-4531/

WATCH THIS QUICK LOOK AND GET SOLD ON THE GAME.

I was lolling at the poor tribesman being washed away in the beginning

I want to preorder this on steam!
Nice, although I'm not sure if I want to spoil how the start of the game is played and the mechanics, definitely interested though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow. I saw the GB Quicklook and knew I really wanted to buy this, not knowing who designed it. I probably shouldn't be surprised. Neato.

MNC

The quick look totally did it for me. Populous XL basically, bigger, better and awesome. I NEED THIS NOW.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
SalsaShark said:
Its really going under the radar though, and its a lost genre of sorts. Genuinely worried.

There could be a hell of a lot more promotion for XBLA in general. People are really missing out.

Funny, I was just thinking about this game while I was having breakfast this morning, and here we are, an OT. I'm definitely on board for this!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think the typical Steam user will drive this home anyway. If it doesn't go so well, give it a few months to cool off and throw a sale on to it.

But yeah, anyone apprehensive about it should really give the Quick Look a run through or the Dev Diaries.

The title had me worried when I saw Peter Molyneux, but you meant Old Pete which is reassuring.

I've had my eye on this for a while, going to check out the Quick Look now.

Twinduct

God damn, can't wait anymore! This honestly combines two of my favorite game mechanics. Fluid based physics and God play. Its like this game is made for me!
I love you Chahi! Forget MP, just add on a different elements to interact with through DLC.

Wonder how much money ubisoft spent on this?
If there is anything good in this world, this game well sell blockbusters and the genre will get some extensive love (read support) from other publishers.

All of this needs to evolve to getting something similar (read duplicate) to dungeon keeper. I really need a modern iteration of that game type.

Top Bottom